Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] I'm building us a planet

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
If there's no OOC invisible walls, what's to stop Arcturix from taking over Tarjikstan, Turious, Praelidium, Carausmia, Roxilia, Upresh, all those tiny little nations that can't do anything about it? It ruins RP for those people, but since there's no RP way to stop it, it can happen. Neutral land should remain neutral so new nations can have it if people join our Nation States group.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
If there's no OOC invisible walls, what's to stop Arcturix from taking over Tarjikstan, Turious, Praelidium, Carausmia, Roxilia, Upresh, all those tiny little nations that can't do anything about it?
In RL, what's to stop the USA from taking over Mexico, Canada, Cuba, and the caribbean, all those comparatively tiny little nations?

Politics. If the USA went on a militant rampage, the rest of the world wouldn't just sit around patiently. Similarly, if Arcturix goes on a militant rampage, the rest of the region won't just sit around patiently.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
If there's no OOC invisible walls, what's to stop Arcturix from taking over Tarjikstan, Turious, Praelidium, Carausmia, Roxilia, Upresh, all those tiny little nations that can't do anything about it? It ruins RP for those people, but since there's no RP way to stop it, it can happen. Neutral land should remain neutral so new nations can have it if people join our Nation States group.
dis man speaks truth. all hail prophet tarjiki.

In RL, what's to stop the USA from taking over Mexico, Canada, Cuba, and the caribbean, all those comparatively tiny little nations?

Politics. If the USA went on a militant rampage, the rest of the world wouldn't just sit around patiently. Similarly, if Arcturix goes on a militant rampage, the rest of the region won't just sit around patiently.
this man also spek truth. to quote his sig, Don't Doubt Sinclair.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
No, the point is that if you're scared of Arcturix taking over Tarjikstan or anyone else, why don't you react to your fears IN RP, and create a coalition/join a defence agreement? That's EXACTLY what NATO stands for, man! If you think such actions would be ''Ruining RP'', yet you appreciate roleplaying as a dictatorial, islamist nation that has very radical measures, but you whine at the prospect of having a stronger neighbor, then I don't see what you want apart from seeing others having problems. Do you think Carausmia was having ''fun'', and not having it's RP ruined, when a coalition of Legisa, Natrizima and others fight off them on /their own native lands/ when they try to reclaim their rights? Probably not, but Rextom went with it, and it ended with everyone going through the RP, and that's great!

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
No, the point is that if you're scared of Arcturix taking over Tarjikstan or anyone else, why don't you react to your fears IN RP, and create a coalition/join a defence agreement? That's EXACTLY what NATO stands for, man! If you think such actions would be ''Ruining RP'', yet you appreciate roleplaying as a dictatorial, islamist nation that has very radical measures, but you whine at the prospect of having a stronger neighbor, then I don't see what you want apart from seeing others having problems. Do you think Carausmia was having ''fun'', and not having it's RP ruined, when a coalition of Legisa, Natrizima and others fight off them on /their own native lands/ when they try to reclaim their rights? Probably not, but Rextom went with it, and it ended with everyone going through the RP, and that's great!
Didn't mean to make this personal. I used those nations because they're small and relatively low tech, where as Arcturix is big. I could replace them with Somalia and Pakistan, compared to big guys China or Russia, and the comparison would mean the same thing. You seem kinda upset. Didn't mean to offend.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Didn't mean to make this personal. I used those nations because they're small and relatively low tech, where as Arcturix is big. I could replace them with Somalia and Pakistan, compared to big guys China or Russia, and the comparison would mean the same thing. You seem kinda upset. Didn't mean to offend.
'Am not at all, broboy. Only depending a point, sorry if I overuse punctuation!

Exosferik

Storm's Landing Wanderer
I am all for random placing of my nation..as people rarely chose where they settle. So stuck me wherever it suits you the best and I will alter my factbook and future RP in accordance.

The Sprakian archipelago is very nice and I am quite sure to like weather there.

P.S.
Idea with island...
I would like to notify that I may or may not ( *winks* ) a conquest of those islands, as shown on ''Operation Paladin''. As so, I support the suggestion of not using them (the islands between Mechanica and Arcturix).
...is quite funny as I am a Slovak and if you looked at Cold war era political maps - Czechoslovakia actually was a lil´ 15 million nation right in between two warmongering blocs. So ruling a nation in that position is 100% historically plausible. It should be also quite interesting to RP as in foreign sphere of influence or even occupied. So if you don´t have any free land left, I could try it too.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
...is quite funny as I am a Slovak and if you looked at Cold war era political maps - Czechoslovakia actually was a lil´ 15 million nation right in between two warmongering blocs. So ruling a nation in that position is 100% historically plausible. It should be also quite interesting to RP as in foreign sphere of influence or even occupied. So if you don´t have any free land left, I could try it too.
+1 vote for Exosferik playing about-to-be-invaded Czechoslovakia.
(I went to the Czech republic once. lovely city. wonderful communists)

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Do you think Carausmia was having ''fun'', and not having it's RP ruined, when a coalition of Legisa, Natrizima and others fight off them on /their own native lands/ when they try to reclaim their rights? Probably not, but Rextom went with it, and it ended with everyone going through the RP, and that's great!
Note that the coalition wasn't a result of the war, but rather something that I'd formed prior to Upresh's relocation and the subsequent conflict with Carausmia, but that's beside the point. Just wanted to clarify anyway.

On the topic at hand, I'm against OOC walls preventing players from attacking players. Legisa as a country is wary of Arcturix, as it knows that in a one on one war, Legisa stands no chance. This is why my King has been travelling Legisa's neighbours, forming alliances. However, I do believe that uncharted territory should remain as such in case a new player wants to join in on the Nation States fun. Then again, new players can always join by partitioning themselves from an existing nation, with OOC consent of course.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
On the topic at hand, I'm against OOC walls preventing players from attacking players. Legisa as a country is wary of Arcturix, as it knows that in a one on one war, Legisa stands no chance. This is why my King has been travelling Legisa's neighbours, forming alliances. However, I do believe that uncharted territory should remain as such in case a new player wants to join in on the Nation States fun. Then again, new players can always join by partitioning themselves from an existing nation, with OOC consent of course.
I understand the argument of keeping uncharted territory for new players (although the only remaining uncharted territory is the exact islands concerned by Operation Paladin x-x ), but I find it very hard to explain RP wise (that includes partitionning other countries) and to back up. Countries like, Praelidium, Mad Kindar, etc etc. are sadly awkward to place due to those reasons. In my opinion, if we get too much people, and we have to continue partitionning big people OOCly without any roleplay reason, I think we should find a reason to establish a new world including everyone in a roleplay-legitimate manner, and make it so you can't join the proper world map when it's established. I have nothing against Praelidium, Kindar and all the new nations, it's just that I find awkward to suddenly having to acknowledge a bit of Sincronia suddenly not Sincronia, and for no reason in RP xD

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
While it's entirely up to the whole HW nation states community, I'd be happy with "resetting" with a new map and new rules. One such rule would be allocating populations to your state, rather than following the highly unrealistic N'S population system. And perhaps a planning phase before the rp starts? I'm getting ahead of myself, but thems my opinions.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
While it's entirely up to the whole HW nation states community, I'd be happy with "resetting" with a new map and new rules. One such rule would be allocating populations to your state, rather than following the highly unrealistic N'S population system. And perhaps a planning phase before the rp starts? I'm getting ahead of myself, but thems my opinions.

''Allocating populations to your state''? what do you mean? That small, younger nations would suddenly become as strong as Sincronia, Volopia, Arcturix and Mechanica? I'm not really for that, no ;/

Unless you mean something else?

Last edited:

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
''Allocating populations to your state''? what do you mean? That small, younger nations would suddenly become as strong as Sincronia, Volopia, Arcturix and Mechanica? I'm not really for that, no ;/

Unless you mean something else?
Why would they become as strong as the nations you mentioned? It would be policed fairly so that the transition from the transition maintains the balance of power.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I believe Valonyx is concerned that younger nations are going to suddenly claim themselves to be more powerful.

while I agree that going by NS's population will be highly unrealistic, I believe Valonyx's concern is that if players get to choose their own populations, they'll claim huge populations and huge tracts of land.

I'd like to point out right now that in real life, the nations with the most political power have next to no land, and miniscule populations. our current world puts the largest countries as the most powerful, and the smallest countries as insignificant, which to me is failing to acknowledge the complex forces at work. i'm babbling. let me stop babbling, and list some things.

firstly, population size and land size have no correlation. there will be large countries with low populations. there will be small countries with large populations.

secondly, neither population size nor land size correlate to political power.

thirdly, hating on younger nations and forcing them to play weaklings just because they're new to gameplay is.... kinda elitist, and a bit rude. people should justify their own strength with their issues, with careful research, and with explicit worldbuilding. not with how old their nation is.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Actually, most of the very powerful countries IRL have massive amounts of land, since having enough resources to grow to superpower status requires lots and lots of land to take them from.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Actually, most of the very powerful countries IRL have massive amounts of land, since having enough resources to grow to superpower status requires lots and lots of land to take them from.
except Europe, because their moment of colonization took resources from their colony lands.

I mean, when you think of it, pretty big exception.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
except Europe, because their moment of colonization took resources from their colony lands.

I mean, when you think of it, pretty big exception.
My point remains that you need lots of land to attain superpower status.