Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Nationstates] Mapmaking

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Gaby wants to make awesome high-definition maps for everyone.

I was reading through the Cartographer's Guild forums, and I've been inspired to draw maps. been wanting to do this for a while but now I'm pumped and ready.

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 7.21.22 PM.png

that isn't indicative of the final project (and it's actually a trace of the borders and landmarks lol), but essentially,

I'll be making high-def versions of nation's maps, following the precise coastline and drawing more naturalistic borders for stuff. also part of my services is finding points of interest inside your nation and analyzing the geography and borders. example:

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 10.42.48 PM.png

the Lonely Mountain is north of New Kindar @Exosferik

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 10.45.02 PM.png

the mountains where Centurius resides is split in two by a canyon that ends in the north of Imdolia, becoming a river that splits the latter country in half.

(("ok Gaby, how'd you know thats a canyon?" mountain range interrupted by sudden hills. a river happens to be flowing from the end of that line of hills. canyons are caused by rivers. it was a deduction. B) the sort of deduction that I would do for a fee.))

so I guess cause these things need applications,

Name of Nation:
Scope of Map:
(just the nation? the nation and neighboring nations? the whole continent? don't ask me to map out the entire world pls.)
Any Interesting Stats?
Any Interesting Lore?
(natural wonders you'd written about already)
Any Points of Interest to Locate? (manmade things you'd written about in lore)
Capital Placement: (note: this is WITHIN it's current hex. I'm not moving it outside the hex Sinclair placed it in)
- you want me to figure it out for myself, do you want to just keep it at the center of the hex, or do you want to tell me where you want it?
- if you're letting me pick, I need to know why your was your capital city chosen because it was one of the biggest cities in the nation? because it was a defensible place? because it was at the stop of a profitable trade route? because it rests near a sacred location? or for some other reason?
What kind of map would you want? (you know, there's like, simple but charming hand-drawn maps, those fanciful hand-drawn maps from like Tolkien and stuff, those antique map styles with the lines everywhere (and I have no idea how to do), then all those modern map styles. I mean, I might feel most comfortable with my hand-drawn style, but you're allowed to ask for other styles. once I get some maps drawn, I'll show them as example styles.

and idk ok add anything you want me to know.

for final product maps, I'd most likely be doing them in hand-drawn style, with full color and all that jazz. they will also have a legend, and be very very pretty.

Last edited:

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Gaby wants to make awesome high-definition maps for everyone.

I was reading through the Cartographer's Guild forums, and I've been inspired to draw maps. been wanting to do this for a while but now I'm pumped and ready.

View attachment 63631

that isn't indicative of the final project (and it's actually a trace of the borders and landmarks lol), but essentially,

I'll be making high-def versions of nation's maps, following the precise coastline and drawing more naturalistic borders for stuff. also part of my services is finding points of interest inside your nation and analyzing the geography and borders. example:

View attachment 63633

the Lonely Mountain is north of New Kindar @Exosferik

View attachment 63634

the mountains where Centurius resides is split in two by a canyon that ends in the north of Imdolia, becoming a river that splits the latter country in half.

(("ok Gaby, how'd you know thats a canyon?" mountain range interrupted by sudden hills. a river happens to be flowing from the end of that line of hills. canyons are caused by rivers. it was a deduction. B) the sort of deduction that I would do for a fee.))

so I guess cause these things need applications,

Name of Nation:
Scope of Map:
(just the nation? the nation and neighboring nations? the whole continent? don't ask me to map out the entire world pls.)
Any Interesting Stats?
Any Interesting Lore?
(natural wonders you'd written about already)
Any Points of Interest to Locate? (manmade things you'd written about in lore)
Capital Placement: (note: this is WITHIN it's current hex. I'm not moving it outside the hex Sinclair placed it in)
- you want me to figure it out for myself, do you want to just keep it at the center of the hex, or do you want to tell me where you want it?
- if you're letting me pick, I need to know why your was your capital city chosen because it was one of the biggest cities in the nation? because it was a defensible place? because it was at the stop of a profitable trade route? because it rests near a sacred location? or for some other reason?

and idk ok add anything you want me to know.

for final product maps, I'd most likely be doing them in hand-drawn style, with full color and all that jazz. they will also have a legend, and be very very pretty.
@Tomato150 you wanted me to do Chicanista?
Name of Nation: Kronea
Scope of Map: The subcontinent it's sitting on.
Any Interesting Stats? quite popular to tourists... it's a bit like Australia, although nearly no deserts, and the weather and fauna is similar to the great sequoia forests of Colorado. ...not really like Australia, after all..
Capital Placement: the closest to the naturally-formed harbor, aka next to water.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Name of Nation: Kronea
Scope of Map: The subcontinent it's sitting on.
Any Interesting Stats? quite popular to tourists... it's a bit like Australia, although nearly no deserts, and the weather and fauna is similar to the great sequoia forests of Colorado. ...not really like Australia, after all..

Capital Placement: the closest to the naturally-formed harbor, aka next to water.

.... the stats. I meant nationstates stats XD.

lemme see what I can do. one Kron, coming up.

I shoulda added this to the thing, but what kinda map do you want?

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
.... the stats. I meant nationstates stats XD.

lemme see what I can do. one Kron, coming up.

I shoulda added this to the thing, but what kinda map do you want?
What do ya mean, what kind of map? ._. the kind that's in the first post?

Gaby

Lord of Altera
What do ya mean, what kind of map? ._. the kind that's in the first post?
so something most like what I got with the tracing?

ok. I wanted to draw my own ground on the map, but I'll try my hardest to trace that. heh.

.... for the record,
I'm trying out this mapmaking thing for the first time, so what you see above there is just me getting the hand of how things feel.

the uh. look through this website for a while and you'll see what I mean by different kinds of maps.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/forum.php

xlockedon

Loyal Servant of Altera
Name of Nation: Rondileau
Scope of Map: A medium sized area around Rondileau.
Any Interesting Lore? Rather large forest on outskirts of territory.
Any Points of Interest to Locate? None yet.
Capital Placement: Close to water due to trade (see Rondileau's location on map)
What kind of map would you want? Regular hand-drawn map.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Name of Nation: Kogata
Scope of Map: Entire world :3 Do the east for now I suppose.
Any Interesting Stats? None that would be relevant to the map.
Any Interesting Lore? As Kogata's main island has a towering mountain to the north, it holds significance in the country's religion and culture.
Any Points of Interest to Locate? Kogata's main city, Hamada, is very large, roughly the size of London.
Capital Placement: Hamada is on the lower east coast of Kogata's main island, I'm not sure what hex that is at this moment, I'll find it. Nevermind, where Sin placed it is fine.
What kind of map would you want? Hand drawn or "modern" would be good. Maybe a style similar to Google Maps, plain and easy to understand. Alternatively if you want a challenge you could do a topographic map.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
you could do a topographic map.
no thank you.

also I think as I have 3 in the queue, I should go and like put a little limit. as in I can only work on 3 at a time. yes

I tried to work on Kronea but got sidetracked. gonna try to get back on track with that.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Drawing Map of the East, have Kronea map in a photoshop document.

@Valonyx i almost think putting text in that kron language might be cool. When i get to your map, I'll contact you about that

@LightTwig Kogata is really small on your map. I dont even think I have space to put in your not-fuji. If you'd like, I can make another map zooming in on Kogata, and insert some madeup terrain (including the aforementioned mountain) if you want that.

Also, The Map of the East includes all countries on that continent:

@Saelihn @Glados @Sir Andrew Wallins @VanquishedVyre @Ray1333 @Exosferik

Theres a few things on this map you'll need to be made aware of.

Currently on the map:
New Kindar's capital is coastal.
Orpilia's capital rests on the river itself
Jungdu's capital is on the coast of the inland sea
Imdolia's capital is currently in the middle of a forest
Chavata's capital is on the coast of a lake
Centurius' capital is on the side of a mountain (though in retrospect, a valley would make more sense...)

Currently, there are no labels. Unless our continent is named, I dont see how I can make such. Not to mention the question of whether we'd label capital cities, important landmarks, etc.

If any of you want, I might be able to place non-capital cities. I'll ask about that when I finish the map with its natural landmarks.

Currently, our rivers are a touch simple. I can change that, make them branch out in a natural way. If I do that, of course, I'll draw the rivers based on topography first, territory borders second. id want to make sure everybody wants that before I do it, however.

I might also mark a few places as points of interest, where a certain sort of civilization may rise up, or where theres a holy site or a natural wonder. That'll be fun, but first I have to finish tracing this coastline.

Thats about all i got so far.

Last edited:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I might also mark a few places as points of interest, where a certain sort of civilization may rise up, or where theres a holy site or a natural wonder. That'll be fun, but first I have to finish tracing this coastline.
Not sure if you're interested or not, but the world generator used to make our map also had an option to add cities, landmarks, and labels to the map. I didn't add them to our map, seeing as I figured most people would want to place their own cities and such, but it's still possible to recreate the map so as to show them, like this:
* 2053492974_71_15 labels & locales.jpg
The cities and landmarks may serve as inspirations for your places of interest.

The labels, on the other hand, are practically useless. Most of them are clearly fantasy names, and the South Sea is farther north than the North Sea.

Interestingly enough, it appears that there's a ruin on the exact spot Diaedor's capital is...

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Not sure if you're interested or not, but the world generator used to make our map also had an option to add cities, landmarks, and labels to the map. I didn't add them to our map, seeing as I figured most people would want to place their own cities and such, but it's still possible to recreate the map so as to show them, like this:
View attachment 63832

The labels, on the other hand, are practically useless. Most of them are clearly fantasy names, and the South Sea is farther north than the North Sea.

Interestingly enough, it appears that there's a ruin on the exact spot Diaedor's capital is...
Of course, I get ''Ghostmoon Forest'' and ''The Keep of Nightmares'' where i am.

Although there's the Citadel of Valeca at the other tip...

That option is amazing for roleplay potential..!

Gaby

Lord of Altera
View attachment 63832

I love it! 8D

@OneRedBlock

uh, what did I say? xD
oh he always does that

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I didn't imply Nationstates roleplay, if that's what you thought.

I meant tabletop/DnD styled roleplay.

I love it! 8D

oh he always does that
oh, i'm not offended in the slightest.
I just like knowing why people disagree with me when I don't see why myself.