Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Proposal: Maps

Tomato150

Lord of Altera
Maps
- - -​

Now that the nations in NationStates have settled in and RP is going, I was thinking about further developing and expanding out with a series of maps that would highlight numerous features about the world, from open trade routes to ore deposits to population density to diplomatic alliances. If these maps were to be made, more than likely the community will have to help a fair bit to get the maps balanced. The goal of the creation of such maps would to be:
  • Creating a clear and easily referable source of information
  • Making sure resources and other items are in check (( Everyone can’t have diamond mines. ))
  • Clear any confusion that is around currently.

In short, I like maps, and I am willing to create a buttload for the NationStates world.

A list of maps
- - -
Agriculture
- Foodstuffs production
- Eventually a buttload of different types of food production ( Corn, Wheat, Rice, ect. )

Cultural
- Religions of the world

Earth Systems
- Time zones | (Final and labeled)
- Tectonic plates | (First and unlabeled) (Second and unlabeled)
- Predicted earthquake hotspot

Environmental
- Human footprint
- Renewable energy usage
- CO2 emmisions

Historical
-?
Note for this category: I'll need people to gib me maps for this one. Basically, all that's needed is a map of the land with a set of dates showing when it's valid.

Political
- Chimeran Commonwealth Authority
- The Ocean Assembly Authority
- The Astenbech Pact Authority
- Sphere of influence

Last edited:

BarbarianGaming

Lord of Altera
Maps
- - -​

Now that the nations in NationStates have settled in and RP is going, I was thinking about further developing and expanding out with a series of maps that would highlight numerous features about the world, from open trade routes to ore deposits to population density to diplomatic alliances. If these maps were to be made, more than likely the community will have to help a fair bit to get the maps balanced. The goal of the creation of such maps would to be:
  • Making sure resources and other items are in check (( Everyone can’t have diamond mines. ))

In short, I like maps, and I am willing to create a buttload for the NationStates world.

This is just a proposal, gimme feedback on what you think
Don't try and include natural resources because someone is going to be unhappy with what they got and if one person won't use it then it destroys the whole reason for making this map. Just stick to things that are non-tangable.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Or, perhaps, only produce maps detailing resources that are tracked through NationStates stats. Mining, Agriculture, and Fishing, for example, are all stats in NationStates.

Even if you make maps for those resources, though, you shouldn't specify beyond that; in other words, don't detail what's being mined, just how much is being mined.

Now, one of the drawbacks of this would be that stats change. Over time, these resource maps would have to be adjusted.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Or, perhaps, only produce maps detailing resources that are tracked through NationStates stats. Mining, Agriculture, and Fishing, for example, are all stats in NationStates.

Even if you make maps for those resources, though, you shouldn't specify beyond that; in other words, don't detail what's being mined, just how much is being mined.

Now, one of the drawbacks of this would be that stats change. Over time, these resource maps would have to be adjusted.
Basing maps on actual economic stats is a great idea, IMO.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Maps
- - -​

This is just a proposal, gimme feedback on what you think
Tomato I am ALREADY DOING THIS.
scrub.
http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/nationstates-mapmaking.33367/

s c r u b

Tomato150

Lord of Altera
Might I also ask your opinions of things that aren't resource based such as maps for piracy, trade, and other things like such.

Might also be fun to map out where things like fault lines and such go, if anyone would be interested in RPing a natural disaster eventually

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Might I also ask your opinions of things that aren't resource based such as maps for piracy, trade, and other things like such.

Might also be fun to map out where things like fault lines and such go, if anyone would be interested in RPing a natural disaster eventually
It'd be great to get Faction maps (world-level political factions, like Commonwealth, etc.)

Tomato150

Lord of Altera
First map, Timezones, Complete!
The green line represents Vleselan Mean Time, or VMT, which is basically GMT.

Feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I've done an Analysis Map showing which nations have high Agriculture and which nations have low Agriculture as a test run for more Analysis Maps. Let me know if you want more maps like this!
Analysis - Agriculture.jpg
Key:

Blue
= Top 10% = Excellent
Green
= Top 11 - 30% = Good
Yellow
= Top 31 - Bottom 31% = Average
Orange
= Bottom 30 - 11% = Poor
Red
= Bottom 10% = Terrible

Tomato150

Lord of Altera
I've done an Analysis Map showing which nations have high Agriculture and which nations have low Agriculture as a test run for more Analysis Maps. Let me know if you want more maps like this!
View attachment 64639
Key:

Blue
= Top 10% = Excellent
Green
= Top 11 - 30% = Good
Yellow
= Top 31 - Bottom 31% = Average
Orange
= Bottom 30 - 11% = Poor
Red
= Bottom 10% = Terrible
That is great! Personally, I'd love more maps like this. Now the thing is to figure out where what foods would come from.
Also would you mind if I add this to the OP?

Tomato150

Lord of Altera
Third map, tectonic plates!
The green and the yellow plates on the edge overlap to the other side of the map, still one plate though.
( Note: This is not final, and is subject to change. )

Feedback is appreciated!
Edit:
Here's another way the plates could have been arranged, lemme know what people like more, I prefer the second one, but that's just my opinion.
The main differences are Holdtstein is on it's own plate, the Kronean plate has expanded to take the smaller dark blue one and moved to engulf Gadahara and line the mountains to Falsark's south. Also, the Nakadrian plate has expanded to the borders of Zanala, Arhemia, and along those mountain ranges. Personally, I think the Pact/Nakadrian plate change is needed, since a similar scenario exists along the Himalayas.

Last edited:

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Mountains pop up when plates collide. Every single mountain should be a plate division. Islands are also underground mountains, or volcanoes. The former, of course, shows up on plate divisions.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Mountains pop up when plates collide. Every single mountain should be a plate division. Islands are also underground mountains, or volcanoes. The former, of course, shows up on plate divisions.
^^^
This was the FIRST thing I thought when I saw that.

"Why are the north asia mountains in the middle of a plate"

(See i know what geography is. Just not meteorology)

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
That only applies to mountain ranges. Single mountains can have different causes, like intrusion.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
First map, Timezones, Complete!
The green line represents Vleselan Mean Time, or VMT, which is basically GMT.

Feedback is appreciated.
I feel that the Council timezone should be the GMT of the world, if only because there weren't any world-spanning empires to decide that the 0 timezone should be on their particular homeland.