Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Nationstates]Rants, Empires, Colonies, Cultures

Gaby

Lord of Altera
THE RANT ON SKINTONES AND GEOGRAPHY

so I realized I needed to figure out where the equator/tropics are in this world:

alterantropics.png

MFW I see what nations are on the equator
reactionimage.jpg

So ok, lets get this over with quickly.

what is Gaby doing here?
repeating a previous argument, but this time with a lot more images and a lot more forethought, for a new world. yes, I'm gonna put up a little thing compiling a bunch of global ethnic groups, though I do expect them to be much more then the previous average of 1 per nation.

And… as before, I will note my disclaimer:
THERE’S NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THIS, AND MOST LIKELY SOME OF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WANT TO DARKEN SKINTONES A FEW SHADES JUST BECAUSE SOME TEENAGER SAYS IT’S REALISTIC (not to mention the drama that already ensued over even the scarcest threat of enforcing the “Asian continent” >.>). I RESPECT THAT. FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ALL MY RANTS AND CARRY ON WITH YOUR OWN LIFE. THIS THREAD IS, AS THE LAST ONE WAS, INFORMATIVE AND OPTIONAL.

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s start this ruckus-bringer with a discussion of the tropics themselves, wherein I blatantly copy-paste from Wikipedia EDIT: and place this nonsense under a spoiler tag since apparently everyone hates it.

TL;DR tropics = dark natives

lightskinned country in the tropics? most likely an ex-colony of a big empire from a more northern place that conquered its way across the world.

past this post is more useful stuff like my research and some mapthings.

“The tropics is a region of the Earth surrounding the Equator. It is limited inlatitude by the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere at 23°26′14.3″ (or 23.43729°) N and the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere at 23°26′14.3″ (or 23.43729°) S; these latitudes correspond to theaxial tilt of the Earth. The tropics are also referred to as the tropical zone and thetorrid zone (see geographical zone). The tropics include all the areas on the Earth where the Sun reaches a subsolar point, a point directly overhead at least once during the solar year.

The tropics are distinguished from the other climatic and biomatic regions of Earth, the middle latitudes and the polar regions on either side of the equatorial zone.”
Now as far as geography and climate goes, it’s fairly simple… “simple.”

Tropical zones are essentially the parts of the world that are hot all year round, and have dry and rainy seasons instead of the four seasons of temperate climates. Basically, unless there’s huge mountains freezing the land with raw altitude, “what is snow?”

They might be a wet, lush tropical climate, or they might be incredibly dry/arid. But no snow. Most importantly, however, is that no matter how hot or wet the region is, there’s one constant:

Intense sun all year.

As you are likely aware, when humans live in the sun for even a couple hundred years, they start developing darker skin in order to avoid this:

sunburn.jpg
Pictured Here: intense pain, followed by peeling skin and increased risk of cancer

Adaptation is a good thing. Not counting certain other traits in humans all over the world that are theorized to have originated in attempts to optimize for their native region (read: tiny mountaineers and islanders), there’s also the fact that even the whitest folk in the world will tan, given enough painful moments in the Miami sun (or African sun, or Brazilian sun, or… yeah).

So we’re back to this same old “your nation’s skintone is inaccurate” vs "my nation and I wanna play it my way". Let me try my hardest to work this out nicely.

After a long, long period of careful research (again) into indigenous groups across that tropical band, I’ve found that, by and large, the vast majority of indigenous groups at that latitude tend to have brown skin, if not darker.

flashbacks.png

The biggest exceptions I can find to this are Tuareg and some Mexican groups, who both comprise a group that has a sizable population north of the Tropic of Cancer. That gives Diojaran and Croakarilla some breathing room at least, having territories above the northern tropic.

As for everyone else…

let’s talk colonialism, AKA “the age of European countries acting like a Saturday morning cartoon villain and almost succeeding”
worlddomination.jpg

Who am I kidding, you all know the whole story, all I need to show you is a visual reference of the degree of world that was taken over by Europe:

holymacarena.png
Pictured above: a visual explanation of why that tiny little orange-colored African country is either really useless or really badass

So there’s an excuse right there for lily-white world leaders.
Except for one teeny problem. Well, two.

A) History. You go for “was a colony of another nation” history, you might have to revise a few bits here and there about your nation’s founding, and add an independence day to their national holidays.

B) Conquered natives who are probably also disenfranchised, probably serving as a source of not only all those civil rights issues about ethnic minorities, but probably some protests and revolts.

@Lord_Sinclair noted that India is a nation that's right at the equator that has a bunch of light-skinned native ethnic groups, but there’s a few things to note about India:
A) India has 22 national languages and a similar number of ethnic groups, all native to that region B) India was a colony of Britain until fairly recently C) I literally don't even know what the Aryans were, but whatever it was, that was a one-time thing.

Of course, where some say “problem,” others say “opportunity,” and the fact that this is a world of our own making means that you could easily look at this issue a different way, and say “here’s a chance for me to fix that major writer’s block I was having about my nation’s history! Thanks, Gaby!” so it’s all relative. In any case, this is ultimately your choice.

I’ll just be here if you need me.

Last edited:

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Research

Me giving the fruits of my kind of obsessive research in scattered bits throughout the essay above would just clog it up. I ask for forgiveness regarding my callous use of Wikipedia, as I was impatient.
here’s the NS map overlayed with the real-word tropics/equator to show the basis of my estimate of the tropics

overlayed tropics.png

Tropics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropics
http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/encyclopedia/tropics/?ar_a=1

Indigenous People:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indigenous_peoples

and Gaby’s wee text-thing showing a summarized list of names of indigenous people in nearly all the tropical areas:

paininmybehind.png

(I said Africa was a mess, just look here and see why)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_Africa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_Africa

thats about it. but here you go people

Last edited:

Gaby

Lord of Altera
EMPIRES, AND THE MIGRATION OF HUMANS IN OUR NATIONSTATES EARTH

the way this goes is, that I have a simplified database of all the current nations here, to help people who just read my top two posts and panicked.

CALM DOWN.

now, it might be a bit confusing to look at, but I'll make it simple.
first is the name of the empire. then, a tag of all players who run nations split from that empire. then, all nations split from the "mainland" of the empire. then, we've got the rough real-world inspirations for the empire, with culture, history, etc. then theres the simplified history of the nation. sparknotes verion, if you will. finally, there's a list of all nations that began as colonies of this empire.

[image]
TARCHEYAN EMPIRE:
@OneRedBlock @The Courier @Gregor
Nations: Tarcheya, Curitis, Arhemia
Inspirations: ???
Simplified History: Curitis invaded Tarcheya, Tarcheya rebelled, eventually forming their own empire. this empire ruled nearly all the Astenbach, before eventually falling, splintering itself into many different nations.
Colonies: Holdstein

[image]
PARGUERRA EMPIRE (SAEGUERRA EMPIRE):
Nations:
Diojaran, Croakarilla, New Drezado
Inspirations: Spanish Empire, Roman Empire
Simplified History: Parguerra was a highly militaristic empire ruled by a powerful theocracy. The empire of Saeguerra was born from this empire, caused due to a split in religion (working on it).
Parguerra fell due to religious scandal: military officials had grown corrupt, participating in sinful acts such as polygamy. This turned to war, and from the war, Parguerra split up into the nations that now occupy that region. Its sister nation Saeguerra persisted long into the modern day, eventually falling during the revolution that founded Kado-Kintu Sammaru.
Colonies: Sammaru

Out of Somewhere

blah blah blah gaby is a nerd.

I’m going to try and predict migration over the known world, based on my rough knowledge of that sort of thing, and also attempting to guesstimate based on certain nations and their history.
this is based on the whole "Out of Africa" theory of early human migration.

but before that, I need to figure out the one thing that Iknow people are going to argue about:
where humanity began.

I have my proposals:

map1.png

I may place this on a different thread for people to vote on, but for now, I'm leaving this here in case anyone wants to propose a new location.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gaby

Lord of Altera
ETHNIC GROUP MASTERPOST

lol what goes here pffffft.
this thing really can't get started until everybody gets the names of the continents under control. I was gonna make joke posts but you know what, I don't wanna go to hell.

Last edited:

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
Can I make a note on the tropical weather? I live in the tropics, myself, and though, yes, we don't get snow, it's still possible to get hail.

I'd like to see what you post about the Taino ethnic group. :p

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Too much stuff on this thread for me to read, but Astenbech group has already discussed it. Astenbech at around Tarcheya and Arhemia's level is similar to France or Germany, and the far south is like Spain and the Mediterranean.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
...lots of stuff...
We need to take into account the size of our planet, distance from the local star, size of local star, and thickness of the atmosphere.
Once we take these numbers into consideration . . . .
The tropic zone can be large, or narrower.
The mean amount of sunlight and uvb may be much lower, or higher.
Occurrences of tropical storms may be altered, possibly providing stronger and more frequent storms, or very mild occasional storms.

Given that planet Altera is roughly the same size as Earth. Is about the same distance from the local star. And has an equivalent atmosphere then I can agree with the points made.

However, if the planet is different, then it would obviously make changes to much of what's been mentioned in this thread.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
We need to take into account the size of our planet, distance from the local star, size of local star, and thickness of the atmosphere.
Occurrences of tropical storms may be altered, possibly providing stronger and more frequent storms, or very mild occasional storms.

Given that planet Altera is roughly the same size as Earth. Is about the same distance from the local star. And has an equivalent atmosphere then I can agree with the points made.

However, if the planet is different, then it would obviously make changes to much of what's been mentioned in this thread.
There's making an effort to have realistic ethnic groups / cultures, and there's going too far for it to be fun.

You just described the latter.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I'd like to see what you post about the Taino ethnic group. :p
not real life, babe. nationstates. this is Nationstates

ALTERA IS EXACTLY EARTHLIKE

NONE OF THAT CRAZY, NOPLS

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Too much stuff on this thread for me to read, but Astenbech group has already discussed it. Astenbech at around Tarcheya and Arhemia's level is similar to France or Germany, and the far south is like Spain and the Mediterranean.
this is literally just a more detailed restatement of my previous thread about this. your laziness must be incredible. :heart:

besides that, Tarcheya be in Europe, at a Europe latitude. so you've nothing to worry about.
still gotta talk w u and ur friends about a thing.

Its okay because my cities are so pollutted, people barely see the sun

rofl
ahahahahahahaha
no

we're gonna talk about this, but I feel you guys could actually be a colony of an old empire that is similar to Great Britain.

you and Dorthan.

;^)

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
ahahahahahahaha
no

we're talking, but I feel you're actually most likely a colony of an old empire that is similar to Great Britain.

;^)
Holdtstein is a rather German name, and Mercian (Nationstates German) is spoken in Tarcheya, Curitis, and parts of Arhemia, so we're discussing if he's from our area over Skype.

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
Holdtstein is a old Tarcheyan colony, they ceded and tried to make it on their own, their economy died and the monarchy was removed and a republican dictatorship was founded

Scardrac

Felsummer
Too much to read, as this is an incredibly unattractive thread. I am remaining with my South-American culture. Thank you for putting effort into it, though.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Too much to read, as this is an incredibly unattractive thread. I am remaining with my South-American culture. Thank you for putting effort into it, though.

The biggest exceptions I can find to this are Tuareg and some Mexican groups, who both comprise a group that has a sizable population north of the Tropic of Cancer. That gives Diojaran and Croakarilla some breathing room at least, having territories above the northern tropic.

As for everyone else…

let’s talk colonialism, AKA “the age of European countries acting like a Saturday morning cartoon villain and almost succeeding”
my friend.

please go back and read?

your south american culture is actually perfect?????

Scardrac

Felsummer

my friend.

please go back and read?

your south american culture is actually perfect?????
Well then we have no problem! I looked at the maps and I am somewhat busy so I had no time to read the text, I only said that because I found it incredibly fitting. 'It' being the fact where us two remain.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I'm on my phone, so I can't quote, but in reference to the African nation not colonized by Europe, I believe that nation was colonized by the USA, which is technically not a European nation.

In reference to the tropics zone as outlined above, our NationStates Altera actually is not exactly like Earth.

For most purposes, nothing is affected, but I purposefully increased the proportion of ice covering the poles when making the map. Consequentially, the percentage of the map classified as "tropical", as determined by which type of tree icon is depicted in an area, is lower than it was on the previous map. This, of course, implies that skin tones, on the whole, would be paler across the map in our Altera when compared to Earth.

Take that little tidbit as you will, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Lastly, Zanala would not have been part of a "Tarcheyan Empire". The territories around Zanala, including Zanala itself, are a collection of city-states, very much like Ancient Greece. Zanala's history is on a different part of the continent, a part Tarcheya would likely have no reason or desire to conquer when considering the effort required to pacify a population of independent, squabbling, arrogant city-states.