Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Region Reset Vote

What do you want to see implemented for the Nation States reset?

• Nothing; I don't want a reset!

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • The "Main Plan" WITH RP ties to the previous world

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The "Main Plan" withOUT RP ties to the previous world

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • The "Main Plan" WITH a modern day tech code put in place, as outlined under the original plan

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • The "Main Plan" withOUT a tech code put in place

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • The "Main Plan" WITH "legacy" nations given first pick on map placement

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • The "Main Plan" withOUT"legacy" nations given first pick on map placement

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Multiple responses are allowed, but be aware that votes can NOT be changed once they are made!

To review the discussion and proposed plans, please visit http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/nation-states-region-reset-discussion.32773/!

You do NOT need to be a nation currently on the map to be allowed to vote! Anyone wishing to join on a new map may participate in the reset; it is, however, asked that you only vote if you intend to fully participate!

The following points are be considered the "Main Plan" option:

> Everyone creates a new nation at the same time everyone else creates a new nation. This date will be released on the voting thread, more than likely.
> A new map is voted upon and divided into a plethora of small territories.
> The claiming procedure shall be as outlined in the initial plan.
> The new world shall be "humans only" and avoid fantasy and sci-fi elements.

This vote will officially conclude Sunday morning, on April 5th, Eastern Standard Time.

If a reset is voted for, the launch date for all new nations will be Monday, April 6th, after 1 pm Eastern Standard Time!

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I would also suggest that, if (and there is great chances it will; ) this plan works, and we restart on the clean slate, we either create a new forum category, in order to differentiate old Nationstates nations and Lore from the new ones, or clear this one up.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Mouse screwed up, messed up my votes. I also meant to click the "without legacy nations" option.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
...and no legacy nations, ...
Let me clarify the "legacy nations granted first pick" option:

This would NOT re-introduce legacy nations to the new world! This would simply acknowledge the immense time put into the nations of the "legacy" players by giving them a "nod of the hat" in the form of first pick for their map locations. Beyond first pick, there will be NO benefits granted to "legacy" nations whatsoever.

Remember that nations like Sincronia have populations of over 4 billion. That took years of playing to reach. All the "first pick" option is designed to do is be a gesture of goodwill to ensure there's no major grumblings from either side in the reset.

Last edited:

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Let me clarify the "legacy nations granted first pick" option:

This would NOT re-introduce legacy nations to the new world! This would simply acknowledge the immense time put into the nations of the "legacy" players by giving them a "nod of the hat" in the form of first pick for their map locations. Beyond first pick, there will be NO benefits granted to "legacy" nations whatsoever.

Remember that nations like Sincronia have populations of over 4 billion. That took years of playing to reach. All the "first pick" option is designed to do is be a gesture of goodwill to ensure there's no major grumblings from either side in the reset.
I think I messed up.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
I think a tech lock would be ridiculous, as it restricts the evolution of a modern and post-modern society and its culture. Also the stagnation of technology in a modern nation would end very badly as modern societies are built on the idea of constant growth, of constantly pushing the boundaries. What would happen if suddenly nothing new could be learned about particle/quantum/string physics because of some nebulous 'tech lock' what about the information technology industry. Always pushing the new and the trendy. I believe that a tech lock should be replaced with a reasonable upper ceiling on a nation with a certain science value.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
I think a tech lock would be ridiculous, as it restricts the evolution of a modern and post-modern society and its culture. Also the stagnation of technology in a modern nation would end very badly as modern societies are built on the idea of constant growth, of constantly pushing the boundaries. What would happen if suddenly nothing new could be learned about particle/quantum/string physics because of some nebulous 'tech lock' what about the information technology industry. Always pushing the new and the trendy. I believe that a tech lock should be replaced with a reasonable upper ceiling on a nation with a certain science value.
I'm pretty sure the techcode doesn't restrict us to 2015 technology for the entire roleplay, but instead just makes sure that no one is getting giant gundams while other nations with similar tech scores are still struggling to get attack helicopters. For instance, in the last roleplay, I had a higher tech score than many space faring nations, which was bizarre.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
I'm pretty sure the techcode doesn't restrict us to 2015 technology for the entire roleplay, but instead just makes sure that no one is getting giant gundams while other nations with similar tech scores are still struggling to get attack helicopters. For instance, in the last roleplay, I had a higher tech score than many space faring nations, which was bizarre.
Thanks for clarifying the tech-lock. I thought it was something along the lines of what happens in Altera.
I fully support the tech lock now (damn I wish I could change my vote)

Deathmoron

Lord of Altera
Also, the tech lock restricts to anything that is in prototype right now; meaning, it didn't have to be fully functional irl to be fully functional in RP. Like the self diving car, camera-stealth tank, under water cities, automatons with many functions, much aerospace craft very genetic studies, and lots of other things.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Basically, the tech code option is what LightTwig and Deathmoron have said. It will start modern day, and basic prototype technology will be allowed, though said prototype technology shouldn't be widespread in your nation (aka not everyone has a self-driving car).

The basic idea I have in mind for tech advancement is that when a nation gets to a 100 Scientific Advancement Level, they will be allowed to pick a "specialty" tech. For example, a nation could choose to specialize in railguns and thus allow them to start using railguns in their military. This process would continue, so at 200 SAL, a nation could choose a second technology to specialize in. This method should give nations pushing science an edge, but not an OP one, and it should also give nations some more unique RP qualities.

Also, the technology that a nation chooses to specialize in should be reasonable (aka not straight-up immortality). As a guideline, nations should try specializing in technologies currently in early prototype in RL. Or, as another guideline, try not to specialize in technology that won't likely be developed within the next 50 years in RL.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
From the perspective of an outside observer, the extreme amount of overcomplication here drives me completely away from ever joining.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
From the perspective of an outside observer, the extreme amount of overcomplication here drives me completely away from ever joining.
I agree with Naelwyn here to an extent, but I'm holding out hope that once we begin/the vote is done, things will become a lot simpler. I doubt these checks and balances will come up in roleplay that often anyhow.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Most of these are just guidelines. Once we get going, it will become a whole lot simpler.

For example, it'll take a couple months, likely, for anyone to reach a SAL of 100, so it's not like we'll be seeing new techs coming out the woodwork left and right.

It'll be the same with the claiming procedure. I have a feeling the pace of expansion will become pretty regular.

Furthermore, after a while, people will begin RPing with each other more rather than continuing to use the claiming procedure. Once we reach that stage, most everything will be done using RP, which is very simple to understand.

Also, I've probably overthought everything, so half of what I've talked about probably won't even be seen. That said, I'd rather overthink than underthink!