Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Scientific Advancements

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
"Unique" Techs List:
> Zanala - Scramjets
> Tarcheya - Railguns
> Kronea - AEGIS System
> Harvendir - Advanced Ballistics
> Octois - High-Intensity Energy Beams
> Binaris - Internet of Things
> Holdtstein - Advanced Drones
> Dorthan - TALOS Suits
h'what now gabino?

Gaby

Lord of Altera
h'what now gabino?
so maybe it's not finalized :^P but the post was finished up, and nobody commented lol.
one thing doe,

Fruit bats bred to be docile fruit-eating miniature dragons (just trust me on this one~)
(This is an extension of the specially bred pets)
before someone argues this, the dragons are actually based on a concept I devised for a science fiction story of my own, and I totally recommended the dragons to her.
I will note that /my/ dragons are capable of speech and reasoned thought, because my setting was further in the future than 20 years and I could do that.

anyways, I wrote an explanation on the specific mutations required to turn an Indian Flying Fox (the specific species of bat used) into a dragon. the gist of it, well, I can just show you:

bat bat.png
dragon made with gene-modification.

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 1.13.29 PM.png
normal fruit bat.

as you can see, it's literally just a long-necked, long-tailed fruit bat with two tiny horns. without the horns (which, I recall in humans there is a gene that makes them grow horns, and I don't think adding horns would be a hassle), it would be essentially exactly like the multitude of weird dog breeds, only its a domestic bat breed.

if you really want prototypes for everything I'm listing:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3037451/pet-week/meet-your-new-pet-a-domesticated-fox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutaneous_horn (its a tumor but you know, mess with the genes that make that tumor~)

and.... I don't remember but there was something about body shape being determined by a very very specific set of genes that are easily modified.

EDIT: I also made different breeds of dragon, including hairless ones and split-ear ones that look more like what we expect a dragon to look like. those came after the one I drew up there, a breed I called a "protean hopper."

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Reviewing the requested genetics tech now~

Honestly, if Gaby hadn't said something, I never would have reviewed the request. If you make a "reserve" post and edit it without then tagging me upon completion, the post will almost certainly be forgotten and ignored, just because I can't be bothered to constantly check old posts to see if they've been updated.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
After reviewing the request for Advanced Transgenetics, much to my own surprise, it is accepted, though with a few caveats:

1. 3D organ printing is limited to individual organs. 3D printing on the scale of an arm, leg, or full body is still out of the question.

2. Genetics modifications are limited to species already in existence. This applies to plants as well as animals. For example, large fruit bats that look a little like dragons are fine, but genuine scaled dragons and such are not.

Also, the organic floating platform idea is a no-go. Kelp and algae are quite different from the wood-based plants that would really be required to support buildings.

Furthermore, the environmental impacts of such a plant would be disastrous, as is currently the case with algae. Plants that float on the surface of the water block sunlight and kill plants under the water, thus killing off the base of the underwater food chain.

3. The curing of diseases through genetic engineering is only applicable to future generations, not the current populace.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
After reviewing the request for Advanced Transgenetics, much to my own surprise, it is accepted, though with a few caveats:

1. 3D organ printing is limited to individual organs. 3D printing on the scale of an arm, leg, or full body is still out of the question.

2. Genetics modifications are limited to species already in existence. This applies to plants as well as animals. For example, large fruit bats that look a little like dragons are fine, but genuine scaled dragons and such are not.

Also, the organic floating platform idea is a no-go. Kelp and algae are quite different from the wood-based plants that would really be required to support buildings.

Furthermore, the environmental impacts of such a plant would be disastrous, as is currently the case with algae. Plants that float on the surface of the water block sunlight and kill plants under the water, thus killing off the base of the underwater food chain.

3. The curing of diseases through genetic engineering is only applicable to future generations, not the current populace.
  1. I know that it can not print out an entire arm or leg at one, but it would (over a long time) be able to slowly print out each part individually
  2. What I was thinking in terms of the floating platform is to have the plant mass and then cover the part you want to build on with a stable surface, eliminating the problem of stability of the bouyant plant. also, the problem of it blocking the sunlight could also be eliminated by moving the platform around, which is partly the reason for it. It would make building things like aircraft carriers a lot less resource intensive.
  3. I had assumed, since the population grows that the rp does not all take place in the same generation

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
  1. I know that it can not print out an entire arm or leg at one, but it would (over a long time) be able to slowly print out each part individually
  2. What I was thinking in terms of the floating platform is to have the plant mass and then cover the part you want to build on with a stable surface, eliminating the problem of stability of the bouyant plant. also, the problem of it blocking the sunlight could also be eliminated by moving the platform around, which is partly the reason for it. It would make building things like aircraft carriers a lot less resource intensive.
  3. I had assumed, since the population grows that the rp does not all take place in the same generation
1. No arms, no legs, no buts. 3D printing on that scale would be a significant acceleration of tech progression.

2. If there's a plant in RL that can be used in such a manner (does the island from Life of Pi exist?), link me to it. If not, then it falls under the "species already in existence" rule, still. Also, dry docks for boat building.

3. Granted, we don't have a defined timing mechanism for NationStates, but I'd say our current progression is somewhat slow moving. In fact, looking at the council, I'd say we're moving slower than RL in some respects. In any case, for the time being, future generations and some young kids; you could, however, claim a small handful of young adults as successful test subjects, but only a handful and still only around 20 years old, if that.

BarbarianGaming

Lord of Altera
1. No arms, no legs, no buts. 3D printing on that scale would be a significant acceleration of tech progression.

2. If there's a plant in RL that can be used in such a manner (does the island from Life of Pi exist?), link me to it. If not, then it falls under the "species already in existence" rule, still. Also, dry docks for boat building.

3. Granted, we don't have a defined timing mechanism for NationStates, but I'd say our current progression is somewhat slow moving. In fact, looking at the council, I'd say we're moving slower than RL in some respects. In any case, for the time being, future generations and some young kids; you could, however, claim a small handful of young adults as successful test subjects, but only a handful and still only around 20 years old, if that.
We are moving /very/ slowly.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
NS time is more wibblywobbly than Alteran time.

populations double in a single council hour.

maybe the island of the council is in some sort of weird narnia time?

RexJen

Lord of Altera

1. I have a few arguements against it but I will accept your judement
  2. I meant moving it about in a more traditional way, like propellors. or you know... there are ocean currents...
  3. So I could say that the children are the only ones who can profit from the research so far?

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
Scientific Advancement: 103

Development: Breakthrough in large-scale graphene production, and pioneering into the first practical applications of the substance.

Graphene is the world's thinnest yet strongest material, being only one sheet of atoms thick, but stronger than steel by far. In the past, only small quantities have been able to be produced, though now, Kogatan scientists have worked with several of Kogata's largest tech companies to develop a factory that will produce graphene at a much higher pace than before. The new surplus of the material has opened the minds of Kogata's brightest, and the development of graphene supercapacitors has already begun as a replacement for batteries, or even fuel in a far broader context.

Kogatan Graphene is produced in a brand new factory in Hamada, the nation's capital. The process is a trade secret, but as OOC knowledge, a large amount of graphite oxide as a liquid is poured onto a flat plastic film which is then marked carefully by lasers. The lasers deoxygenate the substance, leaving a layer of graphene that can either be stored for later use, or refined by a means of ex foliation if needed.

The factory can produce around 20m^2 in a good working day.

Tomato150

Lord of Altera
Scientific Advancement: 103

Development: Breakthrough in large-scale graphene production, and pioneering into the first practical applications of the substance.

Graphene is the world's thinnest yet strongest material, being only one sheet of atoms thick, but stronger than steel by far. In the past, only small quantities have been able to be produced, though now, Kogatan scientists have worked with several of Kogata's largest tech companies to develop a factory that will produce graphene at a much higher pace than before. The new surplus of the material has opened the minds of Kogata's brightest, and the development of graphene supercapacitors has already begun as a replacement for batteries, or even fuel in a far broader context.

Kogatan Graphene is produced in a brand new factory in Hamada, the nation's capital. The process is a trade secret, but as OOC knowledge, a large amount of graphite oxide as a liquid is poured onto a flat plastic film which is then marked carefully by lasers. The lasers deoxygenate the substance, leaving a layer of graphene that can either be stored for later use, or refined by a means of ex foliation if needed.

The factory can produce around 20m^2 in a good working day.
Source?
Actually sounds amazingly interesting.