Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

New Map - Sneak peek (Ice/Tundra/Pine)

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Day 3 Ladies and Gentlelords,

As previously mentioned, today's theme is Ice.

Now, this can take many forms and our map encompasses all the various intricacies of the cooler sun-deprived climates.

From wind-swept flat tundras, to rocky glacial mountains tearing out to the sky through the ground, to frozen worlds locked away from time, pine forests with mysteriously curved trees where the crunch of your boots in the snow can be heard for miles around, and the soul-shatteringly cold shores of the northern reaches, the snowy biomes have something for anyone who considers himself a true warm-blooded northerner.

Today, now that the map is loaded on the server, I was able to get on and do a few comparison shots. I did most of my shots with the textures and shaders on, but I did two sets of three pictures for some comparisons (one with the works, one with just textures, and one in plain-ol' vanilla).

First up are the comparisons:
Not all stretches of the frozen north are flatten dry snow plains, most are hills, around which the snow whips and whirls. Even some mountain peaks occasionally stick up out of the snow.
(The Works)
2016-04-29_15.04.48.png (Conquest only)
2016-04-29_15.04.58.png (Vanilla)
2016-04-29_15.05.14.png

For our second comparison, we have some glacial mountains.

Only the bravest of explorers dare climb and claim this mountains of ice for their own. The intrepid explorer may find a worthy challenge, or a frozen death in the attempt.
(The works)
2016-04-29_15.15.47.png (Conquest)
2016-04-29_15.15.54.png
(Vanilla)
2016-04-29_15.16.36.png

Ok, on to the more diverse pictures, for non-comparative purposes.

Not all lakes and ponds of the north are the frozen spectacles that we know and love. The occasional hot spot through the surface of the planet occasionally creates cold lakes that do not freeze over.
2016-04-29_15.21.22.png
Along the bone-chilling northern shore, the icebergs clutter the straights and coasts, making all but the smallest craft unwieldy if not unusable. Those who hunt and fish up here are brave souls indeed to fight nature itself for survival.
2016-04-29_15.23.41.png
Much like the cliffs alongside many seasides, the Great North contains many cliffs such as these. A harrowing drop awaits anyone who isn't watching where they're going during the perilous blizzards that occur up here.
2016-04-29_15.25.27.png
Not all the north is a frozen wasteland, far to the east, where warmer water currents are, a more temperate cool climate exists. One, in which, there are grasses (and even flowers) among the chilly mountains.
2016-04-29_15.31.53.png

I have more pictures for this one, so you get ever MOAR

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Can you see it? I can. A beautiful seaside town, representing the strength of northerners with the quaintness of a humble fisherman.
2016-04-29_15.40.54.png

Trees? In the North?
2016-04-29_15.37.09.png

Last, but not least, the Northwest provides the warmest land in the north. While barren of trees due to the lack of sun most of the year, it also does not have the permafrost of most of the north.
2016-04-29_15.42.32.png

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast
NGGH
PLS
STOP THE TORTURE
GIVE ME THE WHOLE MAP. I NEED TO SEE IT. I MUST EXPLORE.
JUST AN OVERHEAD MAP. PLS. SOMETHING
OH GAAWD FOREST IS NEXT AAANNGGH

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Just heard from upstairs, going to be spreading these out a bit more, considering that we're still many months out. Forest is going to have to wait.

But before that happens, here, have this pleasant sunset and tree.
2016-04-30_00.14.14.png

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
Raphael road up on a beautiful steed. Smiling lightly at a bright light in a sundered sky.
" Ave. "

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
What is the incentive to spread out the preview posts more than one day in between regardless of time until map launch? I don't want to wait as much time between glimpses as I do for television shows. It makes me lose interest in seeking it out actively.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
What is the incentive to spread out the preview posts more than one day in between regardless of time until map launch? I don't want to wait as much time between glimpses as I do for television shows. It makes me lose interest in seeking it out actively.
Was an executive decision, and so while I understand what you're saying, there's only so much content. While this map is absolutely amazing, there are only so many biomes to cover. Essentially, if I kept up my current pace, we'd be done in a week and then have a gigantic dry spell of many weeks.

I'll be doing teasers on Wednesdays and Saturdays, starting this next Wednesday.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Just heard from upstairs, going to be spreading these out a bit more, considering that we're still many months out. Forest is going to have to wait.

But before that happens, here, have this pleasant sunset and tree.
View attachment 74109
Hnnnngg, reminds me of that tree in witcher 3 with all the hanging people

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Stumbled across hilly, sparse spruce forests in the north today-