Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

New World Plot Claiming Guide

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Another question: how will we know when we are to start asking about where we can put our town and how will we go about it? Do we just ask and who ever is superior gets the plots they asked for before the lesser?
We will contact you after precedence list is completed.

Legion, 1000 plots is not 25,600 but 256,000 (16*16=256, 256*1,000=256,000) ;)

Sorry, had to :p
Wops. Typing error. Easily fixed.

What's the incentive for not taking a town over and saving staff time? Currently It looks like we get pushed to the end of the queue.
Old planned incentive was deemed way too good and was scrapped. No one came up with anything to replace it.

so by Mathematics
a town circle has radius of 50 metres
so Pi x 50 to the power of two = 7853.98163397 blocks of influence in it 100 block wide circle

Can someone clarify this for me?

Influence Radii extend outward from each outward plot edge. Radii is of course an inaccurate term for this, but nothing other was even close, and we did not want to confuse everyone by making a huge explanation for it when its not something the playerbase needs to actually worry about, just something they need to be aware of.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
Naelwyn, you are, by far, the biggest paint-talent I have ever seen, and I've seen many people try and fail, where you succeeded!

King Oguk

Earthspawn King
Right, here's how this is going to go.

The first things that go on the map are the primary server builds:

These server builds shall exert a 700-block radius no-build zone from every chunk edge that no town is allowed to be built on or extent into.

View attachment 27964

After that, it's time for player claims, which proceed in an order as follows:

1) Greylings and Earthspawn, who have specific stuff worked in for them into the map already and do not need to claim areas. The Earthspawn, lorewise, gain possession of the charred biome by virtue of nobody else wanting to live there, such that they can be left alone. The Greylings get the area immediately around 'Cherbert's fingernail', a particular gash in the mountain chains.

2) Major Collectives: Anybody who has more than 2,000 total plots worth of area to claim, which needs to be purchased either already, or immediately upon being granted transfer. If they wish to exert an area of influence, they need to arrange their plot claims and builds such to take advantage of the town influence rules, presented at the end of this post.

3) Moderate Collectives: Same rules, for between 1,000 and 2,000 total plots.

4) 500-1000 total plots to transfer.

5) 250+

6) 100+

7) >100.

Things are being done in terms of total claimancy size first, because otherwise, it's /rather/ difficult to slot in builds over a certain size when claims are all over the place.

Within each bracket, the following rules determine claim order and priority in the event of a conflict:

1) Completion: A completed build takes precedence over a partially-finished/claimed build, and a partially-completed build takes precedence over a build that is just in the imagination.

2) Terrain Dependency: The more a build requires a terrain type or terrain features to work. Examples include port cities with docks and ships, which must have access to a logical waterway, and builds that need to be built into mountains.

3) Geopolitical, Cultural, Factional Logic: How much does the build make sense to be in it's location? Does it touch the borderlines of influence of another build of the same race, culture, or faction? Etc.
This is the next step after Terrain Dependency: Once a build's location is self-consistent, it must make sense with it's neighbors.

4) Number of confirmed individuals behind the application: Here's where I get creative. Any individual can only sign on their personal push to one build transference application, which can contain placements of multiple zones. To encourage larger collectives to apply as one unified whole and to work together to form their own Geopolitical sense.

5) Active-time-on-server seniority:
In the event of an intractable conflict over a location between groups that cannot be resolved by the groups themselves or mediation, and without a clear winner in the above categories, it will default to whoever has been around on the server the most as a method of fairly rewarding loyalty.

Build Influence:

Every placed build exerts a radius wherein other builds cannot be commenced without the consent of the owner. This system is being expanded upon to allow groups with large builds, and large collectives of builds, to secure larger areas while still remaining fairly based on plot numbers.

Any collection of plot claims influences the surrounding area away from it's edges based on the total number of plots within it, via the following arrangement:

1. Coruscant. (1601 + plots. )
-Maximum influence (300 block radius)
2. Metropolis (801 plots to 1600 plots)
-High influence (200 blocks)
3. City. (101 plots to 500 plots)
-Exerts moderate influence. (150 blocks)
4. Town. (Anything from 1 plot to 100 plots.)
-Exerts minimum influence. (100 block radius, as per building rule)

There is a special rule for territories here, namely, that if a build, or collection of builds concisely encapsulates an internal area, for sensible reasons, that area is also considered influenced.

As an example:

View attachment 27962

In this above picture it makes /zero/ sense for a build to be allowed within the interior space between these four builds.

Likewise, one can have a contested area, where the same thing happens between two non-aligned builds:

View attachment 27963

In this example, three rival builds are very close to one another. It does not make sense to allow a build anywhere within the purple area.

Of course, exceptions can always be made in exceptional cases, or if anyone tries to cheat the system.
So that means New Zuk'Thar is confirmed permission of Hell Biome?!? Woo!

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
The influence thing is fun, but what about towns and stuff that get founded after the map transfer?
they could easily fall under another cities influence without them knowing oO

bodejodel

Reaching for the Heavens
Retired Staff
bodejodel
bodejodel
The influence thing is fun, but what about towns and stuff that get founded after the map transfer?
they could easily fall under another cities influence without them knowing oO
They will have to check the map. I know Rau has a trick to show things like that on a map. ;)

bodejodel

Reaching for the Heavens
Retired Staff
bodejodel
bodejodel
What don't you like about it?
It is a great system, It is as fair as possibly can be in my eyes.
All credits go to Naelwyn, he came up with it.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
What don't you like about it?
It is a great system, It is as fair as possibly can be in my eyes.
All credits go to Naelwyn, he came up with it.

Well first of all, his system obviously puts emphasis on wealth and land size rather than manpower, organization or previous deeds/prestige to determine one's influence. I do not really agree with this view of the situation, and I consider that houses that can actually have the member-base necessary to hold a large portion of the map should pass before a couple of wealthy individuals.

For example, if you, bode, took all of your money, left August and decided to found a new region and instantly buy more then a thousand plots for it, it would largely be plain nonsense for you to hold so much influence strictly because of the money you had in bank.

Yes, i do partly think this because Arcturus doesn't hold an enormous amount of plots, but has a large community of very active members, RPers and builders. It doesn't make sense to me that when I compare Rauyran's influence map (Which was calculated using the active-ness and quantity of members each house had, rather then their GNP) to what we would probably get with this new system, I think that we're being face-rolled to the profit of the rich.

However, i don't hate the system in itself and still congratulates Naelwyn for his hard work.

(By the way, GNP stands for : Gross National Product, which is a economical measuring system.)

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Within each size category pick order is balanced based off of the other merits.

But I kinda have to slot in builds by claim-size-quanta, because otherwise I can get to the scenario where someone wants to build... as a random example, an 8,000 plot collective of places, and have nowhere appropriate to place it that isn't interrupted by another build.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I can see Valonyx's issue in that this method is most beneficial to older cities, rather than politically influential or most active, both of which could be argued to have been "fairer" choices. However, with the terrain and political constraints, I don't think we should see much of an issue. Also, This system we can all agree is much more balanced than opening the flood gates to a first come first serve approach.

That, and at the end of the day the locations only really matter to a point. realistically, players hop from PS to a hub boat and so on and so forth till they reach the city they want to get to. the actual logistics get nullified due to the ship teleportation.

bodejodel

Reaching for the Heavens
Retired Staff
bodejodel
bodejodel
Well first of all, his system obviously puts emphasis on wealth and land size rather than manpower, organization or previous deeds/prestige to determine one's influence.
It has to be done like this because of logistical reasons. It is much easier to place smaller regions between a couple of huge ones compared to doing it the other way around; Trying to place a huge region while the whole map is dotted with small regions.

Also, it is not just about wealth, that's just the first selection criteria. I don't think there are really that many huge collectives. I can only think of 2 or three from the top of my head.
In your own size category we will make a selection based upon active/inactive and the lore/reason behind picking a certain spot.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Thanks for the answers, my friends, but I still largely favor a plan that would be in symbiosis with Rauyran's influence map, which, in my opinion, represented more accurately what the real balance of power and influence would be.

That, and at the end of the day the locations only really matter to a point. realistically, players hop from PS to a hub boat and so on and so forth till they reach the city they want to get to. the actual logistics get nullified due to the ship teleportation.
Yeah, I know, i'm not completely shaken by this, its just that I kinda disliked it and wanted to point my opinion. =)

Also, This system we can all agree is much more balanced than opening the flood gates to a first come first serve approach.

It indeed is, but a Claiming system where claimants are chosen not by order of ''first to ask'' but by order of actual population would be the ideal system.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Thanks for the answers, my friends, but I still largely favor a plan that would be in symbiosis with Rauyran's influence map, which, in my opinion, represented more accurately what the real balance of power and influence would be.

Yeah, I know, i'm not completely shaken by this, its just that I kinda disliked it and wanted to point my opinion. =)

It indeed is, but a Claiming system where claimants are chosen not by order of ''first to ask'' but by order of actual population would be the ideal system.
Pros and cons to any system. We can't make everybody happy, sadly. Never can.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Yea the land is the major priority because this is about moving things over via world edit. If we didnt do it by land size, it could get very complicated.

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I think the current system is great. I hold no objections.