• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nightstalkers [Suggestion Thread]

Raphael Payne

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Mystic

[Link]

refrain from killing me
[OOC]
Before we immediately go to bear and say-
"good lord this is a terrible idea", I'd like to simply say that hardly ever does
anyone really voice their thing about lore outside of private chats and I feel this
might not be exactly a terrible idea. I'm no great lore writer, this is an idea in folk
lore that has been going on for centuries.

If this were added, it'd.. well, add some intrigue to already present roleplay and grant
new avenues to different folks and give someone else something to play.

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Before dwelling into the doc, just want to say I look for a few things before hand..

-Interest of playerbase for a new race
-Uniqness
-Possiblity of it occurring with the current lore

There’s a reason why dark blood drinkers, vyres, were removed. The last lore folks wanted to move away from the wild lore times. And sometimes these races aren’t played properly.

There is also a lack of interest in having new races, or at least playing them. Correct me if I’m wrong- but players tend to be interested in new things coming, but over time, it loses some charm. Makani were widely big, which I half expected, but not to the extent it ended up being last summer. It was great to see. But after a few months, there are only a few dedicated player Makani. If we were to add a new race, it’d have to be for a very good reason and would need to be something widely playable.

The thing is, Moors also fit in this category. Although more grounded in Lore, they enjoy meats and dishes with animal blood in it. They’re dark, brooding, and prefer colder climates. So I feel the aspect of vampires- minus actual blood drinking, biting, and turning into bats- has been done.

All in all- I’d be open to a new base race if it met major requirements. But vampires aren’t something I’d consider a race. As well- I haven’t opened official submissions yet, so it’ll be a while till I’d want to relook at new base races and read the document. Current priorities are Events > Magic > Other Lore threads > Cultures (which I know some are waiting on)

The border dividers are nice by the way, though. I’ll keep track of the thread in case player interest in this perks up

Rossu

Lord of Altera
Apparently player interest is actually fairly high in things like this, me included. Makani failed because they were extremely xenophobic.
With what little I could read/know about Vyres, I was told they were removed and turned into legacy of some form (cursed ICly in a debilitating way) so that they would die out. This was mostly because people were either power-gaming, or simply not playing them properly. If you take the Makani for example, so many of them were actually played correctly. With only one or two anger-filled incidents claiming they were 'Over Powered'. This was due to the rather easy application process to ensure someone knew what they were and how to play them properly.
Overall, I don't believe a 'new race' is the goal here, just some form of the pseudo-vampires Raphael Payne wrote. A disease, curse, or maybe something similar would allow for people to not create your standard cliche blood-suckers who show no reflection. For me, writing lore of 'vampires' was easy enough to do whilst avoiding most of those cliches.
So- Let's delve into a small scenario.
Say if some kind of advanced beast race or something similar was released that wasn't xenophobic like the Makani, what would happen? One many think just as we saw from the Makani that we would have a large number of players who apply, and play them for a while and ruin the entire server, and that simply wouldn't be the case. I can't think of too many people that would consistently play them after the initial hype had run it's course. Just look at the Caparii.

tl;dr '''Vampires''' with some form of application, and proper lore that avoids cliches would be good for the health of the server and something I fully support.

Last edited:

BoredBrit

Lord of Altera
Legend
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
i didnt like playing my makani because they were too xenophobic and i ended up having them latch onto folk who aren't around as much.

however, i dont think vampires are cool. ugh!

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Rossu I’d also point to halflings and dwarves who don’t really get much love unless someone has some dedication to the race. These two were going to get the chopping block by every lore coordinator before. It's a hit and miss with races, but there usually is at least one person playing something. It's just that most races, even endangered ones, have groups they play with- which is why they dwindle when groups spread out to other things. Saying Makani are a failed race is a bit of a stretch there- and nay, not everyone played them properly. They aren't all crazy wild and willing to kill any groundling in their sight, for example.

The xenophobia is a good point and something I can look into tweaking as time has passed since they were last introduced.

Edit:
Raphael Payne I did read most of what you wrote. I realize it hints at something major the prior lore folks have also been avoiding in playable races/cultures, or changing. It's the fact that most folks can't play antagonizing races long term for some reason or other. ie- Many of the corruption races of Greyling, Earthspawn and Moors were changed drastically to be more welcoming and less aggressive towards the other races. At least, out right in the Lore. Not a lot of people made Moors back when I started until there was more understanding of their race and flexibility in how they were otherwise played. There are of course- individuals that stick to being xenophobic. There were once selected demon characters as well- and they were removed for different reasons, but one can probably assume being antagonistic as a race or creature right off the bat as being a reason. This is part of the reason why we introduced beasts- so players could play aggressive/opposing things to regular races, although they aren't intelligible.

What I'm ultimately saying, is that it's an interesting proposal, but not for something long-term. Much like "Skraag's Touch", it would be for something short term as it's a sickness and it'd have to have a cure. This is not me saying it's possible, btw. I'm making note of what it'd have to be.

Last edited:

Raphael Payne

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Mystic
As I feel this should be yet again brought up, this isn't a new race but an affliction. I'm certain your response is the same but I wish only to bring this up, beyond that I am sorry for bringing this to the table but it was more of an eye opener to me if anything.

You see, Solus , the short-folk are highly susceptible to the new tactic called 'punting', which has caused a very serious impact on their population.

On a moire serious term, I don't see the advantage to adding another race when we already have a multitude of underplayed ones. A disease, on the other hand, could add some interesting story elements, certainly adding to the current Forlorn atmosphere. Honestly, I'd be really worried about the disease falling into that traditional and kinda lame 'ugh my dark curse' trope instead of it being the serious condition it should be.