Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[No] An Attempted Simplification of Alteran Time

Sos

Lord of Altera
I thought this was a timeline piece... But seen as he is trying to make sense of something more fickle than LotR magic.

*ignites pilot light on flamer* TO UNDERSTAND THE WARP IS HERESY!

Last edited:

Mryosi

Lord of Altera
Its a bit unrelated but since we brought the subject of time- How do we know if its morning, noon or evening?
I've found myself wondering more than once if I should say "good morning" or "good evening". I could rely on my own timezone but how could I say good afternoon when its night in MC?
Mayhaps I could use MC time but again- I start a conversation in the morning and before I know it it's night, then morning again. Did we spoke for an entire day?

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Its a bit unrelated but since we brought the subject of time- How do we know if its morning, noon or evening?
I've found myself wondering more than once if I should say "good morning" or "good evening". I could rely on my own timezone but how could I say good afternoon when its night in MC?
Mayhaps I could use MC time but again- I start a conversation in the morning and before I know it it's night, then morning again. Did we spoke for an entire day?
I tend to go generally on a mix of american and european timezones. When it's night for both of us, I generally say Good Evening or such. But Good Day is a good way out of having to deal with those shenanigans.

I think we can come up with a canon explanation of time without sounding the death-knell to the desired free-form RP. The way we do so is proposing an explanation that doesn't change anything but rather records the system we have. Challenge Accepted.

First, I think alteran time and our time is and should be 1:1, as we do celebrate holidays on the server (Somnastra). But I think this time should apply to everything, not just environment. But where I differ is that I believe we have separated "age" from the 1:1 alteran "time". In other words, while time is static, a player's "age" varies based on other factors.

The first, and most important, factor is a character's "intent" to age a certain way. Under this proposal, a character ages according to his own intent, so long as it complies with the ooc floor and ceiling rules. The OP'er used an example where one person didn't age at all (actually aged two years) in the same timespan that another person aged enough to start and raise a family. Under my proposal, this would be perfectly ok because the speed a person "ages" is determined by desire or intent. The person who aged two years wanted to be younger, so he stayed younger. The person who wanted to be older and start a family became older and started a family.

Under this view the "time" passes the same rate. It's "age" that is variable (but still normally linear). This proposal allows for an IC explanation for the varying aging process without attributing it to divine sources.

I'll set another example. Let's say two twins are born and age together at the max rate until they are both aged 21 (21 weeks irl). At this time, they get in a big fight about life goals. Twin A wants to raise a family, so he intends to age as slowly as possible (1:1 real time). Twin B desperately wants to join a Knight's order that he can't join until he is 25, so he ages at the fastest rate allowable and turns 25 four irl weeks later. So twin A is 21 and 4 weeks and twin B is 25. It's not that twin B has lived 25 years and twin A has only lived 21 years. Both twins are 25 weeks old. The age of their bodies is what differs.

We get a bit messy when we delve into whether twin B has more life experience because he is 25. My response is that experience ought to be determined by "time" not age. Under this scenario, all characters theoretically can get experience at the same rate. Thus, a one week old character who starts at 65 cannot be more skilled at a task than a 100 week character who is also 65 and spent all 100 weeks working on the same task.

It would thus be useful to keep track of a character's "time" and "age", with time being how many irl weeks the character has existed and age being the "age" of the character.

I know it's quirky, but I think it's what we have. A character's age depends on intent to age (within the limits).

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
That's.... basically what we have. There's no need to solidify it.

I guess I disagree that we don't need to "solidify" it. I think there is a gap in lore to not have an IC explanation for why characters age differently, and I don't think it's that hard to adopt the "intent" explanation, as I haven't changed anything. My goal was to write down what we have, not to change it.

However, I'll let it go out of respect that a staff no means no.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I guess I disagree that we don't need to "solidify" it. I think there is a gap in lore to not have an IC explanation for why characters age differently, and I don't think it's that hard to adopt the "intent" explanation, as I haven't changed anything. My goal was to write down what we have, not to change it.

However, I'll let it go out of respect that a staff no means no.
Thank you. :)

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
I usually consider the IC time of day during an RP as the time it's represented in Minecraft when the RP starts.

Also, it would be a nice idea to have a plugin that made night and day change a lot slower, perhaps goes from day to night every 2hours

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
I think we can come up with a canon explanation of time without sounding the death-knell to the desired free-form RP. The way we do so is proposing an explanation that doesn't change anything but rather records the system we have. Challenge Accepted.

First, I think alteran time and our time is and should be 1:1, as we do celebrate holidays on the server (Somnastra). But I think this time should apply to everything, not just environment. But where I differ is that I believe we have separated "age" from the 1:1 alteran "time". In other words, while time is static, a player's "age" varies based on other factors.

The first, and most important, factor is a character's "intent" to age a certain way. Under this proposal, a character ages according to his own intent, so long as it complies with the ooc floor and ceiling rules. The OP'er used an example where one person didn't age at all (actually aged two years) in the same timespan that another person aged enough to start and raise a family. Under my proposal, this would be perfectly ok because the speed a person "ages" is determined by desire or intent. The person who aged two years wanted to be younger, so he stayed younger. The person who wanted to be older and start a family became older and started a family.

Under this view the "time" passes the same rate. It's "age" that is variable (but still normally linear). This proposal allows for an IC explanation for the varying aging process without attributing it to divine sources.

I'll set another example. Let's say two twins are born and age together at the max rate until they are both aged 21 (21 weeks irl). At this time, they get in a big fight about life goals. Twin A wants to raise a family, so he intends to age as slowly as possible (1:1 real time). Twin B desperately wants to join a Knight's order that he can't join until he is 25, so he ages at the fastest rate allowable and turns 25 four irl weeks later. So twin A is 21 and 4 weeks and twin B is 25. It's not that twin B has lived 25 years and twin A has only lived 21 years. Both twins are 25 weeks old. The age of their bodies is what differs.

We get a bit messy when we delve into whether twin B has more life experience because he is 25. My response is that experience ought to be determined by "time" not age. Under this scenario, all characters theoretically can get experience at the same rate. Thus, a one week old character who starts at 65 cannot be more skilled at a task than a 100 week character who is also 65 and spent all 100 weeks working on the same task.

It would thus be useful to keep track of a character's "time" and "age", with time being how many irl weeks the character has existed and age being the "age" of the character.

I know it's quirky, but I think it's what we have. A character's age depends on intent to age (within the limits).
All of this^

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
I usually consider the IC time of day during an RP as the time it's represented in Minecraft when the RP starts.

Also, it would be a nice idea to have a plugin that made night and day change a lot slower, perhaps goes from day to night every 2hours
I think we used to have this, but it broke. @SallyPirate @ptiber

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I believe all day-altering plugins broke about the same time. Sooooo, until they get fixed, we can't.