Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Active Now Occurances

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
You think there is no such thing as earthquakes on flatland? Or tidal waves, at that... :L
I'm probably horribly wrong somewhere here; but aren't Earthquakes primarily caused when two tectonic plates rub against each other?
And that the movement of two tectonic plates would create ditches or mountains, hence a "flatland" would most likely be at the CENTER of these plates and not the edge?

So yeah... I'd say there is no such thing as a proper Earthquake in a flatland. The shockwaves from the edge of the plates could reach the center easily, but all that dirt and rock will have dampened the majority of the energy to the point where the 'quake is unnoticed.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I'm probably horribly wrong somewhere here; but aren't Earthquakes primarily caused when two tectonic plates rub against each other?
And that the movement of two tectonic plates would create ditches or mountains, hence a "flatland" would most likely be at the CENTER of these plates and not the edge?

So yeah... I'd say there is no such thing as a proper Earthquake in a flatland. The shockwaves from the edge of the plates could reach the center easily, but all that dirt and rock will have dampened the majority of the energy to the point where the 'quake is unnoticed.
You're not completely wrong. Technically, most earthquakes are caused by tectonic plate movement. However there are exceptions to the rule. Also, I'd focus more on the latter part of the post. Tidal waves would be more disastrous on a flatland, would they not? :p

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
You're not completely wrong. Technically, most earthquakes are caused by tectonic plate movement. However there are exceptions to the rule. Also, I'd focus more on the latter part of the post. Tidal waves would be more disastrous on a flatland, would they not? :p
Depends how far the waves go, I'd say that Novus is quite far inland, too far for them to reach.
And yes, there are exceptions to the Earthquake rules, I forgot whatelse causes 'quakes though. As far as I'm aware though, these 'quakes are less powerful, barely noticeable in most cases.