Official Lore FAQ

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
If hollowworld was a movie based on altera, that'd be a kind of cool basis
In all seriousness though, Vorar's the only one known to exist. Original prototype model, with different chassis designed but never implemented, until Vorar was able to upgrade its own prototype/blank frame to the Crafter designation.

There was also Builder, Soldier, and Caster, which I chose to forgo.

Builder would have even thicker limbs and moderate armor, and extendo-limbs.

Soldier had the strongest armor of any chassis, as well as an extending, rotating sword on one arm.

Mage had terri-weak armor and would slow Vorar down from the added weight of the technomagical equipment, but would allow him to redirect energy to perform evocation magic like Legion the magus did.

The Crafter frame I chose provided heightened dexterity and multi-tool limbs. That's about it. Lucky lucky Altera.

NIAH

Secretly Elz
Retired Staff
It has been a long time since I've looked at this, but I adore some of the questions/answers/information that's been put in. Good to see some of the information reinforced!:D

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Did we ever settle what redstone is and how it works? I remember us (a couple of folks in staff in the long years ago) about it possibly being magnetic with some sort of charge that flipped. How /does/ it work?

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Hey folks- I’ve been getting more questions in discord lately and wanted to let people know to ask general questions here! You may get answers earlier by other staff or players familiar with the lore. Thank you!

Electric

Lord of Altera
Patron
With the alchemy system that me and Solus created, it takes time and effort to learn a potion because of the two-stage mastery process. My question is in regards to variations on "base potions". For example, I learn the Strength Potion- this took me, let's say, an OOC week to get down. Is acceptable to say that I don't need to go through the entire learning process again to learn an extended version of it (via redstone) or a more powerful version (via glowstone)? I ask because technically it doesn't make sense. ICly, making a Strength Potion is an entirely new process- makes sense that it takes time. However, extending the duration or making it more potent seem like simple tasks comparatively (as you are just adding a single ingredient to the already made potion). I have the same question about lingering and splash potions.

Rawkiller

Lord of Altera
So to clarify after talking to jazzper and wanting to clear some things up so I dont get smacked with technicalities later, the nether stars at the spawn you buy are not ic, even if you get the stars to a enchanter icly to make a beacon threw ic means as a gem crafted beacon?

NIAH

Secretly Elz
Retired Staff
So to clarify after talking to jazzper and wanting to clear some things up so I dont get smacked with technicalities later, the nether stars at the spawn you buy are not ic, even if you get the stars to a enchanter icly to make a beacon threw ic means as a gem crafted beacon?
They are not "nether stars". They are fascimiles of gems fashioned together. You can read the beacon lore to find out more. They are IC as a fascimile, but not "nether stars"
https://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/beacons.43413/

Last edited:

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
With the alchemy system that me and Solus created, it takes time and effort to learn a potion because of the two-stage mastery process. My question is in regards to variations on "base potions". For example, I learn the Strength Potion- this took me, let's say, an OOC week to get down. Is acceptable to say that I don't need to go through the entire learning process again to learn an extended version of it (via redstone) or a more powerful version (via glowstone)? I ask because technically it doesn't make sense. ICly, making a Strength Potion is an entirely new process- makes sense that it takes time. However, extending the duration or making it more potent seem like simple tasks comparatively (as you are just adding a single ingredient to the already made potion). I have the same question about lingering and splash potions.
As your character has learned the pace of alchemy, you can set up your own system on how to go about learning of glowstone and redstone perks.

Unfortunately, the Lore has not written much about redstone/glowstone perks in alchemy and I remain to see them as ingredients that can't be digested. Therefor, for the foreseeable time being, only external potions will take effect with redstone and glowstone

Electric

Lord of Altera
Patron
As your character has learned the pace of alchemy, you can set up your own system on how to go about learning of glowstone and redstone perks.

Unfortunately, the Lore has not written much about redstone/glowstone perks in alchemy and I remain to see them as ingredients that can't be digested. Therefor, for the foreseeable time being, only external potions will take effect with redstone and glowstone
Lovely :I

Electric

Lord of Altera
Patron

Ah- had a follow up to this, actually. If most MC mechanics are supposed to function the same iRP (we have clocks, for instance, but no other gear inventions that I know of), how come potions are getting nerfed to where a whole section of them are not lore friendly?

NIAH

Secretly Elz
Retired Staff
You can digest metal, why not dust?
Arch during his time in lore coordinator tenure mentioned that ingesting Redstone dust had the same effect as iron poisoning, iirc.

Ah- had a follow up to this, actually. If most MC mechanics are supposed to function the same iRP (we have clocks, for instance, but no other gear inventions that I know of), how come potions are getting nerfed to where a whole section of them are not lore friendly?
I think you can still have potions that last longer or are stronger, but I'd imagine it's probably best to gloss over the use of redstone or glowstone dust to do that. They're nerfed, though, because people did not RP them correctly, without proper consequences, without proper usage, without proper effects.

Electric

Lord of Altera
Patron
Arch during his time in lore coordinator tenure mentioned that ingesting Redstone dust had the same effect as iron poisoning, iirc.

I think you can still have potions that last longer or are stronger, but I'd imagine it's probably best to gloss over the use of redstone or glowstone dust to do that. They're nerfed, though, because people did not RP them correctly, without proper consequences, without proper usage, without proper effects.
This seems a bit confusing- Solus said only external potions can be affected via glowstone and redstone for some reason. You’re saying the MC mechanic (all potions being affected) can stay in place as long as the glowstone and redstone is not used ICly?