Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

On Fencing and Weapons

MaelstromPuddle

Lord of Altera
Legend
Auralein
Auralein
Legend
I have seen people carrying Rapiers and Sabres as of late and I just want to help with my knowledge of fencing.

Foils:

Foil, derived from the french word faible: meaning weak were training swords and accessories for aristocratic nobles of many nations, duels with foils were often to first blood. Foils are exceedingly bendy and do not do much damage, if you press to hard with a foil, it is likely to snap. The guard featured a French or Belgian grip which made handing the sword easier and a cover to stop your hands from being stabbed. Foils are strong at the base called a "Forte" and weak at the point called a "Debole". I would only ever use a foil for an accessory or for light fencing with a friend.

Rapier/Epee:

Contray to popular belief, Rapiers are sharp on the blade, however they were never used for slashing, often made out of cold steel, Rapiers were rigid and designed to kill, if a nobleman drew a Rapier, you knew he was serious about something. They often featured French and Belgian grips and featured different guards. They were stabbing weapons that with enough force get through mail if need be, they were sharp on the sides to prevent people from grabbing the sword and stabbing you with theirs.

Sabres:

Incorporating a fast edge with sharp steel made the sabre a scary weapon, normally requiring fencers of high dexterous skill to wield, this sword was carried by French and Italian horsemen, and a single strike to the head on neck could fair fatal. Made of cold steel, these are primarily cavalry weapons, these would never go through mail or plate, even boiled leather may have being able to withstand it.

You see how quick it can all end? Can you even tell when they parried?