• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Please Don't Flood Lore With Subcultures

Do you agree that all submitted and approved official racial cultures should have 15 players min.?

• Total voters

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
If a submitted culture is sent in to the lore team with less than fifteen players as a minimum requirement and without unique, extensive, and high quality writing, please do not even give the culture consideration. Any culture added to the already decent sized list of races and cultures available will only further serve to clutter the lore.

Look at it like the dynmap. Regions aren't required to have a minimum amount of players involved in the region to apply for a dynmap marker, and as a result, the map itself is almost entirely blotted out with huge swaths of oversized and inconsistent markers.

There's a poll up above to answer on whether or not you agree with this post.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
I think the minimum that's already there is enough as is, anyhow. It states that you need at least five MAIN characters on the specific home region to make the culture a thing anyway.
And if we just move it up to fifteen players, that'd make things harder for anyone to want to achieve in making their own culture. Especially with how limited the server's numbers are as is anyway. And if we did have enough players, there's still the clique issue that's already about.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I think the minimum that's already there is enough as is, anyhow. It states that you need at least five MAIN characters on the specific home region to make the culture a thing anyway.
And if we just move it up to fifteen players, that'd make things harder for anyone to want to achieve in making their own culture. Especially with how limited the server's numbers are as is anyway. And if we did have enough players, there's still the clique issue that's already about.
Five is a lesser number than it was previously, and has been lowered to account for the lower average server population. Cultures are not supposed to be designed as pandering to cliques, either. Anyone can play a sooleran, and anyone can apply to play an Anhalder. The only thing keeping anyone from playing either is an understanding of the lore, not a friendliness with the writer.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Five is a lesser number than it was previously, and has been lowered to account for the lower average server population. Cultures are not supposed to be designed as pandering to cliques, either. Anyone can play a sooleran, and anyone can apply to play an Anhalder. The only thing keeping anyone from playing either is an understanding of the lore, not a friendliness with the writer.
That's not what I meant by clique issue. I mean that our numbers are even worse because you need MAIN characters to get the thing off the ground. And finding people to help make the culture possible greatly relies on finding friends who'll play those characters as their mains.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
That's not what I meant by clique issue. I mean that our numbers are even worse because you need MAIN characters to get the thing off the ground. And finding people to help make the culture possible greatly relies on finding friends who'll play those characters as their mains.
Alternatively, people could band together as groups that form cultures based on organic roleplay instead of deciding OOC to make new characters and form a culture.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Alternatively, people could band together as groups that form cultures based on organic roleplay instead of deciding OOC to make new characters and form a culture.
And once again, that'll be hard to do with how many cliques there are in the first place. It's the reason making some guilds possible is so hard as well, if you don't have any buds to group together with your shit will never make it past the first stage.

Blorbis83

Legend of Altera

Joking aside I think people would create subcultures even if they’re not made official. Perhaps we should educate people to integrate organic RP into the creation of their cultures instead of outright banning it. I can’t necessarily talk of course.

Cymic_

Lord of Altera
Actually glados, the lore is restricted to 5 mains for a culture to be approved. This stops people from cliquing up with new characters and starting a culture because they'd likely be considered alts.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Actually glados, the lore is restricted to 5 mains for a culture to be approved. This stops people from cliquing up with new characters and starting a culture because they'd likely be considered alts.
Already made that point, Cymic. *thumbs up.*

There's been like 6 soolera characters ever lol

Anyways what's prompting this post?
And I have you know, I have two Soolerans. (Sure both are inactive, but still)

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
There's been like 6 soolera characters ever lol

Anyways what's prompting this post?
The closing of culture submissions to sort through their backlog. I'm all for new cultures, but they should be done well. Look to Anhalder and Norvagen for example. The Sangrians host a good potential to be quality server lore, for example. With some more work and editing they'd be a good choice.

And to those claiming in their echo chambers of Skype chats that I wrote this through bias, you should understand that I have no intention to form a new culture myself and I have no knowledge of any of my friends that plan on it. The culture that was approved, Anhalder, is some of the highest quality writing in the lore section and originally met the proposed requirement of 15+ members. Another thing it has going for it is original and commissioned art straight from the community. Instead of insulting me in private over my proposal, why not commission some artwork and refine your writing? Many of the people who are said to be insulting me based on my proposal seem to be upset that their concepts for culture do not have 15+ members, but have they considered why they might not? Cultures grow organically if the culture has quality in lore and consistency in that quality. I was hardline anti-Anhald until after they had already conquered the world, and what drew me to making a character in the culture was how well designed the culture was.

Tldr, rather than crying bias over my choice to propose 15+ as a number, why not band together as a group of more than 15 people and develop a culture together?

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I didn't say it wasn't, nor have I in this post. I mentioned that the requirements for a culture have been loosened in recent history. My concern with the system lies in the exact fact that you're trying to explain to me. Five is not a big enough number.

Five Earthspawn were not enough to stop the race from going extinct. Why should five people be enough to classify as an ethnic group?

Spirit

Lord of Altera
The closing of culture submissions to sort through their backlog. I'm all for new cultures, but they should be done well. Look to Anhalder and Norvagen for example. The Sangrians host a good potential to be quality server lore, for example. With some more work and editing they'd be a good choice.

And to those claiming in their echo chambers of Skype chats that I wrote this through bias, you should understand that I have no intention to form a new culture myself and I have no knowledge of any of my friends that plan on it. The culture that was approved, Anhalder, is some of the highest quality writing in the lore section and originally met the proposed requirement of 15+ members. Another thing it has going for it is original and commissioned art straight from the community. Instead of insulting me in private over my proposal, why not commission some artwork and refine your writing? Many of the people who are said to be insulting me based on my proposal seem to be upset that their concepts for culture do not have 15+ members, but have they considered why they might not? Cultures grow organically if the culture has quality in lore and consistency in that quality. I was hardline anti-Anhald until after they had already conquered the world, and what drew me to making a character in the culture was how well designed the culture was.

Tldr, rather than crying bias over my choice to propose 15+ as a number, why not band together as a group of more than 15 people and develop a culture together?
Do you not know how you sound right there? That's where the bias is right there, bud. Seriously, go back and READ what you just typed. Go ahead, I'll wait.