It took a lot to get here
Law of The People's Republic of Amalfia:
The Republic of Amalfia uses the system of common law.
The Highest institution of law in the Republic of Amalfia are
the People's Courts, they decided on the cases and the punishment
attributed to the crimes. The only rule is that a judge has
to respect the decision taken on a case while doing his
decision on new cases. Hence the law is created
with each decision made in a court of law. All decisions
will be listed. But in attempt to make the law clearer a code
have been created , The Code of Citizens Law.
The second source of the creation of law is the Doge of The Republic,
who has the rigth to make edicts to forbid certain actions within the lands.
The people's court are not permanent courts, they are called
in every time they are needed. The judges in the courts are issues
from the people decided by the doge.
The doge can name any Citizen as a judge for the duration of the case.
The people's court resides in the doge's palace in Amalfia. The courts decide
if the accused is guilty as well as the punishment that will be given
if the accused is guilty.
The court will be called in if:
- Citizens request it to settle a dispute, in that case two citizens (or groups) will present arguments in the peoples court and the judges will decide.
- if a crime has been committed, either the Republic or a Citizen will notify the court who will begin an investigation into the committed crime. the accused has the right to defend himself or choose a representative.
these laws are a base for all citizens to respect, they will determine those who commit crimes. But citizens can still go to the court if they consider that someone has committed a crime even though it is not written down in this code. the court will then decide on it. If the court considers that the accused has committed a crime the decision rendered will be archived and considered as a future law for all cases of the same nature (it becomes a law).
The following are considered to be crimes :
- Stealing : these includes all kinds of thefts and robbery as well as banditry
- Assault : it is forbidden to assault another citizen. Assault is the attempted slaying or injury of another party outside of wartime or duels.
- Murder: No citizen may take the life of the other. The Doge and vice Doge are exempted from this law, as they are the only ones who have the right to take the life of a citizen (executions).
- Treason : committing treason is the highest offense against the People's Republic of Amalfia it is defined as citizens of a state acting against their own state. The punishment for treason is death.
- Witchcraft : The crime of witchcraft is the practice of magic.