Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Public Statement in Regards to X-Road Builds

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Public Statement in regards to a Full on Spawn Town/Sneak peak at X-Roads Build Contest:

Greetings, Players and Builders alike. This is your In-Game Tech Coordinator here to inform you on the progress of the Spawn Town players have vied for {Here} and {Here}. The process of a Spawn Town has long been discussed between everyone- Staff and players alike for months now. You're probably wondering "What’s going on?” Well, when deciding what to do up in Staff-zone after players request something big done, we have to figure out the idea of the project, the reason for that project, what the end-game and purpose is, find people to pedal it to move forward and process if it's a fairly large project. The next part is who ends up heading it- as Spawn Town ranges from Events/Builds/Generally anyone who wants to head it up here. When you have a lot of people with different opinions of what the end result/process/purpose should be, it tends to slow that process down.

What are the differing opinions? Some of us believed having a full on new Spawn Town is what this server needs- despite having Port Silver, our last large spawn town, destroyed in order to spread out roleplay to player-run towns. Condensing roleplay to one place, even if there were different factions, different characters, potentially high peaks of reports- Giving players reason to roleplay together in one area, easily reachable, seemed to trump those concerns. This brings in the spread out playerbase together to advance storylines and more.

Another idea was to create a faction favoring town hub. As players needed a ripe place to recruit new players that join in for their own towns, a faction town hub would be a good place to figure out where new players wished to settle, leaning more into new player retention instead of current player retention. In light of immersion, it would have to be done carefully.

Then there was always the advocate of leaving things as they are, as we’ve already gone through a Port Silver destruction due to players seeing it as deriving attraction away from their town. As we full well know, spreading out players to every which direction has not been a grand way for moving players together for roleplay. Roleplay is a very big deal here.

HollowWorld has always had a unique feature where we allow the players, you!, to create and purchase their own regions for kingdoms, towns, hubs, villages, islands, and more. The best thing about this feature is you work together with friends and players all over the world to advance your organizations, kingdoms and towns. You gain experience in building, creating towns, roleplay, making events, and you make a few friends along the way. This feature is something even new players praise as they join in, fresh off their sea legs, and older players favor for personal workings. This is one of the main reasons we’ve not pursued creating a new Spawn Town as our decision was to leave it to the players to grow and enhance. It still is a very good reason.

We’ve noticed over the last several months that Spawn Town wants to be on the agenda. We hear you, folks. After sorting it out with the Coordinators at the time, Lannis,Antilogy, Niek Morenta, (Somnastra guiding to a contest), and myself with a few focused comments by other notable Staff Members -have decided to pursue a Crossroads Build Contest. The main purpose of this is to retain new players, give current players reason to come together to roleplay, and to create a visibly appealing place where people cross roads and more. With Staff focus on running this server (In-Game Tech alone has a lot of mechanics that have to be worked on with different jobs, along with helping Dungeons be built in time for Aeon Events), we’ve had to figure out a way to pursue this. Leaving it to the players was the solution, however, a contest was more fair to spread the work /and/ give chance to spread leadership and people to work together.

What we won’t have will be market places nor homes where people can rent and stay. This is because it requires a lot of dedication and attention to add people into regions, have them set things up, moderate the region for griefing- and basically Staff attention doesn’t need to focus there but towards more Staff related work. (Trust me, I help run Grafjell and mayor business of purchasing houses and moderating it in-character is a tough job.) I personally vied for letting players take care of housing for others on their own regions so that we don’t take away too much with this agenda. The focus was to let players and new players stick around the place as long as they needed in a bustling, usually violent, Inn before finding a place to settle.

The benefits of having a contest included mechanics where working together was more beneficial than working and building alone. Until the Staff can focus on a Spawn Town or if we wish the server to pursue it more, we wanted to see how well a more focused Crossroads would fair with our playerbase. The contest requests a few notable and important builds be created by players themselves in which you folks organize yourselves together. At the end of the contest, the builds that have the most favor from the playerbase and Staff will have their builds WE’ed into choice spots near the Crossroads and around it, possibly a pier as well, with rewards in place. In a while, I’m having the final write up of a formal format of the Contest with details discussed by Staff. Please continue to be patient with us as we do have other projects to take care of, myself having to build for the server and others keeping up with their work. Thank you.

Regards,
Solus from Staff Team

Note- I'll leave the thread open for Q's and open discussion- but would like to emphasize the write-up will still be occurring. Trying to get quality content out to you folks takes time~

Interested folk/made the public discussion in the first place:
Sankera Tempy_ Rygan Naelwyn Mitch Archbishop Lady Alec
@Everyother builder that wants to take part. Sit tight 'n be prepared.

Last edited:

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Will building materials be provided for the contest?
Players will be building in the creative zone- so the builders will have materials there. There'll be mechanics in place to accommodate the transition. Sit tight as the writeup with detail is still in the works.

_Jaylor_

Loyal Servant of Altera
Players will be building in the creative zone- so the builders will have materials there. There'll be mechanics in place to accommodate the transition. Sit tight as the writeup with detail is still in the works.
Sorry, sorry. I'm just so excited to show off my mediocre building skills.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Almost 2 years ago you won the cathedral contest Solus, in 2 years my powers have grown. This gun be good

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
... Without a marketplace or any homes, it still adds the question of "Why would anybody be here, ever?" If there is no trade, there are no visitors. If there are no homes, there are no citizens of the city, meaning the place is run... by ghosts? City council members. Mayors. Citizens, various reasons for people to be in this location. One of the big complaints about the Crossroads, apart from it being so small and insignificant, was that nobody had any real in-character reason to be in a random inn in the middle of nowhere, miles from any major city. If there is no basis for reasoning to be in the town, there is no reason for there to be a town in the first place. The concept of a spawn RP hub is not that there's a bunch of... empty buildings that serve no purpose except to persuade people to remain inside the Inn, it's that there are homes for neutral players, embassies, marketplaces, trade, reason for there to be a town to begin with. Just having an empty city with unused buildings and a spawn point does nothing to remedy the solution of the emptiness and shallowness of RP at Crossroads.

If players aren't able to interact meaningfully with the scenery, what buildings would actually be there, and why?

CaptnBluebeard

Lord of Altera
... Without a marketplace or any homes, it still adds the question of "Why would anybody be here, ever?" If there is no trade, there are no visitors. If there are no homes, there are no citizens of the city, meaning the place is run... by ghosts? City council members. Mayors. Citizens, various reasons for people to be in this location. One of the big complaints about the Crossroads, apart from it being so small and insignificant, was that nobody had any real in-character reason to be in a random inn in the middle of nowhere, miles from any major city. If there is no basis for reasoning to be in the town, there is no reason for there to be a town in the first place. The concept of a spawn RP hub is not that there's a bunch of... empty buildings that serve no purpose except to persuade people to remain inside the Inn, it's that there are homes for neutral players, embassies, marketplaces, trade, reason for there to be a town to begin with. Just having an empty city with unused buildings and a spawn point does nothing to remedy the solution of the emptiness and shallowness of RP at Crossroads.

If players aren't able to interact meaningfully with the scenery, what buildings would actually be there, and why?
There should be a purpose to visit this place, much so with reasons that people visit other towns, if it's for religious affiliation or to shop and trade, given that it's a "spawn" town it should serve as an example as well for newcomers as to how we wish the community and themselves to act and/or how to live, if all they did up to this point was make dirt houses, we need to wow the tourists

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single

Perhaps it may be best to think about it as a slow progression into a city? It's just how I'm looking at it. As stated above, staff doesn't have time to dedicate to region over watch, as that's left more to player towns, but perhaps there will be a chance later in the future. The inn is meant to house new players until they find a town they enjoy, not really as a permanent solution. Spawn serves as an access point to walk to the Grand Shrines, that's... honestly reason enough for my own characters to not find the inn to be pointless, as you say. I've honestly never seen an issue with spawn how it is, but that's just me.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Perhaps it may be best to think about it as a slow progression into a city? It's just how I'm looking at it. As stated above, staff doesn't have time to dedicate to region over watch, as that's left more to player towns, but perhaps there will be a chance later in the future. The inn is meant to house new players until they find a town they enjoy, not really as a permanent solution. Spawn serves as an access point to walk to the Grand Shrines, that's... honestly reason enough for my own characters to not find the inn to be pointless, as you say. I've honestly never seen an issue with spawn how it is, but that's just me.
I get that it's a lot of work, but there are nearly 20 staff members and not all of them are even on any dedicated project. I'm not trying to be rude, but Mairin handled rent when Port Silver was active and we had less folks. I'm very appreciative that staff are listening, but it kinda feels more like a set being built than a city.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner

There'll be reason for the buildings to be in place. small buildings of Hospital, Piers that transfer cargoships, Ships, butchers shop, etc. Leave the reasoning to us. This will still be a place of Roads Crossing. I emphasized that we need to make sure we don't take away from player towns and what they bring to the table because this is a big step. If there are people that actually want to pursue more of it, we'll see how the players will be able to work together for this first.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Can I ask, then, who is going to operate these buildings, hospitals, docks? If there are no homes in the city, there are no denizens. Nobody is going to wake up at 3 AM, walk 10 miles to work, walk home at 8 PM, sleep for one hour, then do it all over again.

If you're so concerned about mayorship, enact a player instead of staff. Or like Rygan said, a staff member who isn't currently occupied, like Anti.

This is not an interesting or fun way to set up a town. It isn't a town. It's a few empty buildings with no workers. Cities run by NPCs don't get rp activity, look at Sorrowstown.

Having a central rp hub isn't going to take away from player cities. It didn't before, and it won't now. It serves as a place that people have a reason to be, so that they can rp with new folks when nobody in their own faction is around.

Not to mention the fact that right now there are only two actual governments, and I don't think either will think it's a stab in the back for there to be an ACTUAL rp hub.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
It wasn't naming names; he just stepped down from event coordinator and he runs very successful towns in the past. He knows what he's doing, and from player perspective, it looks like he could use a new focus at the time. I don't know what he's doing now but I mentioned him because he's proven to be incredibly successful in the past at running towns. What about Archbishop, as well? In tandem they could run a central town pretty effectively.

LiraKitty

Lord of Altera
I look at this as a chance for a neutral ground where divided factions can come together without fear of killing each other. Players do not have to live or have building permissions in a town for them to rp in it. There just needs to be buildings and places where a character would actually be seen as willing to go. I'm sorry if this comes across as scattered, I am a bit tired atm. My point is I find this to be very exciting.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
It wasn't naming names; he just stepped down from event coordinator and he runs very successful towns in the past. He knows what he's doing, and from player perspective, it looks like he could use a new focus at the time. I don't know what he's doing now but I mentioned him because he's proven to be incredibly successful in the past at running towns. What about Archbishop, as well? In tandem they could run a central town pretty effectively.
With this proposition, it might just be easier to name Tambry as the spawn town, then. It's politically neutral, has pretty much what you'd find in any other town (Except maybe a church, but I've never found it myself, so I dunno. The place lags me) But again, the RP hub focus, as stated by solus is to be in Player run towns, not at spawn as a whole, yes, spawn holds a lot of RP, but it should be the point of RP. All in all, I'm happy about small increments, rather than some huge empty town, because a huge town can likewise be overwhelming to new players that don't know what to do.

Elt

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
This idea certainly seems neat, though I just wanted to ask, for clarification's sake: is this a precursor until Staff are able to get around to working out the idea of a new SpawnTown/recovery of P.S., or is it just a thing on its own?

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I think Tambry is a good candidate, yes. But I also know from personal experience that a big spawn city is NOT something that pushes away new players. People loved port silver, myself included.

_Jaylor_

Loyal Servant of Altera
With this proposition, it might just be easier to name Tambry as the spawn town, then. It's politically neutral, has pretty much what you'd find in any other town (Except maybe a church, but I've never found it myself, so I dunno. The place lags me) But again, the RP hub focus, as stated by solus is to be in Player run towns, not at spawn as a whole, yes, spawn holds a lot of RP, but it should be the point of RP. All in all, I'm happy about small increments, rather than some huge empty town, because a huge town can likewise be overwhelming to new players that don't know what to do.
speaking of which if anyone needs a tiny church lemme know

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
The issue's not really with.. just having a town, really, as an extension of the Crossroads. Most of the great roleplays I had in Port Silver came from working or being treated in Tzemik's ( Michcat )'s hospital, FrostGuardian, blargtheawesome and I buying a mansion and using it to start a city guard, etc. Being able to take charge and cultivate something that feels alive.