Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Public Statement in Regards to X-Road Builds

I don't think arch meant /that/ specific, though the effort is appreciated. I think he's looking more for what people think about some of the different options he's listed. I could be offbase, though, brain is currently fried from paper writing.

_Jaylor_

Loyal Servant of Altera
I see a lot of interesting vague concepts in the this thread, and I'd like to ask for something more concrete, if you will. Perhaps we could have some suggestions as to what people would actually like to physically see?

I've seen, over my time with Minecraft a vast array of scenarios regarding different forms of spawn. On one end of the spectrum I've seen no spawn, and people either spawn in a random place (ala Survival servers), to a system where new players choose a city to spawn in (my previous server). On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen one-spawn systems similar to our server here where it was either something minor and small (think crossroads), all the way up to a large server spawn city (think Port Silver).

We've swung already from the Large City model to a small minor location model in the past, and people seem to desire and swing back in the other direction. So I'd like to ask, what would people like to see? Keep in mind that we've done this song and dance before and public opinion could easily shift back to the 'spread around lesser spawn'.
Personally I think a small-medium town to spawn in would be nice, and have it be connected to a few other towns. Enough space to let a player explore and investigate, while also not making a huge citadel that newbies might feel lost in or intimidated by. Having it near other towns also allows a new person to go back and forth, to see what the different structural styles are like and figure out what they want from a town.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
I see a lot of interesting vague concepts in the this thread, and I'd like to ask for something more concrete, if you will. Perhaps we could have some suggestions as to what people would actually like to physically see?

I've seen, over my time with Minecraft a vast array of scenarios regarding different forms of spawn. On one end of the spectrum I've seen no spawn, and people either spawn in a random place (ala Survival servers), to a system where new players choose a city to spawn in (my previous server). On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen one-spawn systems similar to our server here where it was either something minor and small (think crossroads), all the way up to a large server spawn city (think Port Silver).

We've swung already from the Large City model to a small minor location model in the past, and people seem to desire and swing back in the other direction. So I'd like to ask, what would people like to see? Keep in mind that we've done this song and dance before and public opinion could easily shift back to the 'spread around lesser spawn'.
Rent/buyable homes, unoccupied buildings that can hold businesses, locations for people to set up companies IC. Things that make the place breathe.

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
A large RP hub, honestly. Having everything split into dozens of regions which only get five players maximum at a time is really hurting Role-Play.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
I don't think arch meant /that/ specific, though the effort is appreciated. I think he's looking more for what people think about some of the different options he's listed. I could be offbase, though, brain is currently fried from paper writing.
My apologies, yes, that.

Macro-level, not micro. Not yet.

I have the four I listed:
No main spawn + random spawning
No main spawn + free tp to first city of choice
Main spawn but minor build (current xroads)
Main spawn but major city spawn (Ala Port Silver)

If I'm missing any, please tell me, but those are the four that I know of right now.

_Jaylor_

Loyal Servant of Altera
My apologies, yes, that.

If I'm missing any, please tell me, but those are the four that I know of right now.
I'd have to say either 2 or 4

SpartanDory

Lord of Altera
My apologies, yes, that.

Maybe an option for a minor build but with more than just a tavern? like a small town.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
If I'm just voicing opinions here -

A primary spawn is a way to showcase the best building skills on the server. It can set the tone and draw players in, especially if the whole community comes together to make it great.

By having no spawn at all you are reliant on vibrant factional politics to do the same, and this server has historically not supported vibrant politics at all.
(Here's how they've gone so far: Two groups get into conflict. The conflict escalates ICly and OOCly until one group gets banned or leaves the server.)

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
I've read through the big ol' discussion on this thread but currently have no opinion of my own, so I'm just going to ask a question on something I'm a bit fuzzy on from the OP.

From what I'm getting, rather than building a properly lively and atmospherically/aesthetically condensed town, the goal is to get a handful of "key" buildings made and then scatter them in the area around the Crossroads? I'm not too sure how I feel about that as someone who's possibly interested in building, but I won't go into a spiel about that without knowing an answer/more elaborated details of the contest; looking forward to seeing that post. solus

Regardless of the feelings on the turnout of spawn itself, I'm liking the opportunity for player initiative and involvement through proposing this contest.

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
It was the part about getting "a few important and notable builds" and then "WE'ing them into choice spots around the Crossroads" that has me confused. Will just wait on the details thread before questioning anything else, though.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
It was the part about getting "a few important and notable builds" and then "WE'ing them into choice spots around the Crossroads" that has me confused. Will just wait on the details thread before questioning anything else, though.
I wrote that with the idea that the creative world is a flat world and the x-roads have hills and more. WE'ing to choice spots mean if the builds were built separately without thought to position, we'll accommodate choice spots. If you had a good idea of how your group was to set up the builds, we'd work with you on placement.

(If there has been more questions in regards to OP before this, apologies- we've been trying to see what the playerbase really wants from this initiative and want to respond accordingly by having a good feel for the focus first.)

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
If the server had reasons for players to group into factions/houses again, I'd be all for number 2. I remember back when Port silver had only four spots on the docks, and it was a coveted thing to have. Having a spot on the docks meant your city (and by extension your house) was one of the four most influential/powerful/ect on the server. It was a small gesture, but it was a goal, and groups looked for ways to achieve it. Something similar could be that the teleports given are limited to a small number, and have those spots based on city build attractiveness and active player population in said city.

I'd also be more than happy with 4, so long as that city is the seat of power for the ruling house of the server. Game of Crowns 2.0, yes please.