Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Putting the Council on hold

Readij

Radish
Retired Staff
Hello everyone,

This post is to inform you all that the Council is being suspended in order to explore new avenues for community members to help. We appreciate all of their contributions. They were all selected for Council because of their civil, respectful, and deliberate temperaments. They are exemplary members of the community, but there are many other exemplary members who are non council members, too.

The staff team would like to collectively thank all current and former Council Members for volunteering to serve and for striving to make our community better. The Council has been a valuable asset to the community and has produced some good results. It is one of the many examples of non-staff community members who make a positive impact on our community. They have made some significant contributions, including the prison rules, the road builds, the Hollow Helpers, and a slew of other excellent ideas.

As of late, Council activity is coming from small groups of people and in small bursts. We've lost a few folks, others are largely inactive, and for the past few months activity seems to be more and more solicited if not directed by staff. As a result, some of you may have noticed that staff have begun to solicit and act on opinions sourced directly in the playerbase. A recent example is the spawn survey and the campaign feedback.

This does not mean the staff team does not appreciate the opinions of its current Council members. On the contrary, the staff team respects and wants to hear all reasonable opinions. All community members are as free as ever to share opinions and advise the staff team. As always, if you feel uncomfortable sharing your opinions with everybody, you are free to message staff privately.

The staff team would also like to announce a new rank and invite you all to apply if you would like the opportunity to continue to aid staff beyond being an exemplary community member. This new rank is called Mentor, and is based off of Brian's Hollow Helpers plan. The Mentor will be helping staff with whitelists and also serve as, well, mentors for new players. This means answering questions, helping new players acquaint themselves with our lore and our community, and staying in touch with new players. We want to improve our new player experience, and we believe that the Mentor rank will add a personal touch. Ideally, a Mentor would have good judgement and would be active, friendly, and patient. We expect to have 6 Mentors, though that number is not set in stone. Expect more details and a Mentor application in the future, but as always please keep the Mentor rank and everything else in this forum confidential.

A little further down the pipeline, we're considering allowing volunteer community members to work with staff on specific areas of expertise.

From Lannis (Events Coordinator):
Events will be recruiting non-staff talent for experience and participation in running them at some point in the future. The extent of this is still being considered, though will likely include acting as event characters or provisionally as DMs after appropriate training.

From Solus (In Game Tech Coordinator):
It is still in discussion, but there is a possibility for select non-staff players to be able to aid in server builds. We can't disclose too much because it's still in development, but look forward to that upcoming feature.

Readij

Radish
Retired Staff
Mentor Program Description:
The Mentor's primary job will be not only to whitelist new members of this community, but help new players once they are whitelisted. We want to improve our new player experience, and we believe that the Mentor rank will add a personal touch that is currently sorely missed. Ideally, a Mentor would have good judgement and would be active, friendly, and patient.

The Mentor title is descriptive, folks in this rank will serve as whitelisters and mentors to the community. The job is to form a bond with new community members--to make them feel welcome and wanted. This means guiding players through acclimating with this server's community, answering questions, and setting a positive example on the forums, the server, and Teamspeak. It is not an advisory role because all community members are free to advise staff and share reasonable opinions.

The Mentor rank is not a stepping stone to staff. It is a standalone initiative. Some people who are fit for this program may not be good staff members, and some staff may not be fit for this job. That being said, staff can and likely will continue to whitelist along with the Mentors.

A new channel of communication will open between Staff and Mentors to answer any questions and offer whitelisting assistance. In addition, a staff member will oversee the Mentor program.

Application Process
We expect to have 6 Mentors, though that number is not set in stone. To make sure that Mentors are filled exclusively by active community members, each Mentor's application is subject to a quarterly renewal. Likewise, if current Mentors go inactive, they are expected to notify staff so the position can be refilled. It is a privilege, not a right. As such, staff shall retain the right to add or remove Mentors.

If you believe you possess the requisite qualities and are interested, please register your interest by filling out the following application and sending it in a private conversation to both Readij and Antilogy.

IGN:
Link to your Whitelist Application:
What Makes you Qualified to be a Mentor?:
Would you Make any Edits to the Whitelist Process, and if so, What Changes Would you Make?:
Are you Active on the Server, Forums, and (bonus) Teamspeak?
Any additional notes:

Readij

Radish
Retired Staff
Also, one last thing of note; if you are a former Council member and would like the 'Retired Council Member' forum tag, please let me know. Alternatively, if you currently have it and would like it removed, also let me know.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
All these illegal immigrants taking mah jobs. We need to make HW great again!

Seriously though apply to be Mentors n stuff folks.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
Not.. sure if this is something I can straight up volunteer for, but in regards to non-staff event help, I'd love to do so.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
This is great.
As a kind of new player, I find myself having problems here and there... I think the Mentor position would be very helpful.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Kinda glad about the council being put on hold.
Tbh I never truly felt represented by them (which was part of the claim back then they'd do) - Which is probably rooted in the fact that the community wasn't given even the slightest choice in who'd be in there.

So a suggestion in case it ever gets revived:
Make staff nominations to the posts and let the community vote on which nominated should be in there later on.

Jeroxia

We demons of our solemn hour
Good
I'd apply to be a mentor . I mean I've got the time but I'm so very out of date with everything still... It might not be a good idea

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
I'd apply to be a mentor . I mean I've got the time but I'm so very out of date with everything still... It might not be a good idea
Get back into the swing of things and enjoy yourself first Rox ;)
The Radish will tell you to relax, earn your trust and make your comfortable.
And then, when you least expect it, the Shadow Radish shall drive it's dagger into your heart.

Last edited: