Regarding Player Events and Lore

mairinbaihn

Jane of all Trades
Retired Staff
On Hollowworld, Players are given a unique opportunity not found on many other servers, to create events and movements that inspire change. We wholeheartedly welcome and encourage this so long as it fits into the lore. Groups and individuals should feel open to try and come up with these events and help shape the world of Altera through them. Staff does this as well with larger server events that help progress the story further.

.Boundaries of event planning and role play.

There is something to be remembered though during the course of this. This is a unique server, with hand crafted lore and story line. While we want Players to feel open to putting ideas and setting up events, we also want to remind them that these things are not completely open. They will always be held up to the lore and story to see if they fit. And if they don't, they will have to undergo modification until they do. This is not in an effort to restrict anyone's creativity. Rather to give them a structured lore to inspire appropriate role play and events.

.Player events vs. Player events.

As with all things, there is cause and effect. Setting up a massive event that inspires change, will always have a reaction. That reaction sometimes is in the form of another Player event, in response to the first. Since the original party had freedom to create a lore friendly event, the other players involved have the freedom to respond to it. So long as this is also lore friendly, it is allowed. Staff do not wish to get involved or drug into disputes regarding this. If you start something in character, finish it in character. Also, be aware that your event will not always draw the response you desired, and keep that in mind at all times.

.Player events vs. Staff events.

Often when a player creates an event, usually large ones, that changes things within the server, it may have a staff response. This could either be to modify it to make it lore friendly, or in reaction to it as we see fit. Never is this an effort to undermine or thwart anyone plans, but instead to do our jobs as staff to keep Hollowworld on its path and to help show players what is and isn't allowed. If the event includes or effects Staff characters, then they have the right to react, either in response or to keep things on track. Keep this in mind when creating events that include or effect Staff and lore.

.The main point.

Overall we want Players to enjoy themselves and express their creativity always. We give them several different ways to do this, and will always be open to discussion about how to make your events lore friendly. There will be no allowance however to change or disregard the base lore. Nor will Players know every detail of our lore planning and some Staff events, because it's part of the surprise or plot twist. Just like reading a book, you are following the story of Altera, and your part is to react to the story in whichever way your character sees fit. There will always be guidelines and boundaries, and as long as you respect those, then your time here on our server should be creative and fun.

ThatIrishMan

The young curmudgeon
If the event includes or effects Staff characters, then they have the right to react, either in response or to keep things on track. Keep this in mind when creating events that include or effect Staff and lore.
I'd like a question answered, should it suit you Mairin and the other staff at large.
Would you agree that by this statement, staff have privilege to cancel any event at any time if they encounter an event that effects there character in a negative way, as they perceive it? The wording of the statement, as well as previous actions made by the staff would suggest this is the case.

-ThatIrishMan

Note:
Considerable time has passed since the staff's rejection of King Oguk's planned revolution, however the arguments made by the staff have caused me and a few other players to decline creating events due to the response that it might have from certain staff members.

Squidziod

Sea Dweller
Staff member
Squidziod
Squidziod
Thank you for taking the time to re-establish the basics. I feel like for some reason, this was greatly needed on the behalf of the server.

Deash12

Coffee Enthusiast

The problem with Oguk's revolution, was that he posted the event/about the event, before the stated date. Which happened to be when Mich was -very- clogged up with another event, something with house August? or along those lines. I know many people, staff and non staff, who would have no problem with creating an event which would negatively effect their character. Look at how many people are joining the, "Discovery of our Era" event, and other various "violent" categorized events. They all know that said event could possible lead to their characters death, if I do remember around thirty people will most likely attend the "Discovery of our Era" Same with Galo Gulch, players know the risk.
As for the larger staff related events, as long as you work it out with the person(s)/staff whose characters might be effected, they have no problem. I mean, Mich thought the revolution would be an awesome opportunity for RP.
But then if an event, is lore breaking, and will negatively affect a certain character, of course it would be either, deleted or changed to the point where it was no longer lore breaking.
Overall, I don't think the staff would do that, because most every player event, or staff add a huge dynamic to RP, as well add yet another story to the world of Altera. :D

mairinbaihn

Jane of all Trades
Retired Staff
Would you agree that by this statement, staff have privilege to cancel any event at any time if they encounter an event that effects there character in a negative way, as they perceive it? The wording of the statement, as well as previous actions made by the staff would suggest this is the case.
The statement was in reference to if you directly involve their character, ie: you attack the Queen so she attacks back. Or during the RP if the event is becoming non-lore friendly they have a right to cancel it or discuss it with you OOCly. Obviously a staff will never react in order to just save his character or anything else OP. Only if it goes against lore will they change or cancel an event. In character they will respond appropriately as staff are role models of good RP and wouldn't abuse it. I'm sorry if your event got canceled before and if you misinterpreted the statement in this post. I hope that helped clear it up! :)

ThatIrishMan

The young curmudgeon
Firstly, Michcat. Just for fairness, and I apologize for not doing so in my original post.

Secondly, I'd like this to be clarified a bit. By your second post, the following statement should be true:

No staff has the privileged to modify or cancel any event for solely the reasons of character interactions. However, Staff do have right to do both in the case that the event directly involves there character and it goes against either there time schedule ( IE there to busy at the moment ) and/or a staff event already in motion or planning, regardless of if it is public or not. Staff also have the right to modify any event or cancel any event that conflicts with the lore in any way, weather that lore be published to the general player base or not.

Is that correct?

Edit: Part of the statement was derived from arguments made by Deash. I understand that those statements where not made by a staff member or Mairin specifically, and that any staff can dispute those arguments.

mairinbaihn

Jane of all Trades
Retired Staff
No staff has the privileged to modify or cancel any event for solely the reasons of character interactions.
This is correct~

However, Staff do have right to do both in the case that the event directly involves there character and it goes against either there time schedule ( IE there to busy at the moment ) and/or a staff event already in motion or planning, regardless of if it is public or not.
Not sure about this statement, or at least how it's being presented. Any event staff or player created, has to take into consideration the real life time constraints (real life being the most important over gaming time). With any event, if it directly involves a character, and that character must be there, then yes it may be moved or rescheduled in order to accommodate. If there is a lore important staff event that conflicts with a player one, it will take precedence, however the staff running it will do everything in their ability to communicate this to the player running their event, and try to help find a suitable time to reschedule. This also is a rare happen stance. Sometimes things just conflict and need to be sorted, and some staff events are for the lore or whole server and may need to take precedence over a private event.

Staff also have the right to modify any event or cancel any event that conflicts with the lore in any way, weather that lore be published to the general player base or not.
This is correct. Some staff events are designed to move the lore forward or the server story and aren't open knowledge to all as they may involve surprises, puzzles designed for players to flush out, or plot twists relating to new lore being introduced or evolved.

Asselin

Noble of Altera
Umm... my alt was Welub an Earthspawn and I understoood that the canceling of Oguk's revolution was because if we attacked the Queen then we would be saying that the Gods were wrong in choosing the Queen. If I'm wrong correct me but this is how I understood it. mairinbaihn ThatIrishMan

Bartooliinii

The Artisan
Patron
Bartooliinii
Bartooliinii
Patron
You couldn't be righter mairin! What a wonderful foothold to base any event on, for new as well as for old players. Thank you, this thread should be on a prominent place in roleplay=organised events section if you would ask me ;)

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Retired Council Member
Umm... my alt was Welub an Earthspawn and I understoood that the canceling of Oguk's revolution was because if we attacked the Queen then we would be saying that the Gods were wrong in choosing the Queen. If I'm wrong correct me but this is how I understood it.

Er, no. Not at all. That might've been the IC explanation...
OOCly we had a convo beforehand, set some stuff up so I could reasonably fit it in without destroying anything else, set a date not to mess up the events and were raving to go.

Then they tried to begin the event riiiight before the other one, a week before planned, essentially plonking them at the same time. I was rather upset by this, and started trying to work out both events somehow running at the same time without mucking anyone up too terribly.
The Server Owners then decided that enough was enough, and canceled the Earthspawns' one for being rude and breaking away from what we originally agreed on.

If you'd like to continue this discussion, I gotta ask you make another thread so we don't muck up this one :)

Frankieba5

Lord of Altera
I couldn't agree more with this thread. Although I strongly believe that people should have the right to make effects on Hollowworld, boundaries are necessary. Staff work for hours on end creating lore and lore, and if I was a staff and an event just canceled that out? I would be pretty :mad:

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
where can i find some of the lore and history of hollowworld?
@SallyRose @Michcat @Schirf

It is a bit all over the place and you are right that the very fact you are asking means we aren't doing our jobs properly to make it easily accessible. This is something that is high on the agenda here at Hollowworld and big changes are coming regarding access to both lore and player guides.