Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Roleplaying For Beginners

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
If you are new to HollowWorld, I would recommend looking at the official Roleplay section in our Survival Guides first. There you can find a quick overview of how roleplay on HollowWorld works, as well rules regarding RP on our server.

This is a guide intended to go into more detail, as well as providing tips and advice not found in the guide mentioned above. Niek's long-winded extension, if you will. This is written by me in my capacity as a player and is not Staff Official.

Hello all! Everyone has to start somewhere, right? We are not born being great roleplayers. We find this wonderful niche and we grow into it, evolving and getting better as we go. There's nothing to worry about if you're new to the experience because everyone starts out as a newbie at some point. What's important is that you know the basics, which is what I'm hoping to do with this guide. Below you will find basics, some already covered in our official Roleplay Survival Guide, and some is my own imparted wisdom.

Sections:

• What Is Roleplay?
  • How Do I Make a Character?
  • Now How Do I Roleplay?
  • Tips, Tricks, and Advice

What is Roleplay?
In its most basic definition, roleplay is simply a set of interactions with others as a persona other than yourself. Believe me, I've gotten strange looks from others when I mention that I'm a roleplayer. It's important to remember that roleplay is a journey of character creation, character development, and storytelling. With written roleplay, it truly is an interactive novel.

You create a character, and with this persona under your control, you go forth into this fictional world and watch tales of adventure, heroism, villainy, love, and war unfold before your very eyes. It is an outlet for improving your writing skills while also interacting in a collaborative setting. It is important to remember that roleplay IS collaborative, which means that there is no main character. Your character has the same potential to fail or succeed as any other encountered. It's one of the factors that make RP so exciting!

How Do I Make A Character?
Before you make a character, you have to remember: 1) This is not Hollywood, 2) This is about character development, 3) This is a character that you need to be able operate, and 4) A bit of realism goes a long way.

What I mean by this is that many folks starting out think that the biggest, most macho, most edgy Edgelord imaginable is going to be a great character to RP. This is a painful experience for you and people interacting with you if you go this route. Unfortunately, this isn't Mad Max and you're not sending a Byronic Hero down the Fury Road. What you see in movies may work in the movies, but this is a character in a roleplay environment that you'll ideally watch change and grow.

Which also means that you should never create a character that is already a master at everything. Backstory is a great tool for getting started. But you shouldn't make Mercutio an expert swordsman at the age of sixteen because he watched his parents be brutally murdered and he vowed to avenge them. Okay, I may be blending the previous point and this point- But you understand. In RP, you need to take these characters and actually interact with other swordsmen, other fighters, to learn these skills. It needs to be roleplayed out and learned in-game to count. The veterans on the server can all attest to the blood, sweat, and tears their characters have dealt with in RP on our server that the training was worth it. Not only does learning skills in RP, instead of backstory, legitimize what your character can do, but it also makes you better as a writer and a roleplayer. But more than just skills, you should never make a character whose backstory is too grand for someone just starting out. Really. Create a character that's low on the totem pole. Want to make a princess? I would recommend talking to players with characters in existing kingdoms. Seeing if any of the nobles have children that need playing. You can't poof a noble into existence out of thin air. Or maybe you'd rather create a physician to heal the masses. His knowledge should be rudimentary at best, and he learns his trade from others, or from research. If you create a character that is overpowered, it truly ruins the experience for everyone involved if you don't go through the appropriate steps in-game.

With that being said, you may want to make Mercutio a cobbler instead of Edgelord McEdgington. His whole passion in life is shoemaking. (This is just an example. I mean, if you want to make a passionate shoemaker, don't let me stop you. But this is just a quick example.~) Anyway. If you say that you're going to make your character this or that, the make sure you have the know-how to back that up. It goes back to the old adage, "Write what you know." Do a little research on shoemaking (Or whatever the subject is) because it'll make things easier for you, and make your character more believable.

And on that same tangent- While this is a Medieval Fantasy Server, it doesn't mean that realism is something to toss aside. Hypothetical Mercutio may be.... say... an elf, but that does not mean he feels no pain, exists without emotion, or goes through his day without sweating. You should always remember what is realistically possible for the character you want to make. Making a believable persona will make others enjoy RPing with your character, and it will make the experience better for you as well.

Check out our
Character Profiles forum for examples of characters already floating around our world. You can also check out some layouts to use for making your new character.

Now How Do I Roleplay?
Emotes and dialogue. The world of an RPer is a world of emotes and dialogue. You've made your character, who for the sake of amusing continuity, is named Mercutio. Now what? With this persona in mind, you go forth, and you RP!

Some basic examples of emotes:

*Mercutio rubs the back of his neck with apprehension. The elf looks around the inn, an uncertainty in his eyes*

*Mercutio ducks as the tankard goes flying, his arms raising to cover his head*

*The elven man turns, the footsteps in the otherwise quiet room drawing his attention*
Emotes are actions. Emotes are what you use to describe what your character is doing. Emotes are you friend. Any time you enter an RP, it's a good idea to emote walking into the area in some way. It lets people know that you're In-Character, or IC. It's usually frowned upon to walk up to a group without emoting first, as that group may not have even know you were there IC. Even if you are trying to be sneaky, maybe eavesdrop In-Character, always emote so people are aware.

Some good examples of making yourself known IC:

*Mercutio presses himself against the wall and leans his head around the corner. He watches the group, listening quietly.*

*Mercutio smiles at the group. He strides over with a polite wave at the gathering*

*Mercutio briefly glances at the group as he walks by them*
But it is also important to not use too many actions in one emote. This isn't a novel with you as the only author. You need to give other players a chance to respond to your emotes. Sometimes, when you put too much into an emote, it can even get into the realm of powergaming, which I'll mention in a bit.

This is an example of an overloaded emote:

*Mercutio enters the inn. He looks around at all the faces for a moment before walking towards the center of the room. He pulls out his hip flask and starts swinging it around, sloshing the contents onto nearby patrons. He laughs manically, corks the flask, and then proceeds to exit the tavern once more*
Yes, this is an absurd example. However, it's accurate. You put too many actions into one emote and you give the others around you no chance to interact. Maybe Ellen, over in the corner, wanted to join in? Maybe Russeau wanted to punch Mercutio for getting a drink on his fancy doublet. Do emotes in pieces to avoid this. As I mentioned above, it gets into the realm of powergaming. Doing something which excludes the possibility for other characters to respond is the essence of powergaming. You definitely want to steer clear that. You may not want anyone to stop your character from strangling Bob, but you need to make sure your emotes aren't powergaming and denying anyone the chance to interfere/react/respond.

Here are some examples of powergaming:

*Mercutio steps forward with grit teeth. He swings the claymore hard towards Benedict's neck, the sword slicing right through.*

*Mercutio steps beside Hamlet with a furtive glance. Mercutio pulls the man's dagger from its sheathe and walks off before Hamlet even knew it was missing*

*Mercutio blocks Claudio's sword. He raises his foot and kicks the man backwards onto the protruding spike behind him*
It's a lot more obvious in combat scenarios, but the emotes above do not give any of the other characters a chance to interact. In one emote, Benedict has been beheaded. Given no chance to duck, dodge, step back. Hamlet's been pick-pocketed in one swift motion. No chance to feel the shift of the dagger, or to notice someone standing beside. And then poor Claudio can't even do anything for invincible Mercutio impaling him. Couldn't even brace himself or avoid the kick. Powergaming can happen in combat or out of it, so it's important make sure you're not setting it up to deny other's their chance to respond. We all want to win, but powergaming is not the answer.~

Another common mistake beginning roleplayers make is metagaming. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes its not. But metagaming is when your character does or knows something that they have no way of legitimately knowing. As with Powergaming, Metagaming is against the rules.

Some examples of metagaming:

-- Looking at the map to see where people are and going there. Especially if your character would not go there otherwise.
-- You know, out of character, that Romeo and Antonio are currently swordfighting. You log in and go there so that Mercutio can intervene and save Antonio.
-- You know that Ophelia is a mage, but Mercutio hasn't found that out IC yet. You start conversations that try to make Ophelia reveal her magic, even though Mercutio doesn't have any reason to ask these magic-related questions of her.
-- As Mercutio's player, you are in chat range to see the bandits talking in their underground lair, but you are not realistically in a place to hear them, and yet spreading the information they're secretly discussing.
Now, with all that being said, actually roleplaying is such a fun experience. Just remember to be mindful of what your character can do. Did your character take their cloak off? Don't forget to emote grabbing it before you leave. Wouldn't want them to lose it! Or what about your character's twisted ankle? Don't forget that they'd have some trouble walking and would need a crutch, or at the very least, a limp.

Tips, Tricks, & Advice

• RP with as many different people as you can! You learn a lot by Roleplaying with different characters and players. If you RP with the same three people everyday, you'll get burnt-out quickly. You'll also miss opportunities to improve because there's always someone out there you can learn from!
  • Challenge your comfort zone! Throwing your character into exciting new scenarios can be a good way to try new things. More of a introvert? Try putting your character into a group setting. See what happens.
  • Try not to log out in an RP area. A lot folks will log out in the middle of an inn. When you do that and log back in, you run the risk of logging in between people in an already existing RP. On that same note, if you log-in and RP is happening around you, leave and re-enter that area. Don't say that your character had been there the whole time, because other characters would have noticed a 6ft forest elf brooding in the otherwise empty inn.~
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some folks have been here for four years. Some more, some less. There are a lot of folks knowledgeable enough to help you if you're not sure how to approach something.
  • Traumatic backstories don't always equal good characters. A trend in people applying for the whitelist is to create very traumatic and violent backstories. It's astoundingly common and overused. "My parents were killed before my eyes by bandits. I vowed revenge. I took up the sword and went down a dark path I could never escape." Or, "My village was burned. My dog was killed. Now I search the world for the man who did it." It's so common that doing something original and with a good amount of thought is more impressive and makes for a more unique character.
  • Minecraft Inventories aren't the same as IC items. You may have went to a crafting table and made iron armor, but that doesn't necessarily mean your character has iron armor. We have an OOC resource gathering world, but IC, certain items need to be gained through RP with a blacksmith, tailor, teacher, etc.
  • You may want an outcome immediately, but sometimes you have to work at it. I know you want a kingdom, but sometimes, you have to work your way up the ladder instead of saying that, "Poof. I have kingdom now."
  • If you don't like your character, you can always make more! Character creation can be half the fun, honestly.
  • Use your whole character's body. Don't forget you can do more than just talk. Make your character more real and more lively by having them do things. Wiping their brow. Sweating. Tapping their leg. Dancing. Making gestures while talking. It's more immersive to try and create a realistic portray of an individual. None of us just sit perfectly still and talk at each other.
  • Try to stay consistent. Injuries moving from one arm to the other is confusing for people who RP with you at different times. Personalities that change will often be equally confusing for one and for others. Work at keeping your characters within a set scope of traits, as well as keeping things the same that normally wouldn't change.
  • Create RP! Sometimes you just want to kick back and react to RP. But I promise you that making RP happen will be worthwhile. Create a scenario for others to react to. If you nothing is happening, don't be afraid to make something happen.
  • IC and OOC Deaths are different. Don't worry! If you're out in the Sorrows, dying there is perfectly fine. It doesn't affect you IC. If you're engaged in an RP and you die in RP, that's an IC death, which means you'll either have a dead character, or you'll throw your character into the revival queue.
  • Make sure you have consent! If you're trying to do anything that is violent and/or potentially fatal, make sure you PM that person first to make sure the direction that RP is fine. The only time it doesn't apply is in a Peaceful region, which bans that type of RP anyway. Or in a Violent region, where entering into the region equals consent. Of course, if you do something violent, it's also fair to assume you consent to violence in turn.
Now- Get out there and start roleplaying!

Last edited:

Arcana

Daedric Prince
Pronouns
She/Her
This is very well done, and I even learned a few things myself and I've almost been here for a year! Ya never stop learning, and thank you for this thread, Niek c:

[Can delete if you need more reserves~]

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
This is very well done, and I even learned a few things myself and I've almost been here for a year! Ya never stop learning, and thank you for this thread, Niek c:

[Can delete if you need more reserves~]
Nah, I only reserved the one. Now I'm curious what you learned! :eek:

Arcana

Daedric Prince
Pronouns
She/Her
Nah, I only reserved the one. Now I'm curious what you learned! :eek:
Well basically-

I'ma put it in a simple way,
I learned things from your simple bits of advice. I'm always a bit shy to RP with new people I haven't really roleplayed with before, but your point on roleplaying with those kinda people and getting character development out of it made me want to get out there and JUST DO IT! Same thing goes for asking questions. I feel shy when I ask questions- sometimes I feel like I'm asking too much. But.. I suppose I've been feeling more confident when asking them questions! And I'm realizing more and more that roleplaying isn't just a game, it's also writing!

Again, thank you for this post, Niek~ :D

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
So are you telling me that having Edgelord McEdgington The III be the only survivor of the brutal double murder of his parents Lord and Lady McEdginton the II by a bandit clan that trained McEdginton (The III) to become an emotionless assassin with multiple personality disorder all via backstory is bad?

No one ever told me this!

*Scraps his plans for his new character*

Last edited:

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Out of curiosity, do you plan on also talking about relationships between characters?
Probably not, as it doesn't feel relevant for a, "How do I RP for the first time," guide. I do recall you writing a relationship guide on the Role playing tips for improvement thread though already. ^.^

Fishymatt

Lord of Altera
  • Use your whole character's body. Don't forget you can do more than just talk. Make your character more real and more lively by having them do things. Wiping their brow. Sweating. Tapping their leg. Dancing. Making gestures while talking. It's more immersive to try and create a realistic portray of an individual. None of us just sit perfectly still and talk at each other.
I might have been paying too many Bethesda games recently.

James_2K1

Villager
Care if I ask if I... Die? (Ran out of "revives"? Do I get a free nickname token and take the role of someone else?

Also if a blacksmith in roleplay makes me a iron sword... How would someone not there know I have that?

I have never really roleplayed before and my god did I laugh at myself today... I felt like a vunerable child surrounded by tall scary people hahaha.

But people on this server seem so... Friendly which fits me well I like to help people but I cannot stand when people ignore you/trash talk you for not knowing something. Good first impressions :)

How will roleplay combat work? It has to end somewhere right? One person has to give up eventually? Hehe but then again thats where "mastering through your character" comes in I suppose.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Care if I ask if I... Die? (Ran out of "revives"? Do I get a free nickname token and take the role of someone else?

Also if a blacksmith in roleplay makes me a iron sword... How would someone not there know I have that?

I have never really roleplayed before and my god did I laugh at myself today... I felt like a vunerable child surrounded by tall scary people hahaha.

But people on this server seem so... Friendly which fits me well I like to help people but I cannot stand when people ignore you/trash talk you for not knowing something. Good first impressions :)

How will roleplay combat work? It has to end somewhere right? One person has to give up eventually? Hehe but then again thats where "mastering through your character" comes in I suppose.
Gonna address this line by line to help make things clear (I don't like confusing people :p)

You unfortunately do not get a free nickname token (to my knowledge) but you would make a new character and start over with their storyline generally speaking.

Someone would know because you'd tell them, we tend to go off the honor system here, you say your character knows/has something and gives how, then you're good.

You'll get used to it with time, ill admit that the server seemed like a very large place that I didn't know where to start when I first began, my reccomendation? Find a town that you like and might work with your character, helps a lot

Indeed, trashtalkers should be shamed and thrown to the Fuush

Generally with roleplay combat, it's done one of two ways:
1:Both players roll on their actions D&D style to determine the outcome of their actions and base the outcome off of that. 1= critical fail, 10=might work around where your expectations were 20=crit success
2:You emote...this takes a LONG time and is usually very tedious and time taking, both players utilize what skills their characters know, but would require OOC knowledge for the player to know what's going on...definitely not recommended for those new to roleplay.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff

Hey there! We try to be a friendly crew and I can honestly say most of our players are more than happy to help new players starting out. Definitely proud of our folks for that, so I'm glad you have good impressions! :D

As for your questions, we'll see if I can answer them. ^_^

If you do die enough times that your character becomes perma-dead, you'll still have to buy the nick change credit. It's only 250 radiants at /warp shophub though, so it's not terribly expensive. If your character dies, you can make a brand new one. :)

And roleplaying can be intimidating sometimes! I've been doing it for... Gosh, about a decade now I guess. I still get nervous, so no biggie. Like I said, I like to think our community is pretty helpful for new players. If you have a question or feel silly, it's fine. Lots of folks can help you find a groove.

As for the combat RP, it's a series of interactions between players. Emoting one character's actions, the other's reaction to such. It's a lot of back and forth. It usually ends when one character can't fight, dies, or they just end up stopping.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Hey there! We try to be a friendly crew and I can honestly say most of our players are more than happy to help new players starting out. Definitely proud of our folks for that, so I'm glad you have good impressions! :D

As for your questions, we'll see if I can answer them. ^_^

If you do die enough times that your character becomes perma-dead, you'll still have to buy the nick change credit. It's only 250 radiants at /warp shophub though, so it's not terribly expensive. If your character dies, you can make a brand new one. :)

And roleplaying can be intimidating sometimes! I've been doing it for... Gosh, about a decade now I guess. I still get nervous, so no biggie. Like I said, I like to think our community is pretty helpful for new players. If you have a question or feel silly, it's fine. Lots of folks can help you find a groove.

As for the combat RP, it's a series of interactions between players. Emoting one character's actions, the other's reaction to such. It's a lot of back and forth. It usually ends when one character can't fight, dies, or they just end up stopping.
sniped~

James_2K1

Villager
Thanks you two! Some good info there.

What do you mean "make a new character" though? Do you mean change nick and skin or is there some kind of command/admin to reset your account? (sorry to ask so much lol)