Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

RP Burnout / Give Me A Character

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
HELP!
I have RP burnout! Advice for fixing that?
I want someone to suggest a new character concept!
I'm struggling to find a character archetype I haven't already done!

I have this thing that I keep toying with making a new character, but it never sticks. I'm always on the server after work, but it's mostly in an OOC capacity because I just don't have a drive to RP anymore. Even when I am RPing, I can tell burnout's coming because I just passively react and don't make any stories happen. It's usually this burnout that leads to character cullings where I get bored and kill off the ones I don't play anymore, but I don't want to do that. (As I really have no one left I want to kill off.)

Anyway. I want to get back into RP and I need a new character. But I don't know how to overcome the burnout and I've no idea for a character to make without getting into the territory of ones I've already done. I feel that if I make a character that has any of these traits, it'll feel like I'm just doing... Niah 2.0 or Aracena 2.0, etc.

Aracena - My Jishrim-cursed schizophrenic librarian. She was a special kind of addled and tortured. Inept at being evil but grew into a real emotionally manipulative bitch in the end. Bust mostly, she was inept at everything except making Athryl miserable. xD Dead now though.
Vera - My Jishrim worshipping failure. Crass, rude, and lacking a lot of common sense. She always needs someone to follow and/or to tell her what to do. Crony/Lackey type. Beggar. Thief. Sort of a lolz/meme character. I don't RP her much right now because I have to be a certain mood for her sort of personality.
Niah - Power-hungry, greedy. Wanted wealth. Had a hard-on for magic. Never satisfied with what she had. Golddigging. Manipulative. Always after more influence. Dead now, though.
Erikor - The tortured soul. Between the murder of his mother, being locked in a slaver's cell and left to starve, and the brutal mutilation of his only friend- Well... Erikor is unkind, unfriendly, and unaffectionate. Quietly does manual labor. He's just not fun to RP anymore, as the only thing he does is sketch his surroundings and grunt half-answers to people that try to speak with him.
Eala - Carefree forest elf. Loves nothing more than hunting and being outside. Chillaxed sort of individual. Out of any character, she's the most content with her lot in life and content gets tiresome to RP after a while.

There were others, but I just didn't click with them, or I don't RP them because the people needed in their story arcs aren't active on those characters.

So all of this novel just to say-

Help. What are some ideas for overcoming RP burnout? What are some character concepts that you'd suggest? I'll RP anything except a combat oriented character because I don't enjoy the amount of technical realism this server seems to use in fights. I generally go to great lengths to avoid it, run away from it, or have my character die almost immediately to end it. So. Character ideas that doesn't involve fighting? Tips for getting into my old characters again?

LiraKitty

Lord of Altera
Hmm, a knowledge thirsty bard/scribe who simply wants to see and experience everything the world has to offer? Think traveling ball of child like curiosity maybe? I honestly don't know what you are into but this seems different from what you have listed.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Butler! Tinkerer! Jeweler! Artist!

Or all of them and become my super butler, I need one!

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
So my best RP experience has been as the child of an already developed family group. If you're really struggling, that might be an idea?

Magiik

Lord of Altera
Perhaps look at how the server currently is. Like, what is it lacking, what's currently in high demand, what is it oversaturated with. Think of a role a character could fill that is desired by others. That solves the potential problem of not getting roleplay.
As for personalities, I'm fairly bad at them. Most of my characters start off with a few defining traits (speech patterns, how they'd react in potential situations, how prideful they are) and then evolve over the first week or two as I run into situations I couldn't have predicted. The big three traits to think of beforehand would be fight or flight, meek or prideful, and intelligence.

Alternatively, look around at existing or starting organizations. Come up with a character to fit into them, organizing with the ones behind it if you need to. They could probably tell you what they're lacking and what would fit in nicely.

I'm afraid I don't have any specific character suggestions. Sorry.

JustTooRadical

Lord of Altera
Go with a fun gimmick, like a philanderer, gynophobe or someone with an obsession. Then, shape your character around it. That's what I do sometimes, and it's fun.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Hmm, a knowledge thirsty bard/scribe who simply wants to see and experience everything the world has to offer? Think traveling ball of child like curiosity maybe? I honestly don't know what you are into but this seems different from what you have listed.
I'd agree with this, but it's honestly 75% of what the server already is.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Ooooh. So many fun suggestions to consider.

#BringmeSeris2016
I'm tryyyyyyying to think about what I can do with her, but it's so hard when she's flat as cardboard. ;-;

*Squints at Kexi*
Muh baby. She's one I'd like to get into, but not many folks online in Kavdu to RP her. :( I had considered aging her, but she'll probably stay at 9 or 10 until Er'een and Kal'tek become active. I don't think Er'een would let her just travel off by herself at that age. xD

Sir Saltington

Lord of Altera
Play a character that yearns for adventure and will do anything he/she think is necessary to be able to have a good adventure. (Even if it is really stupid)
[Insert whatever else here]

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons