Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Revival FAQ & Discussion

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
What happens if the sisterhood all die?
I’ve had the question come up a lot. If people could actively kill the sisterhood. I suppose I’ll just state ‘different things can happen’ if the current sisterhood was not able to do their job. Factors coming into this include the purpose of the sisterhood mechanics, OOC intentions and approval to pursue it, rp pursuits and such.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
PudsNull
PudsNull
Legend
I’ve had the question come up a lot. If people could actively kill the sisterhood. I suppose I’ll just state ‘different things can happen’ if the current sisterhood was not able to do their job. Factors coming into this include the purpose of the sisterhood mechanics, OOC intentions and approval to pursue it, rp pursuits and such.
That's code for "Try it mate, lol"

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Does that mean you have to roll a 1d20 every single day for however long you keep the character, and the memory comes and goes? Or once you roll above a ten, your memory is returned and you have it forever again?

Howis it decided what memories goes? Is that sisterhood staff's discretion and they tell you, or you pick your own memory to lose?

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Does that mean you have to roll a 1d20 every single day for however long you keep the character, and the memory comes and goes? Or once you roll above a ten, your memory is returned and you have it forever again?
You may -
A) /roll 1d20 per day until you get over the DC of 10 to regain that one piece of memory
B) Only roll when you want this piece of memory to be triggered by happenings in roleplay

The memory will return as it was once the DC is passed- it will not blink in and out. Amnesia is not a lasting effect.

Howis it decided what memories goes? Is that sisterhood staff's discretion and they tell you, or you pick your own memory to lose?
You pick your own memory to lose. It can be lighthearted- like how your mom cooked that favorite secret pie recipe. Or very important- like the memory of your sister who left the family's nest a long time ago. I trust folks will want to be creative with this.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
The new changes feel somewhat regressive, in my opinion. Death with (slightly harsher) consequences was introduced for a reason and to undo this change with a fickle lore reasoning seems like a poor choice. The system was already extremely fair to players. I've only ever seen a very small percentage of characters not actually be returned to life as a result of the old system.

Introducing a memory system (that will prove difficult to track/maintain/seems very abusable) seems like an even poorer choice since, as was stated by staff, the memory can be excessively unimportant. You may as well have told players that their character loses a few hairs every time they are brought back to life.

Characters who do not have to fear permanent death will not be role-played properly and I personally believe we'll see a decline in role-play quality as a result of these changes. Nothing will have true consequences anymore, exactly as it used to be. I am not trying to be antagonistic, I am just giving my two cents on the changes.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
It's a fair 2 cents, if not more. To even come to this decision took about a year. There were lot of lore hand changes in trying to even consider it. In the end, it went through as a test run, a temporary thing to see if this helps roleplay and players being more willing to have conflict with each other as it was a major issue for a long time. The consequence of losing ones character due to a roll system, permanently, wasn't appealing to a lot of people who said it was the reason they avoided conflict.

We wanted to see how it goes and see if this helps change mindsets. If roleplay quality does indeed decline, then we'll return to our familiar system.

The_VALKYRIE

Lord of Altera
Legend
The_VALKYRIE
The_VALKYRIE
Legend
Goodness what prompted this change? The old system was good I thought and many people seem to have pointed out the easily aboosed parts in this new system already.

Last edited:

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
There were lot of lore hand changes in trying to even consider it. In the end, it went through as a test run, a temporary thing to see if this helps roleplay and players being more willing to have conflict with each other as it was a major issue for a long time.
We wanted to see how it goes and see if this helps change mindsets. If roleplay quality does indeed decline, then we'll return to our familiar system.
If it’s a test system then it’s likely to be around to run its course regardless of what problems people find in immediate. If it’s not a positive change, presumably it’ll revert.

That said, how long was it going to be tested for? Are you going to make a poll for player opinion to see who is for and against?

CloakedReaper

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Staff
Additionally, will deaths under this new system count towards the rolls of the old system if we revert to it?

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Additionally, will deaths under this new system count towards the rolls of the old system if we revert to it?
Given its a test to see if it has any noticeable effect on player willingness to be freer with consequences, holding the deaths done under this system against players if/when we revert would have a chilling effect on participation and fundamentally sabotage our own experiment. So I imagine it will not.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
I'll confirm any new deaths while this system is in play will not count towards the overall record.

If it’s a test system then it’s likely to be around to run its course regardless of what problems people find in immediate. If it’s not a positive change, presumably it’ll revert.

That said, how long was it going to be tested for? Are you going to make a poll for player opinion to see who is for and against?
We considered giving it about a month, but some systems take a while to jumpstart into play. It'll be around a month or so. A poll is a good idea, but doesn't give a full view of how players feel about it other than 'yes' or 'no'. I am more inclined to see written reviews over time- if that means players want to submit reviews anonymously in a survey option, we can do that.

Last edited:

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Character Name: Lilith Sazil'Hexe
Time since death: Now
Cause of death: A complication in her sparking ritual.
Condition of Corpse: Perfectly intact
Location of Corpse: It remains beneath the surface of the farmhouse in Linlea, within stone carved with a spell from Evelyn.
One Piece of Memory to Forget: She does not lose any memories. Lannis
Same general location- it's now moved to Linlea's crypt isle. Just for the sake of it, the same carved runes are marked on top of the crypt with chalk.

French Roast

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
French_Roast
French_Roast
Obviously I do not know what happened with Lilith exactly so forgive me if this seems instinctive or misinformed, but my immediate reaction upon seeing this is what is the point of this new system if there’s even apparently ways for characters to avoid losing a memory at all? That’s like if a character was able to not have a death counted against them for future revival rolls under the old system, and seems to only further weaken the idea that death carries any weight anymore.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Obviously I do not know what happened with Lilith exactly so forgive me if this seems instinctive or misinformed, but my immediate reaction upon seeing this is what is the point of this new system if there’s even apparently ways for characters to avoid losing a memory at all? That’s like if a character was able to not have a death counted against them for future revival rolls under the old system, and seems to only further weaken the idea that death carries any weight anymore.
It is only because of animancy.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
The new changes feel somewhat regressive, in my opinion. Death with (slightly harsher) consequences was introduced for a reason and to undo this change with a fickle lore reasoning seems like a poor choice. The system was already extremely fair to players. I've only ever seen a very small percentage of characters not actually be returned to life as a result of the old system.

Introducing a memory system (that will prove difficult to track/maintain/seems very abusable) seems like an even poorer choice since, as was stated by staff, the memory can be excessively unimportant. You may as well have told players that their character loses a few hairs every time they are brought back to life.

Characters who do not have to fear permanent death will not be role-played properly and I personally believe we'll see a decline in role-play quality as a result of these changes. Nothing will have true consequences anymore, exactly as it used to be. I am not trying to be antagonistic, I am just giving my two cents on the changes.
I used to think the same but tbh it doesn't matter how the small the chances are, people will be less willing to die and there will be less interesting conflict.