Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Spawn Discussion [Archived]

Tot

Lord of Altera
Frosty
The_Tottot
The_Tottot
Frosty
In my opinion spawn looks great. I don't really understand what the problem with it now is.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
The way Poof said 'every new spawn we create' felt like he meant new maps with new spawn cities. I think the current spawn is utter trash and needs to be redone (or better, nuked off the face of the map), but the location isn't changing.
It's amazing there are any staff who have the motivation to do anything around here with the sort of contributions you give.
a wise man once said 'if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen'
If you think we're all Iron Chef's that pummel through every critique- you've got to open your eyes more. Critique constructively- not break down and say negative things about all the hard work our past staff members have done and have partly left because of little appreciation for it. We've do our work for the playerbase, not to please a single person, or a handful of people- this is for everyone, even ourselves, to have fun with and enjoy. I don't want more discussions to revolve around how much one dislikes our current builds, because that doesn't help me, nor anyone who's helping with spawn right this moment, to move forward. I love our current style and build and I appreciate all the hard work Antilogy, Archbishop and everyone that volunteered helped with for 2-3 months, but the majority of folks wanted things different {thread here}, so this is what we're aiming to do. Let's move forward.

sorry to be the critical whiner here, but every time I'm getting used to the new tavern after we switch spawns, we're already getting a new one.
I hope after this one is made, the very tavern at spawn will be brought to every new spawn we create.
I always thought of the spawn-tavern to be a constant factor where people meet, hate to see it changed up all the time.
But that is just my personal opinion.
(posted that in the wrong thread ^)
To answer your question- I posted a link in the paragraph above. A lot of folks wanted change- and I don't mean 5 or 6 people- Mairin tallied them all and a change to our style won over all. I could very well edit our current tavern to keep its structucture and change the blocks, but that is time consuming- and outsourcing it to the playerbase that wants to help is wonderfully ideal. A change was feasible- it sets us back a while, and I understand the complaints for it once more, but along with the majority request for it and the project head's direction, we'll be sticking with it so that the style stays consistent instead of having all the builds look different. We managed to at least save the current built builds and docks and will give minor edits towards the new style. This map is also going to be with us for a long while- so you'll have plenty of time to get comfortable with it.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
This isn't the "spawn debate" thread so I'm not going to elbow in, but I think that having players contribute to the style and expansion of spawn is an easier way to manage it than having staff try and cater to those that want change by changing it themselves. From what I understand, the build is going to fill up a bit more inside the walls, so it's both a nice way to get players involved in construction and democratic in how improvements are made.

You can check on a player's build and vote for the one you like, whereas that same comfort may not come with just one from staff being made an addition. If you don't like the new styles of builds in contest, then you can make your own to compete in it and hope players agree. That in mind too, some of the builders (ie Cap in his first post) can ask for opinions and alter accordingly.

This is a foundation to what I assume will expand. I'm arrogantly also going to add that I suggested something like this a world ago via constant nagging and complaining. I did it's me I'm the greatest.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Yes it is 0_o or am I reading it wrong? "Spawn discussion thread". Discussion and debate are synonyms no?
Debate has an edge to it, as though you're on opposing sides. A discussion can range from just talking to debate so you are right, but I don't think it was made in mind for us to argue points.

Legendary Fiction

It took a lot to get here
Just so I am on the same page as veteran players are ... this is talking about Storm's Landing, correct? So is the entire thing being redone? The walls and style were the first contest, and now we have the tavern/inn. Will it still be for gryphons? (was there ever a way to incorporate having gryphons at the inn?) Will all the buildings be at the same place they are now? Are all the buildings being redone? Are any new ones being added? (smithy, bakery, etc.) If we are just mostly replacing, are there size constraints? Will the buildings be replaced a few at a time (such as coinciding with the contests) or all at once, after they are built and will be W/E'd in once the new spawn is created?
Was there discussion as to why people don't like the spawn the way it is? Was it due to the materials, or the building placements and layouts? Was it due to the architecture or design of the buildings themselves? Too many of one thing, not enough of another?
I suppose, for me, it looks a bit like an incompleted town, yet it's where most of the ships can port. Is it mainly to be similar to a rest stop, where people (and ships/carts/animals) can pause, rest up, eat, refuel? Or was this to be a proper town? If people are renting houses here, and one can rent a cart or shop to sell goods,
will there also be production shops? What's being run by NPC versus players? Does someone own this town (faction or npc wise or other)? Are some of normal things in towns not at this place because it's not run by anyone, and it's mainly only to be the first stop to getting around?
I guess it doesn't need an actual story to go with it for immersion, and I don't know how much it would mess up economy if there were shops run by NPC's, or if tailor/smith/etc shops were tried and didn't work out at spawn. I do appreciate that it's the first place to go to, and you can make posters there for other places and such, though.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
^

From my constructive critique I mentioned a bit of a clash between layout and materials and stylistic stuff. I have no complaints about staff slowly adopting new things and working through kinks as spawn sortof evolves into something that satisfies more people.

There wasn't any one 'This absolutely has to change' in comparison to a lot of minor things that, totaled up, made me suggest taking some parts right from the top.

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Just so I am on the same page as veteran players are ... this is talking about Storm's Landing, correct? So is the entire thing being redone? The walls and style were the first contest, and now we have the tavern/inn. Will it still be for gryphons? (was there ever a way to incorporate having gryphons at the inn?) Will all the buildings be at the same place they are now? Are all the buildings being redone? Are any new ones being added? (smithy, bakery, etc.) If we are just mostly replacing, are there size constraints? Will the buildings be replaced a few at a time (such as coinciding with the contests) or all at once, after they are built and will be W/E'd in once the new spawn is created?
Yes, this is Storm's Landing.
I'm pretty sure you /don't/ want gryphons at the inn, being as they are violent killing machines.
It seems buildings/walls/sections will slowly be phased out with new ones as people win contests. I'm sure it takes a bit of planning and people working together for these changes to be made, so I wouldn't expect a lot to be changed at a time.

Was there discussion as to why people don't like the spawn the way it is? Was it due to the materials, or the building placements and layouts? Was it due to the architecture or design of the buildings themselves?
There were several discussions, and polls, that related to what people liked and didn't like about spawn. These posts should still be findable in the forums.

I suppose, for me, it looks a bit like an incompleted town, yet it's where most of the ships can port. Is it mainly to be similar to a rest stop, where people (and ships/carts/animals) can pause, rest up, eat, refuel?Or was this to be a proper town? If people are renting houses here, and one can rent a cart or shop to sell goods, will there also be production shops? What's being run by NPC versus players? Does someone own this town (faction or npc wise or other)? Are some of normal things in towns not at this place because it's not run by anyone, and it's mainly only to be the first stop to getting around?
This is correct, Storm's Landing is not a full on town. It's something of a freeport and not owned by any person, group, faction, party, pc, or npc. A place where ships can freely dock, and people can mingle. It sprung up because this was the landing point for many people as they fled the old world.

Legendary Fiction

But there's gryphon stalls! And all this time, I thought maybe we'd have someone who was taming and training them for mounts as opposed to ship riding :)
Sure, 50% chance of being eaten before you reach your destination, but that's the /fun/ part. Maybe? Yes?
(thank you for answering!)

(oh my lord, I want my halfling to be able to train some crazy animal like gryphons when she gets good at it. Bite sized meal with a herd of rideable eagle-cats.)

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
But there's gryphon stalls! And all this time, I thought maybe we'd have someone who was taming and training them for mounts as opposed to ship riding :)
Sure, 50% chance of being eaten before you reach your destination, but that's the /fun/ part. Maybe? Yes?
(thank you for answering!)
Oh, those are horse stalls.. They're just named Gryphon nests, likely because of how often gryphons had been spotted.

Legendary Fiction

*DRATS*
every horse better be from a lineage where the sire was named Gryphon :)

Whoops! Slight derailment. We can get back to discussion now.

I'm gonna see about entering the new contest. The previous one was nice. And thank you, staffpeoples, for giving us a chance to help out / voice / work on things! I'd like to think it keeps us interested as well, because we're involved.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
(Thanks for answering, guys- I'll re-read in case there were any questions unanswered in your post :p)

I spent the weekend fixing the current houses- as Mairin and I agreed/stated we'll be keeping them, but would change them to be similar to the favored style. Anyone who's purchased a house, don't worry- We'll make a post and give decent amount of time before the change occurs (with rp background noise/reasoning for those who live there!). Clock tower walls just need more brick. In the future, with our new (soon-to-be after apps/discussion) spawn oriented staff member, it'll be easier to coordinate volunteer players to build houses/etc/players being able to build their own house- so you don't have to wait for me to build you things. As you can see- walls and towers have been removed.

Please give constructive feedback. Depending on if we've the time- I'll see about fixing more things, if needed.

Also- if you want to build on hilly terrain for the Tavern and enter the contest- please let me or a staff member with WE know, so we can port you over to the edit world here, copy what spot you'd like over to the build contest world- and let you loose. {CONTEST}

Last edited:

rjamesking

Lord of Altera
I'm hoping this is the right thread.

Would it be possible to get a sign for the for road to eisenheim and the shrine? I asked Anti before he left but he didn't get to it.
I don't exactly have a design in mind, and if needed I can buy a dock cart if needed.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
I'm hoping this is the right thread.

Would it be possible to get a sign for the for road to eisenheim and the shrine? I asked Anti before he left but he didn't get to it.
I don't exactly have a design in mind, and if needed I can buy a dock cart if needed.
There's one for Eisenheimn already- just check for the lanterns at the edge of the towns. Shrine doesn't have one- yet