Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Spawn Survey Thread 2 - Ironing out the Bugs [Finished May 1]

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
For warning
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a survey to determine the ultimate sentiment of the playerbase. While the end results of the survey are necessary to determine the direction of the server and spawn, staff will have ultimate say over what actions, if any, are taken in regards to spawn. Please answer completely and honestly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, with that clarified, let's begin. As mentioned in the thread a few days back here, we had a discussion and brainstormed over various ideas as to what the nature of spawn should be. With this survey, we hope to gauge what you, the players, want to see out of spawn.
This vote is entirely based on 'macro' spawns. What this means is that this is essentially a choice between "spawn and no spawn" as well as the size of spawn. The nitty-gritty stuff, like what goes into each spawn, will come later. So, for instance, let's say that you want a small spawn. That's great, but will it be a camp, or a port, or an inn. That will all be decided at a later date.

I have made it so that you cannot see the end results of the survey until such time that everyone has voted and staff moves on to the next level of voting to determine the specifics of spawn. This is so as to dissuade anyone from voting by sheer popularity. I have also configured the vote to be a ranking system. So be sure to fully rank everything, from your most-desired option to your least-desired option.

In this version of the survey, in order to prevent people from voting numerous times, there is a question added in that asks for your IGN/Forum Name. It is required in order to fill out the survey. You cannot use alts, it will be based solely on forum names/IGNs.

If you pick 'Other - Please describe', be sure to comment in this thread with that other idea. Just make sure that it's a macro spawn suggestion and not a micro suggestion, such as what buildings or what type of layout. That comes later.

>>> 1= most desirable, 9= least desirable <<<
>>> Rank from 1 to 9 <<<
Vote here

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I'd love to spread RP out and decrease the amount of people in the X-Roads. Possible randomize the spawn to any random dock master from any approved city.
We eliminated PS for that, which is why we have towns with 5 active people at best and an unsatisfying spawn.

Moved discussion here from the other thread. Naelwyn it's this one.

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
Voted correctly.

My other option is to have the spawn be player and staff built but run autonomously oocly with staff just giving perms for homes rather than the ooc owner also play the ic leader.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Okay, my shitpost was enough. Responding to it seriously makes it not a shitpost. Keep on topic, we need genuine discussion here.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Randomizing the spawn to a random city is a death knell. Nothing is worse than popping into the gameworld alone, we'd bleed new players right back off.

Most player-owned cities do not come close to 100% uptime in RP the way a primary spawn does.

This is also why I am against 'Pick your city', because we have too many of them. This would work just fine if we were a factions server or something with a primary focus on politicsing, but we ain't.

Sizzix

Doge Keeper
Randomizing the spawn to a random city is a death knell. Nothing is worse than popping into the gameworld alone, we'd bleed new players right back off.

Most player-owned cities do not come close to 100% uptime in RP the way a primary spawn does.

This is also why I am against 'Pick your city', because we have too many of them. This would work just fine if we were a factions server or something with a primary focus on politicsing, but we ain't.
This. This. This. This. There are not enough players currently to populate all of the incredible numbers of player made towns that we currently have. New players would end up alone in empty cities more often then not.

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
I honestly hate every option except the large build. The fact that I have to scale the rest to how I feel about them (they are all -20's in my book) is a bit annoying. But oh well.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
I'll point out that given that I'm literally the only resident of the place I've offered Renatus to the server before to take and use instead of building a whole new city or reviving port silver as a spawn and that offer still stands. We laid it out whilst building it so it could work as a new major city with the same range from slums to upper class areas, naturally there's plenty that would need tweaking but it'd still save a ton of work for a new macro spawn. + this way there's already a legit history to the city as well etc

Goldtalon101

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Goldtalon101
Goldtalon101
Mystic
I had a fairly big discussion with Archbishop in teamspeak the other day about this topic, so I thought I'd pop in and give my 2 cents.

The way that I view this discussion is with two major points. The first is the issue of creating "Ghost Towns" and the second issue is creating an empty "Hub".
================================================================================================================================
Issue No.1: "Ghost Towns"

Way back when we had the original Port Silver, the server was active enough to encompass both a "Hub", being Port Silver, whilst also maintaining quite a lot of town RP. This, to me, was one of the best era's on the server. Being able to roleplay with travellers in Port Silver whilst also being able to hop on a boat and travel to a busy town was wonderful.

But in saying that, this would not work in any way in the servers current state. The simple fact is the population is dying and the "peak" times are steadily decreasing. This means by having an active "Hub" town, currently the crossroads, we are removing all aspects of Town RP and unintentionally creating "Ghost Towns".

Why I am saying this is because Town RP is crucial to create atmosphere and drive whatever campaign is happening on the server. But if we were to focus the new spawn point on the hub instead of the towns, we are now neglecting town RP and instead focussing on whatever drama is happening in the towns. This inherently makes the server seem "empty" to new players unless they only roleplay in that Hub.
================================================================================================================================
Issue No.2: "The Empty Hub"

Easily the biggest perk to having the spawn set in the towns is that it creates RP that drives politics and whatever campaign is happening on the server. This, essentially, is the aim of roleplaying. The aim of this server, from a campaign perspective, is t drive the players to accomplish a goal together which could help to create a brand new aspect of the lore.

Town RP is a wonderful thing when the servers population is very large. But as I'm sure you all can tell, right now that is not the case.

If we were to make the spawn point at a town, due to the small player base at the moment, the server would appear empty. You can argue that by making the "Hub" the spawn point it would make the towns empty. Although this is true, by forcing the playerbase to roleplay in one town you inevitably create a one sided server.
TL : DR
Keeping the spawn point as the "Crossroads" is far more beneficial then making it a random town. This is because, with a small player base, town rp makes the server appear too empty to new comers.

The Hub also allows for at least some political RP.

Enjoy my 2 cents

Last edited:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I had a fairly big discussion with Archbishop in teamspeak the other day about this topic, so I thought I'd pop in and give my 2 cents.

The way that I view this discussion is with two major points. The first is the issue of creating "Ghost Towns" and the second issue is creating an empty "Hub".
Issue No.1: "Ghost Towns"

Way back when we had the original Port Silver, the server was active enough to encompass both a "Hub", being Port Silver, whilst also maintaining quite a lot of town RP. This, to me, was one of the best era's on the server. Being able to roleplay with travellers in Port Silver whilst also being able to hop on a boat and travel to a busy town was wonderful.

But in saying that, this would not work in any way in the servers current state. The simple fact is the population is dying and the "peak" times are steadily decreasing. This means by having an active "Hub" town, currently the crossroads, we are removing all aspects of Town RP and unintentionally creating "Ghost Towns".

Why I am saying this is because Town RP is crucial to create atmosphere and drive whatever campaign is happening on the server. But if we were to focus the new spawn point on the hub instead of the towns, we are now neglecting town RP and instead focussing on whatever drama is happening in the towns. This inherently makes the server seem "empty" to new players unless they only roleplay in that Hub.
Issue No.2: "The Empty Hub"

Easily the biggest perk to having the spawn set in the towns is that it creates RP that drives politics and whatever campaign is happening on the server. This, essentially, is the aim of roleplaying. The aim of this server, from a campaign perspective, is t drive the players to accomplish a goal together which could help to create a brand new aspect of the lore.

Town RP is a wonderful thing when the servers population is very large. But as I'm sure you all can tell, right now that is not the case.

If we were to make the spawn point at a town, due to the small player base at the moment, the server would appear empty. You can argue that by making the "Hub" the spawn point it would make the towns empty. Although this is true, by forcing the playerbase to roleplay in one town you inevitably create a one sided server.
TL : DR
Keeping the spawn point as the "Crossroads" is far more beneficial then making it a random town. This is because, with a small player base, town rp makes the server appear too empty to new comers.

The Hub also allows for at least some political RP.

Enjoy my 2 cents
I think we actually agree entirely on the data and implications but have different conclusions towards optimal solutions.

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
I'm not sure where my number three preference comes into it, since it's the describe in thread one, but this will be more of an explanation of what I want. The biggest issue, with any large city as a spawn, a large city being the best option imo, is the lack of players concentrated in the city, and I think this can never be solved unless we have like 500 concurrent players daily. Essentially, in order for this city to truly work, the entire player base almost has to migrate there. There needs to be a lot of people playing nobles, a lot of people playing merchants, a lot of people playing the underclass, all in one place. I think it's the absolute best chance we have for the best political roleplaying, including things like subterfuge and balls, as well as the creation of things like criminal empires which hold court in the poorer parts of the city. Furthermore, it means the blacksmiths, and other craftsman are centralised, and going to a blacksmith for a sword or tool becomes the norm, people will actually work the farms because the tavern they can visit after is just inside the walls. It will essentially make day to day roleplaying way more involved and interesting. I know a lot of people think the single city server is absolutely idiotic, but I think it's go all out, and every player commit, or we won't get the absolute most out of it.