Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Sport] Real Tennis

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty

[Video Here!]

+History+
Real Tennis was a game founded early in the 12th century, played with hand and glove commonly played by monks in monasteries, it involved a game similar to ‘Wallball’ where the ball was hit against a wall, this game later involved into the sport of Real Tennis, and spread like wildfire throughout Europe, in France alone in 1594 there was a confirmed 250 courts in Paris, the game was extremely popular with nobility.

Royal interest in the sport started in England with Henry V, but it was made the biggest impact on the sport, playing the game often in Hampton Court. In France, the sport caught the attention of Francois I who was a promoter and player of the sport, building courts and encouraging play. The first known book on tennis was written during his reign. The game thrived among the 17th century nobility in France, Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands.

+Equipment+
The sport of real tennis was played using two major pieces of equipment, a racket and a large, hard ball;
  • Racket: Like the rackets later used by modern sports, Real Tennis used a hefty, wooden racket with its head having a slight curve it to, using the racket required strength and speed, due to the heavy ball.
  • Ball: The ball of the time was made purely of Cork wood, with a diameter of 2 ½ inches, the cork then covered in a layer of cloth, traditionally white, later balls were painted yellow. Commonly in the game a basket of balls would be on either side of the court, as many balls were lost due to the nature of the game.
  • Leather Glove: The game originally started with the use of a leather game to than, for lack of better terms, ‘smack’ the ball with your hand, however this is no longer used unless you wish to be hardcore (Which I respect, keep living on the edge you rebel.)

+Real Tennis Courts +
Played usually indoors (Though, in later eras of the sport, some were made outdoors) Real Tennis is a sport, due to its noble nature, that drew viewers to come and watch and gamble on. The style changed over the years, however it was kept that the ceilings were high for high shots, with sloping roofs on the right side of the court, usually with viewing rooms with walls on either side for bouncing the ball. However, also on the court in the middle is a dug trench to catch balls when they hit the net, also setting a dangerous trap for the players. Throughout the courts are objects that can instantly grant points to either side such as; Galeries, holes in the back of the wall, Bells, and even breaking a window can grant points.

Last edited:

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty

+Playing in RP+
Starting all this research and building, I was hoping Real Tennis could provide all most.. A RP mini game for people to enjoy, both ICly and OOCly, However, I’ve not had the chance to test it IG yet, so the rules will likely change and be adjusted as it goes, as I know for now, the game will rely heavily on the roll system and your knowledge of your character’s physical strengths and weaknesses, it was not a easy game to play.
+Rules of the Game+
WIP

Last edited:

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Last one claimed right now, you may comment~