Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Standardizing RP Symbols

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
It's come to light that some players (newer arrivals, usually), tend to use symbols other than the generally accepted ones for indicating their RP actions, e.g. the use of -action- vs *action*, or writing their actions in plaintext and speaking in "quotes" like so.

For the sake of simplifying things for players old and new and reducing confusion across the board, the staff has decided to back and enforce the use of one specific set of symbols:

- Asterisks will indicate actions. First-person and third-person actions such as

*I draw my sword*
*draws his sword*
*He draws his sword*

are all fine for the purpose of describing an action, so long as it's inside asterisks.

The rules regarding speaking as a character are looser. Plaintext, aka text without any kind of symbols, is fine. The same goes for putting text in quotes, so long as actions are still indicated with asterisks and aren't left in plaintext.

For emphasising text, use of hyphens and slashes is fine. One can emphasis like -this- or like /this/. Using asterisks for emphasising is poor form and heavily discouraged, as asterisks are meant for actions.

What do we mean by enforcing? Mostly telling people using the wrong set of symbols how we do things, and we hope that our players will do the same when they catch errors.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
For clarification, this is not new. It is simply reiterating standards we have had for a while.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Yeah, we've been using it for 5 years lmao
We'll sometimes get newbies bringing their foreign ways in, doing stuff like:

[New Guy] catfetishist96: he sits down at the table. "How are you"

That don't fly man, that don't fly. Hence the announcement on the accepted method of doing things.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
This is endorsed by staff, am I correct? Because I was just yelled at a couple days ago for my use of hyphens :l

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
This is endorsed by staff, am I correct? Because I was just yelled at a couple days ago for my use of hyphens :l
If you used hyphens for emphasis, we don't care.

If you used hyphens for actions, please stop.

EDIT: "we don't care" as in "that's fine."

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Using asterisks is endorsed by staff. Such as: *Bangs on the door*
Using hyphens is what we're asking people to stop using. Such as: -bangs on door-

You can find more about roleplay notation in the Roleplay survival guide. ^_^

Last edited:

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Using asterisks is endorsed by staff. Such as: *Bangs on the door*
Using hyphens is what we're asking people to stop using. Such as: -bangs on door-

You can find more about roleplay notation in the Roleplay survival guide. ^_^
Yep, that thing that your told to read after joining!

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
I know, but I hope it makes sense why we have this standard?
Not to me, but I try. I've been roleplaying novel style for the 20+ years I've been roleplaying. I've never understood why people use anything to mark action when you can merely use quotation marks for speech. The grammar nazi in me cries when I have to asterisk, it's so... WRONG.

But I try coz I love the server and you guys :heart: