Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Starfall Feedback

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Very anime (Glowing rainbow hair and eyes? Forlorn did it right in giving this stuff to the people who did things wrong/right in different ways, it ended up being only three people to get them. You don't hand that stuff out to everyone. I had to just keep my character standing back and out of the way standing there like an idiot because I didn't want his first roleplay to ruin him with rainbow hair. Yeah, I know it's a single strand and it could probably be cut off, but if you're going to add a 'this effects people, it's a dangerous space thing', make it something like a weird bruise or something under the clothes.)
As Lannis said, you’re entitled to your own opinion, but I feel you’re being quite nitpicky.

There’s no reason to not engage because of the hair effect- as you said, it can be cut off. Your character wouldn’t be ruined by it. Also, the glowing eyes and such were temporary, like many other effects.

Very chaotic (DMs everywhere, the event area was an open mansion with a clear purpose at the end of it, but everything between the start and whatever the end was felt like forced filler, DMs given confetti to toss at you before the real show begins. I get it, context of 'creatures are being weird', but everyone was all over the place and I felt like it could be done better.)
I would disagree with this- the event felt like two back-to-back parts. The first was straightforward; an elemental shows up and starts draining the meteor, and we have a bit of combat with the birds. The second was equally easy to digest, just a series of puzzles. In between, we just had free roam to explore the mansion. Personally, I’m wondering how the mansion (and its relating parts: the puzzles, the loot) fit in with the story, but I await further events for a possible answer.

Lack of descriptive writing and abundance of immersion breaking commentary.
While I didn’t really mind the occasional OOC commentary, I do agree that the descriptions could be improved a bit- both for clarity and just for spicing things up.

Just shutting off magic. Sorry, mages! No exploding the event creatures. Or destroying the crystals. Yeah, I know they could be destroyed without magic, and I know the crystals themselves didn't shut off magic, but taking magic away still seems like a "go at our pace" move done wrong.
This, I feel, is an unreasonable quarrel to have. Magic was only shut off temporarily, albeit it was the duration of the event. “Mundanes” often get slowed or tripped up in large scale events- it seems fair that once in a while, the same will happen to Mages. I can understand that it might be frustrating, but the event didn’t prevent mages from participating altogether- once their harmful effects wore off, they could continue (without magic).

Pros:
It wasn't a cave.
I agree.

Take some time to actually write up meaningful dialogue, ambient descriptions, and heavily enforce not straying from that pack. DMs should keep their OOC commentary to a minimum unless absolutely necessary. Pre-write. There were tons of typos and empty descriptions of things and objects and places. Boring word choice. Write things up that sound write, descriptions to paste into chat when players reach a certain point. Sure I know things change on the fly sometimes but it's not as drastic as you might think. The event would go one way, the way the DMs intend it to, despite player interaction, if they truly want it to. I think they should. Improve your writing and people will enjoy it ten fold.
Again, I agree that the emotes could be better, prewriting would be very beneficial and save time. As for enforcing people to not wander off- I guess I’d sort of agree, since a dude falling into a pit or getting trapped in a box really derails these events.

K I’m tired now

Mitch

Daydreamer
Good
HoboVigilante
HoboVigilante
Good
I want to preface my critique with admitting that I haven’t been consistently active recently, and this was the first event that I have attended in months. I’m still shaking off the rust of RP and developing a new character, and a public campaign event is not the most ideal environment to do either of those things. I’ve also always struggled to engage myself in chaotic scenarios when there’s an abundance of emotes and action, and so I can concede that I did not have much formula for success. Nonetheless, I believe that constructive criticism is important to correct mistakes and proceed in the right direction. Bashing the event is the furthest thing from what I intend to do, as I want to see this campaign prosper and our server activity increase. I also didn’t have the chance to witness the whole event, so this will be founded on what I did observe.

I think that everything was slightly too ambitious for one event. While it might have been logically brainstormed on paper, translating that to the server and executing it properly is challenging in and of itself. The platform that we play on is hellish for that. With so many different components, it probably becomes nearly impossible to ensure that everything you intended to convey is done justice. In the end, this resulted in a lack of understanding and comprehension. Throughout much of the event I found myself uncertain of what was happening (and this is unfortunately echoed by others), because there was just so many things occurring at once and trying (with negligence) to be meaningfully communicated. While I am sure there’s probably planning documents and material that offer explanation, we have to remember that the background information is not revealed to the playerbase and we are left at the mercy of the DMs to relay this. Emotes are the only way that we are able to receive the finer details, and when there is such a clustered flock of them, it’s like trying to interpret gibberish. It seemed like every DM was doing something independent and unrelated to the other, and it was confusing trying to piece all of them together and make sense of the grand scheme.

The simple truth is that everyone cannot be pleased, and I think that is what this event tried to do (applause for that). There was elements of: atmosphere, story and plot, conflict, player involvement, looting, puzzles, character effects, the divine, the arcane, research... the phrase “jack of all trades, master of none” comes to mind. While it targeted every flavour of audience, it did not purposefully concentrate on any of the categories. It’s like how movies are advertised as “action,” “thriller,” “romance,” “comedy,” and so on. It’s acceptable to combine certain genres, but think of how wacky it would be if a film tried to incorporate all of them at once. This is why campaigns have series of individual events, and the opportunity for each demographic to be satisfied with their experience. Choose to focus on atmosphere and story, puzzles and research, conflict and looting - avoid overwhelming yourself and the players. Quality versus quantity. If you can capitalize on a certain brand of event and deliver it flawlessly, it will be more rewarding and memorable. If you want to create an immersive atmosphere and drop some exposition, host an event that is slow, patient and highly descriptive. It allows more thought to go into emotes. Perhaps even announce what category of event it will be on the thread so that participants are aware. If you don’t like CRP and choose not to attend an event centralizing it, then it is your own prerogative and you wait until the next one. If you attend anyways, at least you are aware of what to expect. Note that my use of “you” is not directed to any event host, DM or player in particular. It’s only generalization.

One thing that I was disappointed with was forcing a consequence on the player. My character did not proceed beyond the “black marker” because I was averse to the streak of rainbow hair. It therefore limited my participation in the event. If there was even an opportunity to roll against it, I would have been more willing to continue. Instead, it just gave me a boundary where I knew something unwelcome would happen and there was nothing I could do to rectify this. We did not know whether it would be permanent, or if that was optional. It felt like I had to accept that my character would be affected negatively, or I had to sacrifice my involvement in the event. The same extends to the anti-magic, wherein mages had no way to oppose “you cannot cast spells and your eyes crackle with fantastical lightning.” None of this is satisfying to the participant, and to feel like you are forced into an outcome is counterproductive to freeform RP. There was also mention of “snowflakes,” but there’s no novelty when everyone suffers from the exact same thing. Like Scardrac said, players should “earn” these sorts of things, whether through wise or foolish decisions. There were some characters that developed white veins from delivering Bastion Stones in one of the previous campaigns, and something like that feels unique.

Finally, DMs are meant to represent figures of authority in events. They are supposed to be the liaison between the concept and then adequately bringing it to life. This is plenty of responsibility, and it should be restricted only to those that can do it well. Otherwise, it does the exact opposite. It is nothing short of immersion breaking when a DM does not use proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and then even includes emojis in emotes that should be formal. Lannis demonstrates that jokes can be used to lighten the mood, but it shouldn’t be every second line. Please, take it seriously or it cannot be expected of the players to do the same. Taking away from the enjoyment is very contradictory from what DMs are there to do. I’d like to apologize if this sounds harsh, but it quickly irritated me and I am confident in saying that I am not the only one.

All of this in mind, I look forward to the next event. I am interested in where the campaign will take us, and I wish the best for it. The only thing that I want to do is be useful in improvement. Thank you for organizing the event Kamaoe, and to all of the DMs that contributed.

Jeroxia

We demons of our solemn hour
Good
Good day to you all. As promised, I am going to review yesterday’s event. I will go over every step of the event and the different aspects of it in chronological order. To me this means that I will go over the pre-event, the approach, the Elemental scene, the mansion’s upper floors and everything that comes with it, and lastly the basement. I will do my best to make the feedback comprehensible but if it isn’t please bear with me. So, here goes.

Pre-event:
I am pretty sure I logged in at the first broadcast. I didn’t mind it, but it was a bit weird to me now I think about it. We were asked to gather in SL, from which I assumed we’d travel ICly to the meteor site. I was hyped because DMed travel-RP is great! Then, after Rping in the tavern for a good ten minutes, there was a broadcast about a white streak. I thought, here we go. Now we get to travel and there will be earthquakes and falling meteors everywhere. Then, however, we were asked to just TP to the site. I feel this is a missed opportunity for storytelling and speculation.
Let me explain through example: A horror novel that is just a series of scares and monster attacks is not a good read. Most of the fun comes out of the buildup and the speculation as to what’s going on. Where the impending doom will come from.
This event lacked that due to, I think, instantly being TPed to the site. Don’t be afraid to throw a few little things at us before hitting us with the big one.

Approach:

To the mansion:
The approach began straight after we were Tped. We were told there’s a river and a mansion. The mansion was burning and there were glowing things. “Right, cool. The meteor hit someone’s home. I like that.” But again, things moved very quickly. Since we all didn’t get any RP moving to said mansion, going to the mansion felt rather alien to me. The lack of bridge or path to the front door also raised questions to me. (These might be answered in other events, but I think it’s a tiny plot hole) Why did these people live there at all? Why didn’t they have a path to their door if they had enough money to build a mansion? Why was there no bridge to cross the river?
How would I have solved this if the crossing of the river and the way to the mansion was indeed a plot hole. Easy. You give us a couple of withered poles, and a couple slabs drifted downriver. The crash of the meteor was so severe that even the bridge half a mile from the site collapsed. That’d give a holy shit moment that’d warrant the effects that were next.
What I did like a bout this little section was I think Squidzoid’s post of the wildlife having gotten out of dodge. That told us that the animals knew the meteor was bad and we all know that animals have great instincts. It also foreshadowed the warped animals that were left behind by the healthy ones.

Steps of the mansion:
Then, when the group arrived at the mansion, there were a lot of things going on at once. There were the trees, the meteor, the shards, the side-effects, and our Elemental friend. This left me confused and unsure what we were supposed to do. It was all a bit too close one another.
How does one solve this? Again, some of these things could have been moved to earlier parts of the event that were skipped or glossed over. First, I would have had the wildlife (A swarm of birds or something) come towards us while travelling to the mansion. This would be very foreboding. Then, with the fleeing wildlife out of the way, I would have given us the Emberlarks, or another water-based creature as we crossed the river. The warped water-based creature makes a lot of sense since they don’t really get a chance to flee the scene of the crash. Doing it this way would have freed up our attention to the things that, even though people think it is random, make a lot of sense story-wise. The things that are KEY for events to come. So…

The Elemental scene:
This part saddens me. The storytelling could have been superb if the attention wasn’t so divided. Every event, mini-event and side-event that I have attended has worked up to this scene perfectly, which, for spoiler reasons I won’t explain. But no one paid attention to it.
There were Emberlarks attacking the group while “Ember 2.0” did what I expected from this event: drain the meteor. There was nausea, which made sense. There was the rainbow hair, which made sense. But the Emberlarks should not have been there during this scene. The crystals should not have been there to grab during this scene. If all the attention had been funneled to the Elemental, people wouldn’t have engaged the vines prematurely. The Elemental deserved the attention. The interaction between the Elemental and the meteor is what I assume to be one of the key plot points of this campaign. If it hadn’t been for me by chance attending an unannounced mini-event for two (and a half) people that was in the ranger hall the day prior, even I would not have cared about the Elemental. Icly I ended up trying to tell everyone about what Gerry knows but in the chaos this all went unnoticed.
So, this resulted in Kethron 1v1ing an Elemental that fed on the crystal in the meteor while everyone else was busy with about a hundred other things that were going on. For a key plot point this should be out of the question.
How to fix it: Well. The same way as I suggested before. Make sure to spread out and build up your plot points to this one.

The Mansion:

The vines:
The living vines make a lot of sense, which due to spoilers, I won’t explain. They work with the abandoned mansion idea and serve as a perfect gatekeeper to the second half of the event. This part was good.

The horse:
Why did the horse show up at that point? Everyone was already divided and falling behind. The horse delayed the whole event by about half an hour without telling any story we didn’t already know from the Emberlarks. The horse wasn’t there before. The horse did not need to be there. If the horse was planned, you should have cut it. The horse was bad, sorry.
How to fix: Put the horse in what I describe as the pre-event. There it would have added to the story rather than taking it away from it.

The mansion (Bottom floor):
There seem to be mixed signals on this floor. The mansion was abandoned, yet there were corpses. The corpses, from as far as I managed to gather, weren’t the original inhabitants of the mansion. So, questions are raised. Where are the original inhabitants? Why were these people here? Who were these people? These questions weren’t answered by exploring the bottom floor. However, I won’t write this down as a bad thing. This could perfectly well be foreshadowing for events to come, and this is exactly what I hope it to be. Icly, the corpses did provide a lot of character development for Gerry, so that makes me a happy boy.
The second conflicting message also comes from this exact room. Why did the meteor’s crash corrupt animals and send wildlife away, but not cause these people to haul ass? Why did the meteor crash make a 30? foot crater but didn’t do more than shatter the window of the bottom floor? Why weren’t parts of the vault beneath damaged? (More on this later.)

The mansion (Top floor):
The top floor seemed more of a looting parade than anything else, and that makes me happy on one side and a tad eh on the other. I would have loved to learn more about the people who built this mansion. We found a medallion with the initials RR and I really hope this become relevant but I severely doubt it. The initials, since we didn’t really find anything else, seemed made up on the spot. The things that were left behind, while nice, didn’t make it seem like the home was abandoned on one hand (Who wouldn’t take their indigo perfume? Or their jewelry?) but on the other it did. There were no clothes except a singular sock in one of the drawers. I am really unsure what to make of it and I pray that there’s more to come that has to do with these mysterious people of the mansion.

The Dungeon part:
Right. I will go through this chronologically and try to convey my exact feelings during the sequences.
First thing I noticed about the dungeon was the fact that nothing was damaged despite a meteor striking right beside it. This, I suppose, can be explained by solid foundation and all that, but still.
The second thing I noticed were the pillars in the first room and I was excited. I was like, yay, a puzzle! With Gerry supposedly being the common sense rather than book-smart character, he should be good at this! And so it went. We managed through IC teamwork and lots of fun to solve the puzzle with the directions. This was great! I loved this puzzle.
Then we came to the second part, which was a sort of moving wall puzzle. This one struck me as weird. It was only solvable from one side while the others were locked in a room. I had hoped this puzzle also involved teamwork but it didn’t. This puzzle was solved semi-icly and already felt a bit rushed. (This says more about the players than the DMs but I will point it out nevertheless.)
Here I would have swayed from the chain of puzzles and kept the number game for a later stage. An encounter would have been great here but rather than that, we got another logic puzzle. Here players started to get frustrated and I am pretty sure that if it weren’t for Cukie OOCly managing to solve the puzzle, we would still be there. The immersion here was shattered for me. We were just solving the puzzles and not RPing anymore.
Okay, I thought, maybe NOW we’ll get something that isn’t a puzzle. With a damaged dungeon or burrowing creatures (Think Bulette from 5e or something) an encounter would have dragged everyone back into character. Or storytelling. Storytelling would have been great here. How awesome would it be to find one of the original owners or a bandit who was trying to break in, giving us a bit more backstory. We got none of that. We got a maze. While I OOCLY didn’t mind the maze, I again, was dragged out of character rather quickly. Together with Elz I tried to go about it ICly but since other players were OOCly running ahead and all that, that was thrown out the window at some point. Great maze, bad for RP.
Then- Okay… I thought-… Maybe, just maybe there’s not another puzzle. I was so wrong. The last puzzle was the worst of all. A math puzzle. I thought the DMs were joking but no, we got a math puzzle. To say the same thing as I told Jasper yesterday: yes this was just DM sadism and 0 RP happened during the whole thing. We don’t talk about the math puzzle.
That was the end of the puzzles, thank god, and I was really curious as to what this was leading up to. Was this going to be the big reveal that tied it all together? No, it was a vault filled with gold and things. There were 0 hints as to what this family was and why they abandoned the place but left the gold. There were no notes. There were no items that told any story. (Except maybe the painting but at this point I was so OOC that I forgot to ask about it.) I suppose I should be happy that Gerry ended up with a magical artifact here, but it feels OOCly earned by being good at math and decent at puzzles.
Then we all left and the first IC thing came from a fellow player. It was Podric who stayed upstairs burning corpses who reminded us that we were potentially robbing corpses. It was 3am at this point and I didn’t stay for the roundoff. However, since the DMs also went bed, I doubt something else happened.

In conclusion:
I hope you understand these feelings and don’t feel like I am bashing at all. I genuinely hope there’s going to be some more story coming from this mansion and that we learn who R.R. is and where he/she went without the money in his vault. I also genuinely hope we get a second event much like this one where the attention is properly drawn to the elemental. I have tried to be constructive with my criticism and hope you understand it for I believe many players feel similar to me.
I do want to mention, however, that I really appreciate the amount of effort that clearly went into this build and the writing. I also love the campaign still and will still try to make sure I am at every event. Thank you Dms! Might you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up on Discord or PM me.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Folks, you can not complain about the atmosphere of our event. Why? Because the dungeon was only JUST entered!
You were at the prelude, where folks encountered something with an actual action-effect happenstance, which folks just ran in to.
Yes, you temporarily lost your ability to cast, but folks were all just running into it. That's not lazy writing, but lazy reading.
We made it known there were zones, and I made it known folks shouldnt all run in, yet 9 people all ran into different zones.
I was the only DM available for doing zones, as the others were busy providing the actual action. If you see "huh, those folks have weird things happening.." and then you run up, it is not our fault you get the same effects.

We appreciate any and all feedback, but feedback that gets posted during the first half of an event before it actually gets going isn't very constructive nor warranted. We do of course thank those that were present and provided feedback, and will take their words into account.
You can't criticize an entire event based on the 10 blocks you walked into the Event Region. There was Atmosphere Setting, as well as some unique enemy for the folks that didnt walk up to deal with. But those who stayed behind either went AFK for the remainder of the event or simply ignored everything. If you are not willing to participate, we cannot include you.

As for Eviscism getting nerfed during this event, that is not true. We have just developed a mechanic we figured would be fresh, interesting and fun. Had any other Magic School been present, they would've found similar trouble with their Magic. Additionally, Podric also had to deal with the downsides of this mechanic, so it is neither targeting specifically Eviscism nor Magic.

It was a lot at once, yes, but I dont feel it wasnt as thrown-together as is said by some. Folks saw the meteor and the thing, it was emoted by the DMs, but barely anyone reacted. After a little bit, yes, Emberlarks.
The 'you get closer' emotes WERE flavoured a bit more, the first 4 times I did them. Please understand that I can't keep up if a large group of people (that get sick when they get close) all, and most without emoting, run two range circles deeper into the effect. I froze RP and gave everyone their info. But some didnt pay attention, as some of those who sprinted on ahead then PMd me 'does something happen?'.

The multihorn, yes it may have seemed random for it to show up where it did. But that's not where it showed up. It was at the bottom as a way to ensure those lagging behind not to get into the effect range wouldn't be left standing doing nothing. But they had gone afk, so it looped around.

Not everything we planned went the way we expected it, as can be expected from the first actually big event where we try different things as they were requested during previous campaigns. I get that it felt a bit 'jack of all trades, master of none', but that was partially us trying to find out what was the current interest of the playerbase, as it shifts inbetween campaigns/events. We wanted to try new things and inprove on some old ones, and see what the result and feedback would be.

We'll take the feedback into account and see you all at the next campaign event.

EDIT:
The fact we didnt help with puzzles, was because most players just ran around OOC and then asked for hints. I wasnt there all the time, as some were still outside and I wanted to keep an eye on them as well, but I did see someone roll for a hint.

Last edited:

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Pre-event:
I am pretty sure I logged in at the first broadcast. I didn’t mind it, but it was a bit weird to me now I think about it. We were asked to gather in SL, from which I assumed we’d travel ICly to the meteor site. I was hyped because DMed travel-RP is great! Then, after Rping in the tavern for a good ten minutes, there was a broadcast about a white streak. I thought, here we go. Now we get to travel and there will be earthquakes and falling meteors everywhere. Then, however, we were asked to just TP to the site. I feel this is a missed opportunity for storytelling and speculation.
Let me explain through example: A horror novel that is just a series of scares and monster attacks is not a good read. Most of the fun comes out of the buildup and the speculation as to what’s going on. Where the impending doom will come from.
This event lacked that due to, I think, instantly being TPed to the site. Don’t be afraid to throw a few little things at us before hitting us with the big one.
(I wasn't at the event or didn't participate, so I have no bounds to comment on the content of the event itself. But I saw this bit and wanted to comment very briefly from an OOC event running standpoint. I agree that travel RP can be very, very fun. But big campaign events tend to go on a very long time. Travel RP can be very time consuming, and if time had been spent doing the actual travel there, the event itself would have probably dragged on another hour. I think the choice to TP to sites of interest is something used across most events in the sake of allowing players to use most of the event time to absorb impactful content rather than forcing twenty folks to slowly RP and bog down the progress of moving forward. It is more reasonable for smaller scale events and random happenings, not something scheduled and under a time crunch. )

Scardrac

Felsummer
Folks, you can not complain about the atmosphere of our event. Why? Because the dungeon was only JUST entered!
You were at the prelude, where folks encountered something with an actual action-effect happenstance, which folks just ran in to.
Yes, you temporarily lost your ability to cast, but folks were all just running into it. That's not lazy writing, but lazy reading.
We made it known there were zones, and I made it known folks shouldnt all run in, yet 9 people all ran into different zones.
I was the only DM available for doing zones, as the others were busy providing the actual action. If you see "huh, those folks have weird things happening.." and then you run up, it is not our fault you get the same effects.

We appreciate any and all feedback, but feedback that gets posted during the first half of an event before it actually gets going isn't very constructive nor warranted. We do of course thank those that were present and provided feedback, and will take their words into account.
You can't criticize an entire event based on the 10 blocks you walked into the Event Region. There was Atmosphere Setting, as well as some unique enemy for the folks that didnt walk up to deal with. But those who stayed behind either went AFK for the remainder of the event or simply ignored everything. If you are not willing to participate, we cannot include you.

As for Eviscism getting nerfed during this event, that is not true. We have just developed a mechanic we figured would be fresh, interesting and fun. Had any other Magic School been present, they would've found similar trouble with their Magic. Additionally, Podric also had to deal with the downsides of this mechanic, so it is neither targeting specifically Eviscism nor Magic.

It was a lot at once, yes, but I dont feel it wasnt as thrown-together as is said by some. Folks saw the meteor and the thing, it was emoted by the DMs, but barely anyone reacted. After a little bit, yes, Emberlarks.
The 'you get closer' emotes WERE flavoured a bit more, the first 4 times I did them. Please understand that I can't keep up if a large group of people (that get sick when they get close) all, and most without emoting, run two range circles deeper into the effect. I froze RP and gave everyone their info. But some didnt pay attention, as some of those who sprinted on ahead then PMd me 'does something happen?'.

The multihorn, yes it may have seemed random for it to show up where it did. But that's not where it showed up. It was at the bottom as a way to ensure those lagging behind not to get into the effect range wouldn't be left standing doing nothing. But they had gone afk, so it looped around.

Not everything we planned went the way we expected it, as can be expected from the first actually big event where we try different things as they were requested during previous campaigns. I get that it felt a bit 'jack of all trades, master of none', but that was partially us trying to find out what was the current interest of the playerbase, as it shifts inbetween campaigns/events. We wanted to try new things and inprove on some old ones, and see what the result and feedback would be.

We'll take the feedback into account and see you all at the next campaign event.

EDIT:
The fact we didnt help with puzzles, was because most players just ran around OOC and then asked for hints. I wasnt there all the time, as some were still outside and I wanted to keep an eye on them as well, but I did see someone roll for a hint.
Oh it's my fault LMFAO. "Sorry eventgoers if you didn't like our event then that's on you not us". Oh please.

You're supposed to draw people in to events and make them want to take part. You already have people who would go to any campaign event regardless of whether or not they firmly believe it will be good or not. But some people abstain or leave events based on the quality, and need to be convinced. It's not hard as I literally said and proved in my post. You're boiling your playerbase down to the people who would just go for the fun of it because they don't get much else with their RP. Some people are optimistic but still want to see better. Lots just gave up (where that playerbase go???).

But don't get scared and act like it's my fault lol. The first couple hours are definitely your biggest hours in a campaign event so don't blame me for not wanting to go into an underground dungeon after all that I was showed.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Oh it's my fault LMFAO. "Sorry eventgoers if you didn't like our event then that's on you not us". Oh please.

You're supposed to draw people in to events and make them want to take part. You already have people who would go to any campaign event regardless of whether or not they firmly believe it will be good or not. But some people abstain or leave events based on the quality, and need to be convinced. It's not hard as I literally said and proved in my post. You're boiling your playerbase down to the people who would just go for the fun of it because they don't get much else with their RP. Some people are optimistic but still want to see better. Lots just gave up (where that playerbase go???).

But don't get scared and act like it's my fault lol. The first couple hours are definitely your biggest hours in a campaign event so don't blame me for not wanting to go into an underground dungeon after all that I was showed.
I'm not saying "If you didn't like it, that's on you". I stated that there were some things we still have to iron out, as we weren't sure how all our plans would be received by the playerbase.
We tried to figure out what worked well, and what worked less, as always occurs during the first couple of Campaign Events. There are always some things to improve upon, hence why we have this Feedback Thread.
Similarly, the "you get within range, you get effects" did not last long, so people could have advanced once it ended. We tried to get both groups (the ones advancing and the ones staying back) involved, but that clearly did not pan out for everyone.

Doing a new thing is always finicky as it is a given some will like this, and some will like that. We did our best to take into account the praise and critique of both Incursion and Forlorn, without going the same direction, and we will continue to do so, in tandem with the current critique.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I'm not saying "If you didn't like it, that's on you". I stated that there were some things we still have to iron out, as we weren't sure how all our plans would be received by the playerbase.
We tried to figure out what worked well, and what worked less, as always occurs during the first couple of Campaign Events. There are always some things to improve upon, hence why we have this Feedback Thread.
Similarly, the "you get within range, you get effects" did not last long, so people could have advanced once it ended. We tried to get both groups (the ones advancing and the ones staying back) involved, but that clearly did not pan out for everyone.

Doing a new thing is always finicky as it is a given some will like this, and some will like that. We did our best to take into account the praise and critique of both Incursion and Forlorn, without going the same direction, and we will continue to do so, in tandem with the current critique.
Folks, you can not complain about the atmosphere of our event. Why? Because the dungeon was only JUST entered!...

...That's not lazy writing, but lazy reading.

...it is not our fault you get the same effects.

We appreciate any and all feedback, but feedback that gets posted during the first half of an event before it actually gets going isn't very constructive nor warranted.

You can't criticize an entire event based on the 10 blocks you walked into the Event Region...

...As for Eviscism getting nerfed during this event, that is not true.
Do I look easy to blame to you?

The Cinnaroll

The Cinnamon Roll
Very Sweet
Legend
Retired Staff
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Asirel_Luik
Asirel_Luik
Sweetheart
Take any further arguing over this matter to PMs. This is a thread for feedback and suggestions. Bickering over things beyond that doesn't belong here.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Do I look easy to blame to you?
To clarify, his response was solely for the initial first 3 posts, which were also posted due to emotional first reactions. He intended to post it during the event because of the sudden responses. The takeaway from this is that the team is asking players to allow an event to complete before giving feedback. In the next 12 hours or so, that did occur. I'll concede to not derailing on every wording that's given.

The momentum of this thread is something we've to weave through and sort out the important bits we can work on from. It gives interesting perspective and is appreciated.

Scardrac

Felsummer
To clarify, his response was solely for the initial first 3 posts, which were also posted due to emotional first reactions. He intended to post it during the event because of the sudden responses. The takeaway from this is that the team is asking players to allow an event to complete before giving feedback. In the next 12 hours or so, that did occur. I'll concede to not derailing on every wording that's given.

The momentum of this thread is something we've to weave through and sort out the important bits we can work on from. It gives interesting perspective and is appreciated.
Sorry, but they weren't 'emotional'. I'd stand by my words even now. My big post was an elaboration on my feelings so I still take his words as insulting and targeted and as if he were backed into a corner. You don't see a problem with his monumental shift of blame?

My opinion is worth as much as everyone elses considering I commented on the things I experienced.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
(Oof... I wasn't there for the event, but I must say this. However much some feedback may seem negative and non-constructive, I think the better thing to do is think where they come from. Reading Scardrac 's comments on the event, I must confess it sounds very harsh, but he wouldn't type all of that out if he didn't have some love for campaigns and wants to help you guys in some way. I hope you'll go into dialogue and not say: "You cannot complain" because that sounds like you block off all arguments in favor of.. well.. of what?)
< EDIT: I think there's lot to learn from this video too, please look at it, don't already shove it away. It addresses a lot of points in this here thread. >

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
Sorry, but they weren't 'emotional'. I'd stand by my words even now. My big post was an elaboration on my feelings so I still take his words as insulting and targeted and as if he were backed into a corner. You don't see a problem with his monumental shift of blame?
You can stand by your words and still consider them coming from an emotional view. This is not a bad thing. It shows that you care. However, having a tad bit of awareness that a team that's up for its first server campaign being responded to in that manner during only the first part of their event can be jarring. That should be understandable moving forward.

The response staff posted in turn could have been better, aye.

My opinion is worth as much as everyone elses considering I commented on the things I experienced.
Indeed.

Scardrac

Felsummer
You can stand by your words and still consider them coming from an emotional view. This is not a bad thing. It shows that you care. However, having a tad bit of awareness that a team that's up for its first server campaign being responded to in that manner during only the first part of their event can be jarring. That should be understandable moving forward.

The response staff posted in turn could have been better, aye.

Indeed.
I just want to make it clear that I am not being emotional in the way that I am being irrational. I might be emotional in the way that I feel slighted by an inadequate RP event. I know things could be monumentally improved and I spoke out on it. If being emotional is a good thing, showing that you care, then I hope I invoked an emotional response because hopefully they'll put some care into their next event, too.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
I just want to make it clear that I am not being emotional in the way that I am being irrational. I might be emotional in the way that I feel slighted by an inadequate RP event. I know things could be monumentally improved and I spoke out on it. If being emotional is a good thing, showing that you care, then I hope I invoked an emotional response because hopefully they'll put some care into their next event, too.
I, too, want to clarify that we're responsive to constructive critique and not so much responses that come from a viewpoint that are purely used as negative pushes for change. We've mentioned a few times above that we'll be working on those critiques that players have mentioned and care will indeed be given. We're all here to have some fun, players and DMs included. Your following review did show you put thought into the review and we can all move forward with that in mind.

Kamaoe

The Green One
Legend
Kamaoe
Kamaoe
Legend
I would like to thank those who came forward with constructive criticisms and critiques, it can be difficult to say exactly what you want to over the internet and I appreciate the honest words and reviews. I have read over the comments throughout the day, and will be making adjustment to certain elements of future events.
There are a few things that will not change, however. But they may be softened.
Right now I'm incorporating all this nice feedback into writing, so I will not go into detail here.
I'm fine with almost whatever people choose to post here, as long as we keep it constructive, on topic and do not try to pass blame or shame anyone for what they put here. We're a community and at the end of the day we're all just trying to have fun.
Before I leave off, I accept that I probably didn't do as well as I could have, and apologize to those that felt the event was less than par. To those who enjoyed themselves, I'm very glad to hear it.

Jeroxia

We demons of our solemn hour
Good
I would like to thank those who came forward with constructive criticisms and critiques, it can be difficult to say exactly what you want to over the internet and I appreciate the honest words and reviews. I have read over the comments throughout the day, and will be making adjustment to certain elements of future events.
Right now I'm incorporating all this nice feedback into writing, so I will not go into detail here.
I'm fine with almost whatever people choose to post here, as long as we keep it constructive, on topic and do not try to pass blame or shame anyone for what they put here. We're a community and at the end of the day we're all just trying to have fun.
Before I leave off, I accept that I probably didn't do as well as I could have, and apologize to those that felt the event was less than par. To those who enjoyed themselves, I'm very glad to hear it.
I'm glad to say that despite my criticism I absolutely adored the event still! Thank you Kam.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
I think you’re a fine person whether you do well on this campaign or not!

Dominator046

Lord of Altera
I had fun. I think things were done well. Creative decisions were had that made it unique, and while not everything might've been entirely my style, I was still very much able to enjoy it.

My only suggestion is perhaps to utilize different Chat Channels for different DMs handling different areas. When a party is a part of the main group, use /rp. If a party splits off and is elsewhere, have the DM with them encourage them to use a different channel - one that is closer range or has limited access. I don't know if that's possible, but I think that would solve the Congestion issue up immediately. Maybe have primary narrative elements take place exclusively in Local, so everyone can spot it when they happen, and know to STFU, or at least pay attention to that specifically.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
I had fun. I think things were done well. Creative decisions were had that made it unique, and while not everything might've been entirely my style, I was still very much able to enjoy it.

My only suggestion is perhaps to utilize different Chat Channels for different DMs handling different areas. When a party is a part of the main group, use /rp. If a party splits off and is elsewhere, have the DM with them encourage them to use a different channel - one that is closer range or has limited access. I don't know if that's possible, but I think that would solve the Congestion issue up immediately. Maybe have primary narrative elements take place exclusively in Local, so everyone can spot it when they happen, and know to STFU, or at least pay attention to that specifically.
This would be nice. Putting IC descriptions or emotes in Local isn’t needed I think, because Yell does the same thing, just in an IC chat (local is meant for OOC chatter). We have the ability to create and join custom chats, so I do think utilizing that may be helpful! An example would be when Squid was DMing me and Dom exploring the mansion. It was just us two, so a custom channel would’ve been great.