Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Starting a book club

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
A little less than a year ago, I posted a review of TFiOS (the fault in our stars) and in that thread, I asked if we wanted to start a book club. I guess I never really got around to doing that, so now I think it would be a good time to start one up, since it's about to be summer for a lot of people, and that should free up some time for reading or listening to the book (when you're not having fun on hollow of course).

To join up, fill out this doohickie right here.
Forum name:
Time zone:
Preferred Genre:
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro?

So, how the book club is exactly going to work. One person will choose a book every month, and everyone should go out and get that book. Try to choose books that are not too expensive, but still choose whatever you like. Then, that person will go through the book entirely, and think about some discussion points on the book.

For example, I asked you all to read Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. I would ask a question like, Do you think Sam I Am really had the right to assault the unnamed person that simply did not want to try green eggs and ham?

I think we could host monthly meetings starting sometime this summer, just to get us started. After that, we'll see. Hopefully it's all fun and dandy and we get a great group going. So if you want to join up, please do, I can't wait to read books and help discover meaning!

Current Members: @Depressed_Monkey , @Exclaimer , @Deathmoron , @apollo6000 , @Ouderless Block , @Iteráldi , @Everett Watt , @smurf58105

Planned Summer book: The Goldfinch

Last edited:

JustTooRadical

Lord of Altera
Forum name: Depressed_Monkey
Time zone: GMT/BST
Preferred Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Horror, although I read everything.
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro? Sure.

Last edited:

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
Forum name: Exclaimer
Time zone: Central US Standard
Preferred Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro? Not even Harabro can save me now (yes)

I won't be able to do this for June but I would love to do this.

Deathmoron

Lord of Altera
Forum name: Deathmoron
Time zone: CST
Preferred Genre: Horror; Science Fiction; Historical Fiction
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro? Yes

Last edited:

apollo6000

Lord of Altera
Forum name: apollo6000
Time zone: PST
Preferred Genre: Any at all really
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro? Si

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Forum name: Ouderless Block
Time zone: EST
Preferred Genre:Mystery/sci fi/horror/fantasy.
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro? Of course Bby

[AND TAKE SHOWER YOUR DIRTY SON]

Landem

Lord of Altera
Forum name: Landem
Time zone: AEST
Preferred Genre: Usually fantasy, romance can be cute
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro? You're getting my opinions whether or not you like em, hun.

Last edited:

Everett Watt

Legend of Altera
Forum name: Everett Watt
Time zone: Central
Preferred Genre: High Fantasy
Do you swear that you say the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you Harabro?
As long as I don't have to sign in blood lol

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
Ok, so over the summer, I think that I found a book that would be good for us all. It's fiction, a little horrific, but really it's a realistic fiction book.

Linky to amazon of book

Edit: Link to full book pdf (Not suggesting you download it, but the entire book is there 3.2 gb)

I'll give my summary of the first 20 pages or so.

So a older man, Theo Decker, is reminiscing about his mother, and the day that he lost her. He starts out with a backstory about why he was out of school for the day, he was caught smoking at school with a "friend," and then tells of his travel with his mother to his school, close to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. They are early for the meeting, and his mother is an Art History major, and they go into the museum to see a new exhibit that his mother is very excited about. They enter quickly, almost like they are running away from something horrible, but in reality, they are running into something even worse.

If anyone has trouble getting the book, let me know.

Last edited:

Deathmoron

Lord of Altera
.. Today, I was thinking of getting that book, and I stared at it for a good two minutes and just left it there... Now, I've no money, and too many books on me, that I need to finish reading before I can get a new one.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
For wider membership, consider using freely available PDFs a la Project Gutenberg or its counterparts.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
I thought most of the books in project gutenberg were older books, but I guess I really don't know.

If it's a problem for people to get the book, I'll change it.

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
Forum name:
smurf58105
Time zone:
-7 GMT.
Preferred Genre:
Fantasy, romance (cheesy stuffs), mystery
Mhm.

Meowbeow

Lord of Altera
Has anyone heard of Darren Shan..like Lord Loss, Demon Thief, Hell Heoroes. :( Someone took book number 5 away from me.