Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

State of Events (Q1 2016)

Intro
In case you missed it, two days ago it was announced that I would be filling the vacant events coordinator position. For the past week I have been preparing for the role, and that includes assessing the current state of events. I thought I would share some of that information with you, and have decided to do so in the future four times a year. Consider the following my first statement on the state of events.

Events coordination involves two separate tasks 1) monitoring and encouraging (and when requested, coordinating assistance for) player-led events. 2) Organizing a series of server-run events, which together constitute a campaign. Both of these tasks are, by nature, a team effort. Thus, the coordinator's job is not to do all the work, but to make sure the work gets done. I will address each of the two tasks, plus a small modification to loot. Also buried in my list of things to do is to try to make this job easier for future coordinators by supplying as much useful information and tools as I can compile.

Player Events
Some of you have noted that for the past few months, there have not been many server run events. This is not because previous events coordinators were unqualified or not up to the task, I assure you. Rather, it is because our priorities as a staff team changed. We wanted more player events and less server events, so previous coordinators prioritized the first task over the second.

The results are commendable. There has been a noticeable uptick of player-run events of various types, and in monitoring concepts, I'm pleased to say that there are more coming down the pipeline. I applaud all of you, as well as the previous events coordinators, for such an achievement.

I am going to do everything I can to keep the momentum rolling on the player-event front. This includes providing resources to you all to help you run your events. One idea is to create an "event repository", which will be a community-created list of event ideas as well as a list of recurring events already in action (such as the Noble's Ball). Another idea is to provide guides like "how to host an event" which can include things like getting permission from the region owner, setting a date with a favorable timezone, making a thread on this forums, getting players to come to your event, how to run the event itself, and reviewing the event after completion.

A previous coordinator was working on acting lessons and tryouts, which I think is a wonderful idea. We could turn this into a list of community members willing to play specialized characters for events. This will also be useful for server-run events.

Somewhere along the line, I hope to introduce a functioning events calendar. I suspect we are still a few months away from that, but it is on the radar so I thought I'd let you all know.

Loot
I am also looking into modifications on how loot is distributed at events. I want to work on a system that makes loot more equitable for all parties. I also want to introduce a set of unique mundane items that will become available for events. I'd like to make a loot and rare item repository so that staff know what items are circulating and how items are distributed. It is possible that such loot could become available even at player-run events.

Server Events and Campaigns
The much larger task, and perhaps the elephant in the room, is server events and campaigns. I am happy to announce that staff and council members are assembled to address this very topic, and are thus very much aware that it is again time for server events and campaigns. This task takes a tremendous amount of work, planning, and organization. It cannot properly be done alone, so an events team has been created and are already hard at work to bring you all exciting new content. This team consists of builders, DMs, and actors. The team is growing by the day Of course, the loremaster and the server owner are involved, as they both must approve every move we make to ensure that we conform with lore and with the vision and spirit of this community.

This brings me to one of the joys of this job, which is making fun announcements. A campaign has been approved and is in pre-launch! Some eagle-eyed community members may have noticed a new section in the events forum. There is nothing beyond the name of the campaign posted there... yet. We are finishing up pre-launch in the next few days, so expect to see content there soon!

One of my goals is to help events coordinators in the future, and I plan to do that by documenting as much information as I can. One of the things I plan to compile is a list of server event and campaign ideas. This content will be created by our community members, and I will be providing instructions for submitting your ideas. I want to hear what you have in mind, and I want to hear what players want Hollowworld to be, so I will read and store each and every proposal. It is possible that they can influence (or even be) future events or campaigns. Until such submission instructions are created, you are welcome to share your ideas with me in a private conversation.

Credits
I want to take a moment to thank each and every member of the events team, because this is an incredibly daunting task and they are volunteering to do so much work for us all. I suspect the team will grow in the coming weeks, so I want to thank future members as well. This literally would not be possible without you all, so thank you.

I also want to thank Cherry and Som. They put me through lore bootcamp and I barely made it out alive, but I now feel like I can at least adequately assess whether something conforms with our lore. That is an extremely valuable tool. They also helped me with the campaign proposal, which saw five iterations before it was finalized and lore approved. I suspect Cherry has no more hair left to pull out (which is saying something).

I want to thank all of you, the members of this community, for being so patient and pleasant. It makes it so much easier to provide content and work for you all when you show appreciation and patience. This is an exciting time, and once again none of this would be possible without you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Thanks for all the info bud :D
I just had a thought about the impetus for players to make their own events (or lack of, during staff-led campaigns): I reckon that if you spaced the staff-led campaigns out enough (maybe one or two events a month), it would give more space for people to make their own events in between. I often felt during campaigns that I had no er... 'RP energy' left for player events that I knew OOCly would be not as grand as the campaign ones, but if the campaigns hadn't been so crowded I might have. I dunno. I'm sort of typing as I think...

Last edited:

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
I just had a thought about the impetus for players to make their own events (or lack of, during staff-led campaigns): I reckon that if you spaced the staff-led campaigns out enough (maybe one or two events a month), it would give more space for people to make their own events in between. I often felt during campaigns that I had no er... 'RP energy' left for player events that I knew OOCly would be not as grand as the campaign ones, but if the campaigns hadn't been so crowded I might have. I dunno. I'm sort of typing as a think...
Makes perfect sense to me.

ALSO! Woo, public post makes it real!
I've not been this excited for something in a long time.

I just had a thought about the impetus for players to make their own events (or lack of, during staff-led campaigns): I reckon that if you spaced the staff-led campaigns out enough (maybe one or two events a month), it would give more space for people to make their own events in between. I often felt during campaigns that I had no er... 'RP energy' left for player events that I knew OOCly would be not as grand as the campaign ones, but if the campaigns hadn't been so crowded I might have. I dunno. I'm sort of typing as a think...
You're welcome. I really like your idea of spacing out events. This is right along with our line of thinking. The campaign calls for 1 server event approximately once a month. That leaves plenty of room for player events as well as server events.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
The name "aeon" tickles my tastebuds. Lets see what you can do~

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I've been let down before. I won't be buying my hype tickets for this show until I see it playing in a theater near me.

However that said.

This is shaping up quiet well so far and Aeon is very interesting as it has so many uses and meanings. I look forward to seeing what usage of the word was chosen. :3

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
As a person who was taking a mini-hiatus, I'm insanely glad to come back to something like this.

Thank you, bye!

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
I have a question, and if it was answered within this thread then just chalk it up to me skim-reading:

If some of the main focus is on player events, as you stated that it was and more-or-less will be the main focus; then does that mean that player events will perhaps get some more freedom/power to make things interesting? By this I mean that most player events are things like parties, small adventure trips into the jungle, and tournaments; but will there be any possibility of seeing players able to make events that are more interesting and a bit more in the 'fantasy' bit of the server?

Keep in mind I'm not saying that the current player events aren't interesting, but they're obviously just normal stuff that doesn't always impact a lot of people, and also does not interest certain folks.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
You're welcome. I really like your idea of spacing out events. This is right along with our line of thinking. The campaign calls for 1 server event approximately once a month. That leaves plenty of room for player events as well as server events.
I'm not saying one month is bad (I like it!). However, I used to have some trouble remembering what happened during the last event (and as such I got confused during events). If you space it out a month, could you make sure that after the event an 'action log' is posted public (so we can all read back on what we did and use this knowledge to not do stupid things in the next event (by this I do not mean using the info to meta-game, but as a 'fresh up on what happened' for the next event)?

:D

Edit: Of course I love this new information.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
My character's middle name is Aeondi

Dunno how I feel about this.
I will solve this uncertainty by killing Aeondo or whatever you're saying.

I have a question, and if it was answered within this thread then just chalk it up to me skim-reading:

If some of the main focus is on player events, as you stated that it was and more-or-less will be the main focus; then does that mean that player events will perhaps get some more freedom/power to make things interesting? By this I mean that most player events are things like parties, small adventure trips into the jungle, and tournaments; but will there be any possibility of seeing players able to make events that are more interesting and a bit more in the 'fantasy' bit of the server?

Keep in mind I'm not saying that the current player events aren't interesting, but they're obviously just normal stuff that doesn't always impact a lot of people, and also does not interest certain folks.
This is on our radar. I'm hoping to create an application process that will allow players to submit ideas for what you call "interesting" events. If everything is approved in the application, then yes, "interesting" things could happen. Please keep in mind that there are some lore bits that prevent us (server event or player event) from doing certain things.

I might add that I think there are already some "interesting" events in the works. Players are discovering islands, digging up treasure, stealing ships and fighting navy battles, invading region ruins, and a host of other things. I'd like to provide resources to make it easier for the playerbase to get events like these going.

I'm not saying one month is bad (I like it!). However, I used to have some trouble remembering what happened during the last event (and as such I got confused during events). If you space it out a month, could you make sure that after the event an 'action log' is posted public (so we can all read back on what we did and use this knowledge to not do stupid things in the next event (by this I do not mean using the info to meta-game, but as a 'fresh up on what happened' for the next event)?

:D

Edit: Of course I love this new information.
I like the idea of recaps. I am hoping that there are some player-made recaps and reviews for each of the planned events. If the players don't, I'll be sure that there's a small blurb about each of the events. Great idea!

Azur

Lord of Altera
Lover
Legend
A_Z_U_R
A_Z_U_R
Lover
This is on our radar. I'm hoping to create an application process that will allow players to submit ideas for what you call "interesting" events. If everything is approved in the application, then yes, "interesting" things could happen. Please keep in mind that there are some lore bits that prevent us (server event or player event) from doing certain things.

I might add that I think there are already some "interesting" events in the works. Players are discovering islands, digging up treasure, stealing ships and fighting navy battles, invading region ruins, and a host of other things. I'd like to provide resources to make it easier for the playerbase to get events like these going.
If you read the last line of my post, I too think there are some interesting events that have already been made/are being made. Also I don't get why this post had to put quotation marks around the word interesting so many times; I did not mean to offend you or anyone else if that is the case. I was simply asking a question I know a lot of people would like to know about that wasn't said in the main post.

If you read the last line of my post, I too think there are some interesting events that have already been made/are being made. Also I don't get why this post had to put quotation marks around the word interesting so many times; I did not mean to offend you or anyone else if that is the case. I was simply asking a question I know a lot of people would like to know about that wasn't said in the main post.
Didn't say you weren't. Interesting is a very generic word in general and can have a lot of definitions, so I used quotations around the word because I was using your definition of the word. It wasn't meant to offend, and I wasn't accusing you of offending. Simply a reference.