1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest, Welcome to our Medieval Roleplaying Server, HollowWorld! Get Whitelisted Today and join us! Then check out our Starter Guide made just for you.
  3. Keep up-to-date on the Incursion Campaign!
  4. Here's a guide to the Prestige plugin! Read it here.
  5. To purchase property at Storm's Landing, Please Click Here!
  6. Hey, Guest! Contribute to the Server to keep us Alive!

[Suggestion] Chanting

Discussion in 'Resolved Suggestions' started by Sankera, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

I was wondering if a new RP channel could be added? It just was a little silly idea that came to my mind some time ago and I thought, why not give it a try.

So a channel for: chanting, preaching, story telling, singing. Almost anything that is louder than just speaking but softer then yelling. This would be usefull for priests, preachers, people who are singing etc. etc.

Because it's something inbetween speaking and yelling a 60 block radius would be logical (Speak = 40, yell = 80)
    And whenever I think of something like singing a nice/smooth/beautiful color comes to my mind. Purple or blue, something soft and gentle

A little example of how my main char Sankera could use it
    [Chants] [Elf] Sankera: "Endisti faliti untis ladriris, Rondi nus Fagi nus Lekta nontrias" (Yes heathen language)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Player Love Player Love x 3
  2. Gaby

Gaby Lord of Altera

huh. interesting idea.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Somnastra

Somnastra Puppycat Herder Retired Staff

Character Name:
    Somnastra Elenthalion
    Alt Name:
    Kelta Brinn
    Race:
    Elf
    Mmmm, I wanna be careful of too many chat channels like that. For one thing, we reduced the RP distance and made a seperate /speak channel, and very few people use that. So I worry that this would have too limited of a utility.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. dogbew

dogbew Lord of Altera

Character Name:
    Urza de Rieu
    Alt Name:
    ItsDog
    Race:
    Elf
    In-game Town/City:
    Wolfstadt
    House:
    Wolfstadt
    Few people use speak because its kind of useless, now if you made the speak channel come across as a different color, for say having a speaker at a public event, it would be used more often. Right now its just a smaller distance rp channel, which we have #/ch w
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Gaby

Gaby Lord of Altera

the speak channel looks almost identical to the rp channel...
    what's the primary difference between the two?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Well if speak isn't used that much/not used, why not get rid of it? That way there are less channels to worry about and there is a spot for this one. Think about it, there are a lot of events/summonings/etc. etc.
    So if the priest/host has the option to stand out of the group so people can focus on him/her, well I would really like that and then there won't be any need to yell in local that everybody needs to be silent because the main person talking has quite some attention
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Somnastra

Character Name:
    Somnastra Elenthalion
    Alt Name:
    Kelta Brinn
    Race:
    Elf
    Speak won't be gotten rid of. RP will.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Yeay~!~!
  9. Somnastra

Character Name:
    Somnastra Elenthalion
    Alt Name:
    Kelta Brinn
    Race:
    Elf
    That's not saying I'm convinced of this idea.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Then let's hope school can give me more inspiration to convince you
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RexJen

RexJen Lord of Altera

Character Name:
    H. B. Lane
    Race:
    Human
    I can imagine so many uses for this channel if it was made :p
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Priest at summoning
    Host at an event
    Random preacher
    Master/king of the court
    People who are praying out loud

Random shoreless girl doing heathen things in a house
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

I was wondering, is still considered or are the staff busy with IRL if that's the case sorry for being whiny
  14. Spark

Spark Broken

Character Name:
    Marcello Cesare
    Race:
    Human
    In-game Town/City:
    Wolfstadt
    House:
    Wolfstadt - Cesare Family
    When you think about it in terms of actual distance, it'd be pretty hard to hear someone yelling from 80m away, but it's useful for making you stand out in chat for IC announcements and like...gods trying to be powerful and intimidating. If RP was removed then it makes it so normal conversations can be heard from 40m away....does everyone shout when the speak? Currently if you want to have a conversation with 4 people at a table or something it's easier just to use whisper, but this also means you have to stand awkwardly close.

IMO if anything, RP should be reduced and used for general IC chatter, Speak be used more for speaking to an audience, singing in a moderate volume, telling stories, etc and Yell be used for loud singing, chanting, etc. If you're not within 80 blocks of it, your character probably wouldn't hear it anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Do you suggest of reforming the entire way of IC talking? Mmm *shrugs* last day of vacation it can be fun
  16. Spark

Spark Broken

Character Name:
    Marcello Cesare
    Race:
    Human
    In-game Town/City:
    Wolfstadt
    House:
    ....No? I'm not sure how you got that from what I said but... TL;DR.. Make RP range like 20 blocks, keep speak and yell the same or reduce by 10. That's all I was suggesting. That's only if a change should come, I'm fine with the way things are.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Totally reform, small changes, all the same ;3
  18. Somnastra

Character Name:
    Somnastra Elenthalion
    Alt Name:
    Kelta Brinn
    Race:
    Elf
    I appreciate this suggestion, but it's not really on our list of things to do. It's difficult for me to word why, except that I am not convinced of its utility.

As for modifying the range, currently speak is at 30, actually. (RP is still at 40, although I'd really like some help encouraging people to use speak instead) So it's halfway between your suggestion, Spark, and what Sankera's got listed in the OP. :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Player Love Player Love x 1
  19. Spark

Spark Broken

Character Name:
    Marcello Cesare
    Race:
    Human
    In-game Town/City:
    Wolfstadt
    House:
    That's perfect, I never really knew what speak was to be honest, I just thought it was an unused channel that people used by mistake, I'll definitely use it from now on :D
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Sankera

Sankera Lord of Altera

Ah oki, when I get home from school I'll try to convince you then :D