Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Teamspeak Channels

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Folks,

Staff has decided that there will no longer be password protected house channels in teamspeak. This is due to a variety of reasons, but we hope that it will encourage civil communication between various groups of folks.

Remember to be civil, and keep IC stuff IC.

Thank you for your patience,

Som

EDIT: My main reason for going forward with this was that it seemed as if the locked channels were encouraging folks to ... aggravate the OOC issues for IC reasons, which is the topic of an entirely different thread (http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/more-on-ooc-issues.29636/) which was not terribly successful. We're trying to get you guys to recognize each other as players, not just the characters. When you don't have to consider that they (or someone else) might come into your TS channel while you're ripping them a new one for their IC actions, it compounds the problem.

I'm not trying to censor anyone, as you still have the in-game house channels which are private, and you still have non-HW options for private communication. What I'm trying to get everyone to do is be a little bit more considered in the way that they communicate with other players. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But I will try.

Last edited:

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I don't see the issue with not having locked channels anymore, but some more channels for general chit-chat would be nice :p
I imagine that we'll be massaging the channels a bit, as we see how many channels we need~

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
There's other ways to solve a problem then just removing or erasing fundamentaly good ideas.
Hey, it's part of this whole "let's talk to each other" thing I'm trying to do. I removed barriers among staff. I'm trying to increase communication between staff and players. What's left is player-player communication. You've still got in-game house channels, and those aren't going anywhere.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
As long as houses still have a private area of discussion, either in game or on TeamSpeak, I don't see the problem. You can still plot to take over the world in House Chat!

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
As long as houses still have a private area of discussion, either in game or on TeamSpeak, I don't see the problem. You can still plot to take over the world in House Chat!
;~; But you first need a house for that

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
Would it be possible to allow one person to admistrate their own house channel?

So even if people still can dumb in the channel the adminstrator of the channel can do something.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Would it be possible to allow one person to admistrate their own house channel?

So even if people still can dumb in the channel the adminstrator of the channel can do something.
This was suggested previously, and I'm really not wild about the idea. While most of the leaders of the houses are excellent people with healthy helpings of common sense, it doesn't change the fact that they're generally in that position because they had the cash, not because they were chosen for a moderation position. And we'd have to be consistent with every house, which could get dangerous. So that was really never an option.

*prepares for negative ratings*

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
This was suggested previously, and I'm really not wild about the idea. While most of the leaders of the houses are excellent people with healthy helpings of common sense, it doesn't change the fact that they're generally in that position because they had the cash, not because they were chosen for a moderation position. And we'd have to be consistent with every house, which could get dangerous. So that was really never an option.

*prepares for negative ratings*
Oh, what I was more over at the idea if it was possible to make them moderators/admins for just their channel. But I guess it isn't possible to get so specific?

Also I can see your opinion and I respect it. :D

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Oh, what I was more over at the idea if it was possible to make them moderators/admins for just their channel. But I guess it isn't possible to get so specific?

Also I can see your opinion and I respect it. :D
It's possible, but it's still a moderation position.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
When the method of communication begins to get more controlled, people are just going to use a different medium.
On the contrary, a big part of the reasoning behind unlocking the channels was to lessen the need for staff or indeed anyone to have to patrol whatever's going on in Teamspeak.

This should lessen the need for it to be "controlled".

It's not be opened up so we can eavesdrop or spy on you; it's been opened up so we don't have to feel like we have to.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Alright, never invested to much into TS so I don't know to much about the limits and what not.
*only uses it for karaoke* The only thing TS is good for

Last edited:

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
lessen the need for staff or indeed anyone to have to patrol whatever's going on in Teamspeak.
I really don't understand why that is necessary. These people can quiet easily (and many do) take their conversations to Skype or private TS servers which are easy to rent or set up on your own. If this was done to try and encourage people to use TS more then I don't think it was a good one. I have noticed TS has been very active the last week or two - and you have just fixed something that wasn't broken and this will inevitably drive people back to using other mediums.

I don't get this whole moderation argument. If staff want to moderate TS then a locked channel isn't going to get in their way. If a house wants to partake in private conversations then that should be their right and privilege and I think we would all much prefer them to do it here than somewhere else.

Last edited: