Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Elder Scrolls Online.

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
And the gameplay shows that the art style goes away from the grim elder scrolls series?
Is your definition of the Elder Scrolls series just Skyrim? Elder Scrolls hasn't always been grim.

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion (Especially the Shivering Isles) were all very colourful with varied landscapes.

Sephyrius

Loyal Servant of Altera
Is your definition of the Elder Scrolls series just Skyrim? Elder Scrolls hasn't always been grim.

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion (Especially the Shivering Isles) were all very colourful with varied landscapes.
Morrowind and Skyrim are pretty grim, Oblivion's not, but never gone back to Arena and Daggerfall. It's fine to have both, but when you're showered in purple, red and blue while far inside a cave it just becomes silly, if it's lush farmlands it's fine.

Just hoping that they won't be aping WoW and try something different.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Alright... You startled the witch here.

Firstly, why make a thread about it, if you're just going to say tht you're disappointed about it, and then starts insulting it?

Secondly, it's not just another MMORPG like World of Warcraft, Rift, Guild Wars etc. The Elder Scrolls Online isn't all hotbar tapping, there will be about 5 hotbar spells, it will be first and third person and still have the hack n slash feature like the other Elder Scrolls games.

Thirdly, the graphics might look a litle bit cartoony, if you think that, go have a look at the latest screenshots and videos of the game on www.elderscrollsonline.com

The graphics are not going to look all 'cartoony' like you're stating. Currently they're working with a game engine that isn't theirs. Later on they will port the game over to a new game engine they're making for it.

Before insulting things and people, I'd recommend that you should atleast know what you're talking about first.

Spark

Broken
Sorry for stating an opinion, I'm not a huge fan of these types of games, no need to go all rage mode.

cherbert

Founder
Retired Staff
Sorry for stating an opinion, I'm not a huge fan of these types of games, no need to go all rage mode.
All the more reason why you don't deserve to have an opinion on it. Not all MMORPGS are the same. If you had played them all then I would respect your opinion. But to say it LOOKS just like another MMORPG is just a weak pointless comment and unjust based on a game that isn't even out yet and also unfair toward some very good online games like Guild Wars and Lord of the Rings Online that are NOTHING LIKE World of Warcraft which is a game every non MMORPG lover uses to base their opinion on all MMORPGS and something that really winds me up.

I'm not a huge fan of these types of games
I'm not a big fan of Starcraft but I don't go into their forum trolling and saying 'looks like just another RTS' because I am not qualified to make a valid judgement on it.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Morrowind and Skyrim are pretty grim, Oblivion's not, but never gone back to Arena and Daggerfall. It's fine to have both, but when you're showered in purple, red and blue while far inside a cave it just becomes silly, if it's lush farmlands it's fine.

Just hoping that they won't be aping WoW and try something different.
The graphics for Morrowind were amazing for the time when it came out.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Also the combat is a greatdeal better than most mmorpgs since you dont click or use hotkeys.

Also also. It isnt out yet so wait for more info/a chance to play it.

cherbert

Founder
Retired Staff
The graphics for Morrowind were amazing for the time when it came out.
I have downloaded the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul and its absolutely breathtaking. Its like Morrowind was made just yesterday and is easy comparable with Obvlivion and Skyrim graphics.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
Try Morroblivion. its morrowind in the oblivion engine so sligtly harder to get lost

Spark

Broken
cherbert said:
All the more reason why you don't deserve to have an opinion on it. Not all MMORPGS are the same. If you had played them all then I would respect your opinion. But to say it LOOKS just like another MMORPG is just a weak pointless comment and unjust based on a game that isn't even out yet and also unfair toward some very good online games like Guild Wars and Lord of the Rings Online that are NOTHING LIKE World of Warcraft which is a game every non MMORPG lover uses to base their opinion on all MMORPGS and something that really winds me up.
I have not played all of them but after spending a lot of time on a few, guild wars being one of them I got less and less interested due to the lack of new ideas being implemented. Like most games though, it is hard to think of something fresh that nobody has done before so I understand why that is not a good reason for disliking them. I have only around 2 hours playing time on WoW so I can't give my opinion on that. I understand how my opinion was unjust. I played a small amount of time on Lord of the rings online which I really enjoyed but I then got distracted by other games. I have watched a lot of gameplay of some other games like Star wars the old republic but once I get round to playing them I don't enjoy it like I used to. Basing my opinion on 10 minutes of gameplay was a bit stupid and I doubt i'll be able to make a valid opinion until more gameplay and content is released.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I've been a follower of TES since Morrowind, and have enjoyed the three games I've played of theirs so far immensely.

That being said, from what they have shown so far it does look like every other MMO on the market.

I see odd attacks like a fire whip from a sword, some jump up cloud strike downward motion, and many others in the gameplay video that smack of the same tired abilities they give to spice up combat. I see waiting between attacks, aka cooldowns. I see the return of classes to TES, and from the abilities they seem to give, are the most restrictive I've seen so far from any of the previous TES games. I see the "Megaserver" is simply larger instanced areas instead of one large server like they try to imply with the name. I see very little TES in terms of mechanics and gameplay, and much more generic fantasy MMO.

Now, I've heard that there will be no cooldowns, and the class system barely means anything, and that the controls and combat are just like skyrim, and a great many other things. I hope it's all true. However, anyone who has watched the MMO scene for any length of time will know that companies love to promise the moon, and rarely do they deliver. To be fair, while I've had high hopes for this game, my expectations have remained low since Bethesda themselves couldn't even be bothered to make the game themselves. Generally when you see something like that happen, it's never a good thing.

cherbert

Founder
Retired Staff
Bethesda themselves couldn't even be bothered to make the game themselves. Generally when you see something like that happen, it's never a good thing.
Bethesda ARE making it themselves. Its just a different team.

roopot

The Great Leper
Legend
Retired Staff
I've been a follower of TES since Morrowind, and have enjoyed the three games I've played of theirs so far immensely.

That being said, from what they have shown so far it does look like every other MMO on the market.

I see odd attacks like a fire whip from a sword, some jump up cloud strike downward motion, and many others in the gameplay video that smack of the same tired abilities they give to spice up combat. I see waiting between attacks, aka cooldowns. I see the return of classes to TES, and from the abilities they seem to give, are the most restrictive I've seen so far from any of the previous TES games. I see the "Megaserver" is simply larger instanced areas instead of one large server like they try to imply with the name. I see very little TES in terms of mechanics and gameplay, and much more generic fantasy MMO.

Now, I've heard that there will be no cooldowns, and the class system barely means anything, and that the controls and combat are just like skyrim, and a great many other things. I hope it's all true. However, anyone who has watched the MMO scene for any length of time will know that companies love to promise the moon, and rarely do they deliver. To be fair, while I've had high hopes for this game, my expectations have remained low since Bethesda themselves couldn't even be bothered to make the game themselves. Generally when you see something like that happen, it's never a good thing.
This is why you need to look into it more. The megaserver is a way to access areas with friends easily with a minimum of fuss. It also means that everyone that plays the effects the politicts of clans ect not just on one server of many.

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Jesus Christ...

Bethesda is making the game. Bethesda isn't just one company. It OWNS several games companies. Zenimax is one of them. Zenimax is a games company working for Bethesda Softworks/Studios. They are also the team who develops Elder Scrolls Online.

Also, it seems that no one took my recommendation in act, and went to see the new videos and screenshots of the game. Of course there are spells, of course there are hotbars. It's a freaking MMORPG, people! Can't be THAT hard to understand. Also, go read their FAQ. They've mentioned several places that it won't be hotbar tapping. There will be a few hotbars for a few spells, while they still have the hack n slash feature.

Now, before criticizing their incredible work again, go READ something about the damn game before you speak.

cherbert

Founder
Retired Staff
Of course there are spells, of course there are hotbars. It's a freaking MMORPG, people!
Infuriating isn't it.

I wonder what it is these people expect to be offered up to make a game like this different? Do they want it to come bundled with an adapter to turn their living room into a hollowdeck?

RPG's haven't changed since the dawn of time. RTS's haven't changed since the dawn of time. Why do people keep expecting something groundbreakingly new?