Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Hamlet of Tyranny

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
So sad. I cried for Sil.

For anyone not familiar with this game - this story is no way exaggerated as to what can happen in the game and the personalities of the dwarves, their relationships and their feelings.

cherbert

Founder
Retired Staff
*bump* just because this is my favorite all time DF story based in actual in-game events.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
oh god this story is epic!

But i never really understood dwarf fortress, too old and complicated D:

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
DF isn't that old, it's been gradually updated, last one was on the 12th June 2012. and the last RSS Feed was the 10th; however it was released in October 2002, so it's 10 years old but still stripping and young. The only bit I consider old is the ASCII graphics, but they just add to the enjoyment and can easily be edited through things like the Lazy Newb Pack.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
DF isn't that old, it's been gradually updated, last one was on the 12th June 2012. and the last RSS Feed was the 10th; however it was released in October 2002, so it's 10 years old but still stripping and young. The only bit I consider old is the ASCII graphics, but they just add to the enjoyment and can easily be edited through things like the Lazy Newb Pack.
Actually, the ASCII graphics is one of the calling cards of the game's genre. DF is a roguelike, and as was discussed in another thread, a characteristic of roguelikes is the ASCII or tileset graphics.

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
Actually, the ASCII graphics is one of the calling cards of the game's genre. DF is a roguelike, and as was discussed in another thread, a characteristic of roguelikes is the ASCII or tileset graphics.
Yeah, it is. You gotta love DF for what it does

cherbert

Founder
Retired Staff
Yeah, it is. You gotta love DF for what it does
And it is the ascii graphics that add to the immersion because with the complexity of everything else going on in the game the graphics only add to the immersion and only encourage you to use your imagination more than you normally would.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Love DF, though I can't play ascii. I use Mayday's tileset like most people it seems.

I really wanted to at some point attempt a DF minecraft game, where you start with a crew equal to what you can start with in DF, find a location and start building a fortress. The Expedition leader would direct the jobs, while the other players would stick to whatever role was assigned. Hit some agreed to milestones and then invite more people to join the group like immigrant dwarves.

Sorry, I'm way off topic.

Getting back on track, Hamlet of Tyranny and Boatmurdered were the reasons I got into DF. It's amazing, and I wish Toady could find a way to get paid for working on it so he could do it full time. I would also absolutely love seeing someone turn this story into a fan film on youtube or something.

Bloodwyvern13

Loyal Servant of Altera
That has to be one of my all time favourite Dwarf fortress stories, I mean i've had epic moments, tragedies, forts that have had horrors visited upon them, but nothing quite THAT epic.