Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Myslan language

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
Myslan Culture

((For you Star Wars fans, this is based heavily off of the Mandalorian Culture. Also, because this is a giant wall, I've added spoilers. If you would like the full version of the dictionary, it is in excel format. I currently have it in .ods (OpenDocument Spreadsheet) and .pdf (Adobe Acrobat). Simply PM me (so I don't miss it) and I'll be happy to send it to you.))

As James Fairborne, my alt, speaks Myslan, I thought I'd provide a guide. Here I will provide a list of the most common words and phrases.

The first thing you should be aware of is Myslans do not differentiate between sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, or even step-children, biological children, or adopted children. Secondly, this is a militaristic culture where men and women have equal footing in all affairs. Both men and woman are expected to defend the homestead, whether that's out on a distant battlefield or at home.

Grammar

Karen Traviss said:
The language is very regular. It has no cases; only two forms of the verb and a tense prefix system; and simple rules for creating adjectives out of nouns and verb stems. Spelling and punctuation have optional forms so it's hard to be completely ungrammatical.
Verbs

Infinitives (non-conjugated verbs) end in -ir, -ar, -ur, -or, or -er. Removing the 'r' will produce the stem in most cases.

Sometimes, apostrophes are placed in the words. This , in some accents, indicates a glottal stop. In Myslan, the apostrophe is known as a beten, and can signify breathing, pronunciation, or dropped letters.

The verb cuyir (to be) is often dropped, and assumed. For instance, ni (cuyi) verd, or I (am) a warrior.

To create the negative form of a verb (or in many cases a noun), add n', nu, or nu', or ne depending on ease of pronunciation. Place this at the beginning of the sentence or phrase you are making a negative (see juri example below).

A summary of verb forms using juri (carry).

Ni juri kad: I carry a saber.
Nu'ni juri kad: I don't carry a saber.
Ni ven juri kad: I will carry a saber.
Ni ru juri kad: I carried a saber.
Nu'ni ru juri kad: I didn't carry a saber.
Ke jurir kad: Carry that saber! (Formal.)
Ke'nu jurir kad: Put that saber down! (Literally, "Don't carry that saber!")
Ni tion’juri kad: I carry a saber?

Nouns
There are no gender nouns; they are all neuter. Gender is implied via context, but when clarification is necessary, the adjectives jagyc (male) or dalyc (female) are added.

In most languages, you need to make the verb agree with the subject. This is not necessary in Myslan, as there is only one form.

Plurals are indicated by adding -e (with words that end in consonants), which is pronounced 'ay', and -se (with words that end in vowels), which is pronounced 'say'.

Pronunciation
Myslan is pronounced very similarly to common, with a few exceptions. There is no "f", "x", or "z", although some regions do pronounce "p" almost as ph and "s" as z. Those letters have been added to the Myslan written alphabet to aid the transliteration of foreign words. Occasionally, the pronunciation of "t"s and "d"s are swapped. "T" is the modern form; "d" is archaic. "V" and "w" are also sometimes interchangeable, as are "b" and "v"-another regional variation. "J" is now pronounced as a hard "j" as in joy, but is still heard as "y" in some communities.

The initial "h" in a word is usually aspirated, except in its archaic form in some songs and poems, and "h" is always pronounced when it occurs in the middle of a word.

Important pronunciation notes

-uy: pronounced oo-ee
u: oo
cye: shay
-yc: sh after a vowel
c: k, when it comes before a at the beginning
of a word
c: s, when it comes before other vowels at the
beginning of a word or in the middle of a word
cy: sh or ch

Pronouncing terminal consonants varies in songs. They often become extra syllables. For examples, "tor" becomes "to-rah" and tang becomes "tan-gah" to maintain rhythm and meter.

Dictionary
All capitalized sections in pronunciation represent where to stress the word.
Forward slashes ("/") indicate a separation between terms.

Word: Aay'han
Pronunciation: AY-ye-haan
Meaning: bittersweet perfect moment of mourning and joy - ""remembering and celebrating""

Word: ad / ade
Pronunciation: ahd / AH-day
Meaning: Son, Daughter / Sons, Daughters, Children

Word: Ad'ika (plural: Adike, not adi'kase)
Pronunciation: ah-DEE-kah
Meaning: Little one, son, daughter, of any age. Also used informally with adults, similarly to "lads" or "guys"

Word: Aliit
Pronunciation: ah-LEET
Meaning: Family, kin, clan, tribe, brotherhood, sisterhood... Any immediate or extended family. Blood line and last names ignored. Basically your family and closest friends.

Word: Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Pronunciation: Ah-LEET or-EESH-yah tal-DEEN
Meaning: "Family is more than blood". Myslan saying emphasizing the importance of a father's (mother's) role, and that a (wo)man is judged more by that than his (her) lineage.

Word: Aruetii / Aruetiise / Aruetyc
Pronunciation: ah-roo-AY-tee / ah-roo-ay-TEE-say / AH-roo-eh-TEESH
Meaning: Traitor, foreigner, outsider. The second form is plural, and the third form is the verb form (state of being)

Word: Besbe
Pronunciation: BES-bay
Meaning: Kit (slang), basically whatever gear you take with you into battle.

Word: Beskad
Pronunciation: BESS-kahd
Meaning: Sword

Word: Beskar'gam
Pronunciation: BES-kar-GAM
Meaning: Armor (often shortened to Beskar, which just means iron)

Word: Buir
Pronunciation: boo-EER
Meaning: Mother, Father

Word: Buy'ce
Pronunciation: BOO-shay
Meaning: Helmet

Word: Chakaar / Chakaaryc
Pronunciation: chah-KAR / chah-KAR-eesh
Meaning: Corpse robber, thief, petty criminal -- general term of abuse / verb form

Word: Cin vhetin
Pronunciation: SEEN-fett-EEN
Meaning: Fresh start, clean slate -- literally translated: "White field". The Myslan idea of erasing a persons past when they become Myslan, only to be judged on what they do from that point forwards.

Word: Dar
Pronunciation: Dahr
Meaning: Gone, temporary, no longer

Word: Darasuum
Pronunciation: da-RAH-soom
Meaning: eternal

Word: Dar'buir
Pronunciation: DAR-boo-EER
Meaning: No longer a parent (parental divorce by child, saying "you're no longer my father/mother")

Word: Dar'mysla
Pronunciation: dar-MY-sluh
Meaning: The state of not being Myslan -- not an outsider, but one who has lost his heritage, and therefore his identity and soul. Regarded with absolute dread.

Word: di'kut / di'kutla
Pronunciation: dee-KOOT / dee-KOOT-lah
Meaning: Idiot, useless individual, waste of space (literally, someone who forgets to put their pants on) / adjective form. (similar to saying "That stupid <object here>!"

Word: Gett'se
Pronunciation: GET-say
Meaning: Courage, nerve, also nuts (generic).

Word: Haat, ijaa, haa'it
Pronunciation: Haht, i-JAH, hah-EET
Meaning: Truth, Honor, Vision -- words used to seal a pact

Word: Hut'uun
Pronunciation: hoo-TOON
Meaning: Coward (worst possible insult)

Word: Ika
Pronunciation: EEH-kah
Meaning: Diminutive suffix written as 'ika -- added to a name to indicate familiarity (you must be very close to the person to be able to do this. Similar to a mixture of -chan, -san, and -kun in Japanese. Can be used for anyone from a close friend to a spouse. Example: N'ika -- Little Naela @ad245. Unlike most languages, calling someone "little" in this context is not an insult, but more of an identification of their being Myslan, as well as the relationship you have with them.

Word: Mhi solus tome, mhi solus dar'tome, mhi me'dinui an, mhi ba'juri verde.
Pronunciation: Mee SOH-loos TOH-may, Mee SOH-loos Dar-TOH-may, Mee med-IN-oo-ee ahn, mee bah-jur-EEH VAIR-day
Meaning: Literally: We are one when together, we are one when parted, we will share all, we will raise warriors.

Word: Myslokar / Myslokarla
Pronunciation: Myzlo-KAR / Myzlo-KAR-lah
Meaning: The "right stuff", a blend of aggression, tenacity, loyalty, and lust for life. / Verb form of possession. Having the "right stuff" / Note, "there is no Myslan word for hero", because what many cultures would consider the qualities of a hero are a requirement for all Myslans.

Word: Ni kyr'tayl gai sa'ad.
Pronunciation: Nee keer-TAIL guy sah-ADD
Meaning: Adoption vow. Literally: I know your name as my child.

Word: Osik
Pronunciation: OH-sik
Meaning: dung (impolite)

Word: Shabiir / Shabla
Pronunciation: sha-BEER / SHAH-bla
Meaning: Screw up (verb) / Screwed up (adjective)

Word: Shabuir
Pronunciation: SHAH-boo-EER
Meaning: Extreme insult - "jerk", but much stronger

Word: Shebs
Pronunciation: shebs
Meaning: Backside, rear, buttocks, (also rear of building, etc.)

Word: Usen'ye!
Pronunciation: oo-SEN-yeh
Meaning: Go away! (same root as Osik)

Word: Vod
Pronunciation: vohd
Meaning: Brother, Sister, Comrade, "mate" (British)

Songs and Music

((Here I will be adding the songs of the culture. Some are taken directly from the Mandalorian culture with adapted lyrics for changing it into Myslan. Others are taken from other sources. I will be including videos of each of the songs to provide readers with the chance to know what the songs sound like. Keep in mind, these are rough translations! Some meaning may be lost!))

Karen Traviss said:
While singing the lyrics, performers of [these songs] would first drum the layered rhythms of the music on their own bodies with their fists, before turning to beat the complex tempo on the body of the individual next to them, specifically striking the chest and back. These dances required stamina, timing, and trust in the individuals that surrounded a performer; the rhythmic strikes were imbued with notable force, and to turn too quickly or too late was to risk sustaining an injuring blow, especially to the head or face. [These songs were] typically performed while wearing armor, which softened blows and shielded the performer's body, but was also done in plain clothes on occasion. It was believed that... performing the complex rhythms with a group of comrades helped to sharpen the mind and taught cooperative coordination. A number of soldiers—both [Myslans] and outsiders alike—found [these songs] to be an exciting exercise, and felt that they drew strength and courage from the act of performing the ritual dance; to outsiders, it was a fearsome display of discipline and reflex that served to warn an enemy of the power of the force that opposed them.
Dha Werda Verda
Rage of the Shadow Warriors

Myslan
Taung sa rang broka Myslo'ade ka'rta.
Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu,
Mysla'yaim kandosii adu.
Duum motir ca'tra nau tracinya.
Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a.

Kom'rk tsad droten troch nyn ures adenn.
Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu,
Mysla'yaim kandosii adu.
Duum motir ca'tra nau tracinya.

Basic
The ash of the Taung beats strong within the Myslans' heart.
We are the rage of The Warriors of the Shadow,
The first noble sons of Myslo.
Let all those who stand before us light the night sky in flame.
Our vengeance burns brighter still.

The gauntlet of Mys'alor strikes without mercy.
We are the rage of The Warriors of the Shadow,
The first noble sons of Myslo.
Let all those who stand before us light the night sky in flame.

Vode An
Brothers All
Myslan
Kote!
Kandosii sa ka'rta, Vode an.
Mysalore a'den mhi, Vode an.
Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome.
Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

Kandosii sa ka'rta, Vode an.
Mysalore a'den mhi, Vode an.
Bal...
Motir ca'tra nau tracinya.
Aruetyc talyc runi'la solus cet o'r.
Aruetyc talyc runi'la trattok'o.
Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an!

Basic
Glory!
One indomitable heart, Brothers all.
We, the wrath of Mys'alor, Brothers all.
And glory, eternal glory,
We shall bear its weight together.
Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers all.

One indomitable heart, Brothers all.
We, the wrath of Mys'alor, Brothers all.
And...
Those who stand before us light the night sky in flame.
Every last traitorous soul shall kneel.
Every last traitorous soul shall fall.
Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers all!

Gra'tua Cuun
Our Vengeance

Myslan
Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a. Taung!

Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o'r prudii an.

Motir ca’tra nau tracinya.
Gra’tua cuun hett su dralshy’a.
Aruetyc runi'la solus cet o’r.

Motir ca’tra nau tracinya.
Gra’tua cuun hett su dralshy’a.
Aruetyc runi'la trattok’o.

Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an!

Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a. Taung!

Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso’ran kando a tome.
Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

Basic
Our vengeance burns brighter still. Taung!

Every last traitorous soul shall kneel in our shadow.

Every last traitorous soul shall kneel.

Every last traitorous soul shall fall.

Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers All!

Our vengeance burns brighter still. Taung!

And glory, eternal glory, We shall bear its weight together.
Forged like the saber in the fires of death, Brothers All.

Last edited:

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
I believe that languages that more then a number of people speak are fine, Like Engem , but Im not so sure about just 1 person.

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
I'm also teaching people this language ICly -- Tybalt being one of them, as well as Naela, Lunasa, and Vicky. Other people can learn this language as well, but atm, it seems that Lavoyard has greater access to it than Marr or independent factions. And, I'm trying to make a habit of using it more conversationally, so just ask in rp if you hear it.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
If you could speak with our lore folks before just plopping a language down and using it IC, I would really appreciate it.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Eehhh

Cultures can technically mock up their own languages, but folks would really be better off calling this a "code" or something- full fledged languages don't just pop outta nowhere. Communicating fluently in an entirely new language takes that language having history, so people can innately learn it.

Maybe I'm just picky, but I'd feel a lot better if this was classified more as a "cipher" or a "code" ^^;

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
Eehhh

Cultures can technically mock up their own languages, but folks would really be better off calling this a "code" or something- full fledged languages don't just pop outta nowhere. Communicating fluently in an entirely new language takes that language having history, so people can innately learn it.

Maybe I'm just picky, but I'd feel a lot better if this was classified more as a "cipher" or a "code" ^^;
I'll consider that. But, if anything, the history of this language is written out in his backstory.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
I'll consider that. But, if anything, the history of this language is written out in his backstory.
That's why I would have liked you to at least approach the lore folks. That implies something in the world that is not being RPed, and THAT requires lore approval.

HogoShi_Kitsune

Lord of Altera
Legend
HogoShi_Kitsune
HogoShi_Kitsune
Legend
That's why I would have liked you to at least approach the lore folks. That implies something in the world that is not being RPed, and THAT requires lore approval.
My apologies. Shall I go contact them now or is it too late for that?