Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Norvägen - Q&A

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
It is done.

YEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWW!!!
YEEEEHAWWWW.gif

Now I've got that out of my system...

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the Norvägen here!

If you have not yet located it, happy birthday! Here is a link:

Click!

I will try to answer all questions as soon as I can, and will be archiving them in the post below for ease of access later on.

*Obligatory Addendum - If you happen to spot any spelling errors, weird sentencing, unfinished fragments or any other joyous mistakes and whoopsies anywhere on the lore, please do let me know!

Last edited:

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
+Q&A ARCHIVE
Just wondering why the culture is forced to have allegiance to Lonmar. I mean, I understand but I don't see why it can't be an open culture for northerners alike.
RPly, the culture are not the only northern folk, but shedloads of historical events render the loyalty to the House and the name of the culture almost synonymous. It does not mean your character automatically runs around at the every behest of the Lonmar family, but it's kind of a given that you would live in those territories since 80% of the remaining Norvägen were from Stormhold and the surrounding territories in the old world.

OOCly, it's mainly just ease of co-ordination, simply enough. The Norvägen do not get on with the idea of harming their own blood, see.

I am, of course, open to odd exceptions, if sufficient effort is put into explaining them to me.

For example, a Norväg may have fled Stormhold soon after Draco's abdication, expecting the wrath of the Crown. They would have travelled through the Exodus portal sooner, and be reluctant to go back North to face the people they abandoned. Otherwise, a character may have Norvägen heritage, but be raised elsewhere in the North etc. etc.

The possibilities are endless~!
+
So what exactly were you smoking while you typed all 6000 or so words of that?
+
Question One: Social attitudes towards other races/cultures?
I'll write full specifics up in the lore at some point but (in general) dwarves and other northern cultures/people are warmed to more so than elves, halflings and all the other jolly southern folk.

But, in a nutshell:
+ Peasants have a healthy human amount of distrust toward other races, with older, more conservative members carrying more old prejudices than the newer generations. Usually this is not acted upon, however.

+ "Nobles", for want of a better word, are reasonably neutral towards all. They will be far less inclined to lean toward such bias, excepting in the case of magic-users, which is a reaaal point of contention no matter the race/culture.

+ Southerners are wusses. There do exist certain lingering archetypes about southerners, but not enough to prevent good relations.

+ Dwarves/other northerners are usually the most favoured "outsiders" due to old political connections, long-standing good terms, and similar ideologies.

+ Greylings, earthspawn and moor elves are less trusted by both, due to past Queen Grief shenanigannery (yes, this is a thing now).
+
Question Two: Any other Norvagen houses, or only Lonmar, and if so, why?
Nope. Again, if anyone desperately wants to negotiate on this, I'm always open to discussion.

RPly, it's just how history happened to work out. Lonmar sort of popped up at the right time to protect them, and in return the Norvägen repaid them loyalty that's... somewhat legendary.

OOCly, it's easier to keep a denser spread of players for the sake of activity, community and funsies. Same reason only one of our cities is actually going to be used as their "home".
+
To the others on Altera, were the Norvägen always there, or do they come from elsewhere?
Well, in-game, northern/norse/viking-esque faction has pretty much always existed in RP since the Cataclysm, but (though their version of history is somewhat unreliable) they were likely an array of various Northern clans who slowly came together and built up a real civilisation.

Their histories reckon that, in the Age of Light, there was actually another, former civilisation; perfection in the form of neutrality, before magic brought the Fading, and bad things happened, causing this divide of the clans. In reality though, it could well have been wars, natural disasters, plagues, or whatever legends would effectively translate to "then dragons happened". It is all uncertain.

Now, I would say (and I think this is the case, @Naelwyn ?) that they have always been there RPly, it's just that OOCly I've given that group a fancy name that now covers them across their entire timeline that has now always been the accepted term in RP.
+

Last edited:

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Just wondering why the culture is forced to have allegiance to Lonmar. I mean, I understand but I don't see why it can't be an open culture for northerners alike.
RPly, the culture are not the only northern folk, but shedloads of historical events render the loyalty to the House and the name of the culture almost synonymous. It does not mean your character automatically runs around at the every behest of the Lonmar family, but it's kind of a given that you would live in those territories since 80% of the remaining Norvägen were from Stormhold and the surrounding territories in the old world.

OOCly, it's mainly just ease of co-ordination, simply enough. The Norvägen do not get on with the idea of harming their own blood, see.

I am, of course, open to odd exceptions, if sufficient effort is put into explaining them to me.

For example, a Norväg may have fled Stormhold soon after Draco's abdication, expecting the wrath of the Crown. They would have travelled through the Exodus portal sooner, and be reluctant to go back North to face the people they abandoned. Otherwise, a character may have Norvägen heritage, but be raised elsewhere in the North etc. etc.

The possibilities are endless~!

Last edited:

ACU20

Legend of Altera
Are you a swede or something? Because that in swedish basically mean northroad :D (except it's norr as north)

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff

I'll get on these right after I've gone went done dinner. :D

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
Q: to the others on Altera, were the Norvägen always there, or do they come from elsewhere?

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Righty, I'll handle these one at a time.
I'll write full specifics up in the lore at some point but (in general) dwarves and other northern cultures/people are warmed to more so than elves, halflings and all the other jolly southern folk.

But, in a nutshell:
+ Peasants have a healthy human amount of distrust toward other races, with older, more conservative members carrying more old prejudices than the newer generations. Usually this is not acted upon, however.

+ "Nobles", for want of a better word, are reasonably neutral towards all. They will be far less inclined to lean toward such bias, excepting in the case of magic-users, which is a reaaal point of contention no matter the race/culture.

+ Southerners are wusses. There do exist certain lingering archetypes about southerners, but not enough to prevent good relations.

+ Dwarves/other northerners are usually the most favoured "outsiders" due to old political connections, long-standing good terms, and similar ideologies.

+ Greylings, earthspawn and moor elves are less trusted by both, due to past Queen Grief shenanigannery (yes, this is a thing now).

Anithola

Lord of Altera
You have my
of approval! That.. sadly... does nothing. But awesome work!
( sorry about posting this here, realise its the wrong thread, but the other one was closed ^>^