Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Norvägen - Q&A

Tritonx9

I think I might like it here
Awesome, I love this culture.... just have to get accepted, but I dont want to change my whole whitelist to fit the Norvagen

skuller

Lord of Altera
What would a crossbreed between the Aervägen and Eldvägen be called and would they be frowned upon?

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
What would a crossbreed between the Aervägen and Eldvägen be called and would they be frowned upon?
The two are old, old bloodlines, rarely traced or paid great heed to. It would be like a person today saying that they have Celtic or Pictish ancestry. We're talking about bloodlines/cultures/clans from a looooong time ago.

PitaChipBoi

Lord of Altera
Nut_Jooce
Nut_Jooce
1.Would Swedish names work with this culture (as in character names)
2. Could I make a character who has Norvagen ancestors/parents but doesn't live in Stormhold, but instead in a small settlement owned by ( @Delta_61251 A.K.A Queen Rebecca ) that is eastof Stormhold on the other Northern Continent?
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, do I have to make an application for this character?
4. How do you make the a with the dots above it?
5,6, and 7. How many pounds of bacon were you smoking at the time you made this, where do I get smoke-able bacon, and how much does it cost?

P.S
giphy (1).gif

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
'Ello, ladies.

*Claps hands together, launches into answer-mode!*

1.Would Swedish names work with this culture (as in character names)
1. I can't claim to be an expert on Swedish names, and I'm sure there'll be modern ones that might be a wee bit questionable, but in general I expect it would be fine. :p
2. Could I make a character who has Norvagen ancestors/parents but doesn't live in Stormhold, but instead in a small settlement owned by ( @Delta_61251 A.K.A Queen Rebecca ) that is eastof Stormhold on the other Northern Continent?
2. That'd be fine.
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, do I have to make an application for this character?
3. It really depends on how much you want the character to be involved with their heritage - if you mean to have them follow similar beliefs to their parents, have significant knowledge of the culture or identify themselves as one of the Norvägen, I would ideally prefer to see an application. If it's closer to just noting that somewhere along the line they are related to the culture, I wouldn't mind so much. Either way, be sure to lob me a forum conversation with your ideas so we can comb through any issues first.
4. How do you make the a with the dots above it?
4. It doesn't work for me in MC for some reason, which is the biggest pain, but otherwise you can get it by doing: Num Lock+Alt+0228
5,6, and 7. How many pounds of bacon were you smoking at the time you made this, where do I get smoke-able bacon, and how much does it cost?
5. I lost count.
6. Not telling.
7. Your soul.
8. :heart:

PitaChipBoi

Lord of Altera
Nut_Jooce
Nut_Jooce
'Ello, ladies.

1. I can't claim to be an expert on Swedish names, and I'm sure there'll be modern ones that might be a wee bit questionable, but in general I expect it would be fine. :p

2. That'd be fine.

3. It really depends on how much you want the character to be involved with their heritage - if you mean to have them follow similar beliefs to their parents, have significant knowledge of the culture or identify themselves as one of the Norvägen, I would ideally prefer to see an application. If it's closer to just noting that somewhere along the line they are related to the culture, I wouldn't mind so much. Either way, be sure to lob me a forum conversation with your ideas so we can comb through any issues first.

4. It doesn't work for me in MC for some reason, which is the biggest pain, but otherwise you can get it by doing: Num Lock+Alt+0228

5. I lost count.
6. Not telling.
7. Your soul.

I haven't decided if I want to make a character or not, so I might PM you in the future!
P.S I am male. Not lady *cry*

ACU20

Legend of Altera
'Ello, ladies.

2. That'd be fine.

5. I lost count.
6. Not telling.
7. Your soul.

If you'd like Cherry, i could send you a list and a "know how" on how swedish names work.

But i think what builderpet is looking for is names such as

Ulf (Old norse word for Wolf) Björn (bear) Pär/Per, Harald, Anders, Anmund, Berthold.

Swedish last names are a bit of a weird one, so I won't go through the pain of explaining them here.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
If there's some wild and wacky name syntax that I'm unaware of, that's actually really interesting, and I'd be happy to hear a bit more. Really, though, for the Norvägen specifically it's more the sound/appearance of the name that's important, though from what I've seen you can reaaasonably get away with most rooted in Scandinavian/Germanic/Celtic languages with some prodding and poking.

The examples you listed certainly seem about right, in any case. :D

mokwar

Yū Yi
Evil
mokwar
mokwar
Evil
If there's some wild and wacky name syntax that I'm unaware of, that's actually really interesting, and I'd be happy to hear a bit more. Really, though, for the Norvägen specifically it's more the sound/appearance of the name that's important, though from what I've seen you can reaaasonably get away with most rooted in Scandinavian/Germanic/Celtic languages with some prodding and poking.

The examples you listed certainly seem about right, in any case. :D
For last names they general have the pattern that they take the first name of their father and adds "son" or "sen"
So for example, if someone had a child called Lars and the childs father was called Erik
The child would be names Lars Eriksen.

This is atleast what they did back then in Denmark. :D

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Ahh, I see.

Short answer: Nerp! That's not something done among the Norvägen "today" or as a whole.

However, it is entirely plausible that it was a practice followed by specific clans pre-unification, so I have no issue if anyone would like to keep hold of a name from a time/heritage when the "-son" or "-sen" suffixes were attached, just as there are plenty of UK folks today who are called Anderson and Johnson.