Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Road (Yes, based off the film) *contains strong themes!

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Hello everyone, for those that have seen or read The Road, I'm working on a tv series script of sort. It's planned up to season 3 in my mind so I know the direction I want it to go in.
I thought rather than the post a few episodes, I'm to post a pilot episode to see if there is any interest in
it.

So here is a synopsis:

'A tired man, Marcus, struggling to survive after an unspecified cataclysm that has killed most plant and animal life. Civilization has fallen reducing the survivors to scavenging and in most cases cannibalism. Marcus reaches desperate lows and is forced to make a difficult choice, but through his decision he meets a young girl Becky who has lost her Dad. Through the protection over Becky, Marcus hopes for the road of redemption for his acts will be decided by keeping her alive, but many threats will seek to block his road and kill them both.'

If you haven't checked out The Road, I strongly suggest that you do, anyway, who would like to see the first scripted episode? :)

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Ok, here is the first episode. It's written like a tv script basically. Also to make sure no one is confused, there are time skips during some of the scenes.
Anyway, enjoy! Please let me know what you think!

Episode 1: Pilot

Scene 1

THE SCENE OPENS IN A SMALL BATHROOM. BEFORE THE EVENTS OF THE APOCOLAYSE.

His eyes were dulled and tired. He leaned in closer to the fogged screened mirror. He wiped mist away to reveal an exhausted face. Messy umber brown hair, a white tee and blue and white checker boxer shorts.

Marcus:”God I’m fucking old.” Marcus groaned.

The morning was slowly tearing its way through the bathroom window. He rubbed his stubble face and opened the cupboard. It was full of what you would expect, toothbrushes, shaving foam, toothpaste and every other utility a man would use in the bathroom. He reached in, tiredly, and began to apply the foam to the left of his face, slapping it on, lazy like.

Marcus:“Time to look pretty.” He said jokingly, but without a smile. But before he could even begin to shave, a quick, three paced knock went at the bathroom door.

Lauren:“Dad I need to pee!” A young girl’s voice called from behind the door.

Marcus:“Yeah, and I need to pay the rent. So do it like I do and wait until some ass comes knocking on your door.”

Lauren: “But I really need to go!” The girl said, sounding if she was going to burst. He let out a huff of despair, knowing he had to give in to his daughter.

Marcus: “Fine, but you’re paying the rent from now on.” He opened the door, but before he could even look down to see his daughter, she ran past him in a flash and jumped on to the toilet. She looked up to him.

Lauren: “Um, some privacy please?” The little girl said.

Marcus: “Oh you get privacy and I don’t?”

Lauren: “Dad!”

Marcus: “Fine, fine fine”. He said, waving his hands in the air as he walked out of the bathroom. “And hurry up in there, we need to have some breakfast and get ready for our picture today”.

Lauren: “Ok!”

He smiled as he walked towards the kitchen. The apartment was small, not very clean, but so long as he could keep a roof for his daughter he didn’t mind the smell. The red carpet was dirty, stains from spilled drinks, plates that had been dropped when the two were watching a scary film together. Marcus came into the centre of the kitchen where a reasonable sized table, and two chairs held their stance. He looked over the kitchen table, it was dented, marked by cups where coasters should have been used, and leaning off the edge of the table was a thick of paper.

Marcus: “Shit.” He picked up the thick of paper, flicking through each page in a flash, following to lay them out on the table. Marcus remembered he had to mark his student’s latest tests, they were due two days from now.

Marcus: “Bah, two days is nothing”. Marcus went to grab a bowl and a plate for breakfast. He took two slices of bread and shoved them into the toaster, dialled for three minutes. The toilet flushed.

Marcus poured himself a bowl of corn flakes, filling it after with semi-skinned milk. He sat down by the table and began to eat his cereal. The bathroom door came open, and out came Lauren.

Lauren: “Oh man… I wanted cereal”. She said, walking into the kitchen.

Marcus: “Too bad, looks like you’re having toast”. Marcus said, looking more intently through his student’s tests.

Lauren: “I don’t want toast… Toast sucks ass”

Marcus: “Well now you and the toast have something in common” He said, continuing happily with his cereal.

Lauren: “Ha, ha”. Lauren said, waiting for toast. She sat down, looking around the room, tapping her fingers on the table. “So why are we getting a picture again?”

Marcus stopped reading through the test papers.

Marcus: “It’s good to have memories Lauren, remind me what a little shit you are.”

Lauren: “Are you ever gunna speak ‘politely’ around me? I’m eleven for Christ sake.”

Marcus: “Hey, don’t use the Lord’s name in vein” She shook her head, but she didn’t care that much, she was used to language. He looked up from his cereal to speak his daughter more intently.

Marcus: “So how you feeling about next week? You nervous?”

Lauren: “For eighth-grade? Kinda, I dunno, not as much as seventh-grade that’s for sure”

Marcus: “Well I’m sure it will be fine, and if you get into any trouble come and find me, you know where my room is”

Lauren: “Oh yeah, nothing is cooler than coming to see the history teacher for advice” She said rolling her eyes.

Marcus: “I’m just say-“The toast popped up. Lauren stood from her chair, taking her plate and grabbing the two slices of toast for which she despised. She looked around the kitchen, and then let out a moan.

Lauren: “Where’s the butter dad?”

Marcus: “The fuck would I know?”

Scene 2

THE SCENE CONTINUES FROM SCENE 1. MARCUS AND LAUREN ARE IN A STORE, WAITING TO GET THERE PHOTO.

The line was rather small in the store. Not many family’s came to get their picture taken as much as they used to. Marcus rubbed his clean shaven face and fiddled with his shirt, making sure it was neat and tucked in.

Photographer:“Next please.” The man from the counter called.

Marcus: “You ready?” Marcus said to his daughter.

Lauren:“Yeah I’m good, do I look ok?” Lauren said, clearly concerned with the dress she wore.

Marcus: “You look great, now come on let’s get this over with so we can buy some butter” The two moved through the back of shop, in there stood a green screen, a fat little man hurrying around with a tripod.

Photographer: “Oh just, just wait one moment please sir! It will be ready within a flash…”The man turned.

Photographer: “No pun intended” The fat man laughed to himself as he returned back to fixing the camera.

Marcus looked down to Lauren.

Marcus: “Jesus fucking Christ” He shook his head and walked towards the man with a smirking Lauren. The man was muttering to himself as they came closer.

Photographer: “To the left… bit to the right, ahh yes! Marvellous! You two, stand by the screen”. Marcus and Lauren walked on over, standing in front of the green screen, staring into the camera.

Photographer: “3...2...1… Smile!” The two father and daughter let out a happy smile, a content one, showing that with what life they had, they were grateful, glad to have each other.

Scene 3

THIS SCENE HIS DURING THE APOCOLAYSE, DURING THE EVENTS OF THE ROAD.

A drop of rain fell on to the picture, dripping from the top, finding its way down the picture of his daughter and himself. A monstrous rainstorm had started in the bleak and greyish night. Marcus rubbed his bushed beard as he looked into the picture, but his look was distracted by another noise. The sound of a slow moving convoy was coming from outside the abandoned house he was in. He peered out the cracked window near him, seeing faintly in the night, two trucks, one of their headlights were broken from what Marcus could see. Marcus cursed under his breath, he rushed his hands under his jacket and reached for his snub-revolver. Looking at the only door which would lead straight out to the incoming convoy, he saw that he would only have one option if they came through. Marcus placed the revolver at his temple. His hands started to shake as he let out a tear, staring into the old fading picture of his past. A world forgotten and taken by the one he lived in now. He was alone.

OPENING CREDITS

Scene 4

THIS SCENE IS WEEK AND HALF FURTHER THAN SCENE 3, IT OPENS TO AN EMPTY INTERROGATION ROOM, NOT ONE YOU WOULD FIND IN A POLICE STATION, BUT A HOMEMADE ONE IT WOULD SEEM. A WELL WORE TABLE STOOD IN THE MIDDLE, ON EITHER SIDE, UNDERNEATH THE LEGS WERE TWO CHAIRS, ONES YOU WOULD NORMALLY FIND UNDER THE DESK OF STUDENT AT SCHOOL. FROM OUTSIDE THE ROOM, THE SOUND OF FOOTSTEPS COME TOWARDS THE DOOR.

The door opened, bashing against the grey toned wall.

Daniel:”Sit these fuckers down here.” His voice echoed of a Columbian drug lord, he certainly looked the part. He head was shaven still, and he wore a ragged white tanned jacket. As Daniel moved into the room, three men with an empty brown sack on their heads came tumbling in, each of their hands bonded. Behind them was another man pointed a rifle into their backs, he was black skinned and had a notable scan on his right eye.

Daniel:”No not there, there. On their knees.” The three men were pushed to the floor, it was clear they had suffered some sort of wounds as the one in the middle groaned as he was forced to the floor.

Daniel:”Leave us.” Daniel didn’t look at his soldier, he only gave contact to his captives.

Once his soldier had left, he knelt down to the middle man. He wretched off the brown sack, throwing it to the side. He revealed an oldish man, he looked to be in his forties, a strong surviving man, battle tested. His eye were brown as was his hair and bushed beard, and he had a bruise on his forehead.

Marcus:”Where am I?” Marcus said, as his eyes adjusted to the light in the room. Daniel chuckled.

Daniel:”No no no, that is not how it works. I, ask you, the questions.”

Marcus:”Where is she?” Daniel stood from his knees, he rubbed scarred face as he turned, looking down to his boots, sighing.

Marcus:”Where is she!” Marcus was answered by a kick to the gut. He coughed as his face fell to the floor. The two men beside him shook in fear.

Daniel:”I told you not to ask didn’t I? Was I not clear enough?... Apparently not” Daniel seemed to enjoy this environment, being aggressive, frightening other men. He had a wicked smile.

Daniel:”Marcus, why were you taking a little girl with these men? Hmm? These two, these fuckers right here”

Marcus:”How do you know my nam -“Daniel grabbed Marcus’s jaw.

Daniel:”Why? Hmm? I only ask, cause I know what people are at their fucking camp, but I don’t know you. You might be a wounded man, struggling through life with your daughter, or one of their new recruits trying to earn their keep.” Marcus looked confused by his words as his jaw was let go.

Marcus:”Earn my keep? Why would they want her?” Marcus nodded his head side to side, he had suffered a blow to the head, the pain was still raw. Daniel crouched again, and looked to him. The smile was wiped from his face, but a more villainous yet calm look appeared on to his face.

Daniel:”You have no idea who these people are, do you?” Daniel stood, and pulled a pistol from his back. He cocked the gun. “These men… are monsters”.

He fired. The man left of Marcus fell to floor as blood began to flow out the top of the sack. Marcus’s brain rattled and he could not hear a word, only a high pitch noise and the sound of someone screaming beside him.

As Marcus began to regain his hearing, Daniel knelt down once again, looking into Marcus’s eyes.

Daniel:”They… were brothers. But you already knew that right? See I’m not sure how much you already know. So. We, will start from the beginning, shall we?” Marcus nodded ever so slowly, his eyes were wider than before, a shiver went down his back.

Daniel:”How long have you been travelling with that girl Marcus?” Marcus was a bit reluctant to answer, but Daniels ways were persuasive.

Marcus:”Just over a week… I found her after her Dad died.” Marcus looked down to the floor.

Daniel:”And before that?” Marcus looked to the side, the fresh corpse with a bag still on its head, blood still dripping way, the puddle making its way to Marcus.

Marcus: “I was alone.”

Scene 5

THE SCENE CONTINUES RIGHT WHERE SCENE 3 ENDED.

The rain poured hard in the night, followed by thunder. The trucks were moving slowly through the muddy street, they were most likely looking for food, which meant people. Marcus held the revolver closer to his temple, his hands shook more as the tears fell down his cheeks.

But as the rain went on, the two trucks, one with a broken headlight leading, moved on, as they could not hear Marcus tremble. They drove past the house and went on, continuing north.

He threw the revolver across the room, picking up dust against the floorboards. Marcus rubbed the tears with the back of his hand, the old photo still in in his hands.

Marcus:”Fuck…” He looked out the window once more, the rain pattering against the glass and the mud outside. He felt a rumble in his stomach, his last meal was two nights before. A can of tomatoes was what he ate that night, but since then, nothing. No meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Marcus:”Guess I’m here tonight” Marcus said as he began to stand, his left knee clicked as he went up. He glanced around the room once more. He had been following the tracks of someone he found last night, that’s where he got the can of tomatoes, it was unfinished, but fresh. Someone had left the can there for a reason, everyone was hungry now, and no one would leave a good, filling meal like that alone. The house he was in was one story with a few rooms. Marcus stood in the living room, an abandoned, forgotten family hold. Dust swept across the wooden floor, a broken table by a red sofa, two of the cushions were missing for some reason. On the once white vibrant walls was a painting. The portrait showed a bold lion caring a baby gazelle in the dark of the woods.

Marcus went over to the other side of the room, he picked the revolver up and opened the six-rounded chamber. But only four bullets were in the chamber. He closed the chamber and went over to the sofa. Two of those bullets had been used on people, he often dreamed about those two shootings, Marcus was never a fan of those dreams, but he was used to seeing them, those faces. He would most likely see them tonight.

Scene 6

THIS SCENE RETURNS TO THE TIME OF SCENE 5.

Daniel:”Why were you tracking this person? Hmm?” By this time, Marcus and Daniel were seated, the blood was beginning to dry where the corpse was and the other man had been taken out of the room.

Marcus:”There’s a… better chance in, survival. Strength in numbers… From the looks of this place, you probably already know that.” His hands were still binded. They were resting on the table and they were sore.

Daniel:”Yes, number do help… But!” Daniel raised his fingers in a quickened paced, pointing at Marcus.

Daniel:”Numbers do not make you the good guys, do they?” He grinned wickedly again.

Marcus:”I’m guessing you’re not the good guys then?” Daniel looked to the blood, drying away on the floor.

Daniel:”Each group you met always has a bad bean you know? But doesn’t mean the whole can is tainted.” He leaned in closer, his hands were gripping the edge of the table as if he throw it up in the air at any moment.

Daniel:”Those men you were travelling with… They are not the good guys, not a single soul.” His voice was intent.

Marcus started to question himself. Why was he captured? How did Daniel know this group of people? Why were they bad? Too many questions and no answers he thought.

Marcus:”They seemed alright to m-“

Daniel:”You Marcus, were deceived. Lied to. So… How about we continue your adventure hey? ... What happened after the stormy night?”

Marcus rubbed his beard with his binded hands, and then touched the bruise on his head.

Scene 7

THE SCENE CONTINUES AFTER THE NIGHT WHERE MARCUS SLEPT IN SCENE 5.

Marcus woke with a jump. Another shock from a dream he has had before. He dreamed that he was eating someone, a fear that always came to trouble him. Cannibalism was a common thing now and Marcus worried he would end up like the others who had fallen to it.

He had slept on the sofa that night, using the cushion that was left as a pillow. He rubbed his tired eyes and felt yet another yearning in his stomach. Hunger.

I’ll need something soon, I don’t want to get desperate. He thought.

Marcus packed up his things and strung his large rucksack over his shoulder. He pushed open the stiff door creaking door and went outside. The morning was grey as usual. In the old world the morning sun would force you to cover eyes from the brightness, but in the new world, each morning is the same. Grey skies, smoked and dawned. The other houses were just as empty as the one Marcus had slept in. The street was littered with wrecked cars, cracks and holes and the past. From what he guessed from the tracks, he discovered Marcus decided to continue going south. Hoping he would find the person.

Scene 8

THE SCENE CUTS TO MARCUS WALKING DOWN THE STREET FROM THE HOUSE HE SLEPT IN. THE DAY IS MORN, YET GREY.

The two trucks had left tracks in the mud going north. Marcus stayed on the path rather than the road going south, it was glazed over with wet mud. One step in there you lose a pair of socks. The deep mud would seep into the socks and ruin them, making the long walks unbearable, especially if you’ve got cuts down by your ankles. Socks are worth more than a meal at times, a handy tip he discovered himself. Marcus continued to walk down the street, passing each ruin of a house, local shop, parks, but he stopped. Something had caught his eye from the distance in the mud. He didn’t have the best of eyes, so he couldn’t quite make out what he saw. He squinted, but it didn’t help.

He pulled the revolver from his back, slung down by his right side, cautiously walking on the path, but getting closer to what caught his sight. Something was moving in the mud, crawling like a slug.

Its colour was rotten like an onion left open and cut for weeks, covered in the dark mud. Most likely been there the whole night.

Marcus rubbed the back of his head, he was growing more nervous as came closer as he could begin to see what it was.

He could see hands, arms and a head, pulling itself along in the mud. It was a person. Marcus raised his gun, he stopped on the path, aiming at the creature. It raised its head, its eyes were pale blue, looking at Marcus. It could not speak. It was pale. It was weak, and it was sad. Marcus knew exactly what it was and why it was like the way it was.

Marcus stepped closer, standing on the edge of the path, but not in the mud. He crouched down, staring into the eyes of creature that crawled closer. Its legs were severed below the knee, but they were patched up rather well. Horrifyingly well Marcus thought.

He lowered his gun.

Marcus:”I’m sorry they did this to you”

The creature stopped crawling. It instead, looked at Marcus. The creature was sad, but no tears fell from his eyes. The eyes told Marcus his story.

The creature was probably like Marcus once, a man on his own, surviving on what he could find, but one day someone caught him. Probably those people in the trucks, found the man and took him. Cutting him up on the way to their home and eating him. The man turned creature through the week, probably fell off the truck during the night.

Marcus grabbed his jaw ever so slightly, he wanted to see what pain was placed on to him. With his left hand he opened the weak creature’s mouth.

The creature’s mouth was vile, there was no tongue, the teeth were rotten, and dry blood covered his gums.

Marcus:”They took it so you wouldn’t scream no more?” Marcus let go of the creatures jaw.

It nodded in response.

He looked at the creature, sorrow started to fill Marcus.

Marcus:”Were you on your own when they took you?”

The creature shook its head. Marcus rubbed the back of his head in distress, thinking of how many people have gone through the same trouble.

Marcus:”Your family still on the trucks?”

The creature nodded with its gloomy eyes.

Marcus held the creature’s hand, embracing him. It was weak, Marcus could feel the thin bones in the creature’s palm.

Marcus:”We all lose someone…All of us”

The creature smiled at Marcus, he sealed his mouth to not show his scars, but he looked happy, for a moment, right there the man felt compassion with this stranger with the gun. Then his eyes looked to the gun.

Marcus’s eyes met with the creatures.

Marcus:”I can’t”

Marcus let go of the creature’s hand. It turned sad once more.

Marcus:”I need the bullets…I’m sorry” Marcus turned even more sympathetic for the creature, the poor thing wanted it to be over, but Marcus knew that each bullet he had would mean he would live a little longer.

The creature open it’s open and tried to speak, saying what words he could attempt to piece together.

Creature:”Plea-…..Plea….”

Marcus:”I’m sorry, I’m so sorry” He put the revolver under the back of his jacket, tucked into his pants.

The creature reached for the weapon.

Marcus:”I need them” Marcus stood, he walked back a few paces from the creature. It did not like that. It turned sour. The creature pulled itself from the road and onto the path, trying to grab Marcus’s feet.

The creature opened its mouth and tried to scream, but all that would come out was a person with a throat that had been cut and clawed.

Marcus began to grow fearful of the creature, he jumped back from it, starting to walk away, but still looking at the creature, crawling towards him

He couldn’t look at the poor thing anymore, he turned around and continued to walk south as he did before.

It continued to scream and crawl, but Marcus had his legs. He walked away, leaving the man.

Marcus:”I’m sorry” He said rubbing his eyes, regret filling his veins.

As Marcus walked off, well away from the half man, the creature laid on the path next to the street. From its pocket in the trousers, he pulled out something.

A picture. A young man, embracing his wife and little girl. The creature gazed into the picture and let a single tear fall down his pale cheek.

SCENE 9

10 MINUTES AFTER SCENE 8. MARCUS WAS STILL WALKING DOWN THE STREET, BUT WELL AWAY FROM THE CREATURE.

The street was rather the same as the other one. Tattered and rumbling communities, faded memories now washed away by ash. Though among the ash, things remained. Pictures of loved ones, toys that were played with, hours upon hours, playgrounds where parents took their kids to go on a grand adventure, to teach them to ride a bike. Memories.

But Marcus tried to avoid those things, he reminded him too much of pain. He instead, like most others remaining in this world, looked for supplies. Socks, rope, sheets, but mainly food. Water he was ok on, he knew how to purify a water source if he found one. A few bottles of water were in his pack.

Even the rumble in his stomach was still lurching, the pain couldn’t be compared to what he did to that man. Left him for dead. Marcus closed his eyes and could still see him. He rubbed his beard in nervous distress, thinking about what he did. He looked back from the road he was walking on.

Should he continue on finding this man he was tracking? Or give a final mercy to a stranger?

Marcus opened the chamber of his gun. Four bullets left… Should he have three now?

He closed the chamber. He made his decision. He began to walk back north, back where he found him.

SCENE 10

SCENE CONTINUES AFTER SCENE 9, MARCUS WALKING BACK.

On the path Marcus walked, his eyes observing the muddy road, looking for a half man crawling.

He found his way back, to where he had found the man before, but he was not there. However there were tracks of a crawling man.

Marcus stepped in the mud, following the tracks through the road, west in the street. His revolver was drawn in case something would happen.

The tracks led him around the street corner. Marcus found him soon enough.

The man was laid back against a dried up fountain, where wishes used to be made. He looked dead, but any person who was carved for food would look the same.

Marcus ran towards him in a hurry, he kneeled down next to the halfman. His eyes began to open.

The man smiled at Marcus.

Marcus smiled back. The first time he had smiled for a long time. He held up the revolver to the man’s forehead. The man held on to a picture, his eyes were in gazed on the portrait, but then he looked to Marcus, trying to say some words.

Man:”Than… You…”

Marcus:”You’re welcome”

He fired.

The man was at peace, no more pain would be weighing him down.

Marcus looked at the man, what he was. He hoped he would not have to go through what he did. But wished someone would give him a bullet if he ended up like that.

Before he would stand, Marcus looked at the man’s hand. He hand something gripped tight with his thin bones. Marcus easily opened the grip and a picture fell out. He picked it up and saw a family.

He smiled again. Marcus placed the photo in his inner jacket pocket, next to his own photo of him and his daughter. He nodded to the peaceful man and walked off, back on his route, trying to find the man he was tracking. But his stomach was emptier than before.

SCENE 11

THE SCENE TAKES PLACE BACK WITH HIS CONVERSATION WITH DANIEL.

Daniel:”Why would you want to waste a bullet on a dead man? Hmm? To ease the fucker’s pain or something?” Marcus remained quiet about it.

Daniel pulled out his gun again, he pulled out the clip and emptied the cartridge on the table. The bullets scattered and rolled along the surface, six of them. Daniel picked one up.

Daniel:”Do you know, how valuable these are? Hmm? … I’m sure you do Marcus, these, these things are the reason why we are talking in a nice secure place. If someone tries to take our home, what do we do in response with what with we have?” Daniel looked at the bullet he had in his fingertips, and then to Marcus.

He motioned the bullet towards his temple, and with his other hand, placed on the other side of his temple, he animated brain and blood coming out.

He laughed, clearly enjoying his own words.

Daniel:”Would you load this up for me? “Daniel gave Marcus the cartridge.

As Marcus began to pick up the bullets from the table, Daniel continued to talk.

Daniel:”So what happened then?”

Marcus:”What’d you mean?” He said, loading the second bullet.

Daniel:”We have your gun Marcus… You have two bullets left. Did you miss or something?”

Marcus was about to speak a word, but he wasn’t sure how he could say it. He could tell him about the fourth bullet, but the third one?

Marcus:”I found the person I was tracking.”

SCENE 12

A FEW GOOD HOURS OF WALKING SOUTH, MARCUS WAS NEARING A CITYSCAPE. HE WASN’T EVEN SURE IF THE PERSON HE WAS TRACKING WAS THIS WAY, HE WAS STARTING TO LOSE FAITH WITH IT. MAYBE HE SHOULDN’T HAVE GONE BACK TO THE HALFMAN.

The sky was still grey, as it always was. Didn’t matter if it was morning or the night, grey was the constant.

I need to eat soon… Marcus anxiously thought. He would never eat someone, but he was desperate. He needed regular food, he’d be fine with dog food if he found that, he’s eaten it before.

As he walked through the city, where skyscrapers and abandoned cars littered the place, Marcus looked for anything that would have any socks. The ones he had were dripping with mud. As Marcus hiked through whatever city he was in, he admired the structures he saw. Old corporate businesses that traded stocks, clothing, minerals. It was still odd for Marcus to see these buildings but a ruin of what they were. But his focus was on socks for the moment.

The wind brushed through the open air, ricocheting off the broken windows from the cars. He would need to find this person, or food soon.

Fortunately he found a two story clothing shop as he walked down the city street. Rogers Clothing. The sign read, Very creative name. Marcus joked to himself. This part of the city was very open, cracks in the road and pavement, a few cars that looked broken beyond repair, and a pickup truck that looked like it could work if someone had a real good go at it. But Marcus wasn’t that person, he was a history teacher not a mechanic.

Marcus went inside the clothing shop. It was boarded up at the windows, first and second floor, though there were some gaps between the rotting boards, easily breakable. A bullet would tear through that like a hot knife through butter. Not much was left in the store as you could expect, most of the socks and sheets had been taken. Coats and jackets were stripped away, even the coat hangers were near to gone. He spent 10 minutes rummaging before he found a pair under the counter. The shop was rather small, a local business stuck in the city. He laid back on the counter, taking of his muddy shoes and socks. Lucky for him there was a mirror along the bottom right side of the wall, where you could see how your shoes looked on you. Marcus swapped out his mudded socks for a fresh pair.

As he put on the right sock, something caught his eye in the store. Under a clothes rack he saw a strap of a grey rifle. But before he would go over to reach it, he heard a noise from outside. What was that? He thought.

Marcus quickly put on his new socks and his old boots and looked out the window through the boards.

Outside was a man looking in front of the pickup truck. He was on his own with a large bag on his back, but what caught Marcus’s eye most was what was in his hand. An open can of tomatoes. The man looked rather odd, not a nice man at all, he sucked the tomato juice from his fingers. He was distracted, trying to fix the vehicle from the looks of it.

Marcus knew that not many people at all would share a can of food with a stranger, he knew that for certain. He knew that if he wanted to survive, he would have to do things he wouldn’t want to do, but had to do.

Jesus Christ…He thought.

Through one of the larger gaps of the boarded windows, Marcus pulled the revolver from his back, and aimed out the window. Marcus started to shake, he could already feel a tear beginning to come out. He pulled back the hammer and fired with a relentless flinch.

The can of tomatoes fell to the floor, along with the man. A bullet to head.

Marcus looked down at his gun, opening the chamber again to see the two he had left. But before he closed it up again he heard a shriek. One of a little girl.

Girl:”Daddy!” A little girl came out of another store from the other side of the street, she ran over to the dead man.

Girl:”No…. No! No! No!” She rested her head on his chest, weeping into his jacket.

Marcus leaned behind the wall of the shop he was in, he wept just like the girl. He looked at his gun, thinking now was the time he would pull the trigger to himself.

In the open space where the girl was, not too far from her, around the corner four armed men appeared. They must have heard the shot.

Marcus closed his eyes and put the gun to his head once more. He was certain this time.

Scavenger1:”There’s the little bitch… Come on!” The man shouted.

Marcus opened his eyes.

Last edited:

kaza125

Lord of Altera
it was Amazing, it is not often things like this catch my eye because I am quite picky about books and such, but you sir, have the talent that catches my attention as a reader, and I just want MORE MORE MORE :heart:
Really?
What did you like about it?
Also what could be improved?

Kyle1322

Lord of Altera
Really?
What did you like about it?
Also what could be improved?
What I think that could be improved is a little filler detail, as much as I felt a connection to the characters, it felt like they were in a box the entire time, I didnt feel the setting all too well, but either then that, great character development, I truly felt for the legless man, poor guy.

kaza125

Lord of Altera
What I think that could be improved is a little filler detail, as much as I felt a connection to the characters, it felt like they were in a box the entire time, I didnt feel the setting all too well, but either then that, great character development, I truly felt for the legless man, poor guy.
Noted kyle :)
I think you'll like the next episode a lot more, we'll get to find out about the girl Marcus found, and Marcus may begin to open up :)

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Make sure you're up to date with episode 1
EPISODE 2- And so We Meet

Scene 1

After Marcus shot the man, a little girl came running out of the store on the other side of the street. She ran over to the body.

She was dazed and lost. Her head was ringing and blood was on her tiny hands. She looked down at her Dad. Dead to the floor, his eyes were still, but his body was warm.

Becky looked at her paling hands. The blood dripped through her fingers and trickled to the concrete road.

Becky:”Dad?... Dad? Dad! Dad!”

She was weeping more than her Dads veins.

She could only here a ringing, and only see blood and tears.

Scene 2

Two days before Becky’s dad died. It was early in the morning, 6am. Becky had just woken up, but her Dad was asleep. The two were in another house that was taken by the new harsh world.

She rubbed her eyes and wildly yawned. Her stomach was empty.

Who thought you would have to wake up early in the apocalypse? She thought.

She took off the cotton cover she slept in and rose up from the wooden floor. Her Dad was to her right and well asleep. They had put sheets on the windows to act as curtains, so that way it would be less difficult for people to spot them.

Becky:”Dad…” She said in a tiredly tone.

She couldn’t seem to wake him. She gave a slight kick to his side.

Becky:”Da-“

John:”I’m up!” He rubbed his side.

John:”God Becky… You don’t have to kick me” He brushed his eyes as well.

Becky:”You told me to wake you up if I was up before” She said light-heartedly.

John looked around the room, his knees clicked as he stood up.

John:”God damn.” He went up the windows and pulled back the sheets to see what the day had in store for them.

John:”We got plenty of time before it turns dark again… Get your stuff, we need to find some food”

Becky:”Yeah, I’m starving”

John:”So is everyone else, that’s why we need to get up early. Let’s move it”

Scene 3

The scene continues after the father and daughter have left the house they stayed in. Walking a street going south towards a little town.

The two were silent. Both were tired, but it was the hunger that made them quiet. Becky looked at the area around them.

They were on a road in a once green, and open countryside. The grass was rotten and poor and there were cracks along the road. No crops would grow anymore, that meant no more wheat, no corn and for more importantly, no more strawberries Becky thought. They had walked past a few country estates and farmhouses but they were stripped clean, scavenged to pieces.

Becky:”Are we close to this town yet?” She said holding the straps of rucksack. She looked like a young adventurer, ready to climb the tallest of mountains.

Becky looked at her Dad as they were walking. They were next to each other, but Becky was a bit behind him.

John:”Well that map said it was close, and we’ve been walking for a few hours so I think we’re getting there”

There was a silence between them, he used to talk his daughter a lot, but the end of the world doesn’t really bring the best out of people. Becky didn’t mind that much, she understood why, but the quiet was the worst part of the end.

Becky:”So, uh… You still hungry?”

John:”Cause I am, I’d eat dog food if I found some”

Becky:”Urh, not again, I hate dog food…”

John:”Eat what we find… Remember?” He said bluntly.

Becky bit her lip, she did that often when she felt a bit stupid, or nervous.

Becky:”Yeah…”

They continued to walk the road, Becky kept looking around since her Dad didn’t have the best of sight.

They were walking up a long hill, her legs started to ache, as did her back.

She was about to say something, but her Dad stopped her with his hand, halting her to a full stop in her tracks.

Becky:”Da-?”

John:”Shh.”

What is it? She thought worryingly.

But then it came sudden to her.

The faint sound of an engine of a car was coming from the other side of the hill.

John:”Shit…” Her Dad looked around in fear, trying to look for a place to hide, as did she.

She looked over to the left of the road, and further into the field she could see a trench of sort.

Becky:”Dad! There!” She pointed.

He grabbed her by the hand and rushed over to the trench like hole.

John:”Get down, tuck your knees.”

Becky crouched down in the hole, waiting for her Dad to join her. She needed him.

He came down with her, even though he was too big for the hole he managed to get in.

John:”Keep. Your head. Down”

She nodded in response. She was scared, and grew more frightened as the sound of the engine came climbing over the hill.

Becky looked at her Dad, it helped comfort her to see that he wasn’t shaking and frightened.

Eventually the truck came over the hill and swiftly drove past them.

She covered her shaking hands under her jacket.

Becky:”Fuck me… That. Was some scary shit” She let out a breath of fresh air.

John began to stand, getting out of the hole.

John:”Lets move”

Becky climbed herself out of the hole.

Becky:”How were you not scared?!” Becky said, befuddled by her Dad.

He ignored her. He was too focused on something.

John:”Look at the road”

She continued to hold her confused dazed. Becky looked at the cracked and worn out road. It had dirt tracks from the truck that passed, perhaps that was it?

Becky:”The tracks?”

John:”They’re fresh Becks, not dried out. Means they came from a place not too far from here. Come on”

The two rushed over the top of the hill and saw two things. The town that they were looking for, and a small house before that on the country road where Becky could faintly see that the tracks came from there. It brought a slight smile to her face.

Becky:”The tracks, they’re dad” She pointed. He didn’t say anything, instead he continued to walk down the hill and towards the house where the tracks came from.

Scene 4

The scene continues where the two have reached the front of house.

A two-story farmhouse stood in front of them. It was homemade from the look of it, probably been there for a good few decades. The windows were boarded up on both levels and the white paint was decaying off the wooden walls.

John:”Let’s go” John walked up to the door and then looked back at his daughter. He nodded and so did she.

They had no guns so the situation would be direr if someone was in.

He opened the door quickly and rushed in. Becky remained outside, looking back at the hill to see if the truck would come back.

After a few moments, he called for her.

John:”Becks, get in here!”

Becky walked in the house. A kitchen to the left where her dad was in, a lounge to the right and a set of stairs down the hallway in front of her. She walked in the kitchen. Her dad was holding a bag and a grey rifle on his back.

Becky:”What is it?”

John:”Food Becks, a whole bunch.” He smiled as he pulled out a can of tomatoes and some mince meat.

Becky smiled just as much.

Becky:”Holy crap, gimme a can would’ya? I’m starving!”

John:”We can’t eat them here, we gotta move into the town, quickly” He said as he began to walk out the kitchen.

Becky:”Why’s that?... And where did you get that gun?”

He stopped. He left out a breath of air, still facing away from his daughter.

John:”In the other room was this rifleS, and some sleeping bags… Those people that drove past are living here”

Beckys smile soured. She didn’t like what he said.

Becky:”So we’re stealing from them? Taking all their food? We shouldn-”

He turned around and looked at his daughter, he grew more furious.

John:”When’s the last time you ate? Hmm?”

She looked down at her feet, biting her lip again.

Becky:”A couple da-“

John:”A couple of days Becks, and with this…”He lifted up the bag.

John:”We can go a week with a full stomac-“

Becky:”It’s not ours Dad” This time she looked at him, he was scaring her, but she had to stand up to him.

He was stunned, shocked that she would say such a thing.

John:”You think I wanna steal? Think I like it? Hmm?”

She shook her head.

Becky:”No…”

John:”We have to Becks. We eat what we find”

Becky:”Couldn’t we just leave a few cans? We don’t even know who these people are”

John:”No.” He was blunt.

He went to the edge of the door.

Becky:”They might die without it…”

He rubbed the back of his head, he looked frustrated. Becky lifted up a smile thinking he would turn around and leave a can, but he just went out the door, without consideration of those people.

She didn’t want to leave these people without food, even though she didn’t have a clue of what kind of people they were. She followed him out the door.

Scene 5

The scene continues after the two have headed into the town they spotted. They have settled in a house as night has firmly set.

The two were sitting on a dusty sofa with three cushions and digging into their cans.

Becky didn’t really want to say anything to him, because if she did protest he would just get angry.

From the kitchen in this house, Becky had grabbed a couple of spoons for herself and her Dad so they could eat properly.

I’m getting fuller already. She thought. She was halfway through her first can. Becky briefly looked at her Dad to the left of her on the sofa, who was eating his way through the can in silence.

Becky:”You don’t mind if I read do ya?” She asked, feeling afraid he would just get angry again.

He only nodded back, no words, just a nod.

Becky shrugged and put the can to the side. She went over to her light pink rucksack in the corner of the room and picked it up.

Becky:”Very dusty” She said to herself, hoping her Dad was say something, but he remained quiet.

Becky unzipped her rucksack. In it was two books, a notepad, some pencils and a framed picture. She looked at the picture first, even though it made her sad every time.

It was gathering dust, she hadn’t looked at it in a while. A picture of her, Dad, and her mom.

She huffed and put the picture back, instead she picked up her book. ‘The Reign of Charles V’ by William Maltby.

She took it back with her to the sofa and picked up where she was last at, occasionally taking a bite from her can. Her feet couldn’t reach the floor, so she swung them back and forth in the air, lightly hitting the sofa. The sofa was backed up against a wall, with a picture over hanging, a lion and a gazelle from the looks of it.

John:”Look, I know your angry bu-“

Becky:”But we had to do it” She said, giving him no eye contact, she was upset with him.

John:”Well, I’m sorry Becks”

She gave him the same treatment that she got. She kept on reading.

John:”So what’d you reading?”

She didn’t lift up her eyes, but she talked at least.

Becky:”History” Blunt like her dad.

He chuckled to himself.

John:”Which one? The Emperor guy or that English one who had six wives?”

She looked up from her book and at her Dad.

Becky:”The emperor guy, Charles V, he lead the Holy Roman Empire”

John:”Oh yeah? Sounds like a cool guy, was he important or something then?”

Did he really just ask that? She thought.

Becky:”Yeah, basically the protector of Europe, Dad” She laughed. How could he even say something so stupid?

John:”Hey I was never into history, your mom was though, she loved it”

Becky smiled, remembering how she got this book.

Becky:”This was her book. She gave it to me for my birthday”

John:”Hmm” John leaned back on the sofa, taking in what happened today and thinking back.

John:”God I miss her” John wiped the sweat off his forehead.

Becky:”Me too” She smiled again and closed her book.

Becky went to look out the window, pulling the sheet back slightly to see how dark it was.

John:”We’ll find her Becks” He looked over to her with an uplifting smile.

John:”I promise”

Becky:”Yeah I know” Becky smiled, looking back at him.

John stood up, his knees cracked as he went, stiff bones.

John:”So, rather than reading… How about a pillow fight?” he picked up the cushion from the sofa.

Becky:”A pillow fight?”

He lightly hit her with the cushion.

Becky:”Hey-“

And again.

Becky:”I’m warning yo-“

This time she blocked it with the cushion in the middle.

She stood up along with him. A Mexican cushion standoff. Who would draw first? The two laughed as they continued to hit each other, Becky trying her best, swiping left and right, but she was no match for her Dad.

This was the Dad she knew, happy and glad to be around, even though her mother wasn’t here, she felt happy for once.

Scene 6

The scene continues the next day in the afternoon. The two are still in the town but are walking towards a cityscape.

The road was chuck full of mud, and looking at the clouds coming far from the east, it would probably rain later, Becky speculated.

Becky had her pink rucksack on her back and her hands in another can of the tomatoes they stole.

Her Dad carried two bags on him and the grey rifle, luckily along with the rifle he found twenty bullets to go with it.

Becky could see the city as they come near to the edge of the town.

Becky:”You think the city will have some stuff we can take?”

This time Becky was walking right beside her Dad.

John:”It might… I hope so anyway, if not, we’ll keep walking through”

Becky:”I’m hoping we find a working shower ‘cause I smell like shit”

John:”Language Becks”

Becky:”Fine, sorry”

The two continued to walk, but then John stood still like the other day. Becky was confused for a second, but she knew why they stopped again.

A familiar sound came from behind them.

But before they could even think to find a place to hide, the men in the car had spotted them in their sights, the sedan got to them within a few seconds.

Becky:”Dad? What’d we do?”

He clenched his jaw, thinking.

Becky:”Dad!”

The truck came to a stop in front of them, several feet away from them.

Becky quickly hid the can behind her back.

In the sedan were four men, two in the front and two in the back. They looked like scavengers from what Becky could tell.

The man behind the wheel grinned, but not in the friendly way. He stepped out of the driver’s seat, turning the engine off. The door creaked as it opened.

Scavenger 1:”Afternoon folks, how we doing today?”

Becky was scared, it was the same car and she had their food right behind her back.

John:”We’re doing just fine”

The man grinned again. He was white had a bandana strapped around his head. He told one of his men from the back of the truck to come out, this one had a pistol drawn already. He was black, tall and strong built shoulders.

Scavenger 1:”Sorry to stop you like this, but you see me and my friends have got a bit of problem”

Scavenger 2:”Big problem”

John:”You care to tell us?” John played along, his hand was on the strap of the grey rifle, ready to pull it down.

Scavenger 1:”Well we live just north of here, right outside of town and it seems… Someone took our rifle, and food”

John:”We didn’t search any of those houses in the country, they looked picked clean”

The man folded in his knuckles.

Scavenger 1:”Is that so?... James, why don’t you check them for me?”

Scavenger 2:”Be a pleasure” He started to move over.

John:”We ain’t got your food or your rifle.”

Scavenger 1:”Then why’s the girl holding something behind her back? Hmm? And that rifle you got there, looks quite the same as our one, which as it happens… Has ‘mysteriously’ disappeared.”

The man with the pistol, James, walked up to Becky.

James:”What’d you got girl? Show it.”

Fuck fuck fuck… She thought.

He had a gun right on her, but the other guy didn’t, what about the other two still in the car?

Scavenger 2:”Give it u-“

John:”Don’t you touch her!”

James looked at John with a vicious smile.

Scavenger 2:”How about I hit you old ma-“

She snapped. Becky struck him in the head with the metal can. He flinched and fired the gun to the side, blood began to show from his forehead.

Before the other scavenger could do anything John pulled down his rifle in a flash and shot him in the leg.

John:”Becky run!”

He ran down between two houses and Becky followed, she didn’t look behind her, but she heard the two men come out of the truck.

The two were in the backyard of a house.

John:”Becks, through here!”

John rushed to a hole in the fence of the garden.

The two went through the gap and found themselves running through some bushes and out into the town centre where a dried up fountain was.

Becky:”Dad! We can hide in there!”

He didn’t say anything back, he just agreed and took her with him over and in the fountain. Tucking their knees and not showing their heads.

She kept quiet, but she was breathing heavily. She tried to calm herself down, it was half working, but she couldn’t take her mind off what just happened.

John put a finger to his own lips, reminding Becky to keep quiet.

Scavanger 3:”Shit! Where the fuck are they?!”

Scavenger 4:”They went this way I’m sure!”

Scavanger 3:”You keep looking, I’ll check back on them”

The father and daughter slept there that day.

Scene 7

The scene continues the next day where the two have headed into the city.

She heard the sound of a convoy during last night. Her clothes were still wet from the rain that poured. The grey sky didn’t really seem to dry her clothes.

They were in the cityscape now, where skyscrapers and abandoned cars littered the entire place. She couldn’t even tell what city it was.

Becky:”Think we lost them?”

John:”Lets just find some new clothes Becks ok?”

They went into the city looking for some clothing shops, where they could change out the wet clothes they wore.

Eventually they found a store where John decided they should stay for a bit. It had boarded up windows on both levels, but most of the clothes had been taken, but there still some left for them to change.

After an hour or so of settling in in the shop the two had changed their clothes.

They were sitting by the counter.

Becky looked at the long mirror on the wall that people would use to see how their shoes would look.

John:”Hey Becks, I’m gunna look at that truck outside, it looked like it might be in some sort of shape” He said, holding an open can of tomatoes.

Becky:”Shouldn’t we check that store opposite us? It looked like it might have some things in there.”

John:”Alright we do that first, let’s go” John left the grey rifle along with his wet jacket that had the ammo in it on the floor and strapped on his new jacket.

Scene 8

The two have been searching in the backroom of the opposite store for a good ten minutes.

John:”Becks, why don’t you keep searching around, I’ll take a look at that truck now”

Becky:”Sure”

John headed back outside with his can, sucking juice on his thumb.

There is shit here. She thought.

Becky was hoping to find a bookstore, since not many people at the end of world would go around looking for old dusty books.

She would have got out her book, but she left it upstairs in the clothes shop opposite them, inside the counter. Becky kept on searching around in the back of the store, but she stopped suddenly.

She heard a gunshot, it didn’t sound like the rifle her Dad used earlier. It was someone else.

Shit… Worries began to trouble her.

She ran out of the store and saw a man lying dead on the floor next to the truck.

Her father.

Becky:”Daady!” She screamed, running over to him.

Girl:”No…. No! No! No!” She rested her head on his chest, weeping into his jacket.

Scene 9

The scene continues after scene 1 where Becky remains traumatized by her Dad’s death.

The ringing in her ears continued, she felt like she was going to collapse.

Becky heard a voice from the side of her, coming closer, but it didn’t matter, nothing could change to what she had lost.

James:”You little bitch! Get the fuck up!”

Becky hardly seemed to notice.

Scavenger 1:”James, just pick the girl up you got a fucking gun”

James:”Where’s Daddy?” James roughly grabbed her by the shoulders.

She didn’t care.

Scavenger 1:”You tell us where the cans are, or I’ll-“

She heard another shot, it sounded like a rifle, the rifle Dad used. The man let go of her, she fell to the floor and next to her was the scavenger with half a hole in his face and blood seeping its way out of the back of his head.

James:”Get down!” He shouted, throwing Becky to the side.

Scene 10

The scene continues but from Marcus’s perspective.

Scavenger 1:”I said get down!” He commanded. They couldn’t see where Marcus shot from. He was upstairs in the clothing shop, shooting through the gaps in the boarded up windows.

The rifle was a one shot, reload sort of gun, bolt action.

Behind the wall, in cover, Marcus loaded another bullet. There were two windows on both sides of the wall that Marcus was up against.

Scavenger 3:”Where the fuck did that come from?!”

Marcus poked his gun through the gap again and aimed at a man by the side of the truck, but before he could fire someone did, and at him. The bullet went flying through the wooden board next where his rifle was lent on. Pieces of rotten wood went soaring across the room, along with a bundle full of light entering the room.

Scavenger 4:”The bastards up there!”

Marcus couldn’t fire out of the right side again, they would have a clear shot at him. Marcus was leaning again the brick wall, lying on the floor. He dragged himself to the left side and peered through the gap. They couldn’t see him.

He took another shot, aiming for a man who was behind a wrecked car, but he could see his head poking out.

The shot was too hard for Marcus though, the bullet ringed off the metal car, and they responded with a few shots, sending pieces of rotten wood across the room.

Marcus dragged himself back to the right side again and quickly reloaded, and followed to take a shot on the same guy again who was lent out more. This one was easier to hit. The man fell to the floor along with his pistol.

James:”Fuck!” Marcus heard from one of the men. Marcus was peering through one of the gaps as he was reloading where he saw someone grab the pistol on the floor by the wrecked car.

Scavenger 3:”James, get your ass in, I’ll cover” They weren’t very quiet about their tactics.

Marcus thought what he could do, by the time he would get downstairs, the man would have to go to him.

Before Marcus could even begin to think of a plan, he heard running from outside, followed by some supressing fire from the pistol, sending more splinters of wood in through the room.

He ran up to the side of the wall, left side of the entrance to the upstairs he was in.

Marcus could hear someone rushing in the bottom of the store. He gripped his rifle, ready to hit the man.

Marcus heard him rushing up the stairs ready to shoot him.

He saw the man’s shadow just as he was about to enter the upstairs.

Marcus surprised him and struck him in the head with the butt of his rifle. He was almost knocked out by it, the man lifted up his pistol, but before he could rifle, Marcus butted him again in the head, knocking him straight out. The man dropped his pistol from the sheer shock, for which Marcus decided to pick up for himself.

He went downstairs, the pistol was in his back under his jacket along with his revolver. Marcus was about to go up to the window to shoot the last man, but he came rushing up to wall of the front entrance. Marcus tucked himself down behind the counter.

The man, briefly looked in and saw no one was in, but Marcus didn’t know that. He heard the creeping of footsteps, croaking along the floorboards. Marcus couldn’t use the rifle, he hadn’t reloaded it yet, but the pistol he found could be used.

He didn’t know where in the store the man was, thankfully Marcus had some visual aid. To the right of him was a long mirror where people would see how their shoes would look, and from it Marcus could see where the man was.

Marcus pulled himself over a few paces against the back of the counter. He took a deep breath as the footsteps came over. He drew and fired twice at the man, chest and stomach. He fell to the floor and quickly bled out.

Marcus:”Thew…” Marcus swept the sweat from his forehead.

He walked outside where he saw the girl leaning over her Dads body.

What’s wrong with me? He questioned.

He bravely walked over to the girl, half expecting her to shoot him. He didn’t know if she knew he shot her Dad.

Marcus:”I’m sorry…” He didn’t have a damn clue what to say.

He stepped closer to her.

She was silent.

Marcus:”I’m sorr-, look I just wanted see if you were ok… Those men are gone now, they won’t hurt you”

Becky:”They killed him… They-…They killed him” Marcus could hear her welling up.

Marcus:”They’re gone now, you don’t hav-“

Becky:”Which one was it”

Marcus:”Which one?”

Becky:”You were up in that shop, did you see who shot him?”

She doesn’t know…

Marcus:”I mean, I heard the shot… I came through the back of the store when I heard it. It sounded like a revolver or something…”

She got up from her Dad and began searching one of the corpses by the truck.

Oh shit… He began to panic. If she searches all of them and she doesn’t find the gun…

Marcus:”I’ll check the ones inside” She went to search other body by the wrecked car.

Marcus went inside the store. The man on bottom already had a gun, he couldn’t plant the gun on him… The one upstairs?

Marcus went to the stair set and saw the man up the top still knocked out. Marcus went up to the top of stairs and followed putting the revolver in his hand.

The girl walked in, seeing Marcus at the bottom of stairs.

Marcus:”It was him”

She walked past Marcus and looked up the stair set, where she saw the revolver. She went up top and took the gun from his hands and came back down, looking at Marcus.

Becky:”Thanks” She said innocently, trying to cover up her grief.

Marcus:”He-he deserved it” She raised a slight grin.

Becky:”I’m Becky” She elevated her small hand, going for a shake.

Marcus welcomed it.

Marcus:”Name’s Marcus”

Becky looked back outside with her weary eye that were wore-out of crying. She looked back at Marcus.

Becky:”You can have some food, if you want”

Marcus lifted up a great smile.

Last edited:

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Update: Episode 3 is being worked on, so it may take a little while before that comes out.
Anyway, hope you're enjoying what's out so far.

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Episode 3 Emperor's and Kings

Episode 3

Opening scene

Marcus is dreaming. He’s with his daughter walking the waste land looking for some supplies.

The cold winds brushed past his cheeks. The days were growing colder, and they were running out of time. He looked at his little girl, her small hands wrapped up and covered by his.

We’ll make it. He always tells her, just to keep her spirits warm. But his own spirit for this world were dwindling. Food was running short, they needed shelter, and just anything would do.

Lauren:”I’m cold Dad” She said, shivering away as they walked.

Marcus:”Me too… This is winter is being too harsh on us if you ask me” He tried to put some light heartiness in the situation, but who would want to laugh in a time like this?

Lauren:”Have we got much left?” She said, looking up at him.

Marcus clenched his jaw.

Marcus:”Enough for a day or two, but we’ll find something, like always” He said in a reassuring manner. And just when his spirit was dying down, he saw something that caught his eye. A gas station.

Marcus:”That is where we’ll sleep tonight, we might even some grub there, who knows”

Finally. He thought, some salvation for the night.

A few hours into the night, the two were sitting in the middle of the shop. All of the shelves were chips, candy and others were sold were empty and on the floor. They used one of the shelves as a stand for their fire so they wouldn’t have to keep leaning down to stay warm.

Marcus:”How’s that fire treating girl?” He said, with his own hands warming up to the light.

Lauren:”Just great, thanks Dad” She said while taking a chomp out of her chocolate she found in the back.

Marcus:”You gunna give me some of that?”

Lauren:”Finders keepers Dad” She said, spitting bits of crumbs out in the process.

Marcus:”Don’t talk with your mouth ful-“

The glass doors to the station slammed opened, smashing against the sides of the wall.

Man:”Put your hands up!” He said, holding a revolver, pointed at Marcus’s head.

He turned his head slowly to see the man, and noticed a little girl with him as well.

Marcus:”You don’t have t-“

Man:”UP! NOW!”

The thief had his hood up. He had a black goatee, he was brown skinned as well as his daughter next to him.

Marcus raised his hands, signalling Lauren to do so as well.

Man:”Good. Good… Max, check em for weapons”

The little girl looked just as scared as Lauren. She stood there, her hands shaking by her sides. The father looked at her, with eyes so sharp they would split a table into two.

She moved over to the two, checking their pockets and bags. But nothing was found. Marcus didn’t have a weapon or anything.

Man:”Take their food”

Marcus:”No. We need that-“

Man:”So do we man, so do we… Max, take it”

Her shy eyes and legs, moved over to grab the bag by Lauren.

Lauren:”You don’t want to” She said, looking into the girl’s eyes. “You don’t have to”

Max”We do…” She said in a hushed tone, not agreeing with it.

Marcus:”If you think you gunna take our shit and walk clean out, then you are wrong”

Man:”You don’t get this do you boy?” He said shaking the revolver around with his hand.

Man:”How long you think you gunna make it if you don’t steal and take and win? You don’t get shit do you boy-“

Max let go of her grasp of the bag of supplies. Still facing away from her father.

Max:”We shouldn’t…”

The room was silent, for a moment. Then, by a jolt the man grabbed his daughter by the back of her pony tail, forcing her to stand right by him. Tears started to stream down her cheeks.

Man:”You have to learn girl” Sharp as knife.

Man:”You, are gunna shoot this man, and take his things” He said, pushing the revolver into her hands.

Man:”This is how it works Max, we live longer because of it…Point it at his head” She was shaking her head, her hands as well, still holding the heavy weapon.

Max:”Dad please…”

Man”Do it!”

The girl aimed the gun at Marcus, she clearly didn’t want this, none of it. Lauren was crying, and Marcus was near to as well.

Marcus:”You don’t want this…”

Man:”DO IT!!” The man said, slapping her on the side of her shoulder, and with that slap, she fired.

Scene 1

A few hours after Becky and Marcus met, the two decided to stay in the shop across the street from the clothing shop until the next day so they get their heads straight. The day was falling away and the dark was fading in, as well as the rainfall.

Marcus:”These are delicious” Marcus said, sticking his grubby hands into the can. Trying to fill himself as much as he could.

He was starving, he didn’t care about manners, he was just glad his belly wouldn’t be empty.

Becky remained quiet, staring out the window from the edge of the green sofa.

The two were upstairs in the staff room lounge. It was rather small as expected of a small business like this. An empty water cooler was up against the wall, where work gossip would occur. The four walled room were violet, but losing their colour. In the middle of the room, on top of an tarp was a lit candle inside a lantern case, glooming light as far as the candle fire could each, barely touching the sides of the walls. Marcus was sitting down, back against the wall next to the door, he looked up from his tomato juiced hands and at Becky. She was sad, why wouldn’t she be? Losing the only person you had left in this dreadful world. What made things worse were that he was the one who pulled the trigger, not that other guy on the stairs.

She watched the rain pat against the window.

Marcus:”You ur… not hungry?”

She shook her head ever so slightly. Still facing the outside view.

I’m a fucking monster, he thought.

Shooting him like that… Not even giving him a chance to spit a word. He was still out there like the other men he shot.

Marcus:”We can bury him in morning” He said, sucking the juice away from his fingers.

Marcus was trying, but what could he say to the girl?

Marcus:”So… Where did you get all this food? I mean I haven’t found anything like this in a while”

That sparked some attention. She didn’t look at him, but at least she said some words.

Becky:”We… stole it… From those men. The gun as well” She said, sniffing her nose.

Marcus:”Must’ve been hungry” He said, putting the can to the side of him.

Becky:”Yeah”

A moment of silence between the two, but then Becky turned her head to the side, still facing away from him, but some attention was given.

Becky:”I didn’t want to… Steal it I mean. My Dad did”

He nodded back.

Marcus:”Did you take all of their food? You leave anything behind for them?”

She shook her head again.

Marcus could see her answer in her.

Marcus:”You wanted to leave some behind though?”

Becky bit her lip.

Becky:”Yeah…” She said, then facing him. “Maybe they wouldn’t have come after me and my Dad if we left some for them”

Marcus:”You can’t think like that. Not your fault, ok?”

She looked up sharply.

Becky:”It was… Now he’s gone and out there”

Becky looked towards the window again, rubbing her eyes, they were dried out of tears. She stood up and brought over her pink rucksack. She sat back down and unzipped it, pulling out a book.

Marcus caught some interest there. Not often you’d find someone reading at the end of the world.

Marcus:”Whatcha doing?”

Becky:”Reading” She said, trying to find the page she was last at.

Marcus:”Why? I mean it’s like there’s a reason to read, no schools, no jobs” He leaned back on his backpack as a rest for his own back.

Marcus:”Guess that’s one benefit of the end… No homework” He grinned. She didn’t say anything back, she was more interested in her book. Marcus squinted his eyes to see what she was reading, it brought a smile to his face.

Marcus:”Charles V? Hmm…He was quite man”

Becky looked up from her book, seeming a bit puzzled by what he said.

Becky:”You know about him?” She said with some interest. She was curious, but mostly looking for a distraction from her own thoughts. Marcus grabbed his can, looking up at the ceiling, his legs laid across the floorboards.

Marcus:”1527, Charles made a cunning and brilliant move in Europe. Sacking the city of Rome and holding the pope captive. That move made things really difficult for good old Henry” Marcus looked at her.

Marcus:”History teacher”

She grinned.

Becky:”I don’t get why he did it though… I mean, he was the Holy Roman Emperor, Catholic as well right? So why would he capture the pope?”

Marcus hadn’t thought about this topic in a while, he was definitely engrossed in the discussion here, like old times.

Marcus:”There is a few theories, reasons why did it. We’ll never really know since it was back in the fifteen-hundreds, so it’s not like we can ask him” Marcus took a small bite from his can.

Marcus:”Did he do it because the Pope was the key to religious supremacy of Europe? Did he do it so Henry couldn’t divorce himself away from Charle’s aunt? Hmm… What’d you think?”

Becky:”Both I think”

Marcus nodded.

Marcus:”Well, either way you know what happened?... His men slaughtered the people there. Destroyed and burned homes, churches…Everything. Killing the men who just happened to be there… Through that slaughter Charles V now had the key to Europe and caused a strain in Henry’s goals… Charles survived and lived longer because of moves like that. Longer than the other kings in Europe…”

Marcus looked at Becky.

Marcus:”History is pretty awesome”

She chuckled a bit.

Becky:”Yeah it’s pretty cool” She said smiling.

She closed her book, putting it to the side, next to her rucksack.

Becky:”You miss teaching?”

Marcus:”Hmm. Loved that job, not all of my students liked history, but just teaching people about the past is just, I dunno just something I love. I wish I could go back to that”

Becky: “Hopefully we can someday, you know, go back to it all”

Marcus:”This is it now I’m afraid Becky. I mean look at me, a history teacher carrying a rifle and two pistols, sticking his hands into a can of tomatoes”

Becky grinned at that, she felt a bit better in his company.

Marcus:”What’d you wanna do tomorrow? I mean, I know you don’t know me and all, but you can come with me if you want.”

She took her book at placed it back in her bag, zipping it up tightly. She looked up, biting her lip.

Becky:”Could you help me find my mom?” She said innocently.

Marcus:”Where is she?”

Becky:”She was… Taken, by some men… a month ago”

Cannibals…He thought, rubbing his beard, knowing what fate would have come to her.

Becky:”My Dad went out on his own… looking for some food, I stayed with my mom… He was gone for a while… Then these men came, and she told me hide… I just heard her screaming as they took her away… I just sat there, in the bathtub, curtains closed, crying” She sniffed and rubbed her eyes again.

Becky:”My Dad looked at me differently since that day… He said we’ll find her, he promised”

Marcus rubbed his beard again, knowing the hard truth about it.

Marcus:”Look, I know this isn’t what you wanna hear… But we probably won’t find her… It’s best we just, keep on going you know?”

She let out a soft smile, but she wasn’t happy, it was just another disappointment. She went straight to sleep, no other words were spoken between those two that night.

Scene 2

The scene continues with Marcus talking with Daniel, (remember this is a week and a half from where Becky and Marcus were)

Daniel:”So who shot her Dad? One of them pricks?”

Marcus:”Yeah” He said, knowing it was another lie he was telling.

He laughed, manically. Daniel brushed his hands through his black short Mohawk.

Daniel:”Shit man… Fucking Robin Hood comes in to save the day! The hero that has come to save us all!”

Marcus was getting tired of this, where was Becky? He’s in a place he doesn’t know, being captured and interrogated by some madman.

Marcus:”Look, just tell me where she is alright?”

Daniel put his hands to his forehead, squinting.

Daniel:”Marcus my dear boy… Help me, help you. I ask… you say”. He raised his voice.

Daniel:”You, DON’T ASK THE FUCKING QUESTIONS!” He said, stomping his fists on the table, kicking the chair back from underneath.

Marcus’s hands were still tied, there wasn’t much he could do here.

Daniel leaned over the table, Marcus was looking to side, and the blood was dried up on the floor.

Daniel:”Look at me”

Marcus turned his head, staring at the crazed eyed man.

Daniel:”I haven’t got a fucking clue who. You are!. You, are either them, telling some bullshit story… Or someone else! So… I’ll ask, you tell, ok friend?” He said, pulling back from Marcus, easing back into his chair.

Marcus:”Sure” She said, unwillingly, coldy.

Daniel was back in his chair, now comfortable, switching back to good cop.

Daniel:”Excellent. So… What happened after the lovely day the little girl had? Losing her Dad, meeting, hehe, good old Marcus here?”

Marcus crunched his bonded fists, wishing he could get free.

Scene 3

The scene continues after scene 1, it’s the morning, Becky has been up for a few minutes while Marcus has just opened his eyes.

He woke with a fright. He dreamed of shooting Becky’s Dad… Another nightmare to add to the collection.

Marcus looked up and saw Becky packing up a few things of hers. She was packing up to leave.

Marcus:”Becky…”

She ignored him. She zipped up her rucksack and tucked it over her shoulders. She walked towards the stairs.

Marcus:”I’ll help you” She stopped in her tracks. Becky turned around and looked at Marcus, she didn’t say a word, she only smiled.

Scene 4

The scene continues ten minutes after. The two have found a spot for Becky’s Dad to be buried. Marcus had dug a hole for him with a shovel he found in a garden shed. He was being buried in the back of that garden.

Becky couldn’t seem to cry, she wanted to, but she couldn’t.

Marcus:”You get his legs for me?”

She nodded.

Becky gripped firmly on his ankles. The two carefully put her Dad in the grave.

I’ll miss you Dad. She thought.

Marcus:”You wanna say any words?”

What could she say? Goodbye? I’ll miss you? She already said that. Then it came to her.

She looked down at him, seeing his fainting eyes.

Becky:”I’ll find mom… I promise” She closed her eyes and swore that she would.

Marcus patted her on the shoulder.

Marcus:”Grab that other shovel”

The two spent their time filling the hole. Leaving him to rest from the world they stood in.

Scene 4

The two were out of the cityscape, and had moved towards a country road. The trees were blackened and dead, no leaves were left. The ground was grey like gravel. They were heading south.

Marcus shrugged. He was carrying a lot of baggage. His own backpack, which had some ammo and cans, sheets. He also had two pistols and the grey rifle. He looked down at Becky who was walking beside him. She was just carrying her pink rucksack.

Marcus:”Becky, why don’t you carry this for me?” Marcus pulled his revolver, the one he used on her Dad. He didn’t really want to carry it, and it was a weight he didn’t need.

Becky looked up, seeming confused.

Becky:”You want me to have a gun?”

It was pretty clear to Marcus and her Dad never gave her one.

Marcus:”Your Dad, he never let use one?”

She shook her head. Pulling the straps of her rucksack back on top of her shoulder, they kept slipping.

Becky:”Said I’d hurt myself. I mean what’d he think I do? Shoot my face off? I’m not smart, but I’m sure as hell not stupid” She said, then quickly thinking of her Dad.

Marcus:”Well, once we find a few more rounds for it. I can teach you to shoot” He handed over the gun as they walked.

Her eyes widened as she held the revolver in her small hands.

Becky:”You sure?” She looked like a kid waiting for her parent’s permission to play with her new toy.

Marcus:”Course. It’s important, it’s gunna keep you safe”

As they walked, Becky was observing the large pistol in her hands. She was trying to get the thing open.

Marcus:”It’s got two in the chamber, you flick that thing there. Yeah that bit, and the chamber opens up”

Becky:”Awesome”

As the two walked down this grey hill, Becky was starting to a bit more comfortable around Marcus. It seemed like he wasn’t one of the bad guys, but how could she know? Sure he came in and killed those men, but he could be someone else entirely. Becky had to know, to be certain.

They continued on the road, passing dead standing and fallen trees, covered and swept in ash and dust.

She bit her lip before she asked.

Becky:”So how many times have you… shot that gun?” She knew very well that she shouldn’t have asked that question, it’s always a tricky subject.

Marcus rubbed his bearded chin as they walked, thinking on the question.

Marcus:”You mean at someone right?”

She nodded.

Marcus shrugged, lifting the heavy weight he carried on his back.

Marcus:”Well, before those men back at the city… Three”

Becky:”Is it hard to do?” She looked at her revolver. It was old, a bit heavy, well used.

Marcus:”It’s always hard. Shooting someone… Never should be easy, you do it if you need to protect yourself, or someone else”

Marcus’s thoughts quickly jumped back to her Dad, knowing he used a bullet for selfish reasons.

Becky:”Did you have to protect yourself?” She put the revolver under her green coat, behind her back. She saw Marcus do that and figured she’d do the same since he’s the one who’s alive.

Marcus:”Yeah.” He said, rubbing the back of his head.

Becky:”Well I hope I don’t have to shoot anyone…”

Marcus didn’t say anything to Becky, he knew that at some point she’d have to pull the trigger. Marcus wasn’t even sure what he was doing with the girl. Her mom is probably being chewed up, and the bones spat out. He felt guilty, why wouldn’t he? At John’s grave, Marcus swore he would protect her, it was the least he could do.

The two had reached the bottom of the hill and were heading towards a suburban area. They heard a tree fall from the distance. Many fell now, since the world had died, it was just people left now.

Scene 5

Marcus and Becky were looting, scavenging the local houses. Nearing night, the two were finishing up a few houses.

Nothing but shit. She cursed to herself. Becky pushed the draw back in the dresser and dust fled of the top of it. She coughed as the dust went in her mouth.

Becky:“Uhh, gross…” Becky was used to this sort of thing, searching around, looking scraps and crumbs left behind by others.

Marcus was searching around in the front room, Becky could hear him lifting and pushing things. Becky: “Gotta be something around here…” She moaned to herself.

Becky: “I’m gunna check the other bedroom!” She said, making sure Marcus knew. She was in the parent’s room. The sheets were taken from the room, along with the clothes. Becky walked out of the room and headed out to the hallway. There were framed pictures on the wall. A Labrador, shining bright and running in a field. Another was a large family. Three sisters and a young boy in the middle. He looked to be Becky’s age, 12. She smirked seeing the picture.

Becky moved on in the hallway, her footsteps creaked along the floorboards. She came to the bedroom door but it was wedged. She tried opening it but it wouldn’t budge.

Becky: “Damn thing” She swiped the blonde hair off her ear. She tried to think, what would her Dad do? She could ask for Marcus’s help, but she at least wanted to do this on her own. Becky looked down the hallway where Marcus was, but considered otherwise. She stepped back a few paces away from the door. Her back was up against the wall.

Becky: “3…” She took a deep breath.

“2…” She was ready.

“1…” She folded her knuckles.

Becky ran at the door with the largest amount of force she could had. She bounced off the door and fell on her back.

The pain hurt like hell on her arm, but she saw that the door had budged open a bit. It must have been a while since it was opened as the lock had splinted off. She was rather proud of herself.

Marcus:“You alright? He shouted from the other room.

Becky brushed the graze on her knee as she got herself up.

Becky:“I’m good” Proudly, she stated.

Becky walked back up to the door, but she still had to push it open. There was something heavy on the other side of it. She had to use her other arm to push it wide enough for her to enter.

“Come on” She said to herself, trying to be motivated.

Finally, with enough force the door opened just enough. She slipped through the gap between the door and the doorframe and moved in the room. Though, she wished she hadn’t once she saw what she saw.

Becky felt a shiver creep through her mind and her heart. On the child sized bed was a young boy, rotten. He had been dead for a long time. Dry blood was the pillow his head laid on, and on the floor, next to the bed was a revolver similar to hers.

She covered her mouth with hand and started to shake. Becky looked at the young boy. Even though the body was old, it was clear that it was the one in the picture. She should have called for Marcus, but she didn’t. Still shaking, she took a few breaths, in and out, and walked a bit closer. The boy must have taken his own life. Becky could understand why. The boy was skinny to the bone, hunger must have gotten the best of him. The door was wedged with a small dresser, on top of it was a dusty old book. She picked it up and looked at the boy.

The Decline and fall of the Roman Empire. She swept the tear from her cheek. This could have been her… She left the book back on the dresser from where it was. Becky moved over to the revolver, laying on the floor. She held her hand to stop the trembling. Becky picked up the revolver and opened up the chamber. Five bullets... She didn’t have to ask where the sixth was. She could see the bullet hole in the bedframe just above the pillow. She felt another shudder as she stood up, seeing the boy in the corner of her eye. Becky walked up to the door, but stopped before she was about to leave. She didn’t look back, but she didn’t move. The revolver in her hand… The boy behind her.

She left the room, knowing that may be her, or some other child one day.

Scene 6

The two were still up, Marcus looked like he was sleeping, but his eyes were open. Becky was up, still reading her book. They were in the front room and they had lit a candle that was in the room. It was past midnight.

Marcus didn’t want to sleep. He knew what dreams he would see. Bodies… Blood… Tears. Two little girls crying.

Becky:”Did you have a family?” She said innocently.

Marcus was lying on the floor, he had taken his jacket off and put in the corner with his bag and rifle. He turned on his back seeing Becky sitting down, leaned against the sofa with a book in her hand.

Marcus:”What?”

Becky:”At the start of this… Were you with your family?”

This was something that went to the bone of his body. He’d never mention his daughter to anyone.

Marcus:”No” He said in a sharp tone. He saw a slick of fright in her eyes. Marcus turned back over, his eyes still open.

Becky slowly closed her book, and went to put it over in the corner by Marcus’s stuff. The grey rifle they took was leaning against Marcus’s large bag which had their food. She was about to leave her stuff there and just head to sleep, but she didn’t. Becky looked at the jacket, she carefully lifted it up and stuffed her hands in the inner pocket.

She felt a thin paper like thing… A picture. Two actually. She took them both out and looked at them.

One was of a man, wife and son embracing each other. But the man, Becky didn’t recognise. Maybe a friend of his? He thought.

Then she looked at the other picture. Marcus clean shaven, wearing a nice tucked in shirt. Next to him was a little girl. A bit younger than her. She placed the other picture back, but kept looking at this one.

Poor guy… Her mind said.

Marcus could hear Becky behind him, probably just putting her stuff away.

He heard her slowly walk up to him. His back was facing her. And if his eyes wouldn’t close, what Becky did didn’t help.

Becky:”I’m sorry about your daughter”

He shuddered, and his face shook and his hands trembled. Becky went over to the sofa, but Marcus didn’t move, or say a word. As his hands shook, he stayed facing away from her, his mind and heart fell back to that day he lost her.

Scene 7

This is straight after the opening scene, where the gun was shot.

Marcus had his eyes closed expecting the end, but he heard the gun fire. How could he still be alive if he heard it? He opened his eyes slowly, and saw Max had dropped the gun, crying and shaking. Her Dad was shocked as well, but Marcus didn’t know why until he realised he had some sort of warm liquid on his left cheek. He touched it, and the tips of his fingers showed blood.

Marcus:”No…” He turned.

Marcus:”No, no, no!” He fell to the body of his daughter. She was shot to the chest, and her pour heart had given out.

Man:”I didn’t mea-“

Marcus:”You… You didn’t mean?!” He said with a rage fuelling him.

Man:”This weren’t suppose-“ Before he could even finish, Marcus picked up the revolver from the floor by the his daughters head, shooting blank into the man’s eyes, sending skull and blood out of the back of his hand and onto the glass doors.

Marcus looked at Max, pointing at her next.

Marcus:”Run”

And she did.

But Marcus couldn’t, instead he fell back to the floor, holding his daughter’s head, staring into her faded eyes. Laying boundless and bare, she was away and gone from him. He was alone.

Last edited: