Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Unabridged

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I would like to preface everything with a notice that this is going to be an outright doorstopper of a post. Set aside a decent chunk of time if you wish to peruse the contents.

In the interest of fair play and so forth, the following post is completely unabridged of what I am actually thinking at the moment of writing it. I've really no desire but to speak anything but the stark truth to you. Please be prepared as such.
Part 1 - Magic, and it's future in Hollowworld.

I believe, at this point in time, I can call my attempt at reforming the use of magic on this server to have been a strict failure, for numerous reasons. This might be surprising to people that have seen the system or been learning in it, because it appears to have been met with fairly standard praise, especially from people that were aware of the mess it used to be. [See: People with combat precognition and the ability to freeze time.]

Were it only based on it's technical composition or idealized mechanics I'd say it would be a raving success - unfortunately - the problem with the magic system has come down to strictly out-of-character reasons. I will expound on this topic further down - my opinion on the issues affecting magic is that it is not constrained specifically to this, but I relent:

This system:

1) Causes biased feelings, dislike, and interpersonal complications amongst people due to denial from things they want

2) Requires substantial upkeep in the realm of time from people - causes resentment directed at people when they "Take too long." I'm not going to try and make people prioritize a game over anything they are doing in their actual life, and if the system is too resource-intensive it rapidly becomes untenable.

3) Causes people to pressure teaching-capable individuals OOCly for knowledge or faster progression

4) The way it was set up to prevent metagaming leads to other accusations even when material is publicly available in a confidential section for fact-checking.

5) A system designed to require roleplay to advance in any way sounded amazing on paper and ended up leading to many issues when put into practise.

6) Gross misassumptions about the playerbase.

It has been my unenviable position to bear substantive witness to our server's take on "Tall Poppy Syndrome" for at least a year and a half now - for good or ill, what always happens is that people:

A) Seem to absolutely hate it when someone, anyone, is in a better position than themselves

B) Tend to bandwagon against whatever the dominant power in the world is.

C) They do this not only IC, but OOC.

This is, in my opinion, why I see an ever-decreasing number of people try and pull off any kind of grandiose plan or organization - Whenever someone meets with success and starts to climb up - Tall Poppy Syndrome.

It happened to whichever was the dominant house during the Game of Crowns. (First to Lonmar, then to Arduin.)

It happened to every attempt to arrange a police force for Port Silver.

It happened to the Church of Altera (2x)

It happened to Arcturus as they started gearing up for their Golden Crusade.

Now it appears to be happening to the Engem?

Ultimately it appears to be a pretty darn consistent thing on this server.

That I didn't take this into account with magic bespeaks either to my incompetence, naïveté, or optimism. I'm not sure which to credit.

The upshot of all this is that the system I designed specifically to avoid people getting prosecuted for their abilities (Like, for example, Basil and his ability to explode people's eyeballs) after strictly setting down the rules and guidelines for acquiring and using the abilities and it all appears to have been meaningless.

It is pretty consistent thing that persons with capabilities will experience this effect, and there's no getting around it in this system.

I've always wanted to implement a system of statistics like a tabletop game or an MMO wherein people's stats could be justified to prevent this kind of behaviour, to strictly justify people's stance and separate IC and OOC capability argument - but it's always faced two problems - people that vociferously argue for freeform roleplay for varying reasons, and the fact that trying to implement a server-wide skills system is ultimately going to run into everybody arguing what their skills are.

Unfortunately even codifying something as best I could - giving it a number of people supporting it - has still lead to these kinds of issues.

As such - my strict judgement is this magic system is not appropriate for the server, and so, it is with a fair bit of disappointment that I announce that every aspect of the combined four discipline system of magic, every ability, every part of the system that provides any functional benefit to characters on this server is planned to be phased out entirely, from every active character that possesses it - until what we have left is an absolute, completely magicless blank slate.

I myself neither have any plans or new systems prepared to replace this with, nor do I have any desire to create one, or participate in a notable way in the construction of a new one. It is, in fact, my opinion that - not for setting based reasons, not for fit, but for the attitude the playerbase takes with regards to the roleplay environment, that /any/ system of magic that isn't extremely simple and available to even the most unlearned character with no real benefit for learning further will simply and ultimately fail for out-of-character reasons. The only thing I think people accept is the Enchantment table. Maybe something can be arranged for that, but I will not be the one to do it.

The why for that is very simple. I want to participate in whatever any potential replacement system is, with absolutely no outside knowledge of how or why it works, so that I can, once again, legitimately earn whatever I get and stop being hit with all the varied accusations quite frequently levelled at me. Either I'll get it or I won't, but If I want people to leave me alone about it I guess I have to treat it with the same vehement attitude like I do with MCMMO.

I really shouldn't have to do this, but I suppose it's necessary and It serves as a sufficient segue into Part 2.

Part 2 - Lore:

I think I'll start this one with a funny tidbit - I never really desired the post of Lore Management. I joined the Lore team as a writer - I was working on whatever struck my fancy - I'd do a bit of backmatter or materials - I think the first major change of mine that got approved to be published was the complete and utter reworking of Skraag from a very extreme clichéd evil necromancer god into what he is today - there was a series of riddles that told the astute reader a parable that revealed the dogma of Skraag - the origin of the phrase "Death is unnecessary." Ultimately that 'Questline', and I use the word very loosely because I implemented it with shopkeeper NPCs - it had people carry each book of riddle/sermon plus a rewarded mob skull to the next stop in the riddle chain until one acquired the last book from the former site of the Demon statue in our Underworld Moria. The end result of opening this questline was a number of players constantly running the first two discovered NPCs, discarding the books and acquiring otherwise unobtainable mob heads, and I had to suspend it. Ultimately I think only one person ever solved the entire riddle chain and thanked me for making it - it was part of the start of my friendship with one of you, and you know who you are. I still think, even though I failed in my implementation of this questline completely - that it was worth it alone for the character development and really engaging things I can see Dummyplug do.

Fitz then had to leave for University at the time - Itzzaboy and Legion were given joint responsibility for lore - Itzza had races and I think Legion had history and the corruption and so forth. I then started putting my things with them. I think Ittza then went somewhat idle or.. in any case I cannot remember the exact specifics but it transpired that Legion had full responsibility for the lore, and I think within a week he had had enough of that and, myself being the last active member of the Loreteam at that point I was approached to do it.

As soon as I was "In charge" of the whole kit'n'kaboodle I basically had to stop just writing things for the heck of it and the majority of my time soon became comprised of:

A) Answering people's questions by going to the people that did know the answer and learning from them.

B) Figuring out or having to write the material in order to be able to answer someone's question.

C) Having to tell people "No", this suggestion/action isn't in what I've been told the lore is. [Which later became just "This isn't what the lore is."]

D) Organizing and trying to make self-consistent the large volume of what we had written.

If you want one of those confessions I'd tell you I don't exactly like this job in the slightest - I find it stressful having to tell people no, I absolutely hate seeing people's reactions when I tell them their character doesn't work, but it was my responsibility to keep pumpkin-men and pandas out of the gameworld and I treat responsibilities seriously. Since about two weeks in I'd have been happy giving this job back to Legion and going back to being a writer and not having to make the hard calls but, really - I was the only person left that was willing to carry responsibility and was there to get an understanding of the vision involved in the lore - I kind of had to do this as nobody else could do it and keep things functioning.

It has, however, come to light and my knowledge that what I have been doing all this time might not have been worth it, or at least - perhaps I am more resented for the things I've had to do in the carriage of the responsibility I saw here than liked, or at least respected - for trying to better it.

And what that comes down to is - this is a voluntarily assumed responsibility. I don't do it because I like controlling the lore, nor being in charge of anything. I honestly just did this because well, I became the "Lore guy."

I honestly kind of liked just writing stuff - it was just so much easier when I could write it and someone could just reject it - or in any case I didn't need to worry about writing and running events to try and implement something I thought would make things better.

...I don't /have/ to help out like this. I honestly had more fun working out the configuration stuff for MCMMO than doing.. pretty much anything lore related in recent memory.

So that's what this one comes down to - I'm announcing my intentions to stop being the lore guy. I've been practising my WE and Voxelling skills and spending a good deal of time on the console looking through configs and such so I could do work on the plugins.

(My actual nonlore speciality at this point is modpacks and how they work - I stopped playing/driving FTB for the longest time because it was a deadzone but with people coming on there I can handle all kinds of debugging questions.)

Modding and Plugins to games are tremendous fun and I take lots of heart in doing it. I was hoping to be able to do lore long enough for the API to come out - and then plugin and mod work would be one and the same and I could start doing some really fun things but, y'know. This is ultimately the move I'll be making.

Will I be doing this now? No - there's nobody trained or ready for this yet, and there's tons of stuff someone able to take on this responsibility needs to learn. But yeah, I'll be doing it.

This goes along with my wish to not be involved in the magic system - I'm honestly just sick and tired of being treated as some kind of power monger when I'm only really doing this because I think I have to.

I like RPGs. Grinding is fun. I've literally spent a real month in the deserts of our world punching things because it was fun to imagine my character training like that. I've applied that philosophy everywhere and it was so terribly immersive.

I'd go around practicing, learning things from people.

...you can't really do that when you're the one that has to know everything. Heck, it's why I was invited to lore/promoted through lore in the first place - I was one of few characters to actually explore around and learn the lore.

I guess, in this sense, I'm tired of being the DM and really would like to be a PC again. Whenever I try and play I'm essentially accused of being the DMPC, even when I just want to have fun.

I'd rather just enjoy the game again, which brings me to Part 3.

Part 3: Naelwyn

I've had a lot of fun with this character - but it seems like I go to do, literally, anything that affects the world with him and people have a problem with me.

Honestly it's grown tiresome - intimidating to bring him out of the house - when I go anywhere with him I can't do what I set out to do, even if it's as simple as "Order a meal and have dinner at the crossroads inn."

I've been playing him while deliberately limiting myself - to the point wherein the entirety of the timeframe where thaumaturgy has existed I have used the ability of the school few enough times to be able to count them on my fingers. Limiting myself to the extent that the way I detected that Harateths were illusory was by throwing bags of flour at them. (Heh!)

I took it upon myself to simply try and not use abilities at all and frankly it wasn't that challenging in the slightest. People seem to be wary of Naelwyn as some kind of big scary wizard and, heck, people haven't even noticed the extent of pyrotechnics, tricks, bluffs, and illusions that he uses instead of performing actual magic. There was a period of a month and a bit where I in fact had no magic ability at all and simply bluffed through things. (There was also a 3-month timeframe where he possessed only beginner's illusions and was apparently still intimidating.)

The fact of the matter is, when it comes down to it - holding back tremendously and just existing purely to facilitate other people's roleplay and story - and only stepping in to act in things when it looks like someone innocent is being forced into roleplay they were uncomfortable with or really would rather not have -

It's just not fun not being able to have any initiative or motive.

There's still a scrapped vault filled with enough combat gear and consumables to plausibly challenge every other participant house in the Game of Crowns singlehandedly -

The real story behind my second withdrawal from that was my discussion with Sally where we both agreed "Anyone I would recruit as a Magus should be as politically neutral as possible. I should be as exemplary as that as I can." and so I resigned from the Game of Crowns.

And gave the allegiance money I was paid back to Hawklight.
And Lonmar.
And Arduin.

...Gods that would have been fun.

I digress. In keeping with my previous two decisions - the retiring of magic, and my no longer wishing to be managing lore - and instead looking for something else to run instead as a staff duty - I suppose if I really and truely wish to be completely free of what people throw at me I need to stop playing my long-term character as well.

So, again - I plan another denouement - it's been an interesting run for him and there's still some roleplay and a character arc left for him to fulfill - but after that he'll be retired as a character for no definite duration - until maybe the environment has changed or I feel he might work again.

I... I really don't want to stop playing this character. I just... I really feel like I'm just not accepted when I'm playing as him. I don't intend even at this point to retire this character in a permanent method. If I felt like I could play him and still be accepted I probably would. If not, I would have him be absent in a way that allows him to return if I ever stopped feeling like this. This.. isn't set in stone but - I still feel I have to do this.

I believe this brings me to point number 4.

Point 4: People and the inability to handle the In-Character / Out-of-Character divide.

This has been a problem... well, basically forever - but it's been growing really out of hand of late and I'm not sure precisely why - I digress.

I'm not the type to be impolitely specific, but I do have to go into a bit of detail so people can see just how broadly this affects things.

I think it is fairest and the best way to conduct this to start with myself. Twice, in my time on this server, I have been brought past the point of maintaining the IC/OOC divide that is truely essential for this kind of thing.

The first point in time was a Tournament, held in the era before the very first Game of Crowns - I myself was a member of Hawklight at the time - the event was proceeding normally before myself and every other participant were suddenly teleported into the centre of the arena and killed by mobs, and then the fellow under favour of the hosts was declared the winner. [People these days really have no idea what 'Staff Abuse' actually means, but again, I digress.] I was, to state it - a tad offput. I complained about how terrible the event was run in house chat. Then I got a PM where I was attacked about having complained in my house chat by the people who ran the event.

The very first thing I decided on at that point was a vicious campaign of IC nastiness directly squarely at their person.
What saved me was actually the thought, "If the staff are like this, it's probably not worth it and I'd rather just bail."
I apologized for it instead, but I'm not sure I really meant anything I said to people threatening me. For my own reasons rather than their threats I decided to withdraw from the Game of Crowns - I didn't like what it did to me. (Nor did I think it was worth participating in when the largest participant was also apparently allowed to write the rules.)

I think I could have done far worse.

The second instance of this was when my growing frustration at a particular individual continuing to commit flagrant, despicable crimes and continue to get away with them for mostly OOC reasons - I was trying to ignore them as best I could and then they kept making things personal.

I had planned to throw literally everything I had at the fellow and dare him to wriggle a way out of it. [Incidentally, the finale step of which would polymorph him into durable metal or stone, ward him against heat, and drop him in the heart of a volcano, where he could remain cogent for the rest of his days.]

Again, however, I allowed my in-character rage at things continuing to be made personal even though I was trying to ignore the fellow to overflow at the time into my personal mindset. I regret that part and apologized for it.

I choose to air my own failings in a specific, detailed manner first so that you all listen to me when I address yours in a much more general fashion.

For instance, this constant internal violence and bickering is getting bloody ridiculous and you all need to stop it.

We could really have something tremendously interesting going if you all could remember it's a damn game and act accordingly.

The biggest annoyance I have had in my management of things so far is how much time I have to spend writing rules and telling people off for things that should be common sense.

I don't think people have any idea how many times I've been asked things that were basically just to put their character at an edge over something - sometimes even as ridiculous as trying to justify having invented electrical theory and tesla coils. [I can call this one out because that fellow is superbanned.]

Seriously folks - calm down, take a step back, stop hurling vitriol at one another.

I don't think it's anybody's responsibility to make up rules and herd you around so you can play through this - it's gotten to the point where I have heard a suggestion to outright ban the use of OOC conversation from roleplay chat entirely and it makes eminent sense.

I have really strived to not only roleplay on this server but keep the entirety of my experiance in-character.

When I wanted to say Naelwyn was better at punching things I simply spent around 4 hours a day for a month, running around, punching things. It's the most immersed I've ever been in-character, and I'm not sure why people are missing this experience.

I'm wondering what kind of experience could be facilitated by removing from the game entirely the Local chat, and the enforcement of literally every single action you do being in-character. I've done it. It's a drastic change that makes the experience... really quite something.

I think for the better part of months my character goal was to "Be able to do everything in-character that I can do out-of-character as a moderator." This got even more difficult when I got promoted to administrator.

I guess if I had a point to make here it's a simple -

Try and get more immersed in-character. Get deeply in-character, and keep the fact that you're working with people out of it.

Focus less on winning and instead try focusing on telling a good story.

Maaaybe try stabbing people less.

Part 5 Interpersonal Conflict and Escalation:

This is another big one that I've noticed - people deliberately provoking others and then everyone and their friends being drawn into some kind of hate fest.

I kinda want to go slappityslap about both the upcoming "Order of Harateth" and "Order of Rahas" until it's understood because it totally looks like that's going to happen.

As above in Part 4 - If people are fighting it stops being "Why is this character doing this" and becomes "Why is X doing this."

I think the effect is worst with people whose account name matches their character name. (Scardrac et. al.)

I'm still not sure how to stop this - I mean, it's people taking things personally - I don't have mind control or something, I'm not going to be able to stop people from forming grudges over things - but I really just don't understand why people are getting so vehement about it.

Is it due to the freeform nature of the roleplay on our server that leads to people arguing about the effects of everything during fighting?

I don't think the solution to that is trying to stat out everything because it's outright impossible to stat everything.

Maybe if people would accept "winning" a fight at some degree less than "Total death or mutilation of all opponents."

I've debated outright turning off the Sisterhood entirely because it seems the only thing it changes it that people try and mutilate others instead of killing them -

Ultimately people are engaged in consistently trying to stop others from playing their character. I guess that's what it boils down to.

I don't think there's much a single post can do to address Points 4 and 5 - but I'd at least like to talk about the fact that I see this in our community and I'm not sure how to resolve it.

I think the first thing to remember is -

Characters are Characters, Players are Players, and the attitudes of a character do not necessarily represent the attitudes of a player. As a fine example, Naelwyn still resists the impulse to pummel Scardrac into something resembling funnel cake, but I myself think he's an okay fellow.

The second thing to remember is:

Characters and Players are people, not AIs, not robots, not NPCs in your grand story, but other people. What you want to happen in your personal story may not precisely correlate what someone else, or even anyone else, wants - and probably the worst thing you can do is try and force your vision of a story onto someone else.

Part 6 - Villains and Evil Characters, Combat, Fighting:

I think I'll start this one by stating a simple fact:

If you're playing a visible, fairly evil character, from the very moment you start the character you need to be prepared for that villain's arc to eventually end. You will eventually be brought to justice for the simple reason that a world wherein a villain 'wins' is simply less interesting to play in as compared to one where you have villains /trying/ to win and eventually losing and being cycled out for new ones.

The general non-conductance to losing, in any way, has been the major reason that I've found it impossible to show any initiative in things not events - because the event characters and event villains follow this precept - I know that if I do a good enough job I can defeat the event villain and nobody is going to launch themselves at my throat. (Theoretically. See Part 3: Naelwyn.)

I have been witness to almost every character arc imaginable and I'd say the most satisfying are the ones that do not rely on another character doing, acting, or performing anything specific - but ones that prepare for things and then just let them roll.

I think people'd know this lesson better if they had DM'ed a tabletop game - your goal isn't to kill the players with the monsters and 'win' - your goal is to challenge them as best you can and make them feel tension - like they could lose - that they come close to losing - but pull through in the end.

If you've never gotten to experience pulling through at the absolute last moment, the last spell slot, the last hit point - surely you've had a moment like that in your life.

Roleplay on hollowworld, however - feels strictly binary - usually whoever wins is whoever argues the most vociferously and one combatant or one combatant group ends up winning by overwhelming numbers or not ever being touched -

The victory is almost inevitably not one of tactical edge and so forth - but simple persistance in insisting one's side - and it's really not satisfying to watch.

I think the best example of everything I speak of in this section is the Jax event as part of the return campaign. I'm sorry if I'm spoiling an experience for anyone, but I feel it was pretty noticeable that the Alteran side of the conflict was given a reprieve at the end. I'd like people to realize that generally speaking your DM isn't trying to utterly crush you, but simply challenge you. [Also see - My first event during the exodus with the Staff demons and their, shall we say - overcalibration. That's not exactly what I wanted to happen, at all.]

Did anyone think the duel at the end of that event was satisfying to watch? I see that probably a lot more than the average player does, because I'm often called in to ask what one person's moves or another would do.

Should I really have to stat out exactly what plate armor does and can do, for example? People are at tremendous bloody fault when using it - from donning it, how often they wear it without collapsing from heat stroke, how awful they must smell (And how that alone should ruin their stealth when using the darn thing) - how it affects flexibility as well as weight - how it requires constant oiling, maintenance, and work to make it function successfully - It was a strong defensive option but people mitigate away every struggle that people using it actually had to go through and in the end that makes it feel overpowered defensively.

Similarly, people offensively seem to have no real idea what different kinds of armor would or could do - I've spent days figuring this kind of stuff out long before I started roleplaying on this server, back when I was a greenie and playing a pretty humdrum ranger named Berathram.

People complain about people being indestructible when attacking a full-plated breastplate with a sword. I dunno, take a narrow, pointy stick and stab them where they see from. Take advantage of the fact that you can choose only one of decent peripheral vision or eye protection. Throw hot things at them and watch them cook inside their armor.

The worst of this I've seen was all of the people hating on the golem Vorar when they tried to kill him by attacking the strongest part of his armor.

He has a giant, glowing eye - and moves like a snail.

You can literally walk away from that fight. Or hit and run. Or get on a horse and fire arrows. Or dig a hole.

But people remain trapped in their paradigms and the standard response for something not going your way on this server is to complain - and then people message me angry about the fact that I'm not caving into their demands after I have explained exactly what other options they could have taken.

Part 7: Rules

My word people hate me dictating rules. I kinda don't like writing them, and wish people could get along on common sense for things.

On the other hand - I personally long for an at least mildly complete coverage for character advancement or even capability rules simply so I could play within them and thus be fine.

It's part of what I've recognized that it's absolutely impossible for me to be the one to develop these things and then get to play in them - Ultimately I remain the DM in people's eyes and regardless of how much I endeavour to stay legitimate within the system it's simply not going to register.

Thus, decisions mentioned well above - once I am out of the system I can then suggest the rules to undertake - they can be accepted, rejected - accepted and later modified - and then I can play entirely within whatever the rules are decided on and then I can finally just do things.

I have already drafted a fairly complete system that people could use to fairly determine the outcome of a literally massive amount of things - there is exactly one thing missing:

"How does my character legitimately acquire more skills?"
"How much skill can my character start with?"

If I knew the answer to this question perhaps I could resolve a lot of the conflicts within the community.

Perhaps the community needs to establish something here that they think is fair.

I guess that's one of the reasons I love MCMMO - it's completely and utterly objective and works the same for everybody (Fixed Unarmed permissions bugs notwithstanding~!).

That's somewhat what I'd like us all to work out - an objective system that works entirely without outside interference.

We could make, find, and/or modify a plugin for this way faster than you might expect if we actually knew what the target was, so I guess that'll be the last task I set for you.

In Closing

In closing of the initial post (I'm prepared with replies, buckles yer butts in) I would like to continue to break the mold of what you expect in a post by asking the following:

If you are going to give this post any rating at all, I ask that you post a comment to the thread. Even if it's a player love - make your comment, then rate. If I have ratings from people but no comment it's a sign to me that they didn't actually read all the way through, and I don't deserve a like if someone hasn't fully read what I'm trying to say, and I will endeavor to remove them. Actually tell me what you think. I am, at this present juncture, much more interested in seeing the truth of what communication can bring rather than dancing around topics. I'm not coming in lightly.

I'll be prepared to respond to such.

Postscript: Legion - this will remain the record wall post for quite a while, I expect. I didn't start out trying for this but it's pretty funny how it ended up.

Last edited:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Music for easy listening. (What can I say I hit the character limit.)[Things you can play to make the read nicer.]

Last edited:

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Its funny because I finished all the mysticism spell descriptions (i.e. its ready for release) ... five days ago.

Edit: On a more serious note. Within this entire post, with all these subjects I know that have been spoken at length on with the threadmaker; I really have nothing more to say asides-

I'm not as disappointed as I thought this text would make someone.

Last edited:

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
First off:

(It wouldn't be a Jstar post without a gif now would it)
Honestly, I can see where you've come from with this. I've seen pretty much everything you've mentioned in this post happen in the game. While I'm not privy to all the details, I must say it's a shame that your hand as been forced in such a way.

skuller

Lord of Altera
Yeah I've noticed the Tall Poppy Syndrome. There was one day when everyone just really despised the Engems after we had actually done something so that's something I've witnessed as well.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Naelwyn, I read the whole thing, I just have to mull over my reply.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
To be completely honest . . Dummyplug(Character) thought that Naelwyn(Character) was a bit of a dunce XD. After Nael's blunder at the summoning of Rahas and the axe provided to Dummy which he was told was hyper powerful(it was still hyper powerful, but the target he used it on was even more powerful so the effect seemed pathetic to him) turned out to be a flop to him. He thought Nael was a bit of a goof. It was blatantly obvious that you(Nael, person) were not metagaming due do the IC mistake during the summoning of Rahas made by a character who didn't quite know what to expect even when played by a person who probably knew exactly what to expect. As far as I know, you played perfectly legit.

As for Skraag, I am quite happy with the changes you made. At least, I am happy with what lore has been revealed about Skraag to this day. I am pretty disappointed that I missed out on that Skraag lore quest line that you put out. I never even knew it existed XD. But, that's what I get for spending all my time in the Sorrows.

Anyway, thanks for all the work you've done. Even the stuff you think was in vain. I'm grateful.

Edit: Time to read past part 3 :p

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
I agree with everything you said above. Anytime you are in charge of creating rules and are the DM it is really hard to actually play the game and enjoy it with the others. As you said you will instantly be called out for bending the rules to your own gain.

Concerning Naelwyn and his use of magic. Someone had to be the Magus of his field of magic and teach it to others. But that person also would have to be as responsible to hold back like you did and only teach those most disciplined.

Honestly, I'd rather have only a few characters who are responsible like Naelwyn use magic than any and everyone who wants to just flailing it around everywhere.

Mcmmo, I think it's. Great way to portray your characters stats. Just like your character Naelwyn, I had my character Tybalt go out and hunt and shoot stuff on the sorrows for several irl months and I'm still doing that right now. It really is fun roleplay if you just imagine it, hell, even type it out.

Hmm, you didn't talk much about it but on the topic of "where does your character start out at."

Half the fun of playing a character is RP developing their skills. You are missing Soo much development. Instead of just having them from the start. I fact during training you will actually really learn stuff you can do and become better at Rping fightS.

I stayed away from most close quarter fights with swords and such for a long while and just stick to a bow because I didn't know how to correctly emote my character actions in a fight.

While Tybalt trained with Storm, Chulkan and Brogan I learned several things that I didn't know before. More descriptive ways to emote your attacks, better understanding of the physics involved, and diffrent styles of fighting as well giving a boost to my creativity while in battle.

Most people I see who come here and have there character instantly skilled in swordsmanship the most creative emotes I see are *attaks with sword* or *slashes

Moving on

When I held the event where Tybalt called for a meeting for all of Altera, a lot of people complained that it was a player made event that was overtook by staff. This is not true.

For one, Tybalt received a note from @Somnastra detailing on it That Freya had a plan and to let her speak and for Tybalt to listen more.

Before you go on declaring that Som set that up as staff I'd like you to know That Som and I have been ooc and ic friends way before she became any kind of staff and Tybalt sees her like a big sister and takes her advice. Som had all ic reason to send that letter and knows Tybalt needs to learn to listen instead of speak (also I did not intend to fully run the event I was scared out of my mind you don't even know)

During the event for ooc reasons I had to leave unannounced and Freya took the floor. I was going to let her do that whether I was there or not. I was even going to call on her whether she raided her hand or not. Thankfully Nalwyn saw that I had irl things to attend to and helped make the entire event a huge success and really was the turning point in the war, it brought Altera together to form the plan that ultimately stopped corruption and I am highly thankful for it and don't feel in the slightest upstaged. They were not Staff in this situation simply players who was enjoying the event like the rest of us.

Now concerning the ic/ooc barrier I will admit to am one of the most at fault on this. Primarily because a lot of Tybalt reflects myself.

Recently a fight between myself and @Scardrac sparked a bitter argument over stuff that was already settled. I may not agree with what happened was legit but it was fun RP. And I ruined it with continuous arguing. Really, I've been in fights where I've lost and won.

I enjoyed the fight where Tybalt losses to Kilrox way more than I did when Tybalt survived once fighting Scardrac. Simply because there was no arguing involved and it allowed the story between my character and @Sybbyl Violet to grow deeper and progress to what it is now, still ever going. Really, she was thinking about killing that character off because it's development was going no further and by "losing" it created many diffrent adventures and opportunities for character growth.

Naturally I will still want to win, but with the new movement of The Order of The Fallen Light, Engems, Otder of Rahas, And the Brotherhood of the Trinity I am going to strive to enjoy it more as a story than as simply winning another battle. I am human and yes I did say try~

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
@Valonyx @Tybalt

I have removed yer positive ratings till y'comment - as I stated in the bottom of my post that I would

(Comment, /then/ rate.)
I'm sorry, my iPod died in the middle of typing and I had to wait several minutes for it to recharge enough to turn on, didn't expect to take this long but the more I typed the more came to mind :)

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
Throughout the entire post I was nodding in agreement. Naelwyn, you are without a doubt, correct (I refrain from saying "correct about everything" because I quite liked the magic system).

Please note, I do not consider myself utterly innocent of the crimes I am about to mention. A lot of players just need a moment to stop and realize we are playing a game after all, as you have already mentioned. Games are intended to be fun, but when participants fail to use whatever amount of common sense they have, it falls short of its intentions. HollowWorld is not a novel you are writing in which everything that occurs is dictated by you, the author. It is just as any other multiplayer game, such as Call of Duty (which to me, feels like a complex match of Whack-A-Mole). A soldier's head pops around the corner, I shoot. That was my reaction, not me controlling the player's fate by making him walk around the corner so that I could shoot him. I could be clever and toss a grenade so that he would hopefully expose himself, but nothing is actually being forced by me. That should be you, that should be me, while roleplaying on HollowWorld. Your character is reacting to whatever actions other characters perform in the ever evolving environment. Think of the CoD analogy again, and for a moment, pretend I'm a hacker. I am actually forcing the player against his or her volition to be exposed, and in the end I easily kill the player. I gain satisfaction, usually temporary. The player on the other hand, would feel extremely frustrated when that happens. Their day could be ruined, they could feel mad or sad or laugh at how much of a tryhard I am. The same applies to HollowWorld. If I perpetually pester another Alteran about the effects of my character's actions, the RP becomes a disappointing drag. If I am in constant denial of the effects of another character dealt to mine merely because it does not coincide with the personal plot line I have for my character, it only becomes a larger source of frustration for both parties. If I become the hacker and make everything play out in my favor so my character is nearly impeccable to others, the experience is ruined for everyone. So please, play it like a game, because it is. I never really liked saying "Go with the flow," but I feel it is relevant to the matter. **** happens, bad **** happens to your character, and you know what, sometimes it sucks, because maybe you feel personally connected to your character. CoD is no different (I should note that every time I make these CoD analogies I deteriorate myself because I am not the biggest fan of the game as of late). You get your ass handed to you one game, they wipe the floor with you the other, but suddenly you find yourself kicking ass and that's when it's most satisfying.

TL;DR, read Naelwyn's God damn post. (On second thought, I don't believe that is a much more reasonable alternative.)

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Honestly I can see and agree with all of your points. You / Naelwyn do not deserve half the flak you catch for doing these things, and I can understand why you will be resigning. I must say that I'm slightly disappointed, as for the whole eleven months I've been on this server I've been under your Lore-guy-ism, and I'm used to it - you are, from what I've seen a spectacular person to be in control of this and I am rather envious of your writing ability. From what I have encountered you have played your character very fairly, not abused anything I can think of. In fact, I honestly think it would have been a bit more fair for you if you had been able to use Thaumaturgy a bit more extensively, as your character was the Magus of it.

I must say that I'm very disappointed that the Magic system will be phased out from the world, as I was incredibly fascinated with the idea of going through and trying to learn and so on and so forth, developing my newest character Eudoxius on a path to try to learn some distinction of magic. But of course, I would not have been upset if he failed, because that's roleplay. I would have been quite grateful for the ability to try. I would also like to see another iteration - or attempt at an iteration - of Magic be made in the future. Hell, depending on who will be taking over for you, I may even try to have a hand in it if possible, because lore in general interests me a hell of a lot; I'm a writer, OOCly, and love to design entire universes for my stories. In short, I'm sad to see it go, because it was a very well structured system in my opinion.

Now, the matter of the IC/OOC line is a touchy subject, because of my first few weeks on the server. I am certainly not trying to sound hypocritical, as I completely admit and agree that I made a complete ass out of myself in the beginning. However, I'd like to think I've grown out of that. Now - I agree with the points you've made. If people would remember that it's all a game and accept the consequences for their character's actions, I think Hollowworld would be a much better community. I have witnessed a lot of infighting and gossip recently, and it's not very well representing of the community itself. I completely agree that if people would focus less on winning then the overall story would be much, much more fun. However there are characters out there that will keep fighting until they literally do not have the ability to; Archaeus used to be like this, until he truly learned the benefit of retreat or surrender. He has developed out of a winning-is-everything tin-can with a rather 2D personality to a very fleshed out person with hopes and aspirations and fears and major weaknesses. Although my character's development didn't go in the way I originally intended it to, I'm incredibly grateful that it went the way it did. Archaeus has lost a lot, a hell of a lot, and it's fun to develop what sort of personality and mental states all of the challenges cast him in to. From a bloodthirsty, eager-to-serve warbot to an old depressed cripple, I'm very proud of the line of development I've been able to partake in. Winning is much less fun than thorough development.

With the villain character arc section, I don't have much to comment on, but I completely agree with the points given. And below the main bulks of the arc - parts about armor, weaponry, fighting - I also agree. I actually take time out of my chances to RP to have Archaeus passively bathe, or clean out his armor, or polish it, or oil it, etc, and the passive RP for that can be very entertaining. Contrary to popular belief he cannot stand in his armor in the sun all day and not be effected. This is why he tends to stay in the north, or in the shade, or indoors. I also do spend a good 20 minute OOC chunk of time RPing the removal or donning of his armor, and normally have him ask for help, because four fingers.

And yes, if people would actually think of strategic ways to attack people instead of just flailing a sword or shooting a bow, I believe there would be a lot less OOC argument about IC fights.

For the last section about rules, I believe that people should be more flexible and willing to abide by the restrictions. Playing on this server is a privilege, not a right, and I think most people forget that very often. Without rules it would be anarchy, and not in a good way.

Overall I must say I'm a bit disappointed, but I respect your decision to resign from lore-guy-ism, and phase out magic. You give very valid and strong points for doing so. I wish you luck in whatever might happen for you here in the next for months.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Could I get a (bit) more elaborate opinion on the Order of Rahas/Harateth whatnot deal?
Just be chill about it.

I think some of the most fun I've had is my friendly rivalry with @Boulderpaul regarding MCMMO stats. He was actually the first person on the server I interacted with in any meaningful way and it's been fun to date.

If you really want to overcome this - my advice is simple:

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Just be chill about it.

I think some of the most fun I've had is my friendly rivalry with @Boulderpaul regarding MCMMO stats. He was actually the first person on the server I interacted with in any meaningful way and it's been fun to date.

If you really want to overcome this - my advice is simple:
Make a character, join an organization, and legitimately try and get along and work with someone you have IC or OOC reason to not get along with.

Not to backstab them or benefit another character - legitimately try and work with not your best friends, but somebody you don't know at all or sortof dislike In-character.

If you guys want to have fun:

Seed people between each organization and have a friendly, fun, rivalry~!

And after every conflict go:
- Play a game together co-operatively - Y'all go join the same team of something on Steam and go stomp people. Defend in a Mount&Blade seige or something, the sky's the limit - just all play together for a common goal.
- Go down to the ol'pub and have a nice nom together
- Etc.

Last edited:

Firegirl

Lord of Altera
I don't think you should retire Naelwyn, I quite liked him. Yes, my char was a /bit/ warry of him, but she began to like him.

No, I'm not saying "Don't you DARE retire Naelwyn." I am saying that I enjoy Naelwyn as a char, (even though I don't know him much) and would love to continue to RP with him.

And about the Magic thing:

Elemental Magic isn't a core magic subject on here. It's other magics that my char, well, isn't intrested in. She just isn't. She isn't intrested in them, she doesn't care for them, there's no books on them, and it takes /years/ of training to get them.

Now, on another server I played on, my char was a Pyromancer. She started out at 15, by by the age of 19-20, she was desently skilled.
Now, she wasn't an all powerful fire mage. She didn't call herself one, and I limited her powers that would make sence to the timefram and lore and etc.

On here, however, you cannot get /any/ sorts of magic, weather Elemental or not, without proir training. You can't even KNOW of such magic unless you read it or somebody told you about it.

Problems:

1. Everybody, even if your corrupt, should have some mana. Mana is basically what fuels your magic. You run of mana, you suffer and could possibly /die/.
Everybody should be able to acess a /bit/ of mana, weather a small flame appears in your hands, ice, wind...etc.

2. There are NO teachers in the magic's. And those that do teach are unknown in RP and it takes /years/ to find a trainer willing it train a student.

3. All magic must be approved by Staff members, and your char must be legit trained by somebody in that feild of magic in RP. You also have to give the name of the person who trained you in your char sheet.

This rule is quite fustrating to me. Since there are NO teachers, how can it be approved by Staff? How can you even start to learn without RP years of looking? I myself would get quite tired of looking for Magic teachers that are hiding, and only pick a select few.

This is kind of a ramble, but I'm just getting off topic.

Naelwyn, I understand why you want to do what you want to do. I'm not going to yell at you, or say that you have to stay. Or anything really.

I am agreeing with the things you said, they make sence to me. (At least me)

Yes, I will be sad about it. Naelwyn had a lot of potential with Rose. Even though they just met, and she hardly knows him.

Best of luck to you.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Right- The "magisterium" was created because I.. well, wanted to. Not in any backlash to any other group or organization. I don't want backlash, either. It will happen, but I hope it's from bad guys, because as Mich can vouch for, I want to go back to being the religious vigilante, considering the corruption crusade efforts are over.

Now. Onto your main post. There is a lot I can agree with and little I can't. On the topic of armor and weapons, I have been trying to spread and educate as much as I can about the reality of owning and maintaining armor and weapons. @MRPolo13 can tell you that I come to him a lot when I have questions about the reality of it. The problem is: I don't have armor in real life. I don't use it. So I don't inherently know everything there is to know about it. A lot of people don't, but I wish for those who do use it would do some research on the reality of armor. I do a lot, and I calculate the thicknesses depending on how much my character can take, and I don't usually have him sit for hours in his armor to prevent the heat stroke, as you said. So on that, I agree. A problem is that people don't know what they walk in to. I won't name names, but someone was roleplaying "thin" armor, and it was around three inches thick. Another thing that people have learned to do is call be a powergamer because I argue against something utterly foolish that someone did, say, "stab with everything he's got at his chestplate" expecting it to go through. There have been many things like this and it always ended up making the other person angry.. It's not my fault you did the equivalent of shooting a tank with an assault rifle.

I tell people who hold armor to get inside immediately if they're not busy when it rains. Poor armor oil.

And for combat. I think a big problem is altered perspectives of people. One person is playing a movement sequence in his head as if a little movie, and roleplays out that action, expecting it to work. While, the other person, sees it in a completely different way, and the way he "plays" it, it wouldn't entirely work. That certainly has been an aspect that lead to many debates about what would really happen. Another is vagueness and lack of info about the attack/moves, as Tybalt has said in his post. Thinks like *Stabs* or *slashes at*. I try to describe my motions accurately..

Another thing. I really want to apologize to @Goldengem25 for having my character want to genocide the Engems. I didn't know you guys were getting flak because you were "Successful". I've reduced the list to trying to aim revenge at the people who tried to harm Harateth.
Anyways. There isn't much stopping people from getting jealous about success. Trying to bring it down purposefully isn't okay.

As for Naelwyn- I absolutely loved him as a character. He was funny, and you and I had a lot of shared perspectives on current events such as the Shoreless Gulf thing. I always felt so bad when you were jumped on by people whenever you step into public. It's a shame you're letting him go soon.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
@firegirl356879 The magic system you describe is exactly the one we did away with because of how problematic it was. Furthermore, it isn't staff who teach/approve magic, it's the magi, and later when the system had matured, other magic users capable of teaching (e.g. adept level upwards) would've been able to take on their own apprentices. Additionally, one of the magi is a public figure visible at all times and makes no secret of her abilities - she also had five apprentices.

Please read the lore before criticising it.

G

Grief

Very well

Take it easy Naelwyn. So crafters (or people) It is his choice whatever he want.

I am sorry people of Altera... I am too old for HollowWorld. I am still miss my Creator.

*drinks a cup of tea and acts like gentlewoman*