Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Weapons to consider

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Again, stated my reasons behind not posting polearms. I might, if I figure out how to successfully RP with them ;P

spagbog

Lord of Altera
What about slings? I know it was mainly Spanish and Portugese troops that used them by the middle ages, but that's still Europe.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
That's actually a fairly good point, however do you feel the need for me to include that? If so, I will, if not, I guess it's fine eh?
As I said, and will probably say more, this is just some examples that aim to push you slightly away from "the Sword!" and "the Bow!"

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
Somebody had to make this thread, Nice Job Polo :p
I preferably use a Poleaxe myself....
Now update some more, Polo post is good and minty :D

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I have completed the list of weapons to consider!

In few days' time I'll be going on to making an "Armour to Consider" thread. For now, remember to mix and match, and read through the last paragraph of 4th post to see what you think.
Thanks and hope this helps! ;)

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
I have completed the list of weapons to consider!

In few days' time I'll be going on to making an "Armour to Consider" thread. For now, remember to mix and match, and read through the last paragraph of 4th post to see what you think.
Thanks and hope this helps! ;)
Yay for Polo!
Also, I;d suggest adding Quarterstaff on there as well, they're a rather interesting two-hander to use in Street Brawls and the such. They also use a rather common technique which is used by the Poleaxe when blocking that allows for versatility (I also love both weapons :3)

Silvertread

Lord of Altera
The Falchion looks amazing, I think I'm going to use that from now on.
Also, I think people need to realise that a slash from a sword does not give you a small cut if you don't wear any armour. It'd take you arm off.

Seth_Jenkins

Lord of Altera
The Falchion looks amazing, I think I'm going to use that from now on.
Also, I think people need to realise that a slash from a sword does not give you a small cut if you don't wear any armour. It'd take you arm off.
Somebody needs to get Zombie Go Boom in here, now that shows you what happens when weapon meets skull...

Edit: Got it! Check out their channel, they did a halberd recently
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZombieGoBoomTV?feature=watch

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Depending on the type of swords, of course.
An example that can be used here is a sword that was basically a long steel pole that didn't get any popularity. As a cutting weapon, it was useless, and you wouldn't take any limbs off with that, however it was a crushing weapon.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Hardly Medieval.
If I was to include every sword ever, I'd go into tenth page before starting on other weapons xD

I put down the main swords from Ye Olde Medievals.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
I'm noticing an absence of curved swords (scimitars), in this thread. But would those be alright?

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I did put them down, but without pictures.
Of course scimitars are allowed :p
This thread is an example, not something you follow.

ThadTheDinger

Loyal Servant of Altera
Personal Observation:
I think the lack of improvised weaponry is sad. The likelihood of a peasant in particular owning a nice weapon strikes me as odd. Not much wrong with having a carving knife on the end of a broomstick, hey presto, a Glaive!

I'd just like to mention that the word halberd, although used in most modern renditions of medieval warfare as a sort of catch-all for that kind of weaponry is misused. I only know this because of recent poking around due to my character's use of a digging implement as a weapon.

Pole weapons are so varied that they can't really get a fixed classification, there's a Voulge, a Bardiche, a Glaive..
But two things to /seriously/ consider when using any two handed weapon are speed and range. A person weilding a large sword for instance is never going to be able to land a hit as quickly as someone with a trench spike, or similar stabbing implements. Admittedly the damage one can cause with a larger weapon offsets this problem, but you've still got to hit your enemy for it to be useful.

*Pro-tip* Always have a back up in case your opponent outclasses you with speed. My personal favourite is a Bollock Dagger, (begging your pardon, but that's what it's called) good for poking at holes in more heavily armoured foes' plate mail. (But obviously pulling a broadsword out of a pant leg is very much OP. I very much doubt anyone would enjoy carrying around two or three lumps of metal in their pants)

Secondly, range. Sure, with a spear or a polearm you can hit someone much further away, but what happens when they get inside your swing? You end up just hitting them with a stick. And probably with a dagger in your stomach. Even a weapon like a bastard sword can give the owner problems, the broad sweeping strokes when using it two handed can be avoided, and then blocked entirely by getting as close as you can to your target.
A clever fighter doesn't just think about his/her weapon, they must think about the enemy as well.

This thread provides a great stepping stone for combat RP, but you've got to remember just jumping into a fight with a big sword can get you hurt. There is only a fine line between bravery and stupdity after all.

I have a feeling that ^This^ was the reason you wanted to avoid heavier two handed weaponry MrPolo. It gets very complicated very quickly, particularly in smaller combat situations.