Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Why is the Rum Gone?: A Discussion on Alcohol

Lenore

Bird, Knows What's Good
Retired Staff
Len0re
Len0re
Legend
Welcome!

Preface
Did you know that 4/5 statisticians from Compendium dictate that well over half of Alterans are alcoholics? They also say that 37.1% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

In a world full of flying hellcats and other such nonsense, it's probably a no brainer to drink yourself under the table.. But where is that alcohol coming from? I can't speak for the personal stock and store of every person and ship that came over from the NK to the New World, but the numbers could be off here.

Consider that, on said ships, we're probably only bringing the bare necessities. So things like.. Barrels, large cauldrons, alembics, makeshift stills.. etc.. Have probably been eaten up by the Sea of Storms.
What's the point here, exactly?
Well.. It's that we should be about out of alcohol, or at least nearing said point..

Why does it matter?
Well, I suppose it doesn't matter that badly, because we're not saving anyone's lives with alcohol here ... Or are we? The running out of alcohol is not limited, by a long shot, to just recreational. The supply of remaining alcohol across the map ties largely into doctoring as well. No alcohol means you can't pour the stuff into wounds to help ward off infections. Big problem, I would say.

The running out of alcohol also ties largely into meaningful trade roleplay. Being a commodity, it's.. sort of silly to just say people are brewing, I think. It minimizes the idea that things like, say, furs, are also important and hard to get. Making alcohol isn't easy in the modern day, so consider what the Alterans must be working with..

NPC Brewing?
Sure, you could say NPC's are brewing.. but.. This goes back to the idea of meaningful trade.. For an NPC to brew, it means that they've somehow procured a proper setup for brewing - including lumber and metal rings for barrels, large amounts of supplies for the drinks themselves, a distilling setup, glass and corks for bottles, so on and so forth. I feel like it's a lot to just.. say exists.

Conclusion
Admittedly, those who know me might.. see this as a bit of a personal gripe. And.. I'll admit, there's some element of personal griping here, sure. However, this all, in the long run, does apply largely to the entirety of trade roleplay across the map. I'm not asking that everyone drops all their liquor and says they've run out, but that we ought to consider the hand we're dealt, and the current state of the world, its resource production.

Thanks for your time!

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
._.
this... I like this.
I'll admit that I was just kinda doin stuff with Roy and alcohol before hand, but after reading this, i'll definitely give it more thought (Though it's pretty IC of Roy to be kinda stupid like that) but lemme just say I love how well thought out this is :D

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Welcome!

Preface
Did you know that 4/5 statisticians from Compendium dictate that well over half of Alterans are alcoholics? They also say that 37.1% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

In a world full of flying hellcats and other such nonsense, it's probably a no brainer to drink yourself under the table.. But where is that alcohol coming from? I can't speak for the personal stock and store of every person and ship that came over from the NK to the New World, but the numbers could be off here.

Consider that, on said ships, we're probably only bringing the bare necessities. So things like.. Barrels, large cauldrons, alembics, makeshift stills.. etc.. Have probably been eaten up by the Sea of Storms.
What's the point here, exactly?
Well.. It's that we should be about out of alcohol, or at least nearing said point..

Why does it matter?
Well, I suppose it doesn't matter that badly, because we're not saving anyone's lives with alcohol here ... Or are we? The running out of alcohol is not limited, by a long shot, to just recreational. The supply of remaining alcohol across the map ties largely into doctoring as well. No alcohol means you can't pour the stuff into wounds to help ward off infections. Big problem, I would say.

The running out of alcohol also ties largely into meaningful trade roleplay. Being a commodity, it's.. sort of silly to just say people are brewing, I think. It minimizes the idea that things like, say, furs, are also important and hard to get. Making alcohol isn't easy in the modern day, so consider what the Alterans must be working with..

NPC Brewing?
Sure, you could say NPC's are brewing.. but.. This goes back to the idea of meaningful trade.. For an NPC to brew, it means that they've somehow procured a proper setup for brewing - including lumber and metal rings for barrels, large amounts of supplies for the drinks themselves, a distilling setup, glass and corks for bottles, so on and so forth. I feel like it's a lot to just.. say exists.

Conclusion
Admittedly, those who know me might.. see this as a bit of a personal gripe. And.. I'll admit, there's some element of personal griping here, sure. However, this all, in the long run, does apply largely to the entirety of trade roleplay across the map. I'm not asking that everyone drops all their liquor and says they've run out, but that we ought to consider the hand we're dealt, and the current state of the world, its resource production.

Thanks for your time!

Preface

Did you know that 4/5 statisticians from Compendium

Compendium
look mom I made it

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
The problem here being home-brewing alcohol isn't that hard. While we're certainly lacking the wines and rums, brewing beer can be done by most people with simple simple equipment.

It might not be nice beer. It certainly won't be great beer.

(In addition this entirely depends on how long we've been in the new world in Altera-time. If we've been here a year then we should easily have breweries set up, if not advanced ones.)

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
We brought over a fair bit ICly, but I finally got around to a building for rum-making. I'm probably going to look into the brewery plugin sometime but I have absolutely no idea how that works. xD

LiraKitty

Lord of Altera
We brought over a fair bit ICly, but I finally got around to a building for rum-making. I'm probably going to look into the brewery plugin sometime but I have absolutely no idea how that works. xD
Perhaps Nylarii could hire a master brewer to train a citizen? Totally not a hint or anything. ;)

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
She brewed it ICly for a while in Riseport/Veilmere but I never had time for the plugin. We just emoted it instead. : (

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
._.
this... I like this.
I'll admit that I was just kinda doin stuff with Roy and alcohol before hand, but after reading this, i'll definitely give it more thought (Though it's pretty IC of Roy to be kinda stupid like that) but lemme just say I love how well thought out this is :D
Same

Keep in mind, at some point there are plans to rework recipes to make more exclusive drinks based on availability of ingredients at the location where the drink is made. It's gonna be a bit, but it's on the list of things to do.

Lenore

Bird, Knows What's Good
Retired Staff
Len0re
Len0re
Legend
The problem here being home-brewing alcohol isn't that hard. While we're certainly lacking the wines and rums, brewing beer can be done by most people with simple simple equipment.

It might not be nice beer. It certainly won't be great beer.

(In addition this entirely depends on how long we've been in the new world in Altera-time. If we've been here a year then we should easily have breweries set up, if not advanced ones.)
i'll do the wibble if you do the wobble

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
NOT THE RUM! Cymic has actually brought Willow's stock from the Sangria storage, was only a few kegs of rum, and kegs of other things.
Nylarii i still need that single Riseport brew rum ..