Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Writing Exercise: Setting

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
So I think I'm going to plop a weekly writing exercise in this section, because I need to do some practice, and feedback is always important for writers who want to move forward in their craft. So I thought you guys might like to join me!

This week's exercise is going to be introducing a set of settings as if you were about to start writing a scene in a piece of fiction you're working on. It can be short, long, whichever. If you make a particular choice, however, keep in mind this may affect the attention span of the reader.

Why is setting important? Because it helps the reader place everything - actions, reactions, objects - in the proper context. Sometimes you might work on a story that you don't have a clear idea of a setting for, but other times, the setting is almost the first thing to appear, and just naturally flows into the writing.

I will make a list of setting below, and if you choose to participate, choose five of them:
  • a tropical rainforest
  • a cabin in the mountains
  • a ghost town in the wild west
  • an alien planet
  • a made-up fantasy locale (nonHW places)
  • a HW locale
  • a futuristic vessel/far-future spaceship
  • a crowded metropolis at the beginning of the industrial revolution
  • a modern city
  • an office/cube farm

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
  • a cabin in the mountains
I'm tired and that makes my writing awful, so I'm only going to try one setting.

" The small hermit dwelling sat alone in the dry cold of the Monashee Mountains, its single resident resting within. The winter wind rasped against the fogged windows of the cabin, while a softer variety blanketed its roof and steps "

Short, but whatever.

Agnew

Legend of Altera
-Cabin

Inky night settled over the mountainside. Under the dim, pinpricked canvas of the night sky, the occasional chirping of insects and rustling of foliage betrayed the forest's hidden life. In a clearing among the towering pines, a low cabin, hardly larger than a shack, rested, quietly veiling the waxing moon behind thin wisps of smoke produced by a slightly crooked chimney. Within the cabin rested a few necessities, clearly emphatic of durability and utility. An ancient cot, seeming to creak upon simple observation, sat next to a carefully packed kit, an unpacked camping stove, and the remains of a simple dinner. Across the room, light spilled in flickering, gasping trails from a grand hearth, hinting that the cabin's creator may have had better plans for what was otherwise a glorified hovel. A single chair, worn and tattered, with a faded checker pattern, faced the fire as if to watch the smoke rise into the flue. Shadows danced upon the dark walls, some light even escaping the small, untrusting windows to be swallowed up in the silent torrent of the night. Within, the great fire staved off the night.

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
  • cabin in the mountains - I may have gone overboard...
From the top of the rise and through the flame coloured leaves of autumn, the sun dappled hamlet seems somewhat unassuming. The thin road that winds to and through it has seen very little traffic. From here, the green grass spreads across a slightly undulating landscape with mountains shrouded in heavy clouds framing this scene as a backdrop.

From this vantage point, you can see a clean, crisp lake to the left of the road. From here though, it’s unsure if the water is home to fish or not. Just to the north of the lake is a large two story home with a larger barn just behind it. A well sits behind both buildings.

Tall evergreen trees grow across from the barn and home, hiding another large home that has a vegetable patch growing in a field to the south. Currently the vegetable patch seems vacant.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK NORTH | WALK SOUTH | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: WALK NORTH.

As you travel down the road, you reach a fork, the right split seems to lead towards the right side home, while the other road passes by the other one. Where the road goes beyond here is a mystery to you, but right now, your grumbling stomach refuses to let you pass the sun dappled hamlet.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK NORTH | WALK SOUTH | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: INVENTORY.

Your rucksack is looking a lot like Mother Hubbard’s Cupboards. Bare. You have a box of matches, a half empty water bottle and a pocket knife.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK LEFT | WALK RIGHT| WALK SOUTH | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: WALK RIGHT.

Your boots barely make a sound as you decide to go to the home on the right first, as it is closer. Perhaps you can do a task or two for the owners in return for a meal. A wooden fence surrounds the home and the gate is ajar, spiderwebs span the gap between the gate and the latch on the fence post. Apparently no one has been through here in some time.

Unperturbed, you find a stick and wave the sticky webs out of the way. Spiders and their homes give you nightmares, a shudder creeps along your spine at the mere thought. You step inside the yard and you swear it just got slightly darker, perhaps it’s your imagination.

From here you can see the porch, the front of the house and the rather sparse front yard.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK TO PORCH | WALK AROUND THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HOUSE | WALK AROUND THE RIGHT OF THE HOUSE | LOOK AROUND | WAIT | GO BACK TO THE INTERSECTION

You chose: WALK TO PORCH.

You make your way along the lightly cobbled pathway that leads to the stairs up to the porch. The front door is barred shut with two wooden boards nailed across it, one at the top and one at the bottom. There’s a wire door, but it’s barely hanging from the lower hinge.

There is an axe with a broken handle laying to the left.

: PICK UP AXE.

You take the broken axe from where it lays, the handle is both broken and dusty. It hasn’t been used in quite some time. You put the axe into your INVENTORY.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | TRY TO OPEN DOOR | WALK EAST | WALK WEST | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: TRY TO OPEN DOOR.

You grab the doorknob and twist it, the handle rattles but the door refuses to budge.

: REMOVE BOARDS.

You can’t pry them loose with your bare hands, no matter how hard to try.

: USE AXE ON BOARDS.

With the handle being broken, you can’t swing it hard enough to do any damage

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK EAST | WALK EAST | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: WALK EAST.

You walk around the east side of the house, there’s a rusted swingset and slide here, as well as an overgrown sandbox. A small grey rabbit is startled by your presence and flees into the undergrowth. There is a another door on this side of the house and a tall tree that you might be able to climb and use to reach the second floor.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK NORTH | INSPECT PLAYGROUND | CLIMB TREE | TRY TO OPEN DOOR | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: CLIMB TREE.

Try as you might, you can’t get very far up the tree. The lower branches aren’t strong enough to bear your weight.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK NORTH | INSPECT PLAYGROUND | CLIMB TREE | TRY TO OPEN DOOR | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: INSPECT PLAYGROUND.

The playground has been long since abandoned, rust and plant life has taken over the metal skeleton. There’s a small, abandoned child’s toy on the ground. It’s only got one eye.

: PICK UP DOLL.

Why would you want a filthy, rotten doll?

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK NORTH | WALK SOUTH | INSPECT PLAYGROUND | CLIMB TREE | TRY TO OPEN DOOR | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: TRY TO OPEN DOOR.

This door is unlocked and swings open as you twist the handle and push. The hinges creak loudly and the sound echoes through the house. You step inside, dust puffs rising from the floorboards. It’s clear this home is empty. The door slams shut behind you.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | WALK NORTH | GO UPSTAIRS | GO EAST | GO WEST | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: LOOK AROUND.

Dust. All you can see in the gloom is dust. There’s a hallway runner leading to a door at the end of the hall, and two doors leading west and east. A set of stairs leads to the second story.

You chose: WALK NORTH.

You approach the northenmost door, there are three empty picture frames to the left of the door frame. They are all the same size.

: OPEN DOOR.

You open the door, which reveals a set of stairs leading down into the basement.

What will you do now? INVENTORY | GO DOWNSTAIRS | WALK SOUTH | LOOK AROUND | WAIT

You chose: GO DOWNSTAIRS.

As you descend the creaky stairs, it gets darker. The door slams shut behind you, it’s now pitch black.

: LIGHT MATCH

You fumble in your backpack for the matchbox and strike a match. It snaps and goes out. It was your last match.

: TURN ON LIGHT

No matter how hard you look, you can’t find a light switch. Something growls in the darkness.

You are eaten by a grue.

GAME OVER. YOU DIED. PLAY AGAIN?

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
an office/cube farm
The constant stir of machinery mingles with the chatter of grubby hands colliding with their respective keyboards. The water cooler stood at the far end of the hallway, the walls made of recycled textures and plastic that attempted to call itself "marbled." Stan sat slightly outside his cubicle, pondering the implications of where he had ended up.

32 years... my birth, childhood, schooling, high school drama, college tuition... and I practically live in an office. Any outside onlooker would step in and attempt to notify me of my status as a cog in the machine that is THE INDUSTRY. I never understood this. Then again, I don't understand much. Eh.

Oh well, he pondered, as he lazily righted himself, his stroll taking him to the cooler he had been eyeballing for a good three minutes. Ms. Ysov passed him on the way and gave him a cheerful greeting. He returned to her some of her cheerful banter, and arrived at the omnipotent water cooler. The condensation was thin and gave the container an aura of hydration and luxury.

With his cuppa' holy water in hand, Stan returned to his work station, reminded himself of the task at hand, and continued working. As he continued working on a model of a dragon in his new, up-coming title, he said to himself...

I'm so glad it all paid off.

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
The constant stir of machinery mingles with the chatter of grubby hands colliding with their respective keyboards. The water cooler stood at the far end of the hallway, the walls made of recycled textures and plastic that attempted to call itself "marbled." Stan sat slightly outside his cubicle, pondering the implications of where he had ended up.

32 years... my birth, childhood, schooling, high school drama, college tuition... and I practically live in an office. Any outside onlooker would step in and attempt to notify me of my status as a cog in the machine that is THE INDUSTRY. I never understood this. Then again, I don't understand much. Eh.

Oh well, he pondered, as he lazily righted himself, his stroll taking him to the cooler he had been eyeballing for a good three minutes. Ms. Ysov passed him on the way and gave him a cheerful greeting. He returned to her some of her cheerful banter, and arrived at the omnipotent water cooler. The condensation was thin and gave the container an aura of hydration and luxury.

With his cuppa' holy water in hand, Stan returned to his work station, reminded himself of the task at hand, and continued working. As he continued working on a model of a dragon in his new, up-coming title, he said to himself...

I'm so glad it all paid off.
This got really positive and I approve