Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

A Treatise on the Nature of Alteran Time

Ephemeral Fire

Lord of Altera
(This is an IG book being disseminated as well.)

A Treatise on the Nature of Alteran Time

What is the passage of time? Is it a summation of experiences? Is it how many rotations Altera experiences around its sun? Is it how quickly a body moves towards the end of its lifespan? It is all of these things and yet none specifically. It is a phenomenon that has not been studied at length by many other scholars, but all Alterans have noticed the fluctuations of aging.

A child can grow to adolescence while those around hardly seem to change. A young man can go about his life while new generations are born to those that were once his peers, while he stays centered in youth. What is the explanation for this? Why do some feel the tug of time more strongly than others? Why is it that some arepulled more quickly to the years of wisdom and then seemingly slow?

This curious observer offers a few theories as to why this may be, but I am no closer to making any of those theories true fact. One theory is that time is like a great river. Rocks and obstructions create different currents in a natural tributary, resulting in waters that move much quicker in certain areas. Theoretically, the portals from long, long ago could be such an obstruction. It is not beyond plausibility that time may move differently in other worlds. I had thought it possible that currents of time leak out and have created pockets, or obstructions, in which we age more quickly or slowly when passing through these unseen pockets of time. Or, if the time does not leak, perhaps it did once and these pockets are remnants. My study of the old portals is limited and based only in the old wives tales. But it is perhaps this, that different places we find ourselves move at a vastly different pace.

But what of the families, then? The families whose children grow before their very eyes, before the mother finds her first wrinkle? Those that spend all of their days together and yet find such a difference in the phenomenon? Another theory of my own formulation states that it is the constant interference of the gods that fractured the time we all experience. Wars have been waged in which the gods have exercised great feats of power. Power beyond any of the mages Altera has seen. These divine disruptions, theoretically, could have fractured time. Perhaps even intentionally, but I am not one to delve into the deific intentions. But what if their involvement in the mortal world has altered what it means to be mortal for all of us? We are a fractured people in a fractured world, and find our loved ones aging faster than we can say goodbye. Or our children growing too fast for us to cherish their innocence. A suspicious man would look to the Mad God with a raised brow, as it could be a curse for some to see time rip families apart. But again, I do not often find comfort in delving into deific intentions.

But if it is not the gods, then what? Perhaps we, as a people, have developed an innate ability to control the way our bodies age? While we all move forward toward the inevitable end, and while none have been discovered to age in the opposite direction, it could simple be written off as an ability to take fate into our own hands. The notion is almost too grand for me to grasp, as the implications would be groundbreaking. But if it is that we have some innate control of the way our bodies progress, perhaps an awareness of the phenomenon will bring identifiable results if one is to watch carefully?

But.. even as a scholar, I read these theories and scoff at myself. A man that studies time is a man who wastes it. We may never know the reason why mothers, fathers, children, and siblings age so differently. But in asking why, we delve into a realm of thought far more vast than we have ever considered before.

-Alak Briza, Scholar
Waterday, 8th of Truebirth, 2260 - Season of Birth

Sadko

Lord of Altera
sadko12345
sadko12345
that's one interesting and damn unique way to explain the wibbley wobbley timey wimey shit.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I like it good writing. Though I've always head cannoned it as follows.

We're all on levels of the Tower as described in Stephen King's Dark Tower series and the Dark Tower is failing. Chaos and destruction of the White (Order) symbolized by the fall of The Silver Crown. Then time time the next thing to go will be hard and fast rules on directions. What was north one day can be east the next.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Very Leonardesque, I like it. I want Ced to get a hand on this book so he can write a response ^^

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I really need to work on spreading this more IG. ICly only two copies are floating around.

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
I saw the book yesterday.

Should I pay out to the account on the book?

Also expect it to be in circulation fast. Hft books is the most prolific bookstore in all of NK!

(Or Cedric says)

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
I saw the book yesterday.

Should I pay out to the account on the book?

Also expect it to be in circulation fast. Hft books is the most prolific bookstore in all of NK!

(Or Cedric says)
Pay out..? I mean. I just threw it in there to help circulation. I didn't know there was a payout. Uh.. That account is fine. xD