Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Anime

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Your only hope now is.....Fansubs. Truly all is lost.
I think at least the TV anime is licensed so there is always the chance of official subtitles, though I'm afraid they will make a dub instead, which would be cancer.

Danganronpa 3's dub(Whoever made it, tbh I'm still hoping this is actually a fandub) literally changed a sentence in the epilogue from a character addressing the new director to 'Yeah I don't get this either - pretty sure I died'
Needless to say she didn't die at all.
What I could imagine would be, and that only if the movie doesn't fall under the license), would be buying the movie and loading in a subtitle file (as in a file only containing timed subtitles without any video material).

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
I think at least the TV anime is licensed so there is always the chance of official subtitles, though I'm afraid they will make a dub instead, which would be cancer.

Danganronpa 3's dub(Whoever made it, tbh I'm still hoping this is actually a fandub) literally changed a sentence in the epilogue from a character addressing the new director to 'Yeah I don't get this either - pretty sure I died'
Needless to say she didn't die at all.
What I could imagine would be, and that only if the movie doesn't fall under the license), would be buying the movie and loading in a subtitle file (as in a file only containing timed subtitles without any video material).
Not all Dubs are terrible but they are agreed incredibly few and far between. I've seen really bad dubs like Future Diary's dub changed char motivations, and emphasis on lines that felt bored or imply completely opposite things that the original Japanese did. Steins: Gate and Code Geass remind me of super high quality dubs that I actually prefer to the subs.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Not all Dubs are terrible but they are agreed incredibly few and far between. I've seen really bad dubs like Future Diary's dub changed char motivations, and emphasis on lines that felt bored or imply completely opposite things that the original Japanese did. Steins: Gate and Code Geass remind me of super high quality dubs that I actually prefer to the subs.
Issue is that the TV version of Kancolle apparently got licensed by the same company that did Danganronpa 3's dub...
So guess who has the best chances to get the movie license. :/

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
The fact that some dubs are completely off, keeps me from watching dubs.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
The fact that some dubs are completely off, keeps me from watching dubs.
I recommend Subs too for the most if nothing else but the fact you get to watch the shows 6+ months quicker, on top of their plethora of other benefits. However I don't diss folks who just watch dubs because they are an incredibly important demographic that needs to grow. The more folks who watches and buys official dubs incentives the market to get better dubs. Which we can all agree is something they need. If you haven't watched Steins: Gate or Code Geass I high suggest giving the dub versions a try due to their insane quality. If you already have, the fact the voice changes to someone who "isn't" the voice you recognize that char as would be too jarring IMO.

Solus

object oriented
Staff member
Admin
Retired Owner
I've seen and read so many bad reviews, I'm inclined not to watch it already. Death Note was a classic. Barely remember the live-action japanese version, but it /sorta/ worked out.

(Edit: I think I'm in the wrong subject thread for this, but ayy)

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I've seen and read so many bad reviews, I'm inclined not to watch it already. Death Note was a classic. Barely remember the live-action japanese version, but it /sorta/ worked out.

(Edit: I think I'm in the wrong subject thread for this, but ayy)
Technically you are in the right thread for DeathNote related stuff:)

Even if you were int he wrong thread though, none would mind because you actually contributed to an ongoing discussion :) . (Unlike a certain troll who came in here just to shitpost on page 79)

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Not an anime but its based on a popular one, Netflix's Death Note came out a day or so ago and I finally got around to watching it. I do not recommend it. At best is a 6/10 but seeing as the source material was so strong it should have been able to be much better. Now Death Note the original could have benefited from an re imagining, especially towards the half way point where the anime and manga steer into bad territory as the main dynamic is gone. That said this re imaging does not do it justice.

William Da Foe does a great voice for Ryuk and Ryuk is still pretty close to character. Everyone else with the exception for Watari are completely different from their source which in and off itself isn't bad. They themselves however are bad. So many plot holes, lose ends, WTF moments abound. Honestly the one of the reviews summed it up pretty well in that it felt like a "Previously on" montage for a show. Because it skips and leaves so many loose ends, for example a major mass murder around the halfway point is a major plot point but how the murder is carried out is never really revealed. Then towards the end they break this new Light's char completely by giving him a classic Light master plan moment but up until then he's been emotional teenager who literally cannot think ahead or anticipate behavior of others at all.

If your feeling generous 6/10 because it has some nice animation (For Ryuk the rest is live action), William Da Foe's voice acting. However closer to a 4 or 5/10 due to all its flaws but mostly because it had potential but tried to stuff way too much into its short run time. Would have really benefited from being a series not a movie.
it sucks so much oh man i feel your pain

Edit: By the way, I want to introduce my friend to FMA:B . Anyone know a good place to pick up the seasons from or will I have to bite the bullet and sign up for crunchyroll?

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
This version of death note is good tho

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
it sucks so much oh man i feel your pain

Edit: By the way, I want to introduce my friend to FMA:B . Anyone know a good place to pick up the seasons from or will I have to bite the bullet and sign up for crunchyroll?
Doesn't Netflix have it? I thought they picked that up a while back.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Started watching through a couple of the old Gundams that were in the backlog. Most of them haven't aged well and I forgot how cheesy the dialogue was. At least the animation is still good.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Magus Bride is by far the best anime out currently. If you like classic anime this is a don’t miss one. I watched Death game to completion but it never got above average for me. I dropped Dies Irae about half way through as it finally exceeded the level of “stupid things i’m Supposed to take seriously” level.

Other then that I’ve only been watching this short series whose name I’ve forgotten. Basically wife is an alcoholic and the husband makes various drinks, and it shows you what to mix to make the drink they are showing you. Fun and cute and the entire series probably only runs 30 mins I’d cut the ending credits out of each episode.