Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Announcement] Canning the Cannon Canon

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
the point is that gun powder can be created out of mined ingredients in the real world but the only way to acquire it ingame is going to the sorrows (which if you want to do ICly is a trip of months at least) and kill suicide bombers

it's stupid to make anything in RP require an OOC item
I agree- there are certain items that we simply cannot obtain without going into the sorrows and killing hostile mobs (which is harder than it sounds)- gunpowder, bonemeal, to name a few.

Perhaps- at least for gunpowder- we should have a spawn shop that sells it at a high price? Or maybe modify a mine-plugin that allows for gunpowder drops? I think plug-ins might solve some issues. I know of a cannon plugin (though cannons work 100%) and a gunpowder recipe plugin (flint + sand, and something else, I believe)

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Do you mean that the cannonball heads and gunpowder items would be consumed in-game when they get fired?
The cannon balls are my primary objective, but yes. they should Imho get consumed in a 1 ball/shot. As far as I know the day the recipe got discovered Hierax crafted several of them until the persons doing it got bored. In the event that the heavy one is made out of iron blocks, one could simply alter the recipe to make it ingots - thats not that much of a problem.
Someone (probably ptiber ) put a lot of work into making/implementing them (and other heads) so I think it would be a shame not to fit them into this system :)

Of course this would also mena that Heavy cannon balls do more dmg than the normal ones.

Gunpowder might be nice too.

the only way to get gunpowder OOC is to kill creepers

making RP require OOC items goes so far into the territory of 'really freaking obnoxious' that i dont know why you'd ever consider it
I'm gonna actual agree with Cap here. Combine what he said with the rules already in place that make all that gathering IC almost useless since you're still at only 50% chance for it to work.

If we went that hard the only way I could see balancing it is if you go that route. Is to do away with rolling so long as you consume those resources on each shot.
I agree- there are certain items that we simply cannot obtain without going into the sorrows and killing hostile mobs (which is harder than it sounds)- gunpowder, bonemeal, to name a few.

Perhaps- at least for gunpowder- we should have a spawn shop that sells it at a high price? Or maybe modify a mine-plugin that allows for gunpowder drops? I think plug-ins might solve some issues. I know of a cannon plugin (though cannons work 100%) and a gunpowder recipe plugin (flint + sand, and something else, I believe)
Uhm guys you CAN get gunpowder without killing creepers in the sorrows - specifically on our gravel rich map, as any gravel block you destroy has a chance of dropping gunpowder with the right amount of skill in the shovel skill (which prolly everyone has or can farm in like 2 days just by clearing construction sites and terraforming). Or alternatively they can get bought from players willing to get the gunpowder for you and swap we got the economy alive for a few weeks again.
I'm not even saying it should be much - maybe 1 gunpowder a/2 shots (numbers should be determined by staff imho)

My main point is really the cannon balls though.
Sure chances of the cannon failing could be lower imho - in return in the rare] event that they do it should be even more catastrophic. But again my point is the ammunition :D

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
The cannon balls are my primary objective, but yes. they should Imho get consumed in a 1 ball/shot. As far as I know the day the recipe got discovered Hierax crafted several of them until the persons doing it got bored. In the event that the heavy one is made out of iron blocks, one could simply alter the recipe to make it ingots - thats not that much of a problem.
Someone (probably ptiber ) put a lot of work into making/implementing them (and other heads) so I think it would be a shame not to fit them into this system :)

Of course this would also mena that Heavy cannon balls do more dmg than the normal ones.

Uhm guys you CAN get gunpowder without killing creepers in the sorrows - specifically on our gravel rich map, as any gravel block you destroy has a chance of dropping gunpowder with the right amount of skill in the shovel skill (which prolly everyone has or can farm in like 2 days just by clearing construction sites and terraforming). Or alternatively they can get bought from players willing to get the gunpowder for you and swap we got the economy alive for a few weeks again.
I'm not even saying it should be much - maybe 1 gunpowder a/2 shots (numbers should be determined by staff imho)

Sure chances of the cannon failing could be lower imho - in return in the rare] event that they do it should be even more catastrophic. But again my point is the ammunition :D
To my knowledge, there's never been precedence of requiring item props in order to engage in RP. This just feels weird and a lot of steps for the sake of making it arbitrary with no true benefit. The roll system has the benefit of moderating an overused system. But the cannonball prop requirement feels like overkill to me. They're just decoration blocks, imo. But it's not my call, but it just feels odd.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff

Why would I bother with the ammunition when I only have a 25% chance of the thing working like it's supposed to? A 50% chance of it just plain not working. This adds an extra step of difficulty to an already very volitiale system. I know staff are trying to discourage their use in the first place but this is one hoop too far imo.

I'm more in favor of heads staying for decoration, optional props etc not required. Only exceptions to this would be things like nether stars. Since we literally have no way of obtaining them. (I don't mean you should be able to magic them into existence. You need an RP source I feel even if it is flimsy)

Edit: Sniped in a more concise manner by Niah.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
If you want to do rolls and have them feel fair instead of random, you need a stats system.

If you have a stats system you need a leveling and/or point buy system that functions objectively without DM/Staff oversight and functions in such a manner that nobody can complain.

As I mentioned before a few times including back when I was staff, this isn't impossible to implement, but logistics becomes nigh-insurpassable if you want to try and slot existing characters in, as how do you determine the skill/experiance/level of existing characters? It's a nightmare no matter how you slice it.

If you want a stat system, properly implemented, and want to use d20 or otherwise to actually feel like an RPG it's ultimately my opinion that it necessitates a full reset and everybody rolls new characters. And if one does that I'd say probably a good oppertunity to redraft a lot of things.

I don't necessarily see that as something worth doing, but I think that's what it'd take if that was what was collectively wanted. It's a full out paradigm shift.

HW is prooobably better off staying freeform.
If you do a stat system I suggest something similar to gurps. Person is allotted a certain amount of exp. This is used to purchase all stats and skills. Really isn't levels, as you get more exp you put it into what you want to train.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
To my knowledge, there's never been precedence of requiring item props in order to engage in RP. This just feels weird and a lot of steps for the sake of making it arbitrary with no true benefit. The roll system has the benefit of moderating an overused system. But the cannonball prop requirement feels like overkill to me. They're just decoration blocks, imo. But it's not my call, but it just feels odd.
Thats actually false.
Specifically it was weapons needed to kill the gods, which were actual IC items. There are also a few other artifacts that actually have to exist. and needed to be in your inventory in order for you to be able to hurt the god in question
I still remember how Axex and I double axed Harateth with one xD

Why would I bother with the ammunition when I only have a 25% chance of the thing working like it's supposed to? A 50% chance of it just plain not working. This adds an extra step of difficulty to an already very volitiale system. I know staff are trying to discourage their use in the first place but this is one hoop too far imo.

I'm more in favor of heads staying for decoration, optional props etc not required. Only exceptions to this would be things like nether stars. Since we literally have no way of obtaining them. (I don't mean you should be able to magic them into existence. You need an RP source I feel even if it is flimsy)

Edit: Sniped in a more concise manner by Niah.
You would bother because before their inventions, castles usually didn't fall from damage done by siege engines but the problems the siege itself brought with it.

Elz

hmm
Events Staff
Very Sweet
Staff
Thats actually false.
Specifically it was weapons needed to kill the gods, which were actual IC items. There are also a few other artifacts that actually have to exist. and needed to be in your inventory in order for you to be able to hurt the god in question
I still remember how Axex and I double axed Harateth with one xD
That was so long ago I don't think I was on the server, and I don't believe I've heard of anything since then. It's one of those optional things that players need not feel obligated to do, digging gravel for a while or killing creepers (or trade-chat) in order to get something for the RP/IC cannons isn't my preference. Nor is the heads, since it'd eat up more iron than it'd take to make the actual cannons, which don't (less I've missed it) require you to make either with a set amount of iron there.

As for cannon rules, don't really use cannons, so I'm sure they're fine : )

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
if we had to get OOC items to have IC stuff, nations would be obscenely if not obnoxiously op

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I'd be down for that if applied in a broader manner, systematically setting up OOC/IC conjoint requirements to create things, but am against it if applied only to cannons.

Same reasons I'd be down for things like integrated skill systems, etc.