Artifact Changes and Listing

Elz

hmm
Staff member
Hello! I'm posting a thread here as I do not think the ones in Official Lore can be posted in by players - But you might've noticed I've changed the way relics are sorted. No longer is attunement a thing for the magical relics (only the divine side) and there is a set number of items per 'tier'. I'd like to use this thread to have any artifacts not listed or updated with new owners made clear - So they can all be updated properly. Thanks!

Sussurous

Official Alteran
A question about sparked touching or non-sparked attempting to use divine artifacts. How instant is the response to them doing so? Are blessed given some sort of repercussion OOC they are allowed to dole out immediately, or do divine staff come on later and do the a more general/long-term smiting in punishment at some pointer later?

Or is just asking the question risk me meta-gaming it?

Elz

hmm
Staff member
Oh wait an edit got made there from mine. I'll re-answer this tomorrow when I'm not busy.

Elz

hmm
Staff member
A question about sparked touching or non-sparked attempting to use divine artifacts. How instant is the response to them doing so? Are blessed given some sort of repercussion OOC they are allowed to dole out immediately, or do divine staff come on later and do the a more general/long-term smiting in punishment at some pointer later?

Or is just asking the question risk me meta-gaming it?
I have updated the relic page blurbs to something that will not require DMing/Divine intervention/etc:

Arcane: If a Mage so much as willingly touches a Divine Artifact, they are subjected to an intense burning pain from the location they touched it, and thrown back several feet. They will find themselves greatly stressed and anxious for several days after, and white burn marks.

Non-Arcane: Whilst they can touch, hold, and transport divine artifacts from one place to another, willingly trying to use it unless in dire circumstances, be it swing a sword or play a lute, it will cause much the same response as above minus the throwback. (Dire circumstances refer to the example of a shield being used so you're not without defence, picking up a sword to attack an enemy when the Blessed has been knocked out the fight, etc.)

Last edited:

Solus

solzilla
Staff member
The divine artifact link isn't listed in OP, but I noticed some of the artifacts have gone missing. Is there a reason the Divine Artifacts that were changed hands have gone missing instead of just removing the blessing? A non-magical relic can still have a use in roleplay: religious folks can keep it in their vaults, show it off and write history about it or use it as an offering, scholars can display it if they come into possession, etc. Ok with any answer, but wondering the reason for it

Edit: I understand unwilling transfers where the god/dess wouldn’t want to be compromised. Mostly inquiring on willing transfers or between the same religion path

Last edited:

Elz

hmm
Staff member
The divine artifact link isn't listed in OP, but I noticed some of the artifacts have gone missing. Is there a reason the Divine Artifacts that were changed hands have gone missing instead of just removing the blessing? A non-magical relic can still have a use in roleplay: religious folks can keep it in their vaults, show it off and write history about it or use it as an offering, scholars can display it if they come into possession, etc. Ok with any answer, but wondering the reason for it

Edit: I understand unwilling transfers where the god/dess wouldn’t want to be compromised. Mostly inquiring on willing transfers or between the same religion path
In most cases the Divine Artifacts were with inactive (or gone) players, and whilst some could remain as non-divine items I was hoping that there would be some interest in items that once belonged to a faithful being bestowed upon a new one of the faith. I felt it could give some interesting storylines and developments, but perhaps in the future I will also look at simply stripping items of their divine attributes and making them neat lore items as well.

Solus

solzilla
Staff member
I think the artifacts passed between same religions do value the aritfact. When I shelved Ashna last, I wanted to pass on her artifact down to Shao so that it’d be part of the next generation of GreyLady followers, even if it lost its abilities. I wasn’t sure how it’s be handled lore wise and I was busy so I kept it with her. That’s probably how Unyielding and Incandescence were intended to be used- just as value to the next generation. The two seem to be the only ones part of that category. Maybe people are alright with it. I also had the intention before, just mentioning it was odd to see.

Elz

hmm
Staff member
I think the artifacts passed between same religions do value the aritfact. When I shelved Ashna last, I wanted to pass on her artifact down to Shao so that it’d be part of the next generation of GreyLady followers, even if it lost its abilities. I wasn’t sure how it’s be handled lore wise and I was busy so I kept it with her. That’s probably how Unyielding and Incandescence were intended to be used- just as value to the next generation. The two seem to be the only ones part of that category. Maybe people are alright with it. I also had the intention before, just mentioning it was odd to see.
It's a valid thought and I've amended some things on the Relic page as well. What I've effectively added is that if it is in the case of a permanent passing on of an item a conversation can be made and we can go about it that way. It might mean we do a small event or something where the God gives a blessing of it to be passed on, and the powers are removed then (and maybe can be restored if they want to one day have that be their Artifact). Keeps it all cohesive and IC without any sort of pauses on other Divine characters.

I've also added an official 'Divine Trinkets' option - Thanks to BoredBrit for the suggestion. I've made them in line with Spellbound Relics so there are items of Faith that can be spread around and held with some religious significance without them needing to be big important Artifacts.

(I also will be updating some things today to make sure all the Artifacts/Relics floating around are logged, but this was a pretty big overhaul and its taking me a while.)

Jeroxia

The Jesterator
Rankbreaker has a knockback effect. There are a couple of knacks, spells, and other arcane things that outright prevent this. What is the interaction with that.

Also, Inductions vs Auras of bliss, calmth, unrest, whatever. How does that go?

Elz

hmm
Staff member
I'll likely be looking into Divine Artifacts/Spells over-riding non-divine means, but it'll take some discussion and I'll have to work on a better write up for that. For the time being if it comes up, Artifact effects work against passive abilities and knacks, and things like auras can be done with a roll against the two parties.