Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Book recommendation thread

So I was on my iPod about to hit the "Other" section in the forums when I selected the "Book" section instead, maybe because I have big thumbs but that ain't the point I'm trying to make here.

I clicked on the first thread I saw and thought to myself

"Maybe people ain't reading cause they have no idea what to read"

This, my book loving fiends ( or friends ), is where you come in handy. People will come to this thread and recommend a book. Simple as that.

Here is a small template for people -

Title :
Author :
Genre :
Length of book :
Series of books or Individual book :
Detailed description ( No spoilers ) :
Extra details :

Hopefully, people will see books that sound interesting ( and try to make them sound interesting ) and start reading again. Unless you already read...

Last edited:

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Title: (added it in cause it's sort of needed...) Sophie's World
Genre : Philosophy
Length of book : 427 pages.
Series or one book : Single book.
Details : One day fourteen-year-old Sophie Amundsen comes home from school to find in her mailbox two notes, with one question on each: “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” From that irresistible beginning, Sophie becomes obsessed with questions that take her far beyond what she knows of her Norwegian village. Through those letters, she enrolls in a kind of correspondence course, covering Socrates to Sartre, with a mysterious philosopher, while receiving letters addressed to another girl. Who is Hilde? And why does her mail keep turning up? To unravel this riddle, Sophie must use the philosophy she is learning—but the truth turns out to be far more complicated than she could have imagined.
Extra : This book stopped me from being normal!

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
Details : One day fourteen-year-old Sophie Amundsen comes home from school to find in her mailbox two notes, with one question on each: “Who are you?” and “Where does the world come from?” From that irresistible beginning, Sophie becomes obsessed with questions that take her far beyond what she knows of her Norwegian village. Through those letters, she enrolls in a kind of correspondence course, covering Socrates to Sartre, with a mysterious philosopher, while receiving letters addressed to another girl. Who is Hilde? And why does her mail keep turning up? To unravel this riddle, Sophie must use the philosophy she is learning—but the truth turns out to be far more complicated than she could have imagined.
A book isn't the only thing Yoda, trust me.

Bean/Benijim

Loyal Servant of Altera
Title : Of Mice and Men
Genre :Fiction
Length of book : Small
Series or one book : One book
Details : Very good book set in 1950's america about a man and his friend George who travel around america during the Stock Market crash looking for work in famr houses. Georges friend Lennie who has mental problems and has the mental age of an 8 year old. They have dreams that they will own there own piece of land with the money they earn until Lennie slips into trouble.
Extra : I think there is some slight language but it is minor.

spagbog

Lord of Altera
Title : The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared (It's a long one, I know)
Genre : Comedy
Length of book : About 400 pages.
Series or one book : Just one, so far at least.
Details : It all starts on the one-hundredth birthday of Allan Karlsson. Sitting quietly in his room in an old people's home, he is waiting for the party he-never-wanted-anyway to begin. The mayor is going to be there. The press is going to be there. But, as it turns out, Allan is not...Slowly but surely Allan climbs out of his bedroom window, into the flowerbed (in his slippers) and makes his getaway.
And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving criminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, we learn something of Allan's earlier life in which - remarkably - he helped to make the atom bomb, became friends with American presidents, Russian tyrants, and Chinese leaders, and was a participant behind the scenes in many key events of the twentieth century.

That's the first paragraph and blurb of the book. I think it sums it up better than I ever could.

Extra : This is a hilarious book, but also makes you think, as he is (slightly) insane. Great read!
I think there's mild language but hardly any.

Snowthorn

Legend of Altera
Title : His Majesty's Dragon or Temeraire if you live in the UK
Genre : Fantasy/Alternate history
Length of book : Can't remember
Series or one book : Series
Details : The book is a reimagining of the Napoleonic wars with an air force of dragons. The story revolves around
the primary characters Temeraire ( a rare Chinese dragon ) and Captain William Laurence in their adventures battling the forces of Napoleon.

Extra : After I read the first book of the series I've anxiously been waiting the sequel to be published in my country so I can read it. The story itself is a great concept and the character and location descriptions are great as well.
If you like dragons then no doubt you will like this book.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
*ignores the op so he can recommend books*

Title : The Hunger Games
Genre : Fantasy
Length of book : Medium - Large
Series or one book : Trilogy
Details : Set in a future world where current territories have fallen, and a superstate known as Panem now occupies what used to be North America. Children between the ages of 11 and 18, a boy and a girl from each district, are forced to compete in the Hunger Games, a bloody fight to the death, as repayment for a rebellion many years ago.
Extra : Not as cliche and far better than the film. Very enjoyable.

Title : I am a Werewolf Cub
Genre : I can't actually think of one :confused:
Length of book : Short
Series or one book : One book, as far as i'm aware.
Details : A short and entertaining story about a teenage boy who believes he has become a Werewolf.
Extra : Very unheard of book set in Sweden.

Title : The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night
Genre : Again, not sure. Factual Story
Length of book : Medium
Series or one book : One Book
Details : A story about an extremely clever boy with a very different way of thinking to everyone else due to having some form of mental difference.
Extra : Quite a bit of language in this one. Very interesting read especially since the writer is the main character.

Title : Holes
Genre : Not sure
Length of book : Short - Medium
Details : Story of a boy named Stanley who is sent to a "Bad Boy's" Camp called Camp Green Lake, where the mentality is that bad boys who dig holes turn into good boys.
Extra : There is also a film out which is a pretty accurate representation of the book.

Title : Skellig
Genre : Somewhat fantasy
Details : Story about a boy who finds a somewhat rude and dying angel in his shed who has lost the will to live.
Extra : A nice quick read for perhaps a car journey. There is also a film out.

Title : One Dog at a Time.
Genre : Factual story, dog.
Details : A story about Sergeant Pen Farthing, who adopted and took care of many stray dogs from the town of Now Zad while fulfilling his military duties in Afghanistan.
Extra : Your heart will bleed, especially if you love dog books.

I love dog books and I will post many more, but heres a few generic ones first.

spagbog

Lord of Altera
I like you Itzza. I like you a lot. You have an amazing taste in books.

HG: Amazing.
Curious Incident: Amazing.
Skellig: Amazing.
Holes: Amazing.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Title : The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night
Genre : Again, not sure. Factual Story
Series or one book : One Book
Details : A story about an extremely clever boy with a very different way of thinking to everyone else due to having some form of mental difference.
Extra : Quite a bit of language in this one. Very interesting read especially since the writer is the main character.
I love this book!

-K9

frank frappuccino

Lord of Altera
Benijim said:
Title : Of Mice and Men
Genre :Fiction
Length of book : Small
Details : Very good book set in 1950's america about a man and his friend George who travel around america during the Stock Market crash looking for work in famr houses. Georges friend Lennie who has mental problems and has the mental age of an 8 year old. They have dreams that they will own there own piece of land with the money they earn until Lennie slips into trouble.
Extra : I think there is some slight language but it is minor.
I love Steinbeck! Everyone should be forced to Read the grapes of wrath in school! (Even though hé did not have to use an entire chapter for the guy to Walk through a field) Just one thing don't you mean the Stock crash in the 30's (It's been a While since I Read of mice and men)

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : Malazzan books of the Fallen
Length of book : ~1100 pages
Series or one book : Series, 11 books
Details : CBA to write that, check a summary on wikipedia.
Extra : Awesome, also has a side-serie (Novel of the MalazanEmpire)

Shrimpsy

Lord of Altera
Title: The Magicians' Guild
Genre: Fantasy
Length of Book: ~540 pages
Series or one book: Series of 3 books, although it has a prequel book and a sequel series of 3 books
Details: The story is about a slum girl named Sonea, who, in the annual purging of beggars and other poor people from the city to the outskirts, discovers that she possesses magical ability. She threw a stone at the magicians, who are the people appointed by the king to purge the city, and it broke through the magical barrier, knocking a magician unconscious. Certain that the guild will kill her, she goes underground with the thieves, however it is dangerous as her magic is uncontrolled...
Extra: One of the best series I've read so far, it has a different approach to magic than the mundane casting words, the sequels to this book also have a rather exciting plot.

mistaahh

Lord of Altera
You were normal once..?

Whaaa..- :eek:

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : The Witcher
Length of book : Oh... Um... 7 tomes I believe, each around... 400-600 pages?
Details : The Witcher, by Anrzej Sapkowski, is by now probably known worldwide. The books have very little to do with the games, especially as far as storyline goes, however they are certainly worth a try, moreover should be considered, by anyone who loves Fantasy genre. The two first tomes are short stories, that basically build up a prelude of what will happen in the tomes that follow. The series touch on many subjects, very subtly on most, such as politics, racial discrimination (against Elves and Dwarves...), hatred of Elves... (Heh... You end up hating their arrogance ;) ) and feelings in general, and the books are certainly very good to read.
Extra : Nothing to add I guess... Except... Buy eet!

Miner

Lord of Altera
Title ( only needed if recommending books ) : CHERUB
Genre : Action
Length of book : Each book is around 400 pages and there's 12 books in the series
Details : Original series is based around a guy called James and he's good with maths. He gets chosen to join a highly top-secret spy-type organisation called CHERUB. Now, noone in the book knows what that stands for but I do :3. People generally get recruited at ages 4-11 and do a 100-day basic training course to make them qualified children spies. There are coloured shirts that show what "rank" the person is. Orange shirt - chsen to join but not actually joined, Red - Joined, Light blue - going through 100-day course, Navy - completed basic training, Grey - Done well on a mission, Black - done awesome on mutiple missions, White - Retired.
Extra : The first book is called "The Recruit" :3