Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Bookwriting Bug Workaround

Gloonkey

Loyal Servant of Altera
Hey guys,

I know that this might not come as a surprise to everybody, but for those who aren't aware, there's currently a bug affecting books on Hollow World where, words typed after a certain point on a book page are deleted as if they were never existed the second that a book is signed. As someone who enjoys to write books for HW, I found this a seriously debilitating issue, and I've been trying to find workarounds, including the idea of selling books and quills (Didn't find it palatable) or selling links to Google Docs (I prefer using actual books). Whilst I was writing my second edition of my book on the Storm's Sickness, I unintentionally came across what I believe to be an effective workaround for the bug. As books can be signed and unsigned, this isn't a major issue, but it'll allow books to be published in a complete state, as complete as they could be with this workaround. With that in mind, I present to you several figures I've obtained.

8d15284832740718b85fc39f64afb4fb.png

Now, this'll obviously look like a cut-off page, but I want to use this as an example. In vanilla, this can't be measured nearly as effectively, however in Conquest, the strings that hold a book together are visible in the texture pack. I want you all to look at where the sentence cuts off, and then compare the location of the cut-off in this image to the one posted directly below.
9118e72e4d9dc6ebdc2f6cb978023ca9.png
Whilst the cutoff location is not the same, it's a vaguely similar location. I noticed this whilst I was writing, and I chose to do an experiment with two different pages. One, I would fill with the letter G. The other, I would cut off at a portion of the page above where the cutoff would normally occur. Here are the results.
507f97356f5adbc3dfe7ecf382667c79.png
5812a36f90e792e9d5dbe2dae3c8a5ad.png
Now, you'll notice that the one below has a substantially lower cut-off point, but does not cut off mid-sentence. As a result, we can now control the cut-off. In layman's terms, this would result in short pages and possibly shorter paragraphs, but we can actually control what our books say now, without risking valuable information being cut-off. Keep in mind that this is an early discovery that I am still investigating, and by no means is this to be considered gospel, OR a perfect workaround. But what we do have is a working alternative that seems to preserve information to the best of my ability. For those of you more experience with bookwriting, you'll notice that no two cut-off points are the same. My theory for this is that due to the hidden letters instituted by the numerical and letter-based codes that Wake showed off in his indispensable guide: Linked here, that the invisible letters make it appear as if the cut-off point is later. In any regard, I did happen to test this out on an actual page I wrote, and voila, here were the results.
aebbc30fcf49cd691f7b7830317d203c.png
A WORKING piece of writing! So here's my advice, for any prospective Hollow World authors.
1. Make sure you have Conquest enabled whilst writing.
2. Ensure that any paragraph you are writing is cut-off or continued on the next page at the same point. You can notice that the cut-off point should be around the three strings on the left hand side of the book in the middle of the page. Whilst, as stated, this is by no means perfect, especially if you are making more liberal use of colour-based text, it should work for the majority of books. Obviously if you are using more of this invisible code, cut off the page further and further up until it works.
Happy Writings, Hollow World!

Last edited:

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
If I remember correctly. It simply cuts off after so many characters. Spaces included I believe.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
A good starting point for those who use Conquest =)
I hope this helps somebody out there.

Sadly, I use vanilla. The location it cuts off for me is random, as vanilla can hold less words in books and signs in comparison. Big blocky text makes it difficult to use this as a guide. Sometimes it cuts off right at the bottom, other times it cuts off halfway.

Gloonkey

Loyal Servant of Altera
A good starting point for those who use Conquest =)
I hope this helps somebody out there.

Sadly, I use vanilla. The location it cuts off for me is random, as vanilla can hold less words in books and signs in comparison. Big blocky text makes it difficult to use this as a guide. Sometimes it cuts off right at the bottom, other times it cuts off halfway.
That's why I highly recommend at least writing books in Conquest. Even if you don't use it normally, it's an indispensable hallmarker for ensuring your books aren't cut-off.