Campaigns Update

Elz

Secretly Niah
Staff member
With the end of Starfall, there has been a small lull in events, or campaigns, and I'd like to apologise on that front. You might've seen 'Schism' appear for a while there, but it has gone now, and with me coming into the 'Event Co-ordinator' position I'd like to try and explain a few things and update you on where things stand currently. Additionally I'll try and sort this little sub-section after this is posted, but that's for another time.

Where is Schism?
Lannis was the runner of this campaign, and it was scheduled for mid July - But he has a hectic life at the moment and is more absent from the server as a result. With the shift in Co-ordinator position too, this campaign has now officially been put on hold. As a result, there has been nothing immediate to replace it, and that is where the lull comes in. Fortunately, there are things in the works.

'Cults' - Released!
While this is not a campaign, this is an upcoming (within the next day or two to be posted) system for religious organisations to encourage working together towards goals regarding the divine. The threads will explain more, I don't want to give it all away here when the threads do a far better job of it, but hopefully they're something new to work with all the same.

'A Reaching Hand' - Concluded!
This is a smaller event chain that likely won't be any longer than 2 weeks (3 if I space it out more). It isn't exceptionally intensive, but at the end will bring something back into play that hasn't been present for quite some time. I expect a lot of mixed opinions on that front, but it does lead into the next bigger campaign in some fashion too and personally I think it could be fun to play with. Apologies if it isn't your thing, however. I'll be making a thread in this section that I can update with event blurbs, rumours, and announcements, but won't be making a campaign section for it entirely (probably).

'Unhinged'
This is the larger campaign that I'm still working on and polishing up. I don't have a set date for it to begin yet, but ideally it start by October because Halloween feels thematic to it. Think more uneasy spooky things.

Last edited:

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
How long will these campaigns be? Maybe I’m just a party pooper but I’d rather like that these campaigns not be Blight-scale disasters that destroy any chance of holding non-campaign events At any time, especially during the weekends bc that’s the only time university and working people across the server can manage to get on.

Elz

Secretly Niah
Staff member
I do not plan on any of the campaigns to be following the trend of Forlorn - It was not met well with confining people to one place overall. I'm hoping they're a bit more on the subtle side so people don't feel punished for not partaking, and approach things a bit differently.
The first one I don't imagine will go beyond three weeks.
The second, I don't know, but I'll be trying to keep it shorter than Forlorn was.

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
I do not plan on any of the campaigns to be following the trend of Forlorn - It was not met well with confining people to one place overall. I'm hoping they're a bit more on the subtle side so people don't feel punished for not partaking, and approach things a bit differently.
The first one I don't imagine will go beyond three weeks.
The second, I don't know, but I'll be trying to keep it shorter than Forlorn was.
Okay, awesome! Hope I didn’t sound like an ass, the Forlorn campaign made me, well, Forlorn! Even if it was really cool :DD Anyways, I can’t wait for the next campaign! Keep up the good work Elz and co! :heart:

Electric

Lord of Altera
Legend
This sounds very exciting! I look forward to seeing some cults pop up. I remember French tried to start a (sorta evil) Shalherana cult but didn’t continue it, I feel like cults getting “legitimized” with Lore will encourage more people.

'A Reaching Hand'
I’m equally exited for this! I’m interested to see what is being brought back.

'Unhinged'
I’m MOST excited for this though. I’ve been waiting for a good horror/spooky type campaign, and I hope I’ll be able to participate actively. Can’t wait for spooky stuff to begin c:

Bartooliinii

Evil Event Organisor
Mentor
How do I submit a cult to the thread BoredBrit mentioned?
I think the Dark Order should be included there and I got loads of threads to link to for its successes etc.
Would love to get some boons for its members in this way :)

Jazzper

Bring back angry react
Staff member
I think the Dark Order should be included there and I got loads of threads to link to for its successes etc.
"Beginning of a Cult" section of the thread Brit linked

BoredBrit

Lord of Altera
Legend
From what read, the dark order is an organisation toward 3 gods, cults can only support a single god.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Also it seems the goal of the cults are to either change a god or keep someone from changing it.

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
I am glad and grateful for Elz stepping up to bring some direction to the server after months of nothing. I’ve definetly noticed a big drop in activity server-round and a lack of motivation for players to continue.
It definitely feels as though the ball was dropped with the Schism campaign being canceled due to inactivity that has been persistent for a long time. (I’m not blaming Lannis here because lives always tend to get busy, but a server campaign takes a lot of time and dedication and someone that has had/still has activity issues shouldn’t be the main hinge on the continuation of a major campaign.) It is understandable that another major campaign might be postponed until October-ish, so hopefully event staff can keep stuff rolling between now and then. I also think recruiting more DMs and event folk might help reduce stress on Staff during this time.

I’d like to see this trend of transparency that has started with this thread (regarding the progress of the campaigns) continue— it doesn’t benefit the community for everything to be shrouded in total secrecy and vague dates to be given like was the case with the Schism campaign that was hinted at in the last major campaign update post-Starfall.
Even little updates on campaign construction would be much appreciated because it lets the community know that there is progress being made.
One of the major reasons I (and others) have been inactive lately is due to a lack of a non-player-led campaigns. Server Campaigns have always tended to lead to an influx of returning and new players that is healthy for the community’s growth and Hollowworld has definetly been lacking that lately. I hope it returns with these new campaigns. :)

Elz

Secretly Niah
Staff member
Some updates:

'Reaching Hand' is now concluded. It was a small series of events that were not exceptionally intensive which ultimately came about releasing a reworked version of the 'Vyre'. You can see the conclusion and Vyre write-up here: https://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/the-rise-of-a-new-moon.46791/

I'll be taking a week to catch up with any outstanding Divine stuff (It's always going on) and trying to relax briefly but we've multiple google docs of stuff to parse through for the next campaign and we should be able to see it coming into play mid September. I'll be working with Squid and Blarg primarily (like forlorn) but Niko and Rygan have expressed interest in helping out along the way if I need some stuff doing, so there should be no shortage of DMing for it. (I'm not currently looking for any more aid, however)

I'm going to consider looking at a bestiary opening or contest at some point as well to help include some new, more interesting, event monsters for players to use.

I'll also try to take the time to see about what comes after this next one - Very up in the air, but I figured it was worth noting that it isn't forgotten.