Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Custom Faction Lore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lannis

You've yeed your last haw
Staff member
Admin
Events Staff
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Server Owner
Shadow Owner
={ Factions Plugin: [link]

I would like to feel as I did when I joined the server eight years ago; that I was playing in a world full of mysteries to discover, with players making moves big and small around it. Moving forward, we're going to take measures to try and nurture some of that magic. First on the agenda is to encourage and enable factions to feel different; that they can be distinct, and to encourage collaboration and consolidation by making faction play more rewarding and meaningful.

={ Custom Faction Lore:
I'd like to enable factions to be more than superficially distinct, and help the big ones work with Lore to develop the unique traits and features that shape their identity. These factions will have the opportunity to submit custom requests for nearly anything that further develops what makes them special: private technologies, unique relationships with nature, anything that builds off their identity and takes it to the next step. This is a nearly blank cheque; it has to fit the setting, it has to be fair, it has to fit what your faction is about, but otherwise I'm down for many things. Get creative!

Some plausible examples:
  • An industry-minded society rediscovers airships, and how to make them work
  • An Elvish conclave is particularly in tune with nature, and can ride stags, giant wolves, or other forest creatures as mounts
  • A unique way to process Glimmersteel that results in a better blade
  • A faction of mages discovers how to create stable portals to travel between their cities
  • A seafaring society that rides around on an ancient behemoth of a ship, unlike any seen today, that somehow stays afloat
  • A divine-heavy faction may receive special blessings from their patron

={ How it Works:
This is releasing with a new plugin that lets you make and join factions, which among other things allows for member activity to be tracked and compared to find the most active factions, and for factions to be granted unique abilities in other systems (namely, private crafting recipes that the faction owner can distribute access to).

The rules and process for how it works:
  • At the end of every month, the four most active factions will be able to work with Lore to get a new piece of custom lore as a faction trait, or replace one of their own. The leading four will be announced at the end of each month and invited into discussion.
  • Factions can have at most three unique traits or features at any time. This is limited to try and keep faction identities cohesive, and keep single factions from accumulating a sprawl of disparate content.
  • Not all things last forever, and sometimes technologies are lost and civilizations fall to the ages. If a faction goes heavily inactive, they may lose access to some of their unique traits as they're lost to time. (The exact threshold for this is to be determined from what the data actually looks like. I want these to be easy to maintain so it won't be a very strict threshold, but the idea of factions and technologies being somewhat transient is cool so we're keeping this)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.