Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Active Halvar Varyn

AionTbird

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
bannertest.png
702b47ed81f7a76c655b6fe6188c32ee.png
Untitled_Artwork.jpg

[Art by Veradite!]

═══════════════════════════ ◁▽▷ ═══════════════════════════

Name: Halvar Varyn
Titles: Witch, Ranger, Lord
Nicknames: Hellion (Maebh), Hal (Cieren, The Cousins), Immovable Object (Rangers), Hellbane (Yrdl)
Mage Profile: X

〘 KEY INFORMATION 〙
"With your two hands, you can create the future you want to make." - Raalvara Edelmonte

Race & Culture:
Human // Talon Isles

Social Status:
Working

Profession:
Ranger's Smith, Bosun

Current Home:
Stormhall Smithy // The Forge

Frequents:
Various Ranger Halls, Blackrush

PHYSIOLOGY
"Course, Kid. You'll end up real strong one day." - Bennett
[Art by MagicIntern]
image.png
Description:
A young man whose body has been tempered from the harsh lifestyle that he lived before moving to Storms and continued to live as a laborer. Halvar has grown into an average sized man with broad shoulders and a densely built frame. He is by no means cut, but practical muscle adorns his bones. He has strong features, a crooked nose, and his ear carries a thick golden loop for an earring. The most eye-catching features upon this young man are a brand that falls upon his left palm and scarring along his face.

Height:
5'11''

Weight:
220lbs

Hair:
Halvar's charcoal brown hair sits in ever growing locks upon his head. Tufts cover his ears, and the front is shaggily swept aside to keep it from his eyes. Sometimes, he'll keep it tied back.

Eyes:
Halvar's eyes are a dull earthen mix between hazel and green.

Unique Markings/Scars:
Faded scars upon his arms, whisps of his past.
An animancy brand upon his left palm, from his sparking ritual.
A lifetime of pacts and deals manifests in gouge scars and cuts upon his left hand.
His fingers are much paler than the rest of his skin, a remembrance from a life long passed.
Burn scars upon the right side of his lower torso and upper leg, proof of hell's wrath.
A silver scar about a halberd's width along his right thigh, given to him by a demon general.
A poorly healed cut just above his right hip, a remembrance of a hungry bard.
Lightning pattern scars starting at his right ear, crossing his eye and nose, obtained beneath the Ashlands.

Signature Weaponry:
A longsword
A spear
A round shield of machanite

QUALITIES AND FLAWS
"Like the world is coming apart before your eyes. The memory may never leave, but you needn't let it hold you. You have survived." - Clement
7fcbc6a3a85625dc8d8cc624092ced6f.jpg

Strengths:
- Tempered Heart: Halvar has been to hell and back, literally and figuratively. Through several harsh challenges, the Varyn's heart is steady and is able to take blow after blow before it buckles.
- Hardened Body: Trial after trial, Halvar has been beaten, battered, and torn. Though through these trials the Varyn's body has been able to come out stronger because of them.
- Instinctive: Halvar is very trusting of his instincts. He is able to trust his gut even when his mind hasn't caught up.
- Strong Will: If nothing else, the Varyn is resilient. He is able to take beating after battering and continue to rise.
- Loyal: If earned, the Varyn will stick by your side and raise his shield before you time and time again.

Weaknesses:
- Hopelessly Reckless: The Varyn tends to launch himself headlong into situations without a full thought before hand. He thinks that situations that require finesse can be overcome with just.. a touch more force.
- Slow and Steady: Halvar is quite large and lacks the dexterous finesse that others have. He is slower than most and lacks fine motor movement in particularly delicate situations.
- Nearsighted: Halvar has trouble seeing at a distance. His eyes have always been bad, and thus he has given up on truly mastering any form of ranged combat.
- Blood Pumper: The Varyn has a tendency to outwardly and perhaps foolheartedly search for scenarios in which his heart begins to pound. The feeling is addictive for Halvar.
- Giving: Halvar gives much in his life with no expectation of getting anything in return. This leaves him in positions to get used and for him to give until he has nothing left. Halvar has learned to be a bit more greedy. Still a work in process, but understanding of others and motives that usually follow.
- Vindictive: Halvar rarely lets a grudge go. Unfortunately this often goes for himself as well. For those outside of his select few, grace is given few and far between.

*Fears:
- Loss
- Mental Manipulation
- Physical Inability
- Judgement
- Death
- The Dark

Character’s soft spot:
His two younger cousins.

Alignment:
Chaotic Neutral

Motivation:
Halvar constantly grapples with the burdens of his history and the legacy of his ancestry, though he is driven by his name. To release the shackles of his burdens purposefully taken upon his wrists is what drives him to continue to put one foot in front of the other. To be free of what binds him. More immediately he seeks stability within his work on the Ocean as well as settling his score with Lady Grey

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
"You are not your family name. You are what you make of yourself." - J. Seeker
b4260eb3459bf0c177a204727bacbd44.jpg

*Short Term Goals:
Free unrestful souls (30/100)

*Long Term Goals:
Clear the vyres from the north.
Become something more than a legacy
Retribution.

Completed Goals:
Find Atrus
Learn swordsmanship
Find Lothaire
Learn more about Magic
Learn more about Animancy
Become a ranger
Research demons
Advance his magics
Aid in the defense of the realm
Make a forge like no other.
Create the best of tools.

Forgotten Goals:
Learn more from Ashna
Make an extension of himself.

*〘 HISTORY 〙
"You are enough." - Aryn
1dc0ec20b2add9fd64e31f79db7374ed.jpg
Before:
Of him and his father. A vague tale he's heard through walls. Always on his father's back, rescued. No word of his mother. It was always a bloody tale, but the words were always so distorted to know the details. All he knows it that it was him and Richard, together. And he protected him, he raised him, he forged him. Then, he brought him home.

The Truth:
Home. He and his family of broken puzzle pieces that didn't always fit together. The picture they wanted to create was never meant to be. For they fought too hard, and they dug too deep. Were his father's eyes always that way? Perhaps that is why he sought the flame. To fight what cannot be reached in a domain that cannot be lived within... It was never meant to be.

Liminal:
With only thoughts of what his father wanted for him, he stowed away. He came out in Queensport in the springtime, the lucky bastard. Then he traveled south. To Haven, then to Barental, then to Blackrush. This is where he had heard of other Varyns. Halvar grew up as fireproof kindling. He refused to take to the flame of any who had sought to teach him. That is until he found Lilith. One of those broken puzzle pieces... It was her until it wasn't. Then he was on his own.

Languages Learned:

Aori: 1/10 - Can tell people off in the markets.

Common: 7/10 - Fluent Spoken - Adept Reading/Writing

Eark'zian: 10/10 - Fluent Spoken - Literate - Learned from Yrdl [4/24]

Elvish: 6/10 - Conversational Spoken - Illiterate

Rede: 10/10 - Fluent Spoken - Literate

a.png

IGN: AionTbird
Discord: AionTbird#5668
Timezone: PST
Character Consent: Anything goes, just lmk beforehand.
Yeehaw​

Last edited:

AionTbird

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
SIGNIFICANT BELONGINGS
"A new beginning, for Clement laying down his arms so you may start a new era. For the both of you. Live. Truly live." - Quill

*'Chasm' -
A two handed weapon that's appearance can range from a zweihander to an axe to a warhammer. Its metal is near black with veins of ashen amber streaking throughout the material. Passed on for a chance to be better, for the both of them.

Maplewood Violin-
A stringed instrument crafted painstakingly with details of the Talon Isles. Embellished with mountainous, cold, terrain and spotted with spruce, this instrument was won as a result of a wrestling match.

Tzaw'Kzal 'Seaglass' -
A glimmersteel dagger, kept on him always.

Leatherbound Journal -
A journal that is relatively plain in design. A symbol that is reminiscent of an angular trident, were the middle of the central prong replaced with a pinwheel of hollow diamonds, a gap leaving the rings unfinished. A gift from his uncle, a glimpse into his past.

Amber Crystal -
A crystal with an almost honeycomb structure. Gifted to him as a reminder of what once was.

TROPHY CASE
"You make us so very proud." - Lothaire Dugald

Moments Alone

Name: A Vyre's Fang
Description: A spear from one of the vyres of the northern wastes. Carved entirely of ivory.
Story: Halvar was called upon by his uncle to get to the bottom of disappearances within Queensport. Through a series of investigations in and out of the large city, Halvar and a large group of experienced northsmen and huntsmen made their way into the frozen wastes of the north. The blizzard howled and blew specs of ice that felt like glass upon the skin. It was the dead of winter, and the party could not see more than an arm's width in front of them. Without warning, several spears and arrows flew from beyond sight, striking down those who strew to far from the group proper. It was a bloody battle and of the number that left Queensport, only half returned. Though, the squadron of vyres was irradicated. The spear serves as a reminder that the vyres still infest the north and Halvar feels a great amount of duty to remove them.

Name: Dark Battleaxe
Description:
The demonic weapon that struck his shield that earned him the title 'Immovable'
Story: The rangers tracked demon sign early in the invasion. Footsteps larger than a horse led them to a demonic entity as large as a windmill. This battleax was its weapon. Halvar found himself within range of the creature and it dug it into the stone, sweeping it in a large arc. Halvar could have moved out of the way, but he tensed his shoulders, dug in his heels and braced for impact. The round shield made purely of machanite aided the man in halting the hammer. Halvar's bones ached, his form rocked to the core. The archers at his back dug their ammunition into its form but it was angered by Halvar and his audacity to attempt to stop his weapon. He gripped the large weapon, the head as large as Halvar himself and twice as heavy, and swung it downward toward the Varyn. At this point, his legs were rocked, and his bones were still vibrating. He couldn't get out of the way. In a desperate attempt he discarded his blade and gripped his shield with both hands, bracing. A large metalic clang resounded throughout the fields of grain, he could hear his allies yelling toward him through the ringing of his ears. But he was standing. Frustrated the beast stared him down, yelling downward. The Varyn stared death in the face and yelled his own war-cry as the weapon swung once more toward him like a hammer toward a nail. This time solely targeting the battered man. Again, a metalic clang. Again... when the dust settled, the Varyn was standing.

Name: Ebony's Horn
Description: The horn of a demon general that Halvar aided in slaying.
Story: The rangers stepped through the rift into hell. Halvar armed with enough gear that he could have used a pack mule. They had trudged through the heat and ash ridden lands, though a forest of fungus and terrain rocky enough to cause even the most seasoned of hikers to stumble. Eventually coming across an outpost. The rangers had stealthily approached the building and made quick work of the demonic occupants. The next objective was then made clear, a spire surrounded by a lake of lava. Halvar led the pack with his shield, he and the party arriving at the large gate. Making use of his animancy, Aryn's quick blades, Jaden's evicism, and the deft archers of the rangers, the group quickly cut down the Ivory King's forces as they reached the top of the tower. A towering and lithe being with skin colored of Ebony. It had three piercing yellow eyes and two twisting horns atop its head. It's mouth, curiously, was sewed shut. It wielded two blades of bone and conjured blades that it could will through the air as easily as Aryn could swing his own blade. Jaden was able to conjure a storm of lightning, casting it down upon the creature. Halvar was able to deflect one of her blades while Aryn and the archers peppered it with blows. Aryn took a gruesome strike to the abdomen, but Halvar was able to slip in and skewer it with his spear. He was able to hold it in place for just long enough so Aryn could level his sword and finish the job. This long, twisted horn of ebony is all that remains.

Name: Bloody Bone's Claw
Description:
The claw from the demon that nearly killed Halvar.
Story: The Rangers had found the Ivory King's fortress. Walls towered over the hellish landscape, forming as the last line of major defense before the Ivory King could be reached. So humanity devised a plan. Deconstruct siege machines, forge their way through the mires of hell, and reconstruct them within range. Halvar was placed upon the team to protect the carrying crew and the firing squad. All was going well- the Ivory Keep's defense rooks were crumbling to the ground, the advance team was cutting down forces with little losses of their own, and the team of siege engineers were working flawlessly together. Then the generals arrived. Two mighty beings entrusted with the task of defending the keep, and each of them went to intercept the two squads. One on the advance team, and one upon the siege team. The team was met with a large covering of smog- ash and heat that choked the senses, and immediately the team was surrounded. Illusions of a long and spindly creature, covered from head to toe in blood of mortal and fiend alike, menaced the party. Curses unlike Halvar had ever seen before plagued him. Sigils were carved on his bones, snapping them like they were feathers. His mentality was raided, plaguing him with visions of the unimaginable. The Varyn only had threads of consciousness left. His vision was gone, and his ears were ringing, but he saw the creature floating above him. His one good limb extended, the brand of animancy brought forth as corruption began to spread through his veins. A small tear was opened up and the spirits of the damned began to scream. Halvar was able to hold a rift to the river open for mere seconds, allowing spirits to come and rip what they could from the General. The tear faded with a breath that Halvar thought would be his last. Until he awoke beyond hell's portal, surrounded by his allies. He had lived.

Name: Ivory Remnants
Significance: The hand from the Ivory King's prince, preserved. And the broken skull of the King himself.
Story:

RELATIONS
(New/Update marked with *) [Name - Association]
Thoughts
[Family]- Bound by blood, considered more important than himself.

*[Amren - Cousin] :

Of my two younger cousins, I see Amren the least. Though she's got that wandering spirit of her old man. It hurts my heart to see her growing so quickly, but it brings me a great amount of pride to see her standing on her own two feet.

*[Bennett - Cousin] : "Whatever y'need, Kid."
You said it yourself. I'd grow up real big and strong one day- I never would have guessed I'd be taking you head on in a wrestling match, though.

*[Clement - Uncle] : "Rest Halvar, and forget not who surrounds you, and the peace your actions have earned you."
Clement, my uncle. You bring me a certain sense of security, one that reminds me of home. I am able to look fondly back on those times when I am with you. I will learn to live well. For the both of us.

[Lothaire - Uncle] :
I do wish I could see into your mind. To see what you are thinking. Too often I find myself wondering where you might be or what you might be doing. I wish you the best and cherish the moments we have together even if they are few and far between.

*[Lilith - Aunt] :
You showed me the world through a new lens. You taught me how to be curious and now, your soul is free. Dranoden has to grasp on you any longer. We will count this as a new beginning, Let us move forward, as we did before.

[Maebh - Cousin] : "Let them make of you what they will, but don't let them make you what they want. There's no profit in it."
I get lost in your words more often than I would like, but no matter how much time passes between our meetings, y'make it feel like nothin's been lost. Glad to call you my blood.

*[Quill - Medic] : "Your best will always be enough, no matter the conclusion."
Even though our talks are few and far between, it is like no time has passed when we meet. She is someone who keeps me accountable, who checks me when I’m starting to slack. She pushes me to be better, and I am appreciative for that.

[Reyne - Uncle] : "The young cub. He's grown to a proud bear... Son of Varyn, you are a sight for sore eyes."
Though our meetings are few'n far between, seeing the man in his visits help me remember where I came from. His presence is always welcome in my home.

*[Veldric - Cousin] : "Maybe it really is just in our blood, or maybe we are just too blinded to see another path."
I easily see myself in him. Desperate to prove himself, weight of expectation on his shoulders.

[Pacted] - Those considered closest

*[Avalyn - Lighthouse] : "I need you tah put your trust in me too... I won' leave fer as long as you don'."

A lass of the seas. Home. One who has taught me much in our time together... It's odd to think that there was a time where I had walked without her. It's easier to put one foot in front of the other with her aside me.

*[Lysander - Macabre] : "Ahh yes, nothing like brotherly bonding over otherworldly viscera."
No matter the circumstance, he continues to support me. It feels undeserved, but there is a certain comfort that comes with his company. I can only hope he feels the same, as hard it is to read him sometimes.

*[Som - Shelter] :
An unprecedented shelter of the wild. I feel like with her, I've found a family which I can rely upon. I only wish to do right by her, and make up where I have let her down.

[Yrdl - Unstoppable Force] : "Even as hell quakes, you will remain stalwart."
A brother in arms. An earthspawn that I respect greatly on many levels. Between the two of us, we’re unbreakable on the battlefield. When I find myself by his side in battle, my blood can't help but begin to pump in anticipation.

[Respected]- Those that Halvar trusts to have at his back.

*[Aryn - Hunter] -

Keen with a blade and even sharper wit, never a word wasted with him around. Every time I see him is a reminder to practice my bladework. He pushes me to be better, an example to live by.

*[Ashna - Judge]
If you would have told me five years ago that I'd be working side by side with the Grey Lady's exalt I would have laughed in your face. Even still I.. find myself wishing to make reparations with her, with her goddess. And she seems to be willing to let me have that chance. Something I'm grateful for.

*[Cieren - Wildling] :
She's wandered back it seems. It's good to see her safe, I hope she can find her place here.

[Joseph - Senior Ranger] -
When compared to the other rangers I've probably known Joseph for the least amount of time. Though, I see a lot of myself in him. He reminds me a lot of my father when he wasn't dolling on about Ignis. If there's one thing that I do know about him for certain, it's that he has my back. And I'll be damned if he won't let me return the favor.

[Jaden - Evist]
A proven fighter and evicist. I can tell why everybody looks up to him and why Yrdl respects him. He has a fierce and stoic care that I don't find in many others.

*[Kharn - Pirate]
He is a good ally and has taught me a lot. Whether it be directly or just by me watching him. He is capable and willing to aid when I ask. And hell if there isn't ever a dull moment when he walks through the door.

[Marian - Scourge] :
A woman with no remorse and a fire beneath her feet. It seems she's a large driving force in the Rangers. Contrast to Som, she seems a bit more prone to springing into action. A good mentor nonetheless, whatever poor soul has caught her wrath should know better than to try and face her, though. Hiding and runing would be their best bet.

[Good Company]- Those that Halvar enjoys spending time with
*[Alex - Deckhand]
Elise's kid. A Briarwood. Time will tell if she has similar tendencies. But she's good enough company.

*[Alyssa - Plantswomen]
Aryn's daughter and a practiced formist. She's got a curious mind and seems to have the right attitude about using her magics. Still loyal to Theodra. Above all else she's easy to talk to. A welcome visitor whenever she manages to stop by.

[Connor - Balladeer]
A fellow who's company I've come to enjoy over the course of our meetings. I feel oddly about going back to talk to him after what happened... I just do not wish for him to feel guilty over it. I would do it again, in a heartbeat.

*[Eliss - Gambler]
I've found he's good company. His wit and banter are fun to bounce off of. I don't know too much about him, truly, but Avalyn seems to trust him a good deal.

*[Elthea - Archivist]
She’s proved herself, taking her magics into her own hands. As much as I wish to understand it, I know I never will truly be able to. She still has much to learn but I believe that she’s taking the right steps forward. I’ll be interested to see how she fares under the rangers.

[Gunter - Mind Weaver]
He seemed to know my uncle, and one of his friends. It's easy t'talk to the fellow, and he seems like he knows quite a bit about cogimancy. Through speaking with him more, I realize we might have more in common than I first thought. Funny lad.

[Ruvan - Barkeep]
The dwarf has been there since my beginning on this continent. A constant, a smile, and a voice that I can always count on. He likely doesn't think much of the urchin that begged him for soup... but his words and his kindness will never be lost on me.

*[Tiek - Daughter of Earth]
As time has passed, I've seen her grow in her understanding of the world. I think she's beginning to find her place. She may not be the easiest to understand at times, but I find myself enjoying her company no matter the circumstance. She has a perspective that most lack. And I appreciate that about her.

[Vivendel - Scribe]
She's different than me in a lot of ways, though she's easy t'talk to. Seems she's just starting to settle in her ways, mind on the books. It was an unlikely meeting, between the four of us in that cave. I.. am glad I met her that day.

[Known]- Those who Halvar recognizes by name

[Athryl - Wrinkle]

I'm unsure how to feel about him. Up front he seems like he's a well minded fellow, earnest. But the things I've heard beg to differ. I wonder what his true motives are, what his aspirations may be.

[Gaelwyn - Spearman]
An elvish fella that took up the spear. Seems he's keen on learning all there is to know. I hope I can help him out some, sometime. Though seems he's got a teacher already.

[Kam - Leader]
A strong woman and a bold leader. She has the weight of her people on her shoulder, and she seems worthy of respect. I can see where Yrdl learned his values and his strength. I'd like t'get t'know her better.

*[Laicelem - Recruit]
An adept fighter. His shift in faith is.. concerning. I do not know him as well as I probably should, but he is a constant presence around the Rangers. I'm sure it will happen sooner rather than later.

[Luna - Scholar]
A friend of Avalyn's. She seems t'have a sweet heart, cares for her work, and above all else is determined. The few times I've been 'round here have been pleasant, lookin' t'get t'know her better.

[Mylokh - Realmsguard]
I've only spoken with him once, but his prowess shows well in his smithing work. Seems like a lad I'd get along with well. I hope to see him on the other side of this conflict and learn more of him.

[Podric - Lightbringer]
The man is a beacon of his godess. The one chosen by her. Her values represented in human form. If I spend more time around him I might learn more about what happened to my father.

*[Sukoiza - Islander]
She's taken an interest in my home. Where I grew up. It makes it difficult to make arrangements when I haven't seen that isle in a little over a decade. Aside from that, she seems like one I would enjoy teaching. She has a knack for the spiritualistic. Something that I find in fewer folk nowadays.

[Uriel - Crusader]
From what I've seen, this man is very capable. His martial prowess is obvious and his intent to keep his allies safe is clear. I don't know much about the man outside of stressful situations, it'd be interesting to see how he acts when he's not on the battlefield.

[Varik - Northerner]
I just recently met him in the north during an expedition to Queensport. He seems strong of heart, perhaps a bit thick. He reminds me of home, and I wish to know him better.

[Disliked]- Those who Halvar holds some sort of grudge against

[Ignis Synnove - Murderer]

I will find a way.

[Vyres of the Frozen Wastes - Pests]
I'll find you, one way or another. The north is not for the likes of you.

[Ashes in the Wind]- Those who have fallen

[Richard Varyn - Father] : "I'm proud of you, son."
In my own way.. I hope I can meet your expectations.

[Wolfgang of the Vyres - Flout] : "I shall either live my life the way I am, or I shall face oblivion likewise."
One who went against the flow. One who died for his ideals. I mourn your death.

12.png

Last edited:

AionTbird

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
[!]

There's nothing usually strange about Halvar disappearing for a week or so when he goes on a journey, but days pass and Halvar does not return to the dinner table. His family would be the first to notice... Those are frequented by his visits find that they don't recall seeing him for a couple weeks. Odd, but nothing too peculiar in the lands of Altera. What could have happened to the young Varyn?

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
Where tf is SOM on those relations

Fortune

Legend of Altera
Patron
Pronouns
He/Him, She/Her, They/Them
___Fortune___
___Fortune___
Patron
You have a strangers section. Add Aki just cuz they spoke one time.

AionTbird

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
Been over a year. Have some updates.

+ New/updated relations marked with a * (poke me if you want a relation)
+ Most sections on the main profile have been updated.
+ Will continue to add stories to the trophy case as I find motivation.

AionTbird

Lord of Altera
Retired Staff
Main post and relations updated. If I missed you in relations, poke me to add. All updates marked with a *